Printer Friendly - Maybe Susan Boyle in Blood Brothers revival?

Maybe Susan Boyle in Blood Brothers revival?
Posted by duffny1 2019-01-08 12:12:11

Just a thought (sorry if others posted the same - i did a search). I loved the original Blood Brothers. Do you think Susan Boyle can act? She slays Wild Horses and it made me think of Blood Brothers. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3XAP0c8WU&list=RDYb3XAP0c8WU&start_radio=1&t=260

Posted by Dollypop 2019-01-08 22:19:49

Susan Boyle has a great voice but has far too many emotional/ psychological problems to face the rigors of 8 performances a week.

Posted by Theatrefan2 2019-01-08 22:43:19

Dollypop said: "Susan Boyle has a great voice but has far too many emotional/ psychological problems to face the rigors of 8 performances a week."

That and the fact she cannot act.  While the song was lovely, she showed no emotion at all.  They very wisely lit the back in a way to give emotion to the song.

Posted by amoni 2019-01-09 09:40:07

Well that sounds a bit cruel. Do you always disparage those with disabilities?

Posted by dramamama611 2019-01-09 09:59:01

Why do so many people think that one talent is automatically connected to another?   MANY singers (regardless of the genre) would be horrid actors.   

Posted by JBroadway 2019-01-09 10:27:59

dramamama611 said: "Why do so many people think that one talent is automatically connected to another? MANY singers (regardless of the genre) would be horrid actors. "

Because these days it seems the primary standard by which musical theatre performers are judged is just “how well can they belt?” 

Posted by darquegk 2019-01-09 11:25:20

I don't think it's immediately obvious that she'd be horrid- she's a standards and show tunes singer of about the right age and "type" to play the part. I'd audition her if I were casting director, as she'd obviously be a draw- in fact, the idea that she hasn't YET done any musical roles makes me think either she doesn't want to or can't act, or is not in the right psychological/emotional shape for the demands of sustained performance. Because she's certainly been asked.

Posted by Deena Jones 2019-01-09 11:33:50

Would LOVE to hear her sing Tell Me Its Not True, Bright New Day and A Light Romance

Posted by Dollypop 2019-01-09 14:29:28

When Susan Boyle sang on DWTS, she almost fell apart on camera. Donny Osmond rushed over and hugged her until she finished her song. The poor woman has a load of problems she's dealing with.

Posted by Mister Matt 2019-01-09 16:49:23

Susan Boyle has a nice voice, but she can't act.  Watch any video of her singing and there's nothing that indicates she can convey character or setting.  Now, Jodie Prenger is someone I'd cross the pond to see in the part.

Posted by HereAndThere2 2019-01-09 17:02:45

I decided to withdraw my comment.

Posted by Deena Jones 2019-01-10 12:36:57

Just heard that Linzi Hately is going to lead the British tour!  

Posted by SweetLips22 2019-01-11 07:15:21

If Ms Boyle has kept the dress and revisits the look from her first appearance before Simon Cowell, then she has the perfect 'style' for Mrs Johnston--and the voice.

Posted by EdEval 2019-01-11 20:28:39

She would also be good playing Fosca in Sondheim's  "Passion"  ,