Printer Friendly - Cody Simpson to make Broadway debut in Anastasia as Dmitry

Cody Simpson to make Broadway debut in Anastasia as Dmitry
Posted by Br0adway 2018-10-16 18:46:13

Zach leaves 11/25. Cody starts 11/29 for 11 weeks.

Is this the beginning of stunt casting to save Anastasia?

Posted by _(•_•)_/ 2018-10-16 18:48:01

Tf? why you gotta ruin Anastasia with him

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-10-16 18:50:52

I was obsessed with this kid in middle school and saw him 9 times in concert and met him twice . He has a really nice family . i was just listening to his newer music last night and I thought it sounded much better than his old stuff. I saw a tweet from him yesterday saying that he was in NY and wouldn't have any more concerts after his show in Chicago in a few weeks so I was thinking he got cast in something .  He's a good 10 years younger than Christy Altomore so that would be interesting

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-10-16 18:52:50

We posted at the same time. Haha. MannPhan, I share the same sentiments. Especially his age compared to Christy. Hoping he does well.

Posted by _(•_•)_/ 2018-10-16 18:53:59

Anastasia is now the newest Victim of Stan- twitter. Not a good reaction to the casting announcement

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-10-16 18:55:23

I don't know who he is, but he's got 7.6 MILLION Twitter followers. So he should add something to the box office. Could be another Brendon Urie situation?

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-10-16 18:58:22

_(•_&bull_/ said: "Anastasia is now the newest Victim of Stan- twitter. Not a good reaction to the casting announcement"

Since when does Stan Twitter mean anything?

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-10-16 18:59:28

Here's another thing, when my mom & I saw Kinky Boots last month , there were Australian tourists sitting next to us. My mom was telling them that I was obsessed with Cody back in the day but "moved on to Broadway".. Kind of funny that this is now happening

Posted by kelsey1389 2018-10-16 19:00:32

I think this is probably a somewhat misguided attempt to stop Anastasia's numbers from slipping more than they already have been. Misguided because no one over the age of maybe 15 (?) really knows/cares about this guy. I'm a pretty young theatergoer myself but his fanbase is tweens. I don't think this is going to go over well with the Anastasia fans. At all.

Posted by Br0adway 2018-10-16 19:02:18

SomethingPeculiar said: "I don't know who he is, but he's got 7.6 MILLION Twitter followers. So he shouldaddsomethingto the box office. Could be another Brendon Urie situation?"

I would think it should help the box office but his target demographic is 15-20 year olds with little to no money. That demographic might not help the box office (like a Be More Chill situation). I've also never heard of the guy. I'm from Philly so if they're also targeting Australians to come to the USA to see him then Anastasia casting directors/producers are crazy. 

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-10-16 19:05:53

MannPhan24601 said: "Here's another thing, when my mom & I saw Kinky Boots last month , there were Australian tourists sitting next to us. My mom was telling them that I was obsessed with Cody back in the day but "moved on to Broadway".. Kind of funny that this is now happening "

If we’re being totally honest I used to rewatch the episode of so random he was on daily for like the entire summer of 2012. I was in love.

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-10-16 19:07:58

This is getting a really negative reaction on all the social media accounts.

This isnt really a great idea if they are trying to make a few extra bucks, his fan base consist of girls under 15.

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-10-16 19:08:06

kelsey1389 said: "I think this is probably a somewhat misguided attempt to stop Anastasia's numbers from slipping more than they already have been. Misguided because no one over the age of maybe 15 (?) really knows/cares about this guy. I'm a pretty young theatergoer myself but his fanbase is tweens. I don't think this is going to go over well with the Anastasia fans. At all."

I'm 20 and most of his core  fans were older than me back in the day . I'd say they'd be about 22-26 now if they are still around 

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-10-16 19:12:32

Does this show really need stunt casting?

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-10-16 19:14:22

To be honest, if they casted someone like Ben cook or any other newsie, they would be fine.

Posted by Br0adway 2018-10-16 19:20:33

While we're at it, lets talk about the rumor going around that Christy was leaving in Feb/March.

If he's only there for 11 weeks (so that is Feb sometime), and the rumor that Christy is leaving in Feb, do we think the show might be closing? Could bringing him in for these 11 weeks be the deciding factor for if the show stays open or closes? 

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-10-16 19:26:13

GreeneStreet said: "To be honest, if they casted someone like Ben cook or any other newsie, they would be fine."

Cast. Casted is not a word. (sorry, it's the pet peeve to end all pet peeves for me)

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-10-16 19:26:42

I have not seen this many people upset over a casting then when Carley Rae Jepsen was cast as Cinderella.

He doesn't have many acting credits other then some animated movies he voiced in.

This might be good for them and help boost sales up a bit.

To be honest im kinda frustrated, I understand this is a business and you need stars to run and sell a show, but what I liked so much about the show was that it was basically a cast of zero names. It wasnt this big hollywood shabang. So im kinda upset the show now has to stunt cast to keep it running. But thats broadway for ya!

Posted by StardustsChild 2018-10-16 19:28:13

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Does this show really need stunt casting?"

This is my point exactly. The show is doing great in the box office. This feels very preemptive - also, as someone who vaguely grew up alongside Cody Simpson (same age as him, he did a show at my middle school when we won a contest, etc), I doubt he will work as stunt casting. Yes he has a lot of social media followers but if you look at his actual engagement, a lot of those aren't actively engaging with him in a way that could translate to ticket sales/a dedicated following. Plus Brendon Urie had expressed interest in Broadway beforehand, and this is out of nowhere. 

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-16 19:28:33

...who?

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-10-16 19:31:03

The grosses keep floating between the 500K-700K range, so producers wouldn't waste money on a "star" if they didn't actually need one -- especially during the typically-lucrative month of December. If he's a draw, this could give Anastasia a big Christmas sales spike and help it coast through the darkest days of winter (11 weeks would take him through mid-Feb). It feels like a strategic move.

And... If he has fun doing it and isn't embarrassingly bad, he could sell the heck out of a short run in Australia.

Posted by VotePeron 2018-10-16 19:31:43

Why stunt cast? Why him? This makes no sense. Even Cody, whose music I’m actually a fan of won’t get me to sit through this bore of a show for a third time.

Not to start rumors, but do we think Zach Madkins is collateral damage in all this? Kind of like Brittain Ashford in Great Comet? Such a shame. I hope he left on his own accord and finds work soon, he’s so talented. 

Posted by Br0adway 2018-10-16 19:53:27

VotePeron said: "Why stunt cast? Why him? This makes no sense. Even Cody, whose music I’m actually a fan of won’t get me to sit through this bore of a show for a third time.

Not to start rumors, but do we thinkZach Madkins is collateral damage in all this? Kind of like Brittain Ashford in Great Comet? Such a shame. I hope he left on his own accord and finds work soon, he’s so talented.
"

I started following Broadway right around the Great Comet thing (I still don't know what happened there anyway) but I too hope he left on his own terms. I hope they did go to him and say "you're not brining in the money we wanted so good bye" (but honestly, was Derek Klena brining in a lot of money?). 

Zach did post a few tweets about saying bye to a bad relationship. Maybe he was talking about leaving Anastasia and something negative happened while he was there? I mean it happens in every work place so I wouldn't be surprised. (Unless that's the Great Comet thing? Lol) 

Posted by Elegance101 2018-10-16 19:54:25

This is one of the more random casting choices IÂ’ve seen.

Also, they are not “doing great” in terms of weekly grosses.

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-10-16 20:17:04

Remember the David Cook going to Kinky Boots thread ? This seems so negative compared to that even though there were so many "is this a joke " comments?? Feels like Broadway is casting my childhood

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2018-10-16 20:19:53

Hi have no idea who this is. Never heard the name before today. But this is over the holidays when families with kids who (I guess) like him will be here, I guess itÂ’s not a bad idea for sales?

Posted by Rainah 2018-10-16 20:25:55

I'm still laughing at the person on facebook who called him a "Diet Anatole"

Anastasia fans might be upset, but they're not really the target market for this. They already like the show. They've already seen the show. They will likely buy tickets again (because it's their favourite regardless of who is playing Dmitry, to see Christy before she goes, etc). Their target market is fans of Cody Simpson who will now buy a ticket to see him in it.

Posted by Br0adway 2018-10-16 20:57:45

Most of tonight's comments from Christy's instagram live are: why is Zach leaving, Cody who?, Cody will fail, or what are your thoughts/feelings about this.

I didnt take notice to see if any of the girls are reading the comments.

I'm starting to feel bad for the guy. Literally everyone thinks hes going fail. I mean, maybe he will but give him a chance first.

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-10-16 21:04:56

Im really suprised at all this hate.

And yeah I watched the live too, no one was really happy about Cody.

Posted by Dollypop 2018-10-16 22:47:17

Was Cody Simpson ever on DWTS? I'm trying to figure out why his name is so familiar to this old fogey. Does he have a twin brother?

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-10-16 22:51:30

IÂ’m shocked Anastasia is getting lashed at. I thought given the fanbase, theyÂ’ll be overjoyed that a dream boat is getting hired. It isnÂ’t like Cinderella where they hired reality stars to be the Stepmother.

For me, itÂ’s WHY they hired a pop star when any Broadway name like Aaron Tviet or Corey Cott would be perfectly fine.

Posted by Dollypop 2018-10-16 22:55:17

Okay, my granddaughter told me Cody Simpson WAS on DWTS a few years ago. He didn't last long.

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-10-16 23:10:54

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I’m shocked Anastasia is getting lashed at. I thought given the fanbase, they’ll be overjoyed that a dream boat is getting hired. It isn’t like Cinderella where they hired reality stars to be the Stepmother."

I think it’s a few things, really. Cody isn’t exactly a theatre star and has no acting experience (that I know of - I’m not an expert on Aussie pop stars). Dmitry is supposed to be nearly 30, and not only is Cody actually much younger than that, but he reads very young too, especially compared to Christy Altomare. The fanbase seems less concerned with a shallow “dreamboat” than with someone who fits the role - after all, Zach Adkins is a handsome dude but not necessarily an “animated prince” guy the way Derek Klena looks, but they love him a lot.

That’s actually the other thing: I’m seeing some reactions that seem to think Zach is somehow getting pushed aside in a Comet-sequel way; whether that’s true or not, he’s remarkably well-loved considering this is his only Broadway credit, and a lot of fans seem to be very much “team Zach” in this imagined snub. 

Posted by ArtMan 2018-10-16 23:42:11

He did a cd signing about 4 years ago at my friend's store.  I looked at some recent pictures of him.  He looks way older than 21 now.  Fours years ago he really did look younger than his age.  Could be some bad pictures I saw, but, to me, he could easily play 30 years old.

Posted by RippedMan 2018-10-17 00:09:09

If Zach is an original cast member he could have just not renewed. Or maybe they bought him out. He’s not getting “fired” for no reason, that’s what unions are for. He’s fine. And can Simpson sing? I mean “My Petersburg” is a tough song to sing.

Posted by Ladybug101 2018-10-17 05:00:08

DWTS is a sometimes guilty pleasure and strangely I thought of Cody yesterday after no thought since his pretty quick departure but his then pro was just quoted in an article saying she never had a younger partner than herself until this season. 

I remember Cody (5 years younger than his partner) was not easy to train for Witney, the young newbie pro -- he had a mind of his own (to his detriment) which probably hastened his exit. I hope in the 10 DWTS seasons (5 years in real time) that Cody has learned to listen and acquiesce since he has not become the next big thing in pop. He also does not look particularly young to me in current photos for those fearing a visual disconnect with his co-starring with Christy.

I guess Witney blocked "bad boy" Cody from her memory since he obviously is younger. For a tiny blast from the past her current partner is the very engaging, nice and front-running Disney kid Milo Manheim, the son of Camryn Manheim from the The Practice among other things. 

And finally you can keep up with the zeitgeist of those going up and declining in their careers with DWTS.  I wouldn't have known of Zendaya if not for her participation.  Alas, I seem to be an information junkie.

Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2018-10-17 05:31:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6NbWVhZF8U   Since I had no idea who this was, I found this on YouTube.  I'll be Switzerland and say I don't have an opinion of him, one way or another.  The producers have to find people that they think might bring in a new crowd into the theatre.  Time will tell whether that actually happens.

Posted by natashalost 2018-10-17 07:44:46

RippedMan said: "If Zach is an original cast member he could have just not renewed. Or maybe they bought him out."

They bought him out. Zach’s contract ended in March around the same time Christy’s ended. 

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-10-17 12:36:45

Zach was for sure bought out. Which leads me to believe that they must not have a great advance coming up.

Also out ot the 400 instagram comments on Anastasia announcement, theres probally only a handful that are positive.

Not that stan twitter can do anything but a pretty well liked comment says

“Thanks for reminding us to avoid Anastsia for the next 11 weeks” looool

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-10-17 12:58:54

Okay last post on this subject, but I checked Cody’s instagram where he made the announcment and just like I suspected almost all the comments are like “ah wish I could go”, “im broke so i cant go”, “nooo i cant go to nyc” 

his fan base doesn't look like they can make it. I know I will buy a ticket just to see what his performance is like, and just like Jorge I watched the so random! Episode with him lol

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-10-17 13:05:11

Zach was bought out and the reason why I know this is because they just got done putting his face up all over the city about two weeks ago. If they knew Cody was coming in they wouldn't have done that and waste the money.

Posted by Elfuhbuh 2018-10-18 00:25:37

Stan Twitter is just being obnoxious at this point. Cody Simpson hasn't even done anything to warrant anger, and yet these kids are trying to make it sound like it's some huge scandal that led to him being cast. Yeah, Zach was probably let go, but that's the unfortunate nature of show business. If you're not packing in the seats, then someone has to take your place.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-18 09:32:21

I'm also surprised at the perceived amount of vitriol directed at this casting. I mean it's only Anastasia. The movie version had Aaliyah sing the radio version of "Journey to the Past". 

Posted by Kad 2018-10-18 11:18:08

Isn't the point of stunt casting to get people in seats who may not otherwise have been interested? Casting someone with teen girl appeal in a show that is already built on teen girl appeal is redundant.

Posted by kelsey1389 2018-10-18 12:24:07

Sorry to post on this thread again, but from what I'm seeing on Twitter...

Zach seems to be a "fan favorite" for Anastasia and people are pissed that his contract was bought out. Seeing a lot of comments about how its not fair that they bought out a hard working, trained musical theater actor for someone who has no training and who is already famous. I'm also seeing a lot of "this is pointless stunt casting, the show's numbers are fine!" which to my knowledge isn't true (they've been slowly slipping for months now) but I'm not about to pick that fight with anyone.

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-10-18 12:30:22

At the end of the day Theatre is a business, and Zach is great in the role but they need someone to bring in tickets. Cody if everyone likes it or not is gonna bring in more tickets then Zach.

But what Anastasia will soon figure out, is that people wont be there to see Cody, they will be there to see Anastasia and Cody will be an added bonus.

This whole thing seems like it was such short notice. Literally weeks ago they had a new advertisement deal with Zachs face all over the city. The advance must not have been great like other posters have mentioned

Posted by Itonlytakesajourney 2018-10-18 12:41:27

IÂ’ve seen a grand total of about three people on twitter confirm theyÂ’ve got tickets to see Cody. While social media isnÂ’t an accurate indicator of real life, itÂ’s telling that the younger part of his fanbase (and the most prominent) are all posting/commenting how they wish they could see him, but donÂ’t have the money. He might fill some seats, but not enough to permanently impact the showÂ’s numbers.

Zach was bought out. The new marketing just went up a few weeks ago, with his face plastered all over the city. DoesnÂ’t sound like a very good business move for him to suddenly leave two month later. Time will tell if bringing in Cody was actually worth it, or if heÂ’s any good.

Posted by nolanativeny 2018-10-18 15:50:26

I used to work at abercrombie kids many many years ago and there was a Cody Simposon song that would play there called "iyiyi" which is about how I feel reading this news, aiyaiyai

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-10-18 16:03:14

Zach being in the marketing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this being a sudden buyout, but it's a possibility. Plenty of shows have advertised using performers who aren't in the production (Waitress tour with Betsy and TV commercial with Jessie, The Producers, etc) or with models (Rocky, I think Hairspray?). Cody is only in it for 11 weeks. The title of the show is still the show's brand, Cody is just an addition to it. 

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-10-18 22:46:06

Count me as another one who doesn’t get it. Cody Simpson was sort of within my generation, but he was never popular the way any other “stars” were. It’s very Carly Rae again - sure, people know who these stars are, but is that enough to draw in ticket sales? It would’ve been easier to stunt cast Vlad - get a comedian in the role or something. John Bolton is incredible, but the role could definitely be simple for someone to learn, and he’s in enough scenes to satisfy people buying a ticket to see one person alone.

Posted by jen_in_toronto 2018-10-29 17:06:07

I saw Anastasia for the first time this past weekend...went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I also happened to see Cody Simpson on the subway...he does not read 21 in real life. Also my friend that I was with had no idea who he was, but we're twice his age so...

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-10-29 19:17:06

jen_in_toronto said: "I saw Anastasia for the first time this past weekend...went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I also happened to see Cody Simpson on the subway...he does not read 21 in real life. Also my friend that I was with had no idea who he was, but we're twice his age so..."

How old did he read to you?

Posted by MaddieBB12 2018-10-31 09:59:09

I'm on the tail end of Cody Simpson's generation, and I am very curious to see how he will do. I'll be eager to hear reports from those of you who see him in the role!

However, I would buy tickets to return in heartbeat if Kelsey Grammer ever reprises his role as Vlad from the movie, akin to Jonathan Freeman in "Aladdin" and  Sasson Gabai in "The Band's Visit" right now. That would be inspired casting.  The role onstage is larger than it is in the movie, and probably a similar amount of stage time to Grammer's role in "Finding Neverland". I love John Bolton in the role very much, but maybe when his contract is over!

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-10-31 10:27:59

MaddieBB12 said: "I would buy tickets to return in heartbeat if Kelsey Grammer ever reprises his role as Vlad from the movie, akin to Jonathan Freeman in "Aladdin" and Sasson Gabai in "The Band's Visit" right now.That would be inspired casting. The role onstage is larger than it is in the movie,and probably a similar amount of stage time to Grammer's role in "Finding Neverland". I love John Bolton in the role very much, but maybe when his contract is over!"

This would be absolutely amazing! As a '90s kid, seeing one of the original voice actors join the show would be a dream.

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-11-27 13:29:27

He starts on Thursday . He seemes to be tweeting more about his new music than making his Broadway debut ....Don't see much talk about it so I guess people forgot ?

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-11-27 18:38:27

MannPhan24601 said: "He starts on Thursday . He seemes to be tweeting more about his new music than making his Broadway debut ....Don't see much talk about it so I guess people forgot ? "

It’s not a “stunt cast” people are interested in, that’s for sure. It might’ve been better if everyone hated the casting. Nothing is worse in this business than apathy.  People are willing to go see a stunt cast in hopes of them being as awful as they imagined (like Carly Rae Jepson or Fran in Cinderella). I suppose people just aren’t interested either way.

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-27 18:49:05

He is going to look very young playing opposite Christy..

https://mobile.twitter.com/broadwaycom/status/1067498039877804034

Posted by inception 2018-11-27 20:07:47

Someone said this show didn't have stars, but wasn't Ramin Karimloo in the original cast?  Anyways don't know much about the show or Simpson, but google found me this selfie he posted this summer.  Not bad.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-11-27 21:03:18

inception said: "Someone said this show didn't have stars, but wasn't Ramin Karimloo in the original cast? Anyways don't know much about the show or Simpson, but google found me this selfie he posted this summer. Not bad."

I wouldn't say that Ramin is a "star" outside of theatre circles and thus not a real star attraction in a way that would significantly attract ticket sales.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-11-27 21:37:44

Bwayfan292 said: "He is going to look very young playing opposite Christy..

https://mobile.twitter.com/broadwaycom/status/1067498039877804034
"

They seriously couldn't get him a better wig? Not only does the wig (or his hair) look awful, he looks extremely young like you said. He looks nothing like Dmitry. Dmitry needs to have a classical hero look like Derek and Zac. Hoping his performance is great!

Posted by RippedMan 2018-11-28 01:22:48

I don't give 2 craps about this show, but don't see what that picture has that the other 2 don't? Is it cause he's a blonde? He looks great. 

Posted by Wicked132 2018-11-28 03:56:14

I'm still struggling to see why they thought casting Cody was a better move than keeping Zach on until his contract ended. It's not like Cody has any particular star pull? And he's so young? Hey, he may be good at the role, who knows! I'm not optimistic when he has no acting or theatre training whatsoever.

Posted by theaterlyfe19 2018-11-28 08:19:32

I understand everyones frustration where Zach is considered. I understand hes been with the show for so long, working his way up from ensemble/understudy to leading man. I actually saw him, and I really loved his portrayal of Dimitry. I absolutely adored him. Broadway is a TOUGH business, so to do what he did is extraordinary and shows what a strong performer he is.

However, as I'm sure we're all aware,  at the end of the day, Broadway is a business. A production/producers could discover that someone that had COMPLETE faith in, enough to put up advertising with his face on it all over, is just not bringing in the money they expected. They know the show is loved-they know the show has a strong, incredibly strong fan base. But not all of those fans could be bringing in the money they need. So they have to consider all their options.

A name of a show alone can bring in big money- Hello Dolly! comes to mind. I actually don't think the two are comparable because Bette Midler is a much more known name than the actors who have been in Anastasia. Outside of the Anastasia fandom, I'm not sure if a lot of the cast names are well known. Also--while I'm here, I'd like to apologize if I'm rambling.

If a show isn't making money and producers see a way they could potentially bring in more people who haven't seen the show already-why would they hesitate? Yes, I definitely think Zach should have finished out his contract first. However, based on sales, I'm unsure if the show would have kept going? I think there have been plenty of actors who have been contracted for long runs, but for some reason or another, plans change for the better of the production. I doubt there's a vendetta against Zach. He is a dedicated professional who was the victim of unfortunate, rude circumstances.

I've been seeing so many comments about how Anastasia is closed because of Cody coming in. I've seen one comment thanking Anastasia-they have no plans to see Cody so they'll save money. Question: have these people seen Cody in the role? Have they heard him sing the songs? Have they even given him a CHANCE? It is very easy to judge when people don't know a persons theatrical background or if they find out they don't have any. It's very easy to judge if that person is known for something else, and you're not a fan of their other work. But if you're a fan of a show, don't you think you could be a little supportive? The producers wouldn't have blindly cast him. They have faith. And that's all Cody can ask of from you, and from Anastasia audiences.

Okay. I have rambled enough. Rant over. Sorry

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-11-29 18:18:52

Im here tonight, and will report back.

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-11-29 18:32:14

I thought you only see Cats.

Posted by SweetLips22 2018-11-29 19:08:15

Can someone post me his package, thanks.

Posted by Elegance101 2018-11-29 19:21:20

That photo posted above is making me so uncomfortable. And yet, I can't look away...

Posted by inception 2018-11-29 21:18:04

Elegance101 said: "That photo posted above is making me so uncomfortable. And yet, I can't look away..."

Sorry.  Put it behind spoilers for you.

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-11-29 22:26:59

Move over Carly rae jepsen, theres a new worse stunt cast taking charge! I don’t even know what i witnessed tonight. Sure he has a great voice, but he has virtually zero stage presence, and zero acting capability. When he is on the stage, he cares more about his singing then he does actually moving a story.

He attemps to oversing Christy mutiple times throughout the show, and for those of you wondering, he looks very, very young next to Christy.

This is an over exaggeration but it’s almost like Sarah and Andrew in tuck. You know theres an age gap.

The teenage girls in the audience were loving it though. If this is what Anastasia is going to be putting out, I am fearful.

As always though, the rest of the cast were great. Max von Essen was killing it.

Posted by InTheBathroom1 2018-11-29 22:45:30

Picked up a rush ticket last minute cause I havenÂ’t seen the show and Time was running out and I can confirm it was hard to watch. Basically like watching a mediocre performer in a high school musical on a stage with a bunch of Broadway pros. Frustrating.

Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2018-11-30 07:47:02

Unfortunately, Max Von Essen's last day with "Anastasia" is December 16th.  I had wanted to see him in the show.  

Posted by VotePeron 2018-11-30 10:13:57

This is the face of someone who's realized he's made a very big mistake.

Photo Coverage: Cody Simpson Takes His First Bows in ANASTASIA

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-11-30 10:32:58

I was going to post that article. ThereÂ’s little to no connection in his bows. Disappointing, but not surprising that Cody isnÂ’t good. Maybe he will warm up?

Posted by natashalost 2018-11-30 10:46:25

How was his accent?

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-11-30 11:16:22

Anyone else have anything to say on it? It seems like no one is interested at all. And yeah, that picture of his bow looks soooo uncomfortable. Did he have any chemistry with Christy at all?

Posted by InTheBathroom1 2018-11-30 11:21:17

I went into it open minded and wanting him to be good. Little connection to Christy, though she was trying her damn best. Often times, he wasnÂ’t even looking at her. However, I thought the rest of the cast was in great shape.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2018-11-30 11:33:43

disneybroadwayfan22, what article are you referring to?

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-11-30 11:44:07

Zero chemistry. ItÂ’s clear this is the cody show, during In a crowd of thousands, he barley glanced at her and was more focused on him singing and attempted to oversing her.

Posted by Frances Walton 2018-11-30 13:12:12

Br0adway said: "VotePeron said: "Why stunt cast? Why him? This makes no sense. Even Cody, whose music I’m actually a fan of won’t get me to sit through this bore of a show for a third time.

Not to start rumors, but do we thinkZach Madkins is collateral damage in all this? Kind of like Brittain Ashford in Great Comet? Such a shame. I hope he left on his own accord and finds work soon, he’s so talented.
"

I started following Broadway right around the Great Comet thing (I still don't know what happened there anyway) but I too hope he left on his own terms. I hope they did go to him and say "you're not brining in the money we wanted so good bye" (but honestly, was Derek Klena brining in a lot of money?).

Zach did post a few tweets about saying bye to a bad relationship. Maybe he was talking about leaving Anastasia and something negative happened while he was there? I mean it happens in every work place so I wouldn't be surprised. (Unless that's the Great Comet thing? Lol)

He definitely was pushed out. He was only 8 months into his contract and no one signs an 8 month contract. The theatre also just "redecorated" the outside to include pictures of him. He was pushed out. 

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-11-30 13:15:07

Frances Walton said: "Br0adway said: "VotePeron said: "Why stunt cast? Why him? This makes no sense. Even Cody, whose music I’m actually a fan of won’t get me to sit through this bore of a show for a third time.

"

He definitely was pushed out. He was only 8 months into his contract and no one signs an 8 month contract. The theatre also just "redecorated" the outside to include pictures of him. He was pushed out.

"

The Brittain situation is a great comparison, from what I know of the situation: setting aside a longtime but non-famous cast member in an attempt to goose the numbers. (The bad relationship thing was not about Anastasia, though, I don't think).

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-30 14:01:30

Social media responses have been pretty negative, except for the Cody stans.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-11-30 14:44:52

LizzieCurry said: "disneybroadwayfan22, what article are you referring to?"

The bows article. Man, those pics were so awkward.

Catsbroadwayfan said: "Zero chemistry. It’s clear this is the cody show, during In a crowd of thousands, he barley glanced at her and was more focused on him singing and attempted to oversing her."

This makes me pretty mad. Christy deserves so much better.

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-11-30 14:49:02

It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

(Granted, I usually don't catch her lives until she's done, and I tap through it, but I don't see him anywhere).

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-11-30 14:54:23

Can we please not talk about the whole Zach thing here? It's bad enough that stan Twitter hasn't shut up about it for almost an entire week. We get it, some of you don't like that Zach's contract ended early. I don't either, for that matter. But that's showbiz.

Posted by lgoody117 2018-11-30 15:00:21

I don't think anyone is surprised by these reviews. Hopefully he improves over time. 

BroadwayPrincess3 said: "It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

(Granted, I usually don't catch her lives until she's done, and I tap through it, but I don't see him anywhere).
"

I watched Christy's Instagram live last night. Max joined her for the entire video. She asked him towards the end of the live where Cody was and Max implied he was in his dressing room and they both acknowledged that they should probably let him be for his first show - which I get. He was probably nervous and wanted to stay focused. Christy of course only sang his praises during the entire live. 

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-11-30 15:06:51

lgoody117 said: "I don't think anyone is surprised by these reviews. Hopefully he improves over time.

BroadwayPrincess3 said: "It doesn't look like he's been on any of Christy's lives either, which is strange to me. He's got that same break, and it would be good for not only befriending the cast, but being exposed to Christy's audience as well. Everyone gathers in Christy's room, or at least stops by to say hi. Is he just holed up in his dressing room waiting to do In a Crowd of Thousands?

"

I watched Christy's Instagram live last night. Max joined her for the entire video. She asked him towards the end of the live where Cody was and Max implied he was in his dressing room and they both acknowledged that they should probably let him be for his first show - which I get. He was probably nervous and wanted to stay focused. Christy of course only sang his praises during the entire live.

"

I totally get that first performance jitters thing. It makes a lot of sense to me. Though he has actually been in the building before and just commented on the live instead of actually going into the dressing room. I'm sure the energy in Christy's room isn't for everyone. I probably wouldn't be able to handle all the exuberance every day (which isn't a knock on her or anyone - I love watching the lives). But I would get the appeal of stopping by, talking for a few minutes, getting some candy, and returning to the peace and quiet of my own room, haha. 

Hopefully he'll pop by soon. 

Posted by BLs68 2018-11-30 15:07:59

lgoody117 said: "I don't think anyone is surprised by these reviews. Hopefully he improves over time.

"

"

She also kept asking if she and Cody had chemistry and Amy said “weelllll” and didn’t answer the question. Even Christy picked up on no chemistry. I feel bad for her. 

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-11-30 15:20:35

https://youtu.be/q6O0Ebqgefw

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-11-30 16:19:52

I'm so furious. Apparently, Cody's manager is pushing Christy around at the stage door 

http://damianhubbards.tumblr.com/post/180658757027

https://twitter.com/bwayIizzy/status/1068614502101524480

https://twitter.com/muellerbenoist/status/1068583368227463168

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-30 16:23:54

ThatÂ’s so upsetting, she does such a great job at making people feel good at the stage door with her kindness. This is going to be a mess

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-11-30 16:40:22

I won't post it out of respect, but I ran across a photo of her last night at the stage door and she looked pretty upset. Poor thing Does that Anastasia management know that Cody's management is taking over? Why didn't Cody do anything about it? <<edited by BWW staff>>

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-11-30 16:59:17

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I'm so furious. Apparently, Cody's manager is pushing Christy around at the stage door

http://damianhubbards.tumblr.com/post/180658757027

https://twitter.com/bwayIizzy/status/1068614502101524480

https://twitter.com/muellerbenoist/status/1068583368227463168
"

When I was active with Cody's fandom back in the day, he was with Bieber's management and they charged a crap ton of money for M&G tickets . M&G for his first tour was only about $20 then it went up to about $100 not even a year later playing at the same venues when he started with Bieber's management. I always heard stories of Cody's parents sneaking fans in . Cody's dad took my mom & I backstage pre Bieber management when the concert got moved and we had to change our 4th of July plans(This was at an amusement park). I saw good things  about the management he swtiched to recently but this seems even worse....Good thing I don't really follow him anymore and probably won't get back to NYC until the spring. I plan on seeing Anastasia in Philly in April. I would have liked to have seen Christy though...

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-30 17:06:36

If you look at CodyÂ’s insta story, theres one where he comes out of the stage door and the look on ChristyÂ’s face is so depressing.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-11-30 17:10:42

Bwayfan292 said: "If you look at Cody’s insta story, theres one where he comes out of the stage door and the look on Christy’s face is so depressing."

Yup, that was the picture I found online

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-11-30 17:22:53

Posted by WldKingdomHM 2018-11-30 17:44:25

I would of thought that he would of drawn a  bigger crowd at the stage door. She looks miserable. We love you girl. Next.

Posted by InTheBathroom1 2018-11-30 18:20:50

I love Christy and that is the saddest I have ever seen her and it breaks my heart.

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-11-30 18:43:58

I love this show a lot. I wanted to like Cody and hoped he would help drum up some numbers to keep this open. But honestly? I think this stunt has backfired and everyone is losing - the cast, the production, even Cody himself. 

It's not like the producers read these boards - and i know there's a lot more to stuntcasting than just "this guy would be good and bring money" - but: Chris Wood (from the TV Supergirl) as Dmitry? He's an actual musical theatre performer; I remember seeing him in that tour of Spring Awakening years ago and he's got a huge fanbase now. 

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-11-30 19:08:26

ThatÂ’s very upsetting to hear. Theres also a picture of her at curtain call that looks VERY uncomfortable.

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-11-30 19:47:39

Posted by Scarlet Leigh 2018-11-30 20:27:56

Just because HE wants to rush through the fans at the door doesn't me that he has to make EVERYONE rush at the door. If it were not Christy in front of him, he likely would have made anyone rush for his needs. It just happened to be poor Christy that got the starting day experience with him.

If I were others in the show, unless I was in a massive hurry to get home, I'd just hang a few minutes longer to let him go out the door first so that he can do as he pleases and not mess with his co-stars pace and experience with the fans.

Posted by SweetLips22 2018-11-30 22:10:30

I read quite a lot of these threads about my favorite 'hobby' and am staggered how far performers will go to get public exposure.

What's with this camera in a dressing room crap and the idiots who tune in to watch this dribble??

Sharing your stage life with strangers is beyond ridiculous.

You do what you are paid to do, perform, then go out[privately] or home.

Watching Cody S shove cheese balls down his throat removes any image[or mystery] his character might have created. Perhaps a quiet personal time with Christy would be more appropriate to develop the lacking chemistry.

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-12-01 17:35:03

Christy discussed this thread(I assume) in her latest livestream and this was the gist of what she said...
“My mom sent me 2 pictures this morning of trolls, I guess like people, I don’t know maybe not trolls but people who took photos of me when Cody opened, and my face was like this. And I was like you
guys, that was a moment, a second in time. I was so happy the whole day. Literally afterward we all went to Sardis, we had a big blow out party for Cody, I hugged him, we were so excited. We were freaking out at how excited and happy we were. (Amy: guys don’t believe what you see on the internet). Literally it was a long day, we had a put in that whole morning, then we had the opening show so there was a lot of pressure. Lynn and Stephen were there, Darko was there, the director, the people who wrote it were there, the producers were there. It was a big day. So they caught me at the 2 moments that I was like, literally the 2 moments that I was just like and it looks like I’m sad about the day (Amy: people were like shes she’s not happy, I’m like she’s fine) and actually if you saw our live that day we were happy (Amy: it was just a random screenshot) No internet, no, no, you guys know me.”

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-12-01 17:40:20

ThatÂ’s a relief to hear, but I think she was adressing stan twitter, who flooded codyÂ’s account screaming itÂ’s called Anastasia and not the cody show.

Posted by Elfuhbuh 2018-12-01 17:43:16

Stan Twitter was taking those pictures and passing them back and forth to each other all snarky and “feeling bad for Christy.” I’m glad she said something to set the record straight, but sadly it didn’t do much, because those kids are still obnoxiously projecting their distaste for Cody onto Christy as of today.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-01 17:44:46

It's really sad that she even felt the need to do that, and those who caused her to feel that need should be abjectly ashamed of themselves.

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-12-01 18:09:16

By just typing in Christy and Cody on twitter, you can see how insane stan twitter is. They wonÂ’t let the zach thing go. They obviously donÂ’t know how the business works!

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-12-01 18:15:05

Dear stan twitter,

It seems you have taken my review and turned it into something itÂ’s not. I am one reviewer. You canÂ’t take one thing someone has said and use that as evidence for hating cody and putting stress on christy.

It was his first performance. The kid is going to be very nervous, it excuses the fact that he didnÂ’t seem to have any idea on how to act. While of course that means he could just be bad, he needs time to get into the role.

By commenting, Zach would have done this, Zach would have done that, you are going to lose the show you love. As sad as it is, if zach was in the role a closing notice would be up soon. Hate Cody or not, he will bring money to this.

It’s disheartening to see my review on twitter and reddit, associated with “this person agrees Zach should have stayed”, “see this review, (and you have the audactity to tag the production????) shame on you. Grow up and reliaze this is a business.

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-12-01 18:19:50

I think it goes to show just how bad stan twitter has gotten just within the past few years. I hate to go back to Cinderella, but when people found out Carly Rae Jepsen was taking over, they were upset, but I didn’t see half the things being said now. Now screenshots and comparisons and everything else are popping up on every social media site imaginable. And that was replacing the love interest! I can’t imagine if they had stunt casted Anastasia herself. It would’ve been pandemonium.

It’s definitely weird seeing screenshots from this forum on Twitter being used to supplement arguments.

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-12-01 18:22:05

While I know, I put my review on here, and I have no control of where it goes, theres a fine line between reposting it and tagging the cast with a picture of it.
(The tweet has since been deleted, after I reached out and asked for it to be taken down). ItÂ’s still annoying.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-01 23:39:32

Posted by (Insert Clever Name) 2018-12-01 23:59:45

This was a bad stunt cast. Zach worked his butt off for the role which he was amazing in and he was pushed out for someone who isnt a big enough name to get the benefits of a real stunt cast. He cant act! He's not good! It still hasnt caused as much outrage as when they replaced Oak (who was not showing up for rehearsal and referred to as poison oak) with Mandy (who was a good idea)

Posted by Itonlytakesajourney 2018-12-02 05:27:54

Referring to stan twitter as “the scum of the internet” is a bit...much. It’s not perfect, but the truth of the matter is that these kids are upset a washed-out pop singer replaced an established actor in a role that requires established acting and singing. Cody can not do any of those things. My Petersburg was lowered three half steps down, and while adjusting the key to a song is a normal thing, the role was written that way. Dmitry requires a tenor to hit an A5. By all accounts, Cody was flat and and barely made an effort to sing the (lowered) note. That’s not professional; there’s no excuse for not trying on your debut. He’s not good guys! This was a bad stuntcast that is getting exactly (3) people to the theatre!

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-02 06:00:31

Itonlytakesajourney said: "Referring to stan twitter as “the scum of the internet” is a bit...much. It’s not perfect, but the truth of the matter is that these kids are upset a washed-out pop singer replaced an established actor in a role that requires established acting and singing. Cody can not do any of those things. My Petersburg was lowered three half steps down, and while adjusting the key to a song is a normal thing, the role was written that way. Dmitry requires a tenor to hit an A5. By all accounts, Cody was flat and and barely made an effort to sing the (lowered) note. That’s not professional; there’s no excuse for not trying on your debut. He’s not good guys! This was a bad stuntcast that is getting exactly (3) people to the theatre!"

Someone literally said they wanted to protest outside of the Broadhurst Theatre. I don't care how old someone is, that's incredibly moronic, and over-the-top.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-02 06:05:02

Posted by Elfuhbuh 2018-12-02 09:22:16

No one is saying that Stan Twitter is wrong for being upset with his casting. What’s wrong is the toxic way they’ve gone about expressing their upset. There’s a fine line between going, “Gee, I wish they hadn’t cast a has-been pop star in my favorite show,” and tagging the cast in all sorts of hateful posts, passing around out of context photos of Christy Altomare to claim she’s “miserable” with her new costar, and obsessively posting day after day about how mad they are over the situation. Cody Simpson doesn’t have to be a good Dmitry for this kind of behavior to be considered not okay.

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-12-02 10:00:00

Elfuhbuh said: "No one is saying that Stan Twitter is wrong for being upset with his casting. What’s wrong is the toxic way they’ve gone about expressing their upset. There’s a fine line between going, “Gee, I wish they hadn’t cast a has-been pop star in my favorite show,” and tagging the cast in all sorts of hateful posts, passing around out of context photos of Christy Altomare to claim she’s “miserable” with her new costar, and obsessively posting day after day about how mad they are over the situation. Cody Simpson doesn’t have to be a good Dmitry for this kind of behavior to be considered not okay."

Agree with this 100%. It's very possible for Cody to be a poor choice AND the stans' behavior to be wrong. It's not a one-or-the-other situation, although that seems to be how the more intense fans are taking it. 

And if anyone wants to be entertained by the full extent of the #drama, I got a friend of a friend to explain to me in regular-people terms what the heck is going on with Anastasia fans, and it's a real doozy:

- Group 1 loved Derek Klena and decided to hate Zach Adkins after he was tapped to replace him. This faction is now Cody Simpson fans just because they're happy that Adkins is gone because it upsets:

- Group 2, who preferred Adkins's portrayal and are anti-Simpson on that alone and are mad at Faction 1 for making fun of them

Ah, to be so young and carefree as to start Twitter fights over the casting of total strangers.

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-12-02 10:02:30

Saw a tweet from Cody's manager(btw, he has only had this manager for a few months after being with Bieber's management for years) saying that he likes Christy and how kind she was to his nieces... 

Is this worse than Brendon Urie in Kinky Boots and Carly Rae Jepsen in Cinderella? I saw Carly Rae in Cinderella and my friend who now lives in NYC who's very picky thought she wasn't even bad.

Posted by n2nbaby 2018-12-02 10:46:58

I think the general consensus was that Carly Rae was pretty good.

It is disgusting was the Internet has done to theatre. My god. ThatÂ’s all I have to say on this.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-12-02 11:04:07

MannPhan24601 said: "Is this worse than Brendon Urie in Kinky Boots and Carly Rae Jepsen in Cinderella? I saw Carly Rae in Cinderella and my friend who now lives in NYC who's very picky thought she wasn't even bad."

I thought Brendon Urie was absolutely fantastic in Kinky Boots.

Posted by GiantsInTheSky2 2018-12-02 11:05:14

IÂ’m glad Christy said something because immediately after I saw the picture/livestream, I knew people were reaching for something to be upset about. Even people in this thread were reading SO much into the three seconds you can see her face, which isnÂ’t showing a definite facial expression of negativity in the first place...

Whether Cody is amazing or not, a job is a job. Professional actors know the risks of the business and understand when a show isn’t doing well, things like this can happen. It’s not like Zach (Derek? I don’t keep up that much with this show’s casting as it’s not, well...that important at the end of the day) is going to be on the street. As said, he’s an established actor, he will find other work, and they can’t just say “your last day is xx/xx, bye” - he was paid out of his contract. Everything is fine.

Not to mention that AnastasiaÂ’s one of the lower priced shows these days. People arenÂ’t paying Hamilton prices for an (allegedly) weak performance from Cody.

Honestly, maybe we should scale back on the number of shows targeted to younger audiences. The fan bases always do too much and insist on piecing together “drama” like they see on television that isn’t even there. No kids, not every production is like SMASH behind the scenes.

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-12-02 11:50:07

bwayphreak234 said: "MannPhan24601 said: "Is this worse than Brendon Urie in Kinky Boots and Carly Rae Jepsen in Cinderella? I saw Carly Rae in Cinderella and my friend who now lives in NYC who's very picky thought she wasn't even bad."

I thought Brendon Urie was absolutely fantastic in Kinky Boots.

I was talking about the stan drama for him, not his performance. Should have put that more clearly

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-12-02 13:09:53

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Honestly, maybe we should scale back on the number of shows targeted to younger audiences. The fan bases always do too much and insist on piecing together “drama” like they see on television that isn’t even there. No kids, not every production is like SMASH behind the scenes."

I don’t think avoiding teen-oriented shows would help much, because you never know what they’ll latch onto. One of the biggest and most intense fan bases of recent years was for Falsettos - I don’t think anyone anticipated that.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-02 13:21:05

bwayrose7 said: "I don’t think avoiding teen-oriented shows would help much, because you never know what they’ll latch onto. One of the biggest and most intense fan bases of recent years was for Falsettos - I don’t think anyone anticipated that."

I did. Christian Borle is cute. Of course they were gonna latch onto that.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-02 13:33:29

One of the stage door personnel at the Broadhurst straight-up called them fake fans! I love it!

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-12-02 13:40:05

I agree with Broadwayrox, stan twitter is a fricking mess. I donÂ’t care if they are upset Zach isnÂ’t in the show. They obviously donÂ’t care about the show, because cody is there to help it. I donÂ’t care why you are upset, but to tag the cast members and the show with pictures of christy looking upset, or BWW reviews, no, thatÂ’s not what we are gonna do.

Grow up.

Posted by GIzmo13542 2018-12-03 01:16:49

So I try really hard to not judge castings like this. You never know, people can surprise you. Slight disclaimer: I havent seen Cody in the role in person nor have I seen anyone else. However, based on the video I've seen of only the end of "My Petersburg" (small sample size I know) I just dislike him in the role. They lowered the key and he optioned down on the last note, which would be more understandable if it was in the original key. I truly hope it was an off day because I love the show and I want it to succeed. Just my two cents

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-03 02:08:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IABRgZH12YA

This pretty much sums up how stupid everyone is being over this.

Posted by Elfuhbuh 2018-12-03 06:39:25

No offense, but I donÂ’t think you can judge someoneÂ’s full performance based on one tiny sample from an illegal recording.

Posted by theaterlyfe19 2018-12-03 08:23:46

Can we all agree that stan twitter is the most toxic thing? They think they know everything, they think they can push people around, they claim to be fans of shows. They're fans of specific actors. When those actors aren't treated the way they think they should be treated, all heck breaks loose. They're allowed to say whatever they want, but heaven forbid anyone who disagrees tries to express a different way to look at the situation. 

Regarding the key change: They're acting like this is blasphemy and like it has never happened before on Broadway....to that I say LOL. 

Stan twitter is the most toxic thing. They're truly oblivious, immature and need to learn how to treat people. 

Posted by kelsey1389 2018-12-03 08:44:04

For the record, I have never listened to Anastasia nor do I really know anything about it (just not my cup of tea) but I am on Twitter and GOODNESS it is not a fun place to be right now. People are upset about Cody and then there's one or two people who are screaming about Anastasia having to close because people are being mean to Cody. We all know about the first part, but I think Anastasia is going to close even if people started being Cody fans? That shows numbers have been going down for months and I doubt that even a good stunt cast could save it at this point?

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-12-03 08:50:21

So, people are now debunking claims that the management was rushing Christy including the manager himself.

https://twitter.com/mz/status/1069082461471150080?s=21

I honestly feel really bad for Cody Simpson. The rabid hate from Twitter, the criticisms of this board (I don't help either), the allegations about his management, people dragging poor Christy into this.Talented in the show or not, the poor guy doesn't deserve hate. I was only pissed off because the of the allegations of his management treating Christy like crap. I was never against Cody in the first place, just confused why they need stunt casting, which is now clear b/c of the messages in the boards.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-12-03 09:21:00

I'm glad Christy Altomare and others spoke up because with some posts taking a split second pic of Christy's face and going on diatribes and essays about how horrible Cody Simpson is was becoming way too extreme and crossed the line to ridiculous territory. Yes, he can be bad in the role, but he didn't commit a crime against humanity. He was offered an opportunity to play a role on Broadway and took it. Criticize his performance all you like and heck talk about how his casting is symbolic of stunt casting, but the rest of it is stan territory and fan entitlement and a lot of it is based on painting him in the worst light possible to villainize him.

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-12-03 09:53:18

And on that note, has anyone seen him in the show? We've barely discussed it. I know they optioned down My Petersburg, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I'm not surprised. They also changed his pyjamas during IACOT to give him long sleeves. But I obviously haven't seen the show, so can someone weigh in? 

Posted by GIzmo13542 2018-12-03 10:55:36

I totally understand. I should have phrased it differently. I dislike this version of the song. Who knows, he could be amazing in every other song.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-07 14:47:24

Cody mentioned in one of Christy’s Lives that he had also auditioned for Rent but didn’t get it. I’m guessing he means the Fox production. And they both started to talk about him auditioning for Anastasia and changed the subject rather quickly. After hearing that, I wondered if maybe producers had found out Cody was interested in Broadway and decided to jump on it without thinking of the repercussions. Anyway, I’m glad to hear that Zach was at least bought out so he’s not at a financial loss during the holidays. I do hope the show now realizes how popular Zach is and decides to bring him back once Cody is done.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-07 18:02:11

RWPrincess said: "I do hope the show now realizes how popular Zach is and decides to bring him back once Cody is done."

Why would they do that, since last time he was in the show, they ended up in a position where they had to buy him out of his contract? Shows don't typically buy someone out of their contract, and later ask them to come back...

Posted by bwayrose7 2018-12-07 21:10:32

BroadwayRox3588 said: "RWPrincess said: "I do hope the show now realizes how popular Zach is and decides to bring him back once Cody is done."

Why would they do that, since last time he was in the show, they ended up in a position where they had to buy him out of his contract? Shows don't typically buy someone out of their contract, and later ask them to come back...
"

I thought Zach was spectacular in the role - and even I know this would be a ridiculous idea. Anastasia seems to be at the point where it needs someone from outside the theatre world to keep its numbers up, as frustrating as that is. Dmitry just happened to be the role that they were able to get someone into; I assume they would have done the same if they'd been able to get a star for Vlad, Lily, etc. as well.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-08 01:26:02

I feel like we're all just beating a dead horse at this point. I get that the teens are angry, but Zach isn't coming back, y'all. And even if they did want to bring him back, do you think they'd be able to afford to bring him back (you know they'd need to pay him even more to get him to come back), when they are already pressed enough for cash to have to stunt cast? The teenage Broadway fans are getting a very real dose of how truly cutthroat this business is.

I think Zach is a wonderful performer, who was luminous in this show, and I truly believe he has a wonderful career ahead of him (looks like he does, and sings like he does; seriously he'll be fine). But it won't be in Anastasia.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-08 09:16:42

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I feel like we're all just beating a dead horse at this point. I get that the teens are angry, but Zach isn't coming back, y'all. And even if they did want to bring him back, do you think they'd be able to afford to bring him back (you know they'd need to pay him even more to get him to come back), when they are already pressed enough for cash to have to stunt cast? The teenage Broadway fans are getting a very real dose of how truly cutthroat this business is."

First off, I’m not a teenager or anywhere close in age to one. Second, I have an MBA and have worked in the business world for many years so I get how business works. But that doesn’t mean I have to stop being hopeful that something could change a few months from now once Cody is done and his contract is complete. Stranger things have happened. 

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-12-08 11:03:28

The show is going to need a bigger name than Cody Simpson for a nice box office boost. I don't keep up with the fandoms and Twitter, but it sounds like it is ridiculous.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-12-08 14:10:33

Zach's supposed popularity didn't help with the box office. Unfair to him, but with the way some stans have been acting in the name of defending his honor reflects somewhat badly on him even though he didn't do anything. It's an incredible show of immaturity no matter how old these people actually are.

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-12-08 14:16:25

It Zach was popular he wouldnÂ’t have bern bought out. If you are bought out, you can almost guarantee he will never play that role again. And why would he? He literally got bought out.

Cody isn’t doing anything to the box office right now, theres not one “name” in that cast. Dimitry will be a stunt cast role from now till the end of the run.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-08 18:01:55

RWPrincess said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "I feel like we're all just beating a dead horse at this point. I get that the teens are angry, but Zach isn't coming back, y'all. And even if they did want to bring him back, do you think they'd be able to afford to bring him back (you know they'd need to pay him even more to get him to come back), when they are already pressed enough for cash to have to stunt cast? The teenage Broadway fans are getting a very real dose of how truly cutthroat this business is."

First off, I’m not a teenager or anywhere close in age to one. Second, I have an MBA and have worked in the business world for many years so I get how business works. But that doesn’t mean I have to stop being hopeful that something could change a few months from now once Cody is done and his contract is complete. Stranger things have happened.

"

That aspect of my post wasn't directed at you, but at those on Twitter who have spent way too much energy complaining. Apologies for the lack of clarity.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-08 18:06:59

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "Zach's supposed popularity didn't help with the box office. Unfair to him, but with the way some stans have been acting in the name of defending his honor reflects somewhat badly on him even though he didn't do anything. It's an incredible show of immaturity no matter how old these people actually are."

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love Zach. He's very talented, and an incredibly nice guy. That being said, he does tend to "egg them on," so to speak. He doesn't outright say to behave immaturely, but he does do some other things that basically send a message that the way they act is totally normal, and not immature at all (i.e. typing like them sometimes, mentioning their Twitter stuff in real-life interactions, etc.). I don't think it's out of malice, I just think he really enjoys the attention he gets from all these girls (within reason, of course), and in that enjoyment, unintentionally eggs on a lot of their behavior (again, within reason). Unbeknownst to him, which is why I don't hold it against him.

Posted by Elfuhbuh 2018-12-08 21:48:55

I seriously doubt that the producers of Anastasia are looking at Stan Twitter's behavior and going, "Gee, we sure treated Zach Adkins badly! Let's take him back."

Posted by darreyl102 2018-12-10 22:33:12

His casting did surprise me because I just don't think he looks like Dimitri. This is going to come across kind of shallow but he just doesn't seem to have the looks of a handsome leading man that I feel like Dimitri is supposed to be. I don't know..

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-12-12 11:49:56

darreyl102 said: "His casting did surprise me because I just don't think he looks like Dimitri. This is going to come across kind of shallow but he just doesn't seem to have the looks of a handsome leading man that I feel like Dimitri is supposed to be. I don't know.."

I really think Anastasia was just one of those movies where the appearance of the characters seemed to matter more. A big part of Dmitri’s appeal in the 90s was that cute, floppy brown hair and the general charm he exuded. He was also built with a pretty careful balance of muscle and slimness. Cody’s tall and slim with blonde hair, which doesn’t mean he’s unattractive, but it means he doesn’t have that same Dmitri appeal so many expected. Plus, Derek and Zach sort of fit that mold, so the difference is more noticeable. It’s almost the same with Christy. Blonde/brown hair is probably more historically accurate, but the red hair is just a huge part of how many of us think of Anastasia. It’s probably less of an attractiveness thing and more of a “this isn’t how I expected him/her to look”. Funny enough they pretty much got Vlad spot on though. 

Posted by saxpower 2018-12-13 18:49:40

Hopefully not starting (further) drama but... according to Colby Dezelick's (u/s Dmitri) intragram post from earlier today, he's going on as Dimitry tonight. From his post of yesterday, it looks like he went on last night as well.  According to the show's site, Cody was supposed to be back yesterday (he had a week off, probably for some prior commitment). 

Has anyone heard anything? 

Here's Colby D's instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/colbydezelick/?hl=en

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-13 19:28:07

That shouldn't start more drama, but who knows? Earlier this week, conversations about actor attendance escalated to the point of the entire board getting shut down for a night.

Posted by BroadwayPrincess3 2018-12-13 20:50:16

BroadwayRox3588 said: "That shouldn't start more drama, but who knows? Earlier this week, conversations about actor attendance escalated to the point of the entire board getting shut down for a night."

We should be good unless Cody screenshots some posts and tweets them. /s 

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-13 22:54:57

I was wondering why Cody didnÂ’t appear in any of ChristyÂ’s videos yesterday. She also didnÂ’t mention him being back. Oddly, he also posted photos on Instagram saying he was back yesterday.

He spent the week in the Caribbean at a conference with Richard Branson. ItÂ’s funny I could have sworn that initially the press release mentioned the full 11 weeks. And sure enough IÂ’ve seen Anastasia posters along my train line this week with Nov 29-Feb 17 listed.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-13 23:00:25

RWPrincess said: "I was wondering why Cody didn’t appear in any of Christy’s videos yesterday. She also didn’t mention him being back. Oddly, he also posted photos on Instagram saying he was back yesterday.

He spent the week in the Caribbean at a conference with Richard Branson. It’s funny I could have sworn that initially the press release mentioned the full 11 weeks. And sure enough I’ve seen Anastasia posters along my train line this week with Nov 29-Feb 17 listed.
"

On the show's website, it specifically marked the dates in which Cody would be performing. 

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-13 23:15:26

I donÂ’t doubt that. IÂ’m just saying that the marketing says Nov 29-Feb 17. I just double checked my photo of the poster I saw tonight at the train station and thatÂ’s what it says.

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-13 23:19:22

I'm sure they did. The website was updated after the initial press release, which is the reason for the discrepancy.

Posted by amandap213 2018-12-14 16:01:50

saw the show on 12/12 the day Cody came back and his voice seemed a little weak idk if that's how it always sounds and his voice majorly cracked during the last high note of my Petersburg. he came out to stage door for about 2 minutes then he told us he was coming back out because the stage manager wanted to speak to him, but he never came back. who knows what happened back there. but from my knowledge the u/s Colby has been on.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-14 16:18:07

After reading the posts here, I saw something on twitter last night about him being sick. Sounds like he did the Wednesday matinee and then wasn't there Wednesday evening or last night. He has been active on social media again today so maybe he is feeling better.

Posted by VintageSnarker 2018-12-18 05:41:14

Kad said: "Isn't the point of stunt casting to get people in seats who may not otherwise have been interested? Casting someone with teen girl appeal in a show that is already built on teen girl appeal is redundant."

I think the point is to cast someone who will tip the scales. That is, appeal to an audience that might like the show anyway but will definitely purchase a ticket if you cast someone that interests them. Casting someone who doesn't appeal to the target demo at all feels more of a high risk/possibly high reward gamble than the usually safe attempts at stunt casting. The casting style of Chicago isn't going to work as well as the safe casting replacements for Hello Dolly, Waitress, etc. 

This is a bad example because people would probably be curious enough to just buy tickets but he was just on TV so he's the name I thought of... Casting Robert DeNiro in A Bronx Tale makes more sense than having him play Old Joe in Waitress to try to pull in a different audience. I think there are limits to which a star can sell a show. Like Chris Evans in Lobby Hero or Armie Hammer in Straight White Men (not that I think those were examples of stunt casting). 

I see others already had the same thought about Kelsey as Vlad. I doubt he'd do it but it'd be interesting to see how it affected the audience/numbers. Speaking of the older actors, stunt casting the dowager empress could pull in a slightly different audience. 

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-12-18 20:53:56

Anybody see him lately ? I thought he sounded fine in the OUAD video even though Dmitry dosen't sing that song !

Saw a rumor on a fb group that Love Never Dies is taking the Broadhurst and Christy is going to Frozen. Idk if that's true

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-18 21:15:54

MannPhan24601 said: "Saw a rumor on a fb group that Love Never Dies is taking the Broadhurst and Christy is going to Frozen. Idk if that's true"

It isn't true. The Love Never Dies thing was just trolling. And while the Frozen rumor has been going around for quite some time, it isn't true.

People are just trying to get a rise out of others.

Posted by ellbellthomps 2018-12-19 08:47:25

This was my third time seeing the show (saw Derek twice), but I saw Cody on Saturday. 

To be honest, I'm not sure if I was just surprised that he wasn't as awful as everyone as saying, or if he was good. Either way, he definitely exceeded my expectations. His voice was weak at times, yes, but he was fine and a good actor. 

The people with me didn't notice his accent, but I did. 

Also, him and Christy had great chemistry, especially in the first act. 

Don't let the fear of him being awful pull you away from Anastasia. It's still a great show, and he did good. I enjoyed it just as much as I did the last two times. 

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-12-19 10:19:05

Really glad to hear Cody has found his way through Dmitry :)

Posted by ellbellthomps 2018-12-19 10:54:35

He definitely did! Anastasia is my favorite show of all time, and if possible, i would go back to see him in his run. I was truly impressed by him. He hit the note in My Petersburg perfectly, and I could barely notice the key change (and I've listened to this song 250ish times, according to iTunes). 

He was also super sweet at the stagedoor. 

Posted by SweetLips22 2018-12-19 14:33:24

On FB from a dancer friend[Australian visiting NY] today--Went again after seeing Derek last year[loved him]. Cody presented and moved well but not a strong voice for the stage--lacked in delivery--lots of fans in the audience.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-19 14:43:20

I'm planning to do some theater stuff in the next couple weeks. I may try to see this again with Cody if the TKTS pricing is better than other stuff I want to see. I've also been entering the lottery but no luck so far.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-12-19 15:40:46

I figure this thread is the appropriate place to tell this story. My family and I were on 43rd and 8th heading towards the Hayes to watch Torch Song last Friday night when I see Cody Simpson walking down. I told my sister and brother and his gf "look it's Cody Simpson!" I wasn't trying to get his attention or bother him, but they didn't hear me the first time and the corner of 43rd and 8th and it was getting crowded so I said it a bit louder. I think he heard me and bolted out of the corner. I was just excited to see him due to all the fuss I read on this thread and from what I read about the stan twitter, and my other sister was a huge fan of his back in the day. I remember driving her to his concert back in New Orleans many years ago when he was still a young kid and then taking them to Cafe du Monde afterwards and her running into him and him being nice enough to take a picture with her there. It's not a very interesting story, but I figured some of you might get a kick of me inadvertently scaring the poor boy.

Posted by megganalvarez 2018-12-24 23:40:43

Ok so if it is listed that Cody will be performing from now until February, and there are rumors of Christy leaving at the end of Feb too, could this mean that Anastasia will be closing near the end of February ?

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-25 01:25:32

megganalvarez said: "Ok so if it is listed that Cody will be performing from now until February, and there are rumors of Christy leaving at the end of Feb too, could this mean that Anastasia will be closing near the end of February ?"

It could. But then again, it could not. At this point, it's just rumors.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-25 22:05:17

Cody was out sick again tonight.

Posted by JennH 2018-12-26 12:33:10

VintageSnarker said:

I see others already had the same thought about Kelsey as Vlad. I doubt he'd do it but it'd be interesting to see how it affected the audience/numbers. Speaking of the older actors, stunt casting the dowager empress could pull in a slightly different audience."

I've actually wondered this for the last year, so I'm glad this is being mentioned. I also doubt he'd do it, but I just want it to happen for my own selfish purposes. I wish more animated film to stage adaptations would use the original voice actors when appropriate. Notice I say, WHEN APPROPRIATE. Freeman reprising Jafar was a fantastic thing, and appropriate. Kelsey reprising Vlad is in that same vein. But they slightly rethought stage Vlad as a bit younger and more sprightly than Kelseys', but I'd still see this in a heartbeat if by some miracle they were able to get him to do it.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-28 08:53:04

Cody has been out sick this entire week now. The understudy posted that he was going on today as well. This on top of him being out sick a couple weeks ago and before that the week in the Caribbean with Richard Branson. Cody started Nov 29. I know it's not all his fault but that's a lot of days out in less than a month, especially for someone here only as a short term stunt cast.

Posted by MannPhan24601 2018-12-28 09:06:31

Fellow teen idol Conor Maynard has been out of Kinky Boots like every other day. I think he's even been out more than Cody

Posted by BroadwayRox3588 2018-12-28 10:35:38

Christy was out last night as well. There's a nasty flu going around.

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-28 11:14:34

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Christy was out last night as well. There's a nasty flu going around."

In her Live on Wednesday night, Christy mentioned that she had a sore throat and thought she may have caught  it from Cody as she wasn't around anyone else who was sick. Molly and Colby were on as Anya and Dmitry last night.

Posted by WldKingdomHM 2018-12-28 15:45:04

MannPhan24601 said: "Fellow teen idol Conor Maynard has been out of Kinky Boots like every other day. I think he's even been out more than Cody"

It's not like everyone is rushing to see Conor. He's a big...WHO?

Posted by RWPrincess 2018-12-28 17:05:43

I'm not sure where to put this but Christy gave out a flash sale code on her Live this afternoon for Jan 8-Mar 17. Code is Christy if you visit the TelechargeOffers.com site. Looks like it only works for Tues, Wed, Thurs shows.

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-01-12 18:40:15

Saw Cody in the show today. I did not think he was great but I also did not think he was terrible if that makes sense. He was ok and was good enough that he did not take away from my enjoyment of my favorite show.

His vocals were definitely weak at times. Christy and/or the orchestra overshadowed him for most of the show which I did not mind because I love the sound of her voice. I thought his weakest song was My Petersburg and his best was A Crowd of Thousands.

I thought his acting was better in Act 2, particularly when he confronted the Dowager Empress. Chemistry with Christy was ok but not as good as Zach or Derek.

I feel like this is a general risk with these limited time stunt casts. Had he been able to stick around for 6 months to a year, I could definitely see him growing into this role with perhaps some formal acting and vocal training.

On another note, I spoke to 4 different people at the show who were all basically there because of Cody. Seemed like close to a full house too. One woman was actually from Australia and she knew about Cody but didnt know about Ainsley Melham taking over as Aladdin. The stage door was packed but not crazy. However, he didnt come out on account of the cold weather. Christy came out about 45 min after curtain and it was still packed.

Posted by James Kerrigan2 2019-01-13 01:39:03

does anybody know Cody's replacement?

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-01-13 11:59:18

The show is still pushing Cody heavily so I doubt they will announce his replacement before early February. I guess he could also extend but even he is mentioning the Feb 17 end date in his posts.

Posted by dfrillsnedit 2019-01-14 11:14:46

So I saw Cody on Friday night. I've seen the show 3 times (twice with Derek) and I've never realized how vital the role of Dimitri is to this show until I saw Cody..... because not gonna lie, watching him was an experiment in patience. 

He clearly is trying his best, and probably has gotten a lot more confident than before, but it wasn't until his more dramatic scenes during Act 2 did I think he was anything other than terrible. His voice is wafer thin, and his chemistry with Christy is almost non existent. At times he reminded me a lot of high school productions where there isn't any male students available to play the male lead, so they cast the handsome jock just because he fulfills the basic requirements. 

Thankfully, like others have mentioned, near the middle of Act 2 he really gets into the zone and does a good job of standing up to The Dowager Empress. Otherwise he is the perfect example of stunt casting that may work in helping boost the box office, but doesn't do anything to change the energy of the show. 

I don't mind stunt casting, and sometimes it actually works to benefit the show (ex: Kinky Boots), but when it comes to stuff like this, it just lowers the quality of the show - especially for people like my mom, who this was their first experience seeing it. I'm sure Cody is a cool guy, and he works well within the pop genre (I've never heard any of his songs before), but Anastasia isn't the right show for him. 

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-23 23:07:42

I saw Cody tonight. I went for Penny Fuller who was EXCEPTIONAL. But Cody was...I dont even know. His vocals were fine but his acting kind of reminded me of Catherine OHara in GUFFMAN, during their musical. The girls in the audience loved him and went crazy for him. I honestly have no idea who he is but I guess people are seeing the show just for him.

Posted by James Kerrigan2 2019-01-23 23:55:48

can't wait to see who's replacing Cody

Posted by Dollypop 2019-01-24 14:12:32

Loretta Swit

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2019-01-29 10:56:50

He's staying through April 14!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Cody-Simpson-Extends-in-ANASTASIA-Through-April-14-20190129

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-01-29 11:24:04

Why was my comment deleted? I posted here about the April 14 extension last night after Cody posted it on his public Instagram story.