Printer Friendly - re: To all board posters -- please read

To all board posters -- please read
Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-07 20:16:21

Apparently, according to a certain board poster who has taken issue with me since their first post on this board, numerous board readers take issue with me and have sent HIM messages about me, but have not had the decency to send me their thoughts on their issues with me. At this time I would liek to take a poll, if you will.
I began posting on this board becasue of the friendly, non-hostile atmosphere here. However, if so many frequenters of this board take issue with me, I will see no further reason as to frequent this ite.
I would just like to ask the opinions of the people on this board as to wether I should continue as a memebr of his website.
If the majority of the popele here take issue with me, I will have no issue with leaving and finding other places with which to spend my time online.

re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-07 20:18:25

:)

This is hilarious. Yeah, BroadwayGuy, you're a nice guy!!! Do you feel better? You have completely misconstrued my "attacks" from Day One. If you can't take the heat, get out of the message boards. (Oh, and this is all too ironic when you consider the various things you've said about different Broadway performers over the past months. How is that you can show so little regard for their feelings and we're supposed to gently stroke yours?!?)...

-DR

Posted by DofB5 2003-07-07 20:25:39

There's no problem that I know of or have.

D

Posted by Sunfish 2003-07-07 20:57:47

No problem here either.

Besides it will be impossible to get a "majority" vote, as there are many more people registed than post, and, I imagine, many more readers before that.

People will always gossip about *somebody* behind their backs. Anyone can claim anonymous support from the masses; I've seen it often enough. If they don't complain to you personally then I suggest you consider the source of the information that they care at all.

Posted by AReinkingfan 2003-07-07 20:59:18

Well... I love you, BG2. (And I'm a lesbian!! EEP!) Hang in there and stay awhile, Sister. ( :

Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-07-07 21:10:07

We will always have our differences. This board is about Broadway & the theater. There is no reason to leave. I do not want you to leave. We can agree to disagree & be civil about it. We probably have many agreements regarding theater. Lets have discussions re theater.It was political postings (politics ) & the arguements which always follow that killed the other board. We do not agree on many things but would probably agree on other things but I do not want you to leave. Let us call a truce & start over again. I am holding out an olive branch. Can we agree that "Popeye" is an absolutely god awful musical? Perfectly cast but a musical with no music, book & no choreography . This makes "Mame" look like "Gone With The Wind" . Do you agree ?

re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-07 21:10:52

Yes Roxy, I do agree with you there. :)

re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-07 21:14:22

Oh, why did you have to use THAT for an example? I loved "Popeye" when I was a kid... especially that great "He Needs Me" song that was also used in "Punch Drunk Love" last year. Can't I like it? Please?

re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-07-07 21:17:10

You can like it but I got halfway through it & it did not do it for me ? If it does it for you, great.

re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-07 21:18:03

Maybe it helps that I was 10 when i first saw it :)

Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-07-07 21:20:19

Thanks & welcome back . What about Popeye ? Duane Reade likes it If you like it great. I would be curious to know what you thought of "Popeye" If it is before your time, it is now out on DVD. Rent it & let me know what you think.

Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-07 21:22:14

I thought Popeye was enjoyable for what it was. Robin Williams is a brilliant comic in my opinion. That fil though,is very far from being great cinema.

re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-07-07 21:22:25

To Duane Reade

Being 10 certainly helps. The film is one of the better cast movies I can remember but the final product is lacking. Altman proves as a serious director, stay away from musicals. John Huston did a rotten job on "Annie" too

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-07 21:24:11

Agreed. I can't watch it easily as an adult, but I do think a few of the songs are slightly underrated :)

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-07-07 21:30:58

A very few. The idea was great, the cast was great. The music was not.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by SueleenGay 2003-07-07 21:43:29

What was this thread originally about again? Oh, yes. See how easily we forget our differences and get back to what really counts? Discussing theatre! Isn’t it nice when we all get along? By the way, POPEYE sucks! (Kidding, I kind of thought it was kind of sweet, and that baby was sooo adorable.)

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by PJ 2003-07-07 21:48:44

Don't leave Broadwayguy2. Just yesterday we both said how homey it was at this board. Now, for some reason, things have changed. STAY

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Butch2 2003-07-07 21:55:50

Where else can you fish for compliments and actually get them? I bet if you subtitled this thread "Please beg me to stay" you would be even MORE satisfied!

Posted by Dollypop 2003-07-07 21:57:30

If you decide to leave us BroadwayGuy2, please use your new free time with a good grammar and spelling textbook. Your skills in both areas are extremely lacking.

To all board posters -- please
Posted by Sunfish 2003-07-07 21:57:34

What I find kind of funny is that two different posters thought the original post applied to themselves. My guess is that if you recognize yourself in what was written you might want to reconsider the way you communicate.:) (FYI, I have no problem with either of those who identified themselves either.)

Posted by Dollypop 2003-07-07 21:57:44

If you decide to leave us BroadwayGuy2, please use your new free- time with a good grammar and spelling textbook. Your skills in both areas are extremely lacking.

"So Long, Dearie!"

Posted by tpdc 2003-07-07 21:58:34

Stay! If someone doesn't like what you write, they should skip your posts.

Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-07 22:04:46

Once again, thank you -- to most of the poeple here.

To all the little "poeple"....
Posted by Mr. Tuttle 2003-07-07 22:13:04

Please. I've seen bettering whining from a dog. Are you really that lonely?

You came on this board and started bashing people for their opinions.

Now..you wanna hold hands and feel the love...for you? Give me a break. Your choice of words and insults in the past have proven you are immature.

And this act of despiration only proves it.

Posted by Dollypop 2003-07-07 22:13:06

I think you're making a tundra out of an ant hill.

Posted by Broadway Bulldog 2003-07-07 22:15:21

BG2, why leave if you enjoy reading and responding to the posting? If someone doesn't like you it's their issue. A differing opinion is acceptable, deliberate cruelty is not (to paraphrase Tennessee). My advice is not to take postings so seriously or personally. Enjoy them for what they are--other people's opinions that, sometimes, might cause each of us to rethink our own.

Cheers, Broadway Bulldog

Yours for a better Broadway!

Posted by ErikJ972 2003-07-07 22:23:24

So when I first starting reading this thread I thought what a waste of time. But then it turned into a discussion about Popeye and instantly became one of my favorite threads of all time. I LOVED that movie when I was little. In fact, I remember I audio taped it from the TV onto casette so I could listen to it over and over. Of course now when I watch on DVD I see what a bad movie it was...but in such a good way.

Posted by Musetta1957 2003-07-07 22:38:42

" Apparently, according to a certain board poster who has taken issue with me since their first post on this board..."

No, that would be compulsivebowlers.

Don't be such a drama queen.

Posted by Mr Roxy 2003-07-07 22:43:38

To Broadway Bulldog

I couldn't have said it any better. I agree 100 % . Though I may disagree with everything someone says, they have a right to their opinion & I respect that. This is all I ask in return . Disagree with me all the time, if you want, but just respect I have a right to my opinion also. As long as my opinion is not personnally offensive, we should respect everyones opinion.

I have changed my opinion over the years on many issues. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. A closed mind is a waste.

I done with pithiness for the evening. Thank you very much

Posted by BillyLawlor 2003-07-08 00:05:23

Broadwayguy- you are my favorite poster. I love you- don't leave. You are so smart, sarcastic, and funny. Please stay. And screw all of those who don't like you!

Posted by RobD 2003-07-08 00:18:00

As Rodney King said "Can't we all just get along?" I think the answer to that in a place as passionate as a theater community is probably "not always!" But, what everyone can always do is to show respect for one another, and to post as such. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and with it comes responsiblity. If we all remember that we're not just saying something nasty to a computer icon, but a real person - I think we'll be A-OK. I think over the past two months that 99% of the time everything has run wonderfully because most people realize that.

Let's keep it up!

Rob

Posted by TheaterBaby 2003-07-08 01:15:24

BroadwayGuy2, I don't always agree with some of the things you say (lol I know his original post was not intended for me in any way...we have never had words), but that doesn't mean I don't respect your right to say those things. This is America. Stay here because you enjoy posting and reading; not because people like or don't like what you write. There will always be a difference of opinion, and that's what makes us human.

I enjoy reading your posts for the most part. If others don't, then they don't have to read them or continue to post here. They can find a website where they will get along with every single member (news flash: That will never happen).

Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-08 02:12:57

Frankly, I enjoy this website -- as I have told Rob, I even made it my homepage. It just severely disturbs me the way some people on this board seem to take issue with me. I believe we all have seen who these individuals are. I do make an attempt at ignoring these oposts, but certain people who dilike seem to find pleasure in responding to my posts for no purpose other than to attack me for what ever reason. I also believe certain individuals frequent certain other site(s) and trash me there as well and then try to shoulder blame on myself when I have done nothing to deserve such treatment.

Posted by voiceanth 2003-07-08 07:41:05

Oh come on....

It's not like you've been attacked for little to no reason like....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Melanie Griffith, shall we say..(LOL)

Please stay....

I think this board is becoming quite fun.......

Posted by orion59 2003-07-08 08:04:09

Is this some ploy to get people to compliment you?

If not, why bother? Does the opinion of a total stranger on a message board impact your life that much? The issue seems a bit childish.

Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-08 08:21:02

Why would i use a "ploy" to get poeple to compliment me?? That uis totally ridiculous. Excuse me, I am sorry. It was brought to my attention that people on this board take issue with. Their ipproval frankly is not that important to me, but I would like to be able to visit this site without certain people being competely rude to me and this letting this place become a 'slam Bwayguy' forum like a certain other board. Excuse me for wondering if what I was told about poeple didtaste of me is true and wanting to make a decision of where to visit based on the FACTS of that situation.

Posted by alterego 2003-07-08 08:32:32

I have no problem with you or your opinions. It is the various thoughts and observances of all here that make this messageboard worth visiting.

Posted by McRuff 2003-07-08 08:46:55

I'm with Tuttle and Orion. When Orion asked you if it was a ploy to gather compliments about yourself you answered with "Why would I use a ploy....?" You just reasked the question without ever answering it. And it's kind of shameless.

I vote that you either end this thread with a Sally Field-like, "You like me! You REALLY like me!" or that you, in fact, leave and find someplace where you don't feel a need to poll other members to find out their opinions of you.

Posted by CJR 2003-07-08 10:44:03

Stay crazy8 -- I like ya!

While going through almost the same kind of thing myself last year on another message board, one of my good friends said to me "a forum wouldn't be a forum if everyone agreed." which is absolutely true on every spectrum. Just do your thing and forget others who can't respect an opinion. It's SO not worth it to get hot and bothered over.

Honestly. It took me some time to be able to do that myself

Posted by Albin 2003-07-08 11:16:35

Guy...don't sweat the small stuff and believe me, what people think about you on a message board is definitly small stuff!!!
Life's is too short to be worried about insignifigant comments posted here. I for one hope you stay. I don't always agree with your opinions but some of your posts are very funny.

Posted by orion59 2003-07-08 12:26:53

Maybe my next question is why are you so defensive about my comment?

You have to realize that when you ask for feedback, you may not always like what you hear. I'm one of those people who warns frioends "Don't ask my opinion if you're not willing to hear an honest answer that may not be what you are hoping to hear". You put a general question out tehre and ask from opinions from posters. As a regular poster, I feel I am being asked my opinion.

You ask "why would I use a ploy to get compliments?" I don't know. I don't know if you would. I never met you so, i posed a question. And that is my whole point. We don't know you, you don't know us so why should it matter what we think of you?

What I or anyone else thinks about you is not based on any personal knowledge and therefore can't be considered valid. You can't get the "facts" of the situation by asking our opinions of you. Anything I say about you is not a fact since we have never met.

Posted by TheaterBaby 2003-07-08 13:17:25

"I'm one of those people who warns friends "Don't ask my opinion if you're not willing to hear an honest answer that may not be what you are hoping to hear"."

OMG, me 2! I'm a little too honest at times. LOL one of my friends (in particular) will alway ask my opinion, even if we're with other friends because she says, "Christine will tell me the truth." She doesn't always like my answer, but she likes that it's an honest one. I'm sorry, but if an outfit doesn't look right, or your hair is screwed up, I'm gonna tell you for your own benefit.

Sorry for rambeling.

Posted by amneris4ever 2003-07-08 13:24:58

OMG...Have we regressed to elementry school?

Posted by broadwayguy2 2003-07-08 13:26:30

only recently.

Posted by orion59 2003-07-08 13:58:04

I know what you mean TheaterBaby. I certainly don't try to hurt anyone by being honest but will be very frank if I think it benefits someone. Like recently when a friend was in danger of pushing away a great relationship because of her fears and past relationship problems. Or, in the case of this thread where someone is willing to allow the comments of another to prevent him from participating in something he enjoys.

People ask for the truth then get upset when you give it to them. It may be considered elementary school level to some but, my feeling is that if I enjoy posting I will continue reagardless of what another poster says and if you don't like what I say, you just don't read it.

I honestly think BWayguy2 is giving people on this forum lot more over his actions than they deserve to have.

Posted by robactorguy 2003-07-08 14:11:20

to the people who bag on other people on this board.

Are you really that bored with your life that you feel the need to constantly bag on someone on the internet!!??

They're just words, people have the right to voice their opinions, but it shouldn't be personal attacks, there's a difference!

Think about this people.

Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-08 14:13:53

I can't believe this discussion is still going on. It all started because BG2 got his feelings hurt by me. But I think that there are plenty of people who get their feelings hurt by him, constantly. Starting with my good friend Melanie.

Posted by robactorguy 2003-07-08 14:14:51

your good friend Melanie?

Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-08 14:15:54

Mrs. Banderas. He was MEAN to her.

Posted by robactorguy 2003-07-08 14:19:03

ok, but initially was he mean, personally to you??? It wasn't a personal attack, but somehow this was made into a personal attack. When a person voices his of her opinion on how good or crappy an actor is or is gonna be we simply voice our own opinions back WITHOUT personal attacks. That's what this board is for. It went horrible wrong in broadway.com THAT'S WHY IT WAS SHUT DOWN.

I REFUSE the fact that this board might be shut down due to more personal attacks!

please voice your opinions as much as you want, just try not to make it personal. :)

-robactorguy

Posted by Duane Reade 2003-07-08 14:23:46

Okay, but by that same token, what did I ever say PERSONALLY about BG2 or Mr. Kerry Butler (Rob)?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by robactorguy 2003-07-08 14:26:50

I'm not sure, that, I can't say.

I know this sucks and someone's feelings are hurt. But if we can try to move on from this and continue this board as civilized patrons we can continue to voice our opinions as well as receive valuable broadway information that we may not find elsewhere.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by RobD 2003-07-08 14:31:18

This board will never be shut down [touches wood] and I hope to not have to heavily moderate it... That said, personal attacks = no good, so if you've got something to say other than discussing something theatrical --- save it for a Private Message or impress your pet with whatever witty comment you've thought of. That'll save me from having to actively moderate which I'll do if I need do, but would certainly prefer not to. Nuff' said on this topic I think.

Rob

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: To all board posters -- please read
Posted by Broadwaylady 2003-07-08 15:32:11

Come guys, let's get along. Things were going quite well on the board. We all get passionate about our love for Broadway. That's okay but don't let us resort to petty behaviour. I myself never sent a PM about BG2 or complained about him. Life is too short. But, I will alway wonder how in the hell he did get 1,000 posts in such a short time. Only kidding. We don't want Rob to monitor us.

Posted by aurora1958 2003-07-11 00:29:20

Well, I joined this board for the same reasons, that it was friendly and open and I felt you could voice your opinions have them accepted as that. And if someone disagreed, they usually did it without resorting to insulting your intelligence and/or tastes because they didn't agree. You have to admit that a couple of your posts have done that, but I never held it against you, figured that was just your way, unpleasant as it might be.

I see no reason for you to leave, but you should be able to take what you dish out once in a while. Better yet, let's just have civil disagreements and no one should feel offended.