Printer Friendly - re: NYC curbside Louis Vuitton: fake or stolen?

NYC curbside Louis Vuitton: fake or stolen?
Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2004-08-18 17:58:45

So I bought a fake Louis Vuitton wallet on the street in New York.
It is very convincing.
And the guy selling it to us seemed scared to death of the cops around the area.

What are the odds that it's real?
Like, stolen and sold on the street...
Does that ever happen?

And if it is indeed real, did I commit any sort of crime by buying it?

re: NYC curbside Louis Vuitton: fake or stolen?
Posted by newyorkuniq 2004-08-18 18:08:35

just a knockoff :)

Posted by kissmycookie 2004-08-18 18:16:39

It's beyond fake. So no crime committed. As stated by Undiscovered, it's illegal to sell on the sidewalk without a license. So that's what the guy was afraid of the cops.

Posted by BroadwayMonkey 2004-08-18 18:37:58

I bought some in NY, thinking they were knockoffs. Under further inspection, I have come to the conclusion they were real. So I'm a criminal. Damn myself.

Posted by Broadwaygirl4life 2004-08-18 19:05:17

I bought one at a flea market and I brought it to school and all my friends where like "Oh my, its real" They said if it has a certain thing on it you can tell if it is real. All of my friends said it was stolen. There weren't that many there that he was selling so, hmm I don't know.

Posted by WiCkEd4LyFfE 2004-08-18 19:15:26

if there is any label on it try to peal it off. If it slides off(which it probably will. sry) then its fake.

Posted by LongIsland Grl 2004-08-18 19:21:36

It's definitely fake. Trust me, I practically live on Canal street. Sorry.

Posted by shesings 2004-08-18 19:55:54

well its illegal to sell them whether they are knockoffs or stolen, so I wouldn't make that your deciding factor. I have 2 that I got off the street and one of them is definatly fake, the other I'm pretty convinced is real for various reasons. In any case the average person isn't going to have a clue. Especially people who aren't from NYC and don't deal with everyone selling the knockoffs. SO if I were you I'd flaunt it like the diva you are and if anyone asks if its real just give them a sassy look or wink. Let them draw they're own conclusion - which will hopefully be that they wish they were as cool as you!

Posted by Matt_G 2004-08-18 20:01:16

What's a trip to NYC without buying a fake rolex or a fake purse?

Posted by sabrelady 2004-08-18 20:13:21

1) quality of leather- Vuitton insists on using perfect hides.
2) is there a numbered ID card w the item ( usually have to check w another item to see if the number changes!)
3) How does it wear? if it starts to crack or pull apart in 3months or less... fake!
Fakes are illegal cos they are copyright/trademarked. Canal st sells pounds of 'em but u gotta go thru a security rigaramol like MI5!

Posted by newyorkuniq 2004-08-18 20:32:31

You can tell the difference on LV stuff because on the real ones the LV is thinner and further apart. The knockoffs are kinda fat and clumped together.

Posted by kitkatgirl54 2004-08-18 21:34:50

this website should be really helpful.. the girl who runs it is obviously obsessed but it's pretty interesting.

http://www.hisremnant.org/Vuitton/fakes2.html

Posted by shesings 2004-08-18 22:06:24

ok, so after looking at that link maybe mine isn't real after all... but whatever - I can't imagine anyone looking that closely. If they do I don't want to know about it! And I honestly would rather pay what I did than hundreds of dollars! I've had mine for over a year and its still in top condition!

Posted by Dirty Rotten Scoundrel 2006-05-26 16:18:14

I remember reading an article about identifying fake Louis Vuitton purses, and one thing is that on the black metal symbol that says "Louis Vuitton" with a layer of leather underneath, if it has stiches, it isn't real.

Posted by Broadwaylady 2006-05-26 16:20:59

I had a great fake LV. My cousin's wife told me the secret in spotting the fake from the original. The original does not have the LV near the seams of the bag.

Posted by etoile 2006-05-26 16:23:17

Who are these new posters and how do they always find their way to the Off-Topic board first?

Posted by ~FloweryFriend~ 2006-05-26 16:51:44

Oh my word! This is such an old thread!

I have a feeling that someone found it through a search engine and joined up to ask their question.

Posted by munkustrap178 2006-05-26 16:54:46

Yeah, definitely fake. Don't even get me started on peopl who buy fake bags...

Just another tip...

Real LV bags don't come with tissue paper on the hardware, or that string tag. The real LV bags have no tags attached - only two or three little stringless tags inside the bag.

Also, with all LV bags, fakes are generally lined with suede. Real LV's are lined with canvas - brown for the monogram, orange for the damier.

Posted by neddyfrank2 2006-05-26 16:57:38

I thought that it was if the pattern is inconsistent.

Posted by SweetQintheLights 2006-05-26 16:59:41

Wow! I thought I was reading a new recent thread! haha

I always learned that on real Louis Vuiton purses, the writing always runs into the zipper while fake ones, the Louis Vuiton ends on the purse and doesn't run into the zipper.

Did that make any sense?

Posted by ZONEACE 2006-08-28 15:05:32

why is it that everytihng but the i's in your post are capitalized?

Posted by Calvin 2006-08-28 15:06:42

That's the new "ransom note" font.

Posted by Love4Cheno 2006-08-28 15:19:54

kitkatgirl- that's the most entertaining website i've seen in a while!

I've never understood the appeal of fake merchandise. It usually looks cheap to begin with. Just a personal thing, but I'd rather have the real (quality) thing, or just live without it.

Posted by courtnyj 2006-08-28 15:51:47

Calvin, you crack me up.

Posted by muscle23ftl 2006-08-28 15:54:54

OMG, if i buy a fake Louis Vuitton I'd keep a secret. What's the point of getting a fake LV and scream it out loud? I really couldn't care less about brands, so I buy cheap wallets that are usually better quality.

Posted by blueroses 2006-08-28 16:09:05

"What are the odds that it's real?
Like, stolen and sold on the street...
Does that ever happen?"

So fake. No question! You can only buy real LV from Louis Vuitton or authorized department stores or merchandisers. You'll never get anything authentic from some schlub on the lookout for cops selling crap out of a garbage bag on the corner. As long as you are okay with that, fine.

Posted by SNAFU 2006-08-28 16:58:42

I never understood the appeal of Louis Vuitton, even the real stuff. It is just plain Fugly!!

Posted by tagiunagi 2006-08-28 20:00:57

What about other brands? Coach? Gucci? How do you tell if they're real or fake?

Posted by SNAFU 2006-08-28 21:54:41

Rule of thumb: If you buy it from a guy who has them displayed on a blanket curbside or who shows you glossy pictures for you to chose from then disappears for 10 minutes after you choose to get it for you or you see it in any store on Canal Street area... It's a fake