Printer Friendly - Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY

Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY
Posted by curel1 2018-08-23 10:06:35

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/theater/laura-benanti-my-fair-lady-broadway.html

Ahh! Starts 10/23

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-08-23 10:09:38

How exciting for her!!! So happy to have tickets for late October already!

Worth noting that she’s in the role through February 17 and is performing seven times a weeks, like Ambrose did.

Posted by Sauja 2018-08-23 10:10:28

I'm very happy for her. I'm less happy for my wallet since now I have to go back.

Posted by Valentina3 2018-08-23 10:11:14

I FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR

Posted by BwayLB 2018-08-23 10:11:49

That’s wonderful. Last time I saw her was in She Loves Me when it was shown on PBS. I do hope Lincoln Center films the show while she’s in it.

Posted by Valentina3 2018-08-23 10:12:32

This is probably because Ambrose got cast in that Apple series directed by M Shyamalan.

Posted by Kad 2018-08-23 10:12:48

Take my money, Lincoln Center.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-23 10:14:30

I think I just sh*t my pants. I can't believe this is actually happening. TAKE. MY. MONEY.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2018-08-23 10:14:59

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Posted by macnyc 2018-08-23 10:15:24

I think Laura will be great! I'm also thrilled that another "older" actress has been cast in the part! Proving that 39 is the new 19.

Posted by BwayLB 2018-08-23 10:17:57

macnyc said: "I think Laura will be great! I'm also thrilled that another "older" actress has been cast in the part! Proving that 39 is the new 19."

And Laura still got her looks from when she was Cinderella in Into the Woods.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2018-08-23 10:24:12

Attention LCT: I loved Lauren, but with Laura coming in... FILM HER FILM HER FILM HER

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-08-23 10:27:11

I don’t think I have ever been more excited for a replacement in my entire life. This is a dream come true.

Posted by Up In One 2018-08-23 10:28:14

Now there’s a reason for that new ending ... so I can buy a seat on that aisle!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2018-08-23 10:31:38

BEST CASTING NEWS OF 2018!!!!!!!!

Posted by camillesaur 2018-08-23 10:34:10

I know it says performances start 10/23 but that’s a Tuesday and Laura won’t be performing Tuesday... do we know if it’s safe to say that Laura will be performing *that* Tuesday and not any of the others? Or would Laura’s first show be 10/24?

I saw both Kerstin and Lauren and I loved them both. I’d just like to make sure I’m definitely dropping $$ on Benanti’s Eliza, though!

Posted by MCfan2 2018-08-23 10:37:11

Well, I'll be darned! Good for her! I'd like to see that filmed myself. I wonder if there's any actual chance of it, outside our wishful thinking. 

Posted by Tag 2018-08-23 10:42:21

But what does Diana Rigg have to say about her 7 show week?

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-23 10:44:26

Where are the naysayers who slammed Ambrose for doing 7 shows a week? Do they apply the same standard to Benanti?

I really wish it would be filmed with Ambrose in it. Her nuanced performance is a breath of fresh air that the show desperately needs if it wants to persuade the broader audience that golden age musicals are still worth going back to and digging into. Plus her nuances will translate pretty well on camera. Haven’t seen Benanti’s performance so I couldn’t say much about it, but I hope she’ll get enough time to explore the piece with Sher and the rest of the cast before going on stage.

Posted by Wick3 2018-08-23 10:45:18

I'm so happy for Laura! You're right that in the NYT article it stated Kerstin Anderson will be playing Eliza on Tuesdays... but Oct 23rd is a Tuesday.

Right now, however, Kerstin performs as Eliza on Sunday matinees.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-23 10:47:54

Well, I hope all the people who have been complaining for about a year are happy now. I wonder how many will complain about Benanti doing 7 shows a week. I bet Benanti won’t get the crap Ambrose got for it.

Posted by Wick3 2018-08-23 10:49:07

Also, Harry Hadden-Paton will be away from Sept 22 to Oct 21 to film the Downton Abbey movie. It'll be interesting to see Laura Benanti and Harry Hadden-Paton on stage on Oct 23 (or 24) given they barely had time to rehearse with each other. I understand they're both professionals though and this happens all the time but still I'm curious!

Posted by Gorlois 2018-08-23 10:49:39

How exciting!! I don’t know if I’ll be able to see this performance but I am going to try!!! If not, I really hope she gets filmed in the role!!!

Posted by smokeline2 2018-08-23 10:51:03

Up In One said: "Now there’s a reason for that new ending ... so I can buy a seat on that aisle!"

I was thinking the same thing...which aisle is it? Between left center/left side or between center/left center? I can't remember.

Posted by broadwayboy223 2018-08-23 10:51:28

THE ELIZA WE DESERVE IM SO EXCITED 

Posted by Duckie4 2018-08-23 10:55:14

Of course in MY perfect fantasy world Laura would have been Eliza from the very beginning but I’m thrilled it’s happening now.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-08-23 10:57:11

OHHHHHHH MMMMMMMYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSS

Posted by MCfan2 2018-08-23 10:57:45

Dancingthrulife2 said: "I really wish it would be filmed with Ambrose in it. Her nuanced performance is a breath of fresh air that the show desperately needs if it wants to persuade the broaderaudience that golden age musicals are still worth going back to and digging into. "

The show has survived for 62 years. I think it'll be just fine.

And anyway, having now seen Ambrose in the role, I frankly don't think her nuance added all that much. I'm not slamming her in the least. She was excellent and I enjoyed her performance very much. But honestly, I didn't think she was the transcendent and transformative eighth wonder of the world that BWW had led me to expect. I've seen many very good actresses playing this role; she was just one more of them. It almost seems like many people forgot that Eliza was a great role to begin with.

Posted by jbp1232 2018-08-23 10:58:21

I have LincTix for earlier in October. Does anyone know if they'll allow me to swap them for available LincTix later in Laura Benanti's run?

Posted by rjm516 2018-08-23 10:59:24

So happy for Laura (her dream!) and very excited to see this show. As someone who loved Ambrose, though, I am kind of so, so glad to see she's also doing 7 shows a week just against all this backlash. 

Posted by NievesG 2018-08-23 10:59:57

I hate when this happens because my poor wallet starts crying cheekyHow exciting, though. 

Posted by lightsarebrightonbroadway 2018-08-23 11:03:36

so excited for Laura as we all knew this was a role she had been gunning for since the revival was announced. 

What makes me even more excited for this though is that, to me at least, Laura seems a little bit above replacement work but because she is in fact replacing it just goes to show that this is a part that she truly wants to play, if that makes any sense. 

Looking forward to it!

Posted by labellaragazza1 2018-08-23 11:07:23

I didn't know I needed this news so badly until I read the headline and my heart soared. Was just looking into tickets, now I'm definitely holding off until Benanti is in 

Posted by slumdogdelaware 2018-08-23 11:12:26

Just bought my ticket for Oct. 24th...my body is ready. 

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-23 11:14:30

MCfan2 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "I really wish it would be filmed with Ambrose in it. Her nuanced performance is a breath of fresh air that the show desperately needs if it wants to persuade the broaderaudience that golden age musicals are still worth going back to and digging into. "

The show has survived for 62 years. I think it'll be just fine.

And anyway, having now seen Ambrose in the role, I frankly don't think her nuance added all that much. I'm not slamming her in the least. She was excellent and I enjoyed her performance very much. But honestly, I didn't think she was the transcendent and transformativeeighth wonder of the world that BWW had led me to expect. I've seen many very good actresses playing this role; she was just one more of them. It almost seems like many people forgot that Eliza was a great role to begin with.
"

Eliza is a great role, and one of the reasons that it is great is that if you dig into it you’ll see Eliza is not what people might have believed she is. Very few actresses who played Eliza that I’ve seen realized that Eliza wasn’t really transformed by Higgins; she wanted to behave “proper” and she asked him for a lesson, starting her own transformation. She’s never not a tasteless “guttersnipe” that Higgins thought she was. And in Loverly, one of the most important moments in the show to set the tone for the journey, she isn’t just complaining nor daydreaming, but she’s figuring out what she wants for herself, showing the audience her agency along with the warmth of the community. Ambrose did all that and I’m grateful she and Sher translated that interpretation into what I consider to be such a marvelous performance. Ambrose might not have the best vocals out there, but that interpretation to me is invaluable and essential to this production. I’m not saying Benanti is not going to be great in the musical, but she wouldn’t be the first person I think of to cast in Sher’s My Fair Lady.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-08-23 11:23:05

slumdogdelaware said: "Just bought my ticket for Oct. 24th...my body is ready."

I’m aboit to go on my flight for my two week trip, so I’ll buy my ticket the first thing when I get home

Posted by bdn223 2018-08-23 11:23:31

I can’t remember anybody campaigning this hard for a role since Rosie O’Donnell wanted to be a replacement for Ms Hannigan in Annie, but this time it actually worked. I had no desire to see this before other then to see the always wonderful Mr Butz, but now I am willing to even pay full price to see Ms Benanti.

I honestly wonder if Lincoln Center Theater finally realized with this production that they don’t need tv/film stars to sell their lavish rivials, unlike Roundabouts typical unit set productions.

As has also been stated previously due to the conflicting schedules of Patton’s film obligations I am going to assume if this is filmed for Live from Lincoln Center, it will be with Benanti. Especially after the announcement of the filming of King and I, which they seem to regret not doing initially, I would say theres a 70%+ chance that this will be filmed. If it were to be filmed with Patton and Ambrose, I’d assume we’d already be aware since they’d have to inform ticket buyers of camera obstructions of a performance within the next month, which seems a little late.

Posted by ameliewormwood 2018-08-23 11:29:39

"My Fair Lady? Hard pass. Is what they said to me." - Benanti 

Full circle! 

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-23 11:30:45

bdn223 said: "I can’t remember anybody campaigning this hard for a role since Rosie O’Donnell wanted to be a replacement for Ms Hannigan in Annie, but this time it actually worked. I had no desire to see this before other then to see the always wonderful Mr Butz, but now I am willing to even pay full price to see Ms Benanti.

I honestly wonder if Lincoln Center Theater finally realized with this production that they don’t need tv/film stars to sell their lavish rivials, unlike Roundabouts typical unit set productions.

As has also been stated previously due to the conflicting schedules of Patton’s film obligations I am going to assume if this is filmed for Live from Lincoln Center, it will be with Benanti. Especially after the announcement of the filming of King and I, which they seem to regret not doing initially, I would say theres a 70%+ chance that this will be filmed. If it were to be filmed with Patton and Ambrose, I’d assume we’d already be aware since they’d have to inform ticket buyers of camera obstructions of a performance within the next month, which seems a little late.
"

If this production is going to be filmed like the King and I and South Pacific, I believe the filming is included in the contracts that the original cast signed. O’Hara returned to South Pacific for filming at the end of its run. Possibly it’ll be the same for Ambrose.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2018-08-23 11:36:52

Should have been Laura Benanti all along. Better late than never.

Posted by MCfan2 2018-08-23 11:39:29

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Eliza is a great role, and one of the reasons that it is great is that if you dig into it you’ll see Eliza is not what people might have believed she is. Very few actresses who played Eliza that I’ve seen realized that Eliza wasn’t really transformed by Higgins; she wanted to behave “proper” and she asked him for a lesson, starting her own transformation. She’s never not a tasteless “guttersnipe” that Higgins thought she was. And in Loverly, one of the most important moments in the show to set the tone for the journey, she isn’tjust complaining nor daydreaming, but she’s figuring out what she wants for herself, showing the audience her agency along with the warmth of the community. Ambrose did all that and I’m grateful she and Sher translated that interpretation into what I consider to be such a marvelous performance. Ambrose might not have the best vocals out there, but that interpretation to me is invaluable and essential to this production. I’m not saying Benanti is not going to be great in the musical, but she wouldn’t be the first person I think of to cast in Sher’s My Fair Lady."

All of that has been in the role all along. It's written into the role. If you've never seen it played that way before, you must have seen some truly terrible Elizas.

Posted by BroadwayNYC2 2018-08-23 11:45:50

I LOVED Ambrose and plan to go again before she leaves, but I'll  definitely see Laura too. I still believe she should have won the Tony for She Loves Me over Erivo. 

Posted by natashalost 2018-08-23 11:49:45

I'm so happy! She's perfect for the part and I'm sure I'll be booking multiple trips to the Beaumont while she's there.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-23 11:54:48

I'm going to go see Ambrose again and then see Benanti. Not to put them in competition but I think it will be fascinating to see their takes. I loved Ambrose's performance and I don't want to miss one last chance to see it.

Posted by adamgreer 2018-08-23 11:55:43

lightsarebrightonbroadway said: "so excited for Laura as we all knew this was a role she had been gunning for since the revival was announced.

What makes me even more excited for this though is that, to me at least, Laura seems a little bit above replacement work but because she is in fact replacing it just goes to show that this is a part that she truly wants to play, if that makes any sense.

Looking forward to it!
"

She has made no secret of the fact that she wants to play this role very badly, and when the opportunity came about, she took it.  I don't think she cares in this instance that it's a replacement- she's getting the chance to play her "dream role" on Broadway at Lincoln Center.

Posted by JennH 2018-08-23 12:09:31

Valentina3 said: "I FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR"

SAME. I’ve been excited about some casting decision before, but NEVER have I fell over because I screamed and dropped my phone because I screamed in the process...THIS DECISION MADE ME LOSE ALL CHILL THAT SHES FINALLY DOING HER NUMBER ONE DREAM ROLE

Posted by Stage Door Sally 2018-08-23 12:12:07

As Dolly closes, another wonderment opens. NOW, I can see this show!

Posted by nasty_khakis 2018-08-23 12:21:37

I believe Benanti will get less flack for only doing seven because it was initially announced along side her casting. It was just announced after weeks of constant absenteeism. 

I think Ambrose left a bad taste in "our" mouths because (not her fault) it seemed like Bart was poised to make her happen one way or another (first Funny Girl, then this) so we were already "meh" about her before she even stepped on stage, then her performance wasn't that acclaimed, and then on top of it her announcement was basically her saying this role is hard and I miss spending time with my kids. Now, that's a fine reason to take a day off and I'm sure it's why Benanti agreed to seven from the start, is it seems to imply her family is more important and every other cast member who isn't in the "star" position of power to only do eight just has to lump it and keep working. She has a right like anyone else to negotiate anything but I don't see LCT producers letting someone in the ensemble only work 7.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2018-08-23 12:24:44

I am beyond excited!!! This is great news!!! Purchasing tickets ASAP! She’s going to slay!!!

Posted by lida rose 2018-08-23 12:33:56

"I have LincTix for earlier in October. Does anyone know if they'll allow me to swap them for available LincTix later in Laura Benanti's run?"

I just did this! you have to call Telecharge and they'll cancel your linctix, then you can repurchase them yourself online. I was excited to see Lauren Ambrose but there's no way I'm missing Laura in this.

Posted by geoffreyC 2018-08-23 12:34:36

She who takes the final bow wins.  Lauren who?  jk 

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-23 12:40:50

There’s some serious rewriting of history going on such as saying Ambrose’s performance wasn’t acclaimed when it was with almost every published critic and she even won an award for it and was nominated for a Tony. It’s just here and with some fans online where it wasn’t acclaimed. Also, I expected people to backtrack on the Ambrose 7 show a week criticism. It’s one thing to criticize how the announcement was made and the timing of it but the criticism went way beyond that. Anybody with integrity and who was part of that thread would admit it.

Posted by mikem 2018-08-23 12:42:22

I think the stigma about replacing, particularly for the first replacement, has gone down.  Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch, two true legends of the theater, replaced in A Little Night Music, and it didn't dim their luster one bit.  The current replacement cast of Hamilton has one Tony winner and two other cast members who were Tony nominees, which I don't think you would have seen 20 or 30 years ago. 

Posted by JVJ93 2018-08-23 12:44:41

I remember when Marin and Daniel Dae Kim joined King and I, LCT put a new batch of LincTix onsale to people who had already used their initial linctix to see Kelli. Do you think there’s a chance they’ll do that with Laura?

Posted by n2nbaby 2018-08-23 12:46:11

I got so excited after the awful week I’ve had that I bought a ticket for the wrong date with my LincTix before Laura starts. I called Lincoln Center and they said nothing could be done. I called telecharge and they refunded my money right away.

I bought a ticket to the October 24th matinee. Glad I held off on getting a ticket to this.

Posted by henrikegerman 2018-08-23 12:59:05

Clearly, Ambrose's performance has been divisive.  I'm on the side who calls it stunning, transformative, heartbreaking, hilarious and brilliant.  One of the great Shavian performance and if some her vocals are arguably unorthodox they are nonetheless beautiful and impressive.

I'm pissed off about Benanti taking over the role.  Not because I think she'll be bad.  Far from it. 

But because she'll most likely be amazing.  And now I, who have tickets to see the show again next week (Rosemary Harris's first week) and can't wait to see the show again, will be definitiely going back yet again to see Benanti.

One great performer is replacing another and I expect this will also be very good for business at the Beaumont.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-08-23 13:08:15

According to Telecharge...

Lauren Ambrose (thru 10/21)*, Laura Benanti (begins 10/23)**, Harry Hadden-Paton***

*The role of Eliza Doolittle will be performed by Kerstin Anderson at Sunday matinees through 10/14 and on Tuesday evenings beginning 10/30.

I’m guessing it’s safe to say she will be performing 10/23?

Posted by haterobics 2018-08-23 13:12:48

bwayphreak234 said: "I’m guessing it’s safe to say she will be performing 10/23?"

Seems like it. Not sure why anyone would want to see someone's first time in such a role, though. Let her settle into it a bit, heh

Posted by BroadwayBeebe 2018-08-23 13:17:12

Just picked up my LincTix for her first Saturday Night in the role! I can’t wait for this!

Posted by Sarah Jacobs 2018-08-23 13:19:20

bwayphreak234 said: "According to Telecharge...

Lauren Ambrose (thru 10/21)*, Laura Benanti (begins 10/23)**, Harry Hadden-Paton***

*The role of Eliza Doolittle will be performed by Kerstin Anderson at Sunday matinees through 10/14 and on Tuesday evenings beginning 10/30.

I’m guessing it’s safe to say she will be performing 10/23?
"

I hope so.  I bought my ticket for that day.

Posted by Sally Durant Plummer 2018-08-23 13:47:23

This is her Bernadette / “Night Music” moment.

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-23 14:03:01

geoffreyC said: "She who takes the final bow wins. Lauren who? jk"

I wasn't aware that there was a competition between Lauren AMBROSE and Laura Benanti. 

Posted by schubox 2018-08-23 14:06:36

Guess I’m seeing this again

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-23 14:06:42

I wonder if some publications will re-review the show with Benanti in it. She would deserve it, and I bet her versions of the songs will be absolutely thrilling.

Posted by gleek4114 2018-08-23 14:39:44

Just got my LincTix for mid November! I'm so STOKED! I saw Laura's cabaret about a month ago, and the fact that her astounding talent is still on my mind makes me all the more excited for this to happen!

Posted by Kad 2018-08-23 14:40:14

Put me in the pro-Ambrose group, as well. I thought she gave a beautiful performance, and the animosity toward her on here baffles me.

Posted by Robbie2 2018-08-23 14:45:44

Kad said: "Put me in the pro-Ambrose group, as well. I thought she gave a beautiful performance, and the animosity toward her on here baffles me."

I'm with you on that Kad!

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-08-23 14:57:12

Kad said: "Put me in the pro-Ambrose group, as well. I thought she gave a beautiful performance, and the animosity toward her on here baffles me."

Agreed. I thought Ambrose was revelatory. 

Posted by froote 2018-08-23 15:05:36

Me too. Will never understand it.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-08-23 15:09:48

Agreed. Ambrose’s performance was a true revelation. 

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-23 15:23:45

Same here. 

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-23 15:28:24

I agree that Ambrose was a revelation, but I'm still beyond words excited we have Benanti coming it. It was a now or never time for her in the role. 

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-23 15:35:08

I guess most of the animosity comes from those who haven't seen the show. Ambrose wasn't cast because she was a TV star; she was cast because she was the fit for Sher's vision. Personally, she exceeded all my expectations for this role. Eliza is Benanti's dream role, I'm not denying that. But I don't see her, great as she is, fit this vision as well based on her previous performances. I will definitely see Benanti, and would definitely be delighted to see a loverly surprise. 

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-08-23 15:43:07

Is the show closing after Laura’s run? If not, would love to see Betsy Wolfe replace Laura.

Posted by Valentina3 2018-08-23 15:45:14

Lauren's "ha ha ha" scene and Act 1 end nod have been etched in my memory forever. She was truly phenomenal. I am also very excited about seeing Laura in the role. :)

Posted by Elegance101 2018-08-23 15:49:57

Dancingthrulife2 said: "I guess most of the animosity comes from those who haven't seen the show. Ambrose wasn't cast because she was a TV star; she was cast because she was the fit for Sher's vision. Personally, she exceeded all my expectations for this role. Eliza isBenanti's dream role, I'm not denying that.But I don't see her, great as she is,fit this vision as well based on her previous performances. I will definitely see Benanti, and would definitely be delighted to seea loverly surprise."

I don’t have any animosity toward her. I saw it and I simply didn’t like her performance. I have no problem with her taking Sunday matinees off (same with Benanti with Tuesday shows). I just wanted to make it clear that I have been vocal on this board about not liking her performance, but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything except what I saw when I was watching her. I just didn’t see the magic everyone else did. And that’s okay!

Posted by RippedMan 2018-08-23 16:12:11

So much hype for her, so I'll def have to go back and check her out.

Posted by ND_2000 2018-08-23 16:20:17

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS! I'm seeing the show for the first time tomorrow and I am so excited. I know I will be back this Winter for Ms. Benanti! What an incredible moment for her. I haven't seen so much hype around a replacement announcement in a long time. Thrilled that her dream is coming true.

Posted by EllieRose2 2018-08-23 16:32:33

She was born for the part, how wonderful.  I look forward to seeing her.

Posted by GeorgeandDot 2018-08-23 16:44:26

So excited for this! My poor bank account though.

Posted by The Distinctive Baritone 2018-08-23 17:04:12

Called it.

The producers wanted someone who wouldn't be a risk after the mixed response to Ambrose, and Benanti will sell tickets.

Posted by SmoothLover 2018-08-23 17:09:29

This news was in the Departures and Replacements thread a week ago. Why did you start a new one?

Posted by CT2NYC 2018-08-23 17:24:41

SmoothLover said: "This news was in the Departures and Replacements thread a week ago. Why did you start a new one?"

I know you must be feeling smug since you scooped the official announcement, but it was 4 days, not a week, ago, and obviously a new thread would be started, since your headline mentioned neither My Fair Lady nor Lauren Ambrose. 

Posted by A Canadian in NYC 2018-08-23 17:26:22

The week after I'm there..... kill me now

But very happy for everyone who can see her.  Can't wait to read the reviews.  She'll be marvelous.

Posted by BellaB2 2018-08-23 17:28:23

I got to see it with Ambrose in June and I thought she was wonderful. And now I'm so excited to see Laura Benanti do it!! Just got a ticket for November.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-23 17:42:02

I would love if they put a new set of LincTix on sale, but I doubt they will.

Posted by MichelleCraig 2018-08-23 18:17:32

Saw this news online and immediately came here to see what the reaction would be. I was hoping it wouldn’t be about Laura being too old for the part...and it wasn’t! 

I’m as excited as just about everyone here. I think Laura will be great. I didn’t see Lauren, but I’ve seen Laura in so many things that I can’t imagine her not owning this! 

So happy for her!

Posted by LxGstv 2018-08-23 18:23:00

Delete.

Posted by ColorTheHours048 2018-08-23 18:31:15

I’m also firmly in the “Lauren Ambrose is a revelation” camp. So many moments of her performance are burned into my mind. And her singing was thrilling.

That being said, this casting announcement is a DREAM. My poor, poor credit card - but I will be shelling out for a great seat to this. And I’m happy she’s getting to do her dream role on Broadway in such a stellar production.

Posted by Duckie4 2018-08-23 18:39:38

I certainly don’t have any “animosity” towards Lauren Ambrose. I didn’t know who she was before I saw the show and I thought some of her comedic moments were good, but I went in expecting the kind of powerful soprano this role usually commands and I thought her vocals were only fair. Perhaps it was an off night for her, perhaps she was sick, perhaps my expectations were different than the director’s vision. Either way, I was underwhelmed as an audience member, it’s as simple as that. I will, however, go back to see Ms. Benanti.

Posted by Ryantheatrekid 2018-08-23 20:11:35

I’m seeing the show tomorrow and already know I have to go again to see Laura :)

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-08-23 20:51:15

JVJ93 said: "I remember when Marin and Daniel Dae Kim joined King and I, LCT put a new batch of LincTix onsale to people who had already used their initial linctix to see Kelli. Do you think there’s a chance they’ll do that with Laura?"

I doubt it, these dates for MFL have already been on sale for months. Mazzie and Kim joined The King and I more than a year after it opened, when the show was not doing well. (It only lasted 7 weeks with them...a shame that Mazzie didn't get to do it longer.)

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I wonder if some publications will re-review the show with Benanti in it."

This seems likely, and LCT will want the critical exposure.

If Harry Hadden-Paton is indeed taking a monthlong leave of absence in September/early October, I wonder who will replace him?

Posted by gypsy101 2018-08-23 21:44:10

seeing this news shows me that dreams really can come true!

Posted by Hairspray0901 2018-08-23 22:18:08

As someone who absolutely adored Lauren Ambrose as Eliza, this is very exciting news. I plan on seeing Lauren Ambrose again before she leaves as her performance has really stuck with me as one of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen (no joke!!!). My Mom is torn on who to see (she’s been wanting to see Ambrose but we are also huge fans of Laura Benanti) so maybe I can convince her to see both!

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-08-23 22:39:08

I didn’t have to look for very long at a lot of the anti-Ambrose folk before I found that the problem with Lauren was that she was not Benanti. A couple uploaded a 15 minute video on YouTube on “Why we hated My Fair Lady” and halfway through I discovered that the problem was that Laura had not been cast as Eliza.

Laura has a large fan base, as she should. I thought that she was about perfect in She Loves Me.

To me, what distinguished the original cast production was that for the first time the music was less memorable than the 2nd Act confrontation scenes between Eliza and Higgins. Not that the music wasn’t fine. See the Times and the News and Newsday reviews if you doubt its reception by the critics.

Another (almost) 40 year old. I wonder if Sher would have offered the part to his friend, colleague and Muse Kelli O’Hara if she had been available? She would have absolutely taken the role.

Posted by VintageSnarker 2018-08-23 23:09:17

Sauja said: "I'm very happy for her. I'm less happy for my wallet since now I have to go back."

Same. And I can't get a Linctix ticket this time. But otherwise, a million times yes. And I guess it's fine since I'm saving money with all the less than exciting shows this season.

Posted by broadwaysfguy 2018-08-23 23:36:58

laura will be great. I saw both other actors and liked the understudy better than Lauren and Lauren was fine.

My next wish for casting after Laura B would be would be the incredible Laura Osnes, who would also be dazzling as Eliza..... 

Posted by Musical Master 2018-08-24 00:26:56

WOW! As someone who absolutely loved Lauren Ambrose as Eliza, THIS is great casting right here! I wish her the best.

Posted by SmoothLover 2018-08-24 01:44:58

Tony Roach will probably fill in for Harry since he has been doing it thus far. The recasting is smart because the production will more than likely get reviewed again.

I wonder if Laura will be wearing the rust colored gown to the ball?  Me thinks that Catherine will put her in another color.

Posted by NOWaWarning 2018-08-24 02:12:39

I wonder if Ambrose will be finished filming by the time Benanti’s 4 month run ends. Maybe they’ll bring her back to film a Live with Lincoln Center and close the show.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-08-24 03:15:42

I was wondering that also. If Ambrose would return at the end of the run to appear in a live broadcast, as Kelli O’Hara did in South Pacific. I don’t think so. There must have been some friction surrounding her early exit.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that she signed for less than a year. She probably found the role and the absence from her family to be too taxing and was let out early. 

The one exception might be if it were generally agreed that Lauren was better in the role than Laura. She was, after all, Tony nominated. This is a possibility not safe to talk about here.

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-24 03:19:40

I'm pretty sure her early exit is due to her being cast in the Apple series. It's quite interesting that many here hopped on the Diana Rigg calling out Lauren Ambrose for being unprofessional train without noticing the Diana Rigg calling Lauren Ambrose's performance "definitive" train running alongside it.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-08-24 04:49:42

Hmmm. Do you think that Ambrose had an out in her contract if she were cast in a certain television show? 

I think it much more prestigious to play the lead in a Bartlett Sher, Lincoln Center Theater classic. But maybe after six months the prestige degenerated into fatigue.

I don't consider it a slam dunk that Benanti will equal or surpass Ambrose. Which of these actresses is not like the others:

Julie Andrews

Audrey Hepburn

Lauren Ambrose

Laura Benanti

Who is the least likely to be called "demure."

It should be great fun to see how Benanti handles the acting in the 2nd Act. 

Posted by Soaring29 2018-08-24 07:02:22

Yes!

Posted by Musicaldudepeter 2018-08-24 09:02:35

The second act MFL confrontation scenes are very similar to the Louise/Rose confrontation scenes in the second act of Gypsy, and so I'm sure Benanti will be firing on all cylinders for those lengthy book scenes. I'm also looking forward to hearing the score sung by a Broadway musical theater veteran. 

Posted by quizking101 2018-08-24 09:17:45

OlBlueEyes said: "Hmmm. Do you think that Ambrose had an out in her contract if she were cast in a certain television show?

I think it much more prestigious to play the lead in a Bartlett Sher, Lincoln Center Theater classic. But maybe after six months the prestige degenerated into fatigue.

I don't consider it a slam dunk that Benanti will equal or surpass Ambrose. Which of these actresses is not like the others:

Julie Andrews

Audrey Hepburn

Lauren Ambrose

Laura Benanti

Who is the least likely to be called "demure."

It should be great fun to see how Benanti handles the acting in the 2nd Act.
"

But if we're comparing Elizas, let's keep in mind that one of these actresses didn't actually entirely sing her own songs. (Hint: It was Audrey Hepburn.)

Even if she may not be the aesthetically ideal choice to you, no doubt Benanti will sing the sh!t out of that score.

Posted by MCfan2 2018-08-24 09:46:07

OlBlueEyes said: "The one exception might be if it were generally agreed that Lauren was better in the role than Laura. She was, after all, Tony nominated. This is a possibility not safe to talk about here."

Except that you just did. winkLet's not get melodramatic. This is a message board, not the Spanish Inquisition. 

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-24 10:12:53

Musicaldudepeter said: "The second act MFL confrontation scenes are very similar to the Louise/Rose confrontation scenes in the second act of Gypsy, and so I'm sure Benanti will be firing on all cylinders for those lengthy book scenes. I'm also looking forward to hearing the score sung by a Broadway musical theater veteran."

Not really. My Fair Lady is after all half a Shaw play. The books scenes are mostly taken directly from Pygmalion and demand so much mormore than Gypsy. It’s not just “firing on all cylinders,” it deals with confusion, doubt, realization, epiphany, and the final transformation leading up to Without You to complete Eliza’s arch, justifying Sher’s new ending and making it inevitable and breathtaking. 

Posted by Auggie27 2018-08-24 10:20:03

Dancingthru's points are all astute. The "book scenes" in MFL are really a play, and among the most demanding in musical theater. One reason the role is so taxing -- so often noted, from the Andrews memoir through the McCutcheon struggles in London -- is that push-pull between the singing demands and the equally challenging stand-alone sections lifted from Shaw.  The demands on the human voice are unique -- singing in one range while playing the emotional story beats in another -- it has taxed many.  

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-24 11:03:15

Anyone who saw GYPSY knows that Benanti is more than capable of handling a transformation arc. Her final scenes in that production were incredible and far from the shy Louise she presented in the first scenes. Also given her status and relationship with Sher, I'm sure she will receive ample time with him. 

Posted by kade.ivy 2018-08-24 17:10:48

Totally just booked a 48-hour trip to see Benanti in this. She will be transcendent. Also catching Lifespan of a Fact and an early preview of TKAM while I’m in town! Can’t wait! (Seeing MFL November 11, in case any of you are.) Looks like they’ve sold several tickets even since yesterday for the three dates I was considering.

Posted by Elfuhbuh 2018-08-24 18:13:19

Good for her, I guess. I'm sure we won't hear anything about a "Broadway starlet" like Laura Benanti only doing a seven show week. After all, that kind of vitriol is only appropriate when we're talking about those inherently undeserving, untalented TV actors who dare steal precious space on the Broadway stage, right?

Posted by Sally Durant Plummer 2018-08-24 19:07:57

When it's announced in advance - Midler - no one really cares. It's a different situation.

Posted by QueenAlice 2018-08-24 19:33:12

OlBlueEyes said: "Hmmm. Do you think that Ambrose had an out in her contract if she were cast in a certain television show?

She may have only signed on for six months, to begin with. But even then, surely she had an out clause in her contract if offered a television or film role. That's not at all uncommon, and especially for an actor who often works in those mediums, seems likely.  

And yes, of course, it was prestigious to open the production, which she did and got a Tony nomination for.  But that's yesterday's news. At this point moving on to star in a film seems like a more prestigious next step.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-08-25 21:20:01

She may have only signed on for six months, to begin with. But even then, surely she had an out clause in her contract if offered a television or film role. That's not at all uncommon, and especially for an actor who often works in those mediums, seems likely.  

Well, you probably know better than me. But it was such an in-demand role. And look what it is going to do to the box office. All those Trump supporters demanding refunds. (Joke, but there will be some.) I wonder if Laura was told to abstain from politics? I guess we'll find out.

Even if she may not be the aesthetically ideal choice to you, no doubt Benanti will sing the sh!t out of that score.

What causes you to say that Laura is not aesthetically appealing to me as Eliza? I thought that I made it pretty clear that I was really looking forward to comparing how two actresses of different personalities played the role in the same production.

Except that you just did.wink Let's not get melodramatic. This is a message board, not the Spanish Inquisition.

It was meant to be funny. Guess it wasn't. But I'm innocent! I've nowhere expressed an opinion as to whether Laura's prospective performance will be better or worse than Lauren's. I'm going to wait to see her first.

OK. I'm guilty. Although I've found Lauren to be very endearing, I wonder if Laura's natural comedic ability might draw more laughs from the audience.

Posted by FranklinDickson2018 2018-08-27 12:11:51

I can only get to NYC for a Sunday performance.  So if I am reading/understanding correctly, Ms. Benanti does Sundays but not Tuesdays (which is different than Lauren Ambrose)

Thanks for confirming before I order tix!

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-08-27 12:25:17

FranklinDickson2018 said: "I can only get to NYC for a Sunday performance. So if I am reading/understanding correctly, Ms. Benanti does Sundays but not Tuesdays (which is different than Lauren Ambrose)

Thanks for confirming before I order tix!
"

That's correct! However, you should note that Kirsten Anderson starts taking on the Tuesday night performances on October 30 (as well as that Benanti is out of the show from November 16 to 18). 

Posted by FranklinDickson2018 2018-08-27 12:43:36

Thank you very much!

Posted by SheLovesBway 2018-08-27 12:53:23

Did anyone else get tickets for November 21st performance at 8pm? I'm so afraid Laura won't be in due to Thanksgiving being the next day 

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-27 12:58:50

On YouTube there may or may not be footage of the Ascot scene with Lauren's book scene on display. It brought back all the reasons why I loved her performance.

That said, I have seriously been watching and re-watching Benanti's "Vanilla Ice Cream" and getting more and more incredibly excited about her singing the hell out of those songs.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-27 12:59:27

Elfuhbuh said: "Good for her, I guess. I'm sure we won't hear anything about a "Broadway starlet" like Laura Benanti only doing a seven show week. After all, that kind of vitriol is only appropriate when we're talking about those inherently undeserving, untalented TV actors who dare steal precious space on the Broadway stage, right?"

This was never about Ambrose personally. Had it been announced at the beginning it would have been a different story. You're always going to have the trolls who come out, but I don't think the backlash would've been as large. 

Posted by Kad 2018-08-27 13:04:39

And if she hadn't reduced her performances weekly, we'd get (more) people grousing about her performance or her calling out.

People need to over it. It's live theatre. If you want a guarantee you'll be seeing a certain actor giving their best performance, go to a movie.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-27 13:16:41

Looks like Benanti started rehearsals today! According to her Instagram post, it doesn’t look like she actually event went in for the first audition (that Ambrose booked).

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-08-27 14:10:52

Usually when there's a situation like this where one member of the cast (or sports team) says something derogatory about another and it goes public, the director will try to restore peace. A keystone of that is the need to have the parties, together or alone, discuss the situation and insist (1) that both are back on friendly terms with each other and (2) the media exaggerated the situation and (3) each, according to the other, is giving the greatest acting display of the 21st Century in the show.

I have seen no such interview or video of either of them backing away from the controversy.

Anyone else see anything?

Posted by givesmevoice 2018-08-27 14:34:33

Why is this the first time Benanti has shared the story that she didn't even audition the first time around? Instead she said that they told her "hard pass," which to me implies that she did audition. There is certainly no shame in her passing on the role to stay home with her daughter OR in her not getting the role after auditioning.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-27 16:06:45

That's very interesting considering everything that had transpired since the Ambrose announcement. It is interesting that the story is now that Benanti just had her child and didn't want to be away from her when she was that young so she didn't even go for the audition. It still does not quite jive with the "hard pass" line and the whole thing about her liking some anti-Ambrose tweets saying Benanti was passed over for "that" when Ambrose's announcement was made.

Anyway, it is nice that she said Ambrose gave a "beautiful performance" as a response to somebody saying they finally have a reason to see this production as they had no interest in seeing Ambrose. Whether it's sincere or just good PR on Benanti's part, it's a nice gesture.

As much as I am in love with the current cast recording, I'd love it if they recorded Benanti for some of the songs. I really NEED to hear her sing these songs, and I didn't even know I needed it too much until the news settled and festered in my brain. 

Posted by Musicaldudepeter 2018-08-27 17:02:22

Her Instagram post is indeed interesting. So is the 'hard pass' comment now referring to Benanti saying 'hard pass' to being asked to audition...? Confusing... Does this mean that Benanti was pretty much guaranteed the role over Ambrose to begin with? 

Posted by froote 2018-08-27 17:11:34

Hasn't Ambrose put up with enough and now we have Benanti telling everyone she wasn't even the first choice. Laura puts a bad taste in my mouth too often, especially this coming after she liked those tweets.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-08-27 17:47:04

Musicaldudepeter said: "Her Instagram post is indeed interesting. So is the 'hard pass' comment now referring to Benanti saying 'hard pass' to being asked to audition...? Confusing... Does this mean that Benanti was pretty much guaranteed the role over Ambrose to begin with?"

Sher auditioned everyone, so she would’ve been auditioning against Ambrose and others. 

Posted by hanabana 2018-08-27 18:08:16

I have no doubt that Laura Benanti will be great in this role, and very disappointed that I won't be able to catch her performance or Lauren Ambrose's.  I had specifically booked my Linctix ticket for 11/17 before this announcement, so that I can avoid the cast's vacation schedules and see Lauren Ambrose, Norbert Leo Butz, and Harry Hadden-Patton in their roles.  And then this announcement happened - I was so excited and could not believe my luck because I am a big fan of Laura Benanti, and then I just realized today that she will not be performing during that weekend because she has a previous engagement out of state...  Even though we booked our Linctix without knowing the correct schedule, I highly doubt that they will allow my friends and I to exchange dates on our Linctix tickets (if anyone ever had any luck exchanging Linctix dates, please let me know)...  Oh well, I guess it is just not meant to be.  I am sure Laura's alternate will be amazing as well though.

But for those of you who are not aware:  If you want to see Laura's performance, beside from Tuesdays, avoid the weekend f 11/16-11/18.

Posted by Valentina3 2018-08-27 18:18:50

^ you'd be surprised. It's really easy getting your linctix exhanged for another date. First find the dates which do work for you which have tickets available, call me them. The way it worked for me essentially was they cancelled my original tickets (full refund) and I was immediately able to use my linctix membership to buy new tickets. I believe it worked the exact same way for a couple other posters too. Good luck!

PS - I did see Kerstin Anderson in The Sound Of Music and she really is a wonderful performer, but I feel this show is more of an event to miss Laura/Lauren.

Posted by gleek4114 2018-08-27 23:17:13

Valentina3 said: "^ you'd be surprised. It's really easy getting your linctix exhanged for another date. First find the dates which do work for you which have tickets available, call me them. The way it worked for me essentially was they cancelled my original tickets (full refund) and I was immediately able to use my linctix membership to buy new tickets. I believe it worked the exact same way for a couple other posters too. Good luck!

PS - I did see Kerstin Anderson in The Sound Of Music and she really is a wonderful performer, but I feel this show is more of an event to miss Laura/Lauren.
"

What number should I call? I had tickets for November 17th, and definitely want to move them so I can see Laura.

Posted by n2nbaby 2018-08-27 23:27:00

gleek4114 said: "Valentina3 said: "^ you'd be surprised. It's really easy getting your linctix exhanged for another date. First find the dates which do work for you which have tickets available, call me them. The way it worked for me essentially was they cancelled my original tickets (full refund) and I was immediately able to use my linctix membership to buy new tickets. I believe it worked the exact same way for a couple other posters too. Good luck!

"

What number should I call? I had tickets for November 17th, and definitely want to move them so I can see Laura.
"

Call Telecharge directly, do not bother calling Lincoln Center. When I called Lincoln Center, they said there was nothing they could do and to call the box office. I then called telecharge and they gave me my refund right away and I was able to be a seat for a different night.

Posted by hanabana 2018-08-28 00:50:07

Valentina3 and n2nbaby, thanks so much for the information!  How would I be able to check if there are any Linctix left for the other dates?  Since I cannot buy another Linctix at the moment, I cannot go in online to see if they have any tickets left (and I need 3 since 2 of my friends are going with me).  I am afraid that once I give up these tickets I will find out that Linctix for all other dates are sold out.  As much as I'd love to see Laura/Lauren, I would not risk the possibility of not seeing this production at all.

Posted by NYadgal 2018-08-28 09:05:03

I need to see Lauren Ambrose one more time.  Her performance was so nuanced and glorious - and I hold her, as a performer who has been thrust into so much nonsense, in very high esteem.

It appears there’s a small window of dates to see her with HH-P, and the other leads.

Laura Benanti would be better served to stay quiet, and focus on giving a performance that lives up to this production.  I have no doubt she will, but she has big shoes to fill.

Posted by gleek4114 2018-08-28 09:58:55

Thank you to everyone who helped in directing me to switch my Linctix. If I hadn't caught up on this thread, I never would've seen Laura was to be absent the night I had selected! Now seeing the show two days early and Laura is scheduled to be in. Thanks again! 

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-08-28 10:03:06

I am so excited to see Benanti nail this role, but she needs to refrain from speaking about (or even alluding to) the process of how she ended up getting it. Liking tweets, saying "hard pass"... it's all very shady and strange. The Ambrose/Rigg kerfuffle shows that there's clearly already some tensions at the Beaumont, so Benanti would best be served joining the cast on a clean slate and just slaying this part.

Posted by Kad 2018-08-28 10:07:03

IdinaBellFoster said: "Musicaldudepeter said: "Her Instagram post is indeed interesting. So is the 'hard pass' comment now referring to Benanti saying 'hard pass' to being asked to audition...? Confusing... Does this mean that Benanti was pretty much guaranteed the role over Ambrose to begin with?"

Sher auditioned everyone, so she would’ve been auditioning against Ambrose and others.
"

Or the "hard pass" comment was meant as the joke it was clearly was and people on here like to think they're reading between the lines and discerning the motives of people they have never met in order to stir up gossip.

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-08-28 10:08:47

Wasn’t there also a rumor she and Kelli O’Hara were automatically turned away at first because they looked too old? I’m confused where this sudden post of acting like she was one of the first choices but turned it down because of Ella.

Posted by Kad 2018-08-28 10:14:11

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Does it occur to anyone that if this has been your dream role since you were four and you are already a known name in the broadway community but not quite to the extent of Patti Lupine’s, you have to be seriously ill or mentally unhinged to NOT go to the audition? Everything about Benanti’s claim smells fishy to me."

Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, after enduring a miscarriage just a couple years prior, that MAYBE Benanti would be a bit more unwilling to be absent in the very early days of her child's life?

Posted by givesmevoice 2018-08-28 10:26:49

Kad said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Does it occur to anyone that if this has been your dream role since you were four and you are already a known name in the broadway community but not quite to the extent of Patti Lupine’s, you have to be seriously ill or mentally unhinged to NOT go to the audition? Everything about Benanti’s claim smells fishy to me."

Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, after enduring a miscarriage just a couple years prior, that MAYBE Benanti would be a bit more unwilling tobe absentin the very early days of her child's life?
"

I just think it’s odd that someone as interactive on social media as Benanti is didn’t say this THE FIRST TIME she saw a tweet that said “Ugh, i wish @laurabenanti was starting in My Fair Lady!!!!”

if that’s her reason, that’s wonderful. If she actually auditioned and didn’t get the part, that’s also fine! It just seems odd that this never came up any time she’s discussed wanting this part. 

Posted by Kad 2018-08-28 10:57:07

She may not have been able to comment on the audition process at the time (and how often do you see Broadway names comment on auditions for shows that are upcoming or running? It's unprofessional). And, frankly, if she said she'd turned it down before having decided and committed to take over for Ambrose, she would have gotten flack on here anyway.

Social media is an incomplete presentation of people and events. I wish folks on here would stop using every comment and every action on it as a starting point for judgment calls and rumor mongering.

Posted by Gizmo6 2018-08-28 11:09:20

Does anyone think this will still be running in June/July 2019? 

I was planning a visit in November but I am uninspired by the Autumn programme having seen Torch Song already. 

Anyone any ideas whether this will extend beyond March or just bite the bullet and go in November. 

Posted by NYadgal 2018-08-28 11:19:09

“Social media is an incomplete presentation of people and events. I wish folks on here would stop using every comment and every action on it as a starting point for judgment calls and rumor mongering.”

Very true, but the performers need to take responsibility for what they share on social media. I was just reading LB’s Instagram replies and she admitted jealousy was behind some of her earlier posts. She herself said that she shouldn’t have posted some of what she shared.

I still think she’s vague in her implications of how this all unfolded, but what ultimately matters is her performance.

I also respect Lauren Ambrose for not engaging and remaining classy through all that’s been thrown her way.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-08-28 11:20:40

NYadgal said: "I also respect Lauren Ambrose for not engaging and remaining classy through all that’s been thrown her way."

Very much agreed.

Posted by ColorTheHours048 2018-08-28 11:28:49

No one knows how long this will run. I would assume it would at least last until it’s one-year mark in March, and probably to the summer, but if you’re able to go in November, why wouldn’t you go then?

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-08-28 11:56:39

NYadgal said: "“Social media is an incomplete presentation of people and events. I wish folks on here would stop using every comment and every action on it as a starting point for judgment calls and rumor mongering.”

Very true, but the performers need to take responsibility for what they share on social media. I was just reading LB’s Instagram replies and she admitted jealousy was behind some of her earlier posts. She herself said that she shouldn’t have posted some of what she shared.

I still think she’s vague in her implications of how this all unfolded, but what ultimately matters is her performance.

I also respect Lauren Ambrose for not engaging and remaining classy through all that’s been thrown her way.
"

Your post made me curious, so I went on her Instagram, she did indeed admit she showed support to various online posts bashing Lauren Ambrose when she was announced and that it was not her finest moment and her behavior done out of jealousy. I respect Benanti so much for being big enough to admit it and to say she regretted living in that jealousy (her words). Not many people would be mature enough to do that, especially in a post full of people giving such positive and good wishes towards her, so I give her all the props for that.

Posted by Gizmo6 2018-08-28 11:56:50

ColorTheHours048 said: "No one knows how long this will run. I would assume it would at least last until it’s one-year mark in March, and probably to the summer, but if you’re able to go in November, why wouldn’t you go then?"

Thank you, I wouldn’t go in November because there’s not much to see. I have seen Torch Song, I would like to see The Cher Show and My Fair Lady but I’m hoping they’ll be running in summer ‘19 when I already have plans for NYC.

Therefore, freeing me up to see Phantom (Non -Replica) and Hunchback in Scandinavia in November. 

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-08-28 11:58:04

Kad said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Does it occur to anyone that if this has been your dream role since you were four and you are already a known name in the broadway community but not quite to the extent of Patti Lupine’s, you have to be seriously ill or mentally unhinged to NOT go to the audition? Everything about Benanti’s claim smells fishy to me."

Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, after enduring a miscarriage just a couple years prior, that MAYBE Benanti would be a bit more unwilling tobe absentin the very early days of her child's life?
"

I find it hard to imagine a director or casting director telling an actress who wasn't involved in the auditioning process to some degree that she was a "hard pass." She's been through a lot, and my heart goes out to her and her family. Her version(s) of the story, however, just doesn't add up and there are definitely better ways to handle the situation. Sure, there's freedom of speech in the States, but it also means you should take responsibility for whatever you say.

Posted by noracharles89 2018-08-28 12:14:46

Oh my God. The "hard pass" was clearly a *joke.* Benanti's campaigning for the role has been part of her comedy schtick for years.  

Posted by Plexsis 2018-10-02 10:30:26

I have tickets for Lauren’s last weekend. Seems that the only cast member scheduled to be out is Harry Hadden-Paton (how I wish he’d make a surprise early return). How are his understudies doing? They’ve had a lot of practice at this point so I’m sure they’re great.

Posted by steven22 2018-10-02 10:52:38

I saw this Saturday night and absolutely loved it. Lauren was fantastic. I may have to go back and see Laura.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-02 13:30:06

NYadgal said: "I need to seeLauren Ambrose one more time. Her performance was so nuanced and glorious - and I hold her, as a performer who has been thrust into so much nonsense,in very high esteem.

It appears there’s a small window of dates to see her with HH-P, and the other leads.

Laura Benanti would be better served to stay quiet, and focus ongiving aperformance that lives up to this production. I have no doubt she will, but she has big shoes to fill.

"

NYadgal: Can it be true that Lauren and Harry will still appear together?

On Telecharge they show Harry returning on Tuesday, October 23, the same date on which Laura will debut.

But Telecharge is not official.

Posted by Plexsis 2018-10-02 13:57:16

OlBlueEyes said: "NYadgal said: "I need to seeLauren Ambrose one more time. Her performance was so nuanced and glorious - and I hold her, as a performer who has been thrust into so much nonsense,in very high esteem.

Laura Benanti would be better served to stay quiet, and focus ongiving aperformance that lives up to this production. I have no doubt she will, but she has big shoes to fill.

"

NYadgal: Can it be true that Lauren and Harry will still appear together?

On Telecharge they show Harry returning on Tuesday, October 23, the same date on whichLaura will debut.

But Telecharge is not official.
"

That comment was made in August before Harry left for his extended absence mid-September.  Unless announced otherwise, he won’t be in the show during Lauren’s last weekend, sadly.  

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-02 17:12:18

Thanks, Plexsis

Guess I'm starting to have trouble reading fine print.

I saw a preview with Lauren and Harry's understudy and at the time I didn't think that it took much away from the show. Are audiences biased in wanting to see the understudy do well or is there just not that much difference in the talent levels of principal and understudy? (Major stars excluded here.)

Since then I twice saw Harry and Lauren, in their prime, firing back and forth at each other in the second act. I'd like to think that I would not be as impressed with the understudy now, as I would rather think that I had seen great acting performances from the two stars that were not easy to reproduce with an understudy.

Posted by AllThatJazz2 2018-10-05 13:59:22

Is Laura still scheduled to only perform through mid-February? I see tickets are on sale through April 14th at the moment. 

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-10-05 15:27:15

Ambrose's departure seemed to be announced as a temporary leave to film her new TV show. I imagine the plan is to bring her back in February, but who knows. 

Posted by bwayboy22 2018-10-05 19:16:43

Nothing from the limited press release read to me as Laura being a temporary replacement. I feel like this will be the last we'll see of Lauren in the role. 

(It might just be me hoping they film it with Laura, though.)

Posted by Hairspray0901 2018-10-05 23:31:59

I saw the show for a 2nd time this past Wednesday. Lauren still amazes me, my mom adored her portrayal as well. Still unsure why she gets so much hate but she was my favorite performance of the season! Her voice is simply beautiful. The understudy for Higgins was fantastic; we also had an understudy for the colonel, who was equally impressive.

Had a great time and even managed to score premium seats at regular price! Got dead center orchestra row E. Couldn’t have been any better.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-09 16:43:20

laurensambrose said: "Wasn’t there also a rumor she and Kelli O’Hara were automatically turned away at first because they looked too old? I’m confused where this sudden post of acting like she was one of the first choices but turned it down because of Ella."

I think of the O'Hara - Sher relationship as more like friends and colleagues than casting director and auditioner. They were each a key to the other's success. Roundabout jointly honored them two years ago.

But since Kelli publicly stated that she would love the role but feared that she was too old, and Bart hired two women for the role about the same age as Kelli, it would have been entertaining to see how the subject was broached.

If anyone is unsure, Lauren Ambrose's last performance will be the Sunday matinee on October 21st.

Confirmed by the producers to the head of customer service.

Posted by Allen S Bishop 2018-10-09 18:07:35

Saw MFL Saturday matinee on OCT 6th.  Thought Lauren was wonderful.  What a beautiful portrayal, strong, yet so much subtlety and restraint.  I saw Katrina Lenk in TBV before the Tony's and was so mesmerized by that performance that I was rooting for her, but after seeing Lauren Saturday I would not have been surprised or disappointed if she had won.  You could sense the entire audience falling in love with her.  And I heard there was a "moment" at the end but I avoided spoilers.  Wow, powerful, and awesome choice by Sher.

I'm sure Laura will be great in the role, but she'll be so different.  I'm concerned that she'll be more hammy, but I guess there's room for different interpretations of Eliza.

Posted by LuPita2 2018-10-09 18:11:32

Laura will be playing Eliza from October 23rd - Febuary 17th per the NYT and herself on social media.  

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-10 09:31:34

I'm glad some of the more recent reviews of Ambrose have been so positive now that the Tony race and the anger about someone like Benanti not doing the role have subsided.

Posted by AntV 2018-10-11 16:54:00

When can one buy a second linctix? To see Laura.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-11 17:48:09

After Scotty's last post a made a rather inane comment that people here should get ready for the war that was about to begin between Lauren fans and Laura fans. Blood will be spilt.

When I came back later and didn't see it, I thought I had made the rather common mistake, for me, of previewing it but never posting it. I typed it out again and posted it.

When I came back and found it missing again I realized that I had been guilty of warmongering and gently corrected by the powers that be.

Seriously, though, I can't think of any other situation like this where there were likely to be very strong opinions on both sides. The Kelli vs Kristin Tony dispute was lengthy, but really without malice towards either actress or her supporters.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-11 19:54:14

I for one am a huge Benanti fan and believe she'll be absolutely amazing in the role. And I was in love with Ambrose in the role, especially when I saw it the second time in July. My post had nothing to do with preparing for some sort of fan war. I don't think Ambrose has enough fans to even have one. I was just saying it was nice to see positive reviews of Ambrose, some of them mentioning not understanding why there was negativity towards Ambrose. So it did exist. I honestly think once Benanti takes over, it'll just be mostly positive. Maybe a snide comment about Ambrose here and there, but nothing negative about Benanti.

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-11 20:37:02

Well, I have tickets to see Benanti. I'm sure I'll enjoy her. She'll be very different from Ambrose but I'm curious to see what she does with what she admits is her dream role. I guess things have a way of working themselves out don;t they? 

Posted by The Distinctive Baritone 2018-10-11 21:26:40

Unrelated, but are the two Higgins understudies just alternating in the role until HHP comes back?

Posted by Plexsis 2018-10-12 07:27:14

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Unrelated, but are the two Higgins understudies just alternating in the role until HHP comes back?"

Definitely curious about this.  Most word I’ve seen on this board about he Higgins understudies have been positive.  I scored LincTix for Lauren’s final weekend, so interested to hear who illl be seeing as Higgins.

Posted by Melissa25 2018-10-12 08:19:34

Poisonivy2 said Well, I have tickets to see Benanti. I'm sure I'll enjoy her. She'll be very different from Ambrose but I'm curious to see what she does with what she admits is her dream role. I guess things have a way of working themselves out don;t they?

I totally agree.  I have tickets to see Benanti too and am also really looking forward to seeing her and the show again.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-12 09:23:43

Scotty, I was not singling you out as one of the first to be sending nasty comments to the backers of one actress or the other. In fact maybe I’m wrong and only a handful of people will comment on the subject.

But I don’t think that I’m wrong. And there’s nothing wrong with comparing the two performances as long as it stays civil.

Posted by Valentina3 2018-10-12 09:47:46

AntV said: "When can one buy a second linctix? To see Laura."

Back to the topic at hand. Does anyone know if I can get another LincTix to see Laura?

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-10-12 10:25:31

Valentina3 said: "Does anyone know if I can get another LincTix to see Laura?"

For THE KING AND I they offered a second round of LincTix, but it was towards the end of the run when the show wasn't selling well. If there is a second offer, I feel like it's still months away. Though the show has been at TKTS, and there was an email coupon the other day with $97-$137 tix through Jan 6 or $77-$117 after.

Posted by AntV 2018-10-12 11:36:22

Plexsis said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "Unrelated, but are the two Higgins understudies just alternating in the role until HHP comes back?"

Definitely curious about this. Most word I’ve seen on this board about he Higgins understudies have been positive. I scored LincTix for Lauren’s final weekend, so interested to hear who illl be seeing as Higgins.
"

I was there last night and Tony Roach was on. He was quite good. Also, the other understudy was out of his usual ensemble part.

Posted by The Distinctive Baritone 2018-10-12 18:27:58

Tony Roach’s About the Artists profile is very impressive. He is mostly a classical actor (with an MFA from Harvard) and has done many productions at the prestigious Shakespeare Theatre in Washington D.C. He is listed as a swing but really appears to be the standby for Higgins...as well as a million other parts. Seems like he would be just as good as HHP.

Posted by natashalost 2018-10-14 03:38:23

I feel guilty even asking this sort of question but I need to know. I splurge on tickets to see Laura in the show. She’s the sole reason I’m going — had it been someone else replacing I would have just gotten tickets to another show. However, if she’s not at the performance I attend I would be interested in exchanging/refunding my tickets so I would be able to see her in the role. I’ve never done this sort of thing before so could someone give me some guidance on how I would go about doing this/if it’s even possible? Thanks!

Posted by ArtMan 2018-10-14 10:51:17

natashalost said: "I feel guilty even asking this sort of question but I need to know. I splurge on tickets to see Laura in the show. She’s the sole reason I’m going — had it been someone else replacing I would have just gotten tickets to another show. However, if she’s not at the performance I attend I would be interested in exchanging/refunding my tickets so I would be able to see her in the role. I’ve never done this sort of thing before so could someone give me some guidance on how I would go about doing this/if it’s even possible? Thanks!"

If you live in the city or close just go to the box office.  This show is not selling out like it once was.  Tell them you didn't see Laura's "out dates" when you made the purchase.  I think it would be easier for an exchange than a refund.  But if that doesn't work for you, (only refund),  still ask.  They can only say yes or no.  If you don't live in the city, call Telecharge customer service.  Explain you didn't see the "out dates".  They were very good refunding my ticket back in May when my flight got cancelled.(Of course that was when it still was a hot ticket)  I did end up seeing the show, full original cast, the last week in August.  I loved Lauren.

Posted by Myshmoopsiepoo 2018-10-15 10:14:49

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Tony Roach’s About the Artists profile is very impressive. He is mostly a classical actor (with an MFA from Harvard) and has done many productions at the prestigious Shakespeare Theatre in Washington D.C. He is listed as a swing but really appears to be the standby for Higgins...as well as a million other parts. Seems like he would be just as good as HHP."

He was on as Higgins when I saw the show and I thought he was fabulous!

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-10-19 15:12:22

Well, after watching Benanti’s show people with Paul Wonterk, I think she is telling the truth when she says she never auditioned. I think the “hard pass” was just a joke that was taken too seriously. Im excited to see her.

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-10-19 15:55:22

She also said Sher called and said "do you wanna come do this for however long you want?" so maybe there's a chance she'll extend her contract if there's not another Eliza lined up after her?

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-10-21 11:10:26

And that explains her liked tweets. It wasn't out of bitterness. She wanted to do it, but couldn't b/c of the pregnancy.

Posted by LuPita2 2018-10-21 19:57:00

natashalost,

When I bought a Tuesday night ticket, it was not yet on Telecharge that that was Laura's off day.  I explained this to them so they refunded me and I got a ticket for a Wednesday evening instead. People do need to read the schedule because three of the main leads have days/weeks off in November (Harry, Norbert, Laura), they have it figured out on Telecharge now if you are scrolling through dates.  It will say in red who won't be there that performance.  

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-10-21 21:18:42

Did anyone here get to see Lauren's last show? 

Posted by Plexsis 2018-10-21 21:26:19

I saw the matinee yesterday and it was phenomenal. I loved Lauren’s performance and was so happy I made it before she left.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-21 22:18:30

Today's Sunday matinee was Lauren's last performance. Glad that the house was completely sold out, with myself even having to put out for a mid-premium seat.

Almost embarrassed to say that this was the fifth time for me, starting with the second preview. When I'm feeling low, seeing this musical provides an instant lift. My age also dictates that this will be the last go-around for my seeing any of these dear musicals from my past in such rich productions.

I think that Lauren has steadily improved in the role. I did miss Harry. Not that his understudy was poor, but I would have liked to see one more second act confrontation between the two.

At intermission I actually became involved with two separate parties in a discussion of the Ascot scene. It was all admiration for this scene from the costumes and lighting through the unique movement and song of the chorus to Lauren's perfectly timed laugh lines.

Note: Satisfying to me, as a great proponent of Ascot, to read that Lauren and the cast regarded it very highly.

At curtain call not much fuss was made. I almost expected Sher to be present, but instead senior cast member Butz presented Ambrose with flowers and made a needless political speech on how Ambrose's Eliza was to be included in the heavens with Andrews and Hepburn for she had expanded the role to push feminist goals. He prefaced his very short address by saying that Ambrose was an actress who would probably not desire any political labeling. Shaw himself is on very shaky ground with feminists.

That was it, except that as the the woman sitting next to me had sunk back into her seat after the ovation for Ambrose, she could not contain her pride and confided to me that she was Lauren's mother. I took a close look at her. The age did not seem to be there for the mother of a forty year old, but the straight red hair said otherwise. I wish I had soon known earlier. I might have ingratiated myself into an invitation to dine with the family.

No? Well, I might have learned something. I asked her if Lauren had signed for six months, and she told me that she didn't know but believed that Lauren had been offered the job for as long as she wanted it. I brought up the live broadcast of South Pacific in its last week and asked her if she knew of anything similar planned for My Fair Lady. She didn't (was not even aware of South Pacific broadcast), but hoped that Lauren would participate if it happened.

Addendum. At that time I had no idea that Lauren's mother had just lost her husband. She was also very proud of her daughter. Very gracious of her to spend a little time talking to me when she was carrying around these great emotions in her heart.

Posted by MadsonMelo 2018-10-21 23:34:49

I watched last Thursday.

Simply perfection!

From the costumes and sets to the very last ensemble member.

Rosemary harris is a legenda.

Leo Butz amaZing (my personal Tony winner)

And Lauren Ambrose was magnificent. From head to toe.

Amazing amazing production.

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-10-22 15:55:00

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/theater/lauren-ambrose-my-fair-lady.amp.html#click=https://t.co/Go4bTmDDeC NYTimes did a sweet exit interview with Lauren if anyone wants to read it

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-22 16:14:00

I didn't know her dad passed away about a month ago. That was a great interview. I think she is happy she took on this challenge and it will help her in her future endeavors. It's always amazing to hear how performers/actors talk about what they learned after doing a show. She also talked a bit about some of the health issues she had.

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-22 16:26:28

What was the hardest part of the show?

I dropped out of a few performances when my dad passed away about a month ago. The show was something that my dad was so very proud of. He was at opening night, even though he was very ill. To get to come back to the show and be surrounded by this amazing group of beautiful, feeling artists as I started the process of grieving and dealing with this new phase of life was really a gift, even though obviously incredibly challenging.

Wow. This makes Diana Rigg's comments to the NYPost really s__y if she knew Lauren was going through this.

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-10-22 16:34:35

Agreed about the Rigg comments. Nasty.

People on here were awfully harsh towards her in what I thought was a beautiful performance that would have won were it not for Lenk. I hope she does return to Broadway in another musical, and I hope she has a better offstage experience next time (no family/health issues). Who knows...maybe she'd even return to Wimpole Street before the end of the run?

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-10-22 16:38:42

I actually think Rigg was gone when Lauren’s father would have passed away, because I remember there was about five days last month when Kerstin Anderson and Heather Botts both played Eliza, and by that time Rosemary Harris had stepped in. However, if Lauren was having health issues and Rigg still felt the need to make those comments it still doesn’t look good on her, IMO.

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-22 16:48:27

laurensambrose said: "I actually think Rigg was gone when Lauren’s father would have passed away, because I remember there was about five days last month when Kerstin Anderson and Heather Botts both played Eliza, and by that time Rosemary Harris had stepped in. However, if Lauren was having health issues and Rigg still felt the need to make those comments it still doesn’t look good on her, IMO."

Well it sounds as if Lauren's father had been gravely ill during the entire run. So if she was having family issues and health issues that Rigg knew about and Rigg decided to go to the NYPost with those comments that's really awful. Maybe there was a Julianna Marguiles/Archie Panjabi type personality conflict between the two of them but still ...

Posted by LuPita2 2018-10-22 18:01:49

For those interested and didn't see it on Telecharge:

*The role of Eliza Doolittle will be performed by Kerstin Anderson on Tuesday evenings beginning 10/30.)

**Laura Benanti will not appear in performances Friday, November 16 at 8pm through Sunday, November 18 at 2pm.

*** Norbert Leo Butz will not appear in performances Friday, November 2 at 8pm through Thursday, November 8 at 7pm.

THANKSGIVING WEEK CHANGE: Laura Benanti WILL appear in the Tuesday, November 20 at 7pm performance, but she will NOT appear in the Friday, November 23 at 8pm performance.

Posted by qafgenius122 2018-10-22 18:29:53

Was notified today that I won one of the fan performances on Halloween! I’m so excited, as I was concerned having already used my Linctix, so now problem solved. I might still go back in January when Danny Burstein joins the cast, but Laura was the catalyst for all my excitement, so to be seeing her, I’m thrilled.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2018-10-22 19:35:54

I’m so excited to see Laura, but Lauren was truly remarkable in this production. I can’t wait to see her onstage again.

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-10-22 19:40:54

Not to add fuel to the fire, but when Ambrose announced she would be dropping a performance it was stated to spend time with family. It was probably clear her dad was dying and with being a lead in a broadway show you dont have much time to begin with. Im glad she dropped a show, so she was able to spend a couple last moments with her father.

Ambrose will always be Eliza doolittle. I was upset at first when she was announced but I can not be more happy she played this part. She was amazing, and I hope to see her on stage again and will be supporting her in anything she does next!

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-10-22 19:56:23

qafgenius122 said: "Was notified today that I won one of the fan performances on Halloween! I’m so excited, as I was concerned having already used my Linctix, so now problem solved. I might still go back in January when Danny Burstein joins the cast, but Laura was the catalyst for all my excitement, so to be seeing her, I’m thrilled."

Congratulations!! 

Posted by rayoflight104 2018-10-22 20:12:05

Does anyone know what the 'partial view' seats miss out on? Is it critical or not so much?

Posted by 3NU 2018-10-22 20:13:26

I was also one of the lottery winners for Halloween day, but I "unfortunately" won an evening performance ticket. I live in Delaware, so an evening performance is pretty much out of the question for me unless I plan to take 1.5 days off of work or arrive at work on Thursday insanely tired (though, the chance to see Laura Benanti is a huge temptation). If anyone won a matinee ticket and is willing to swap, PM me before 12 noon tomorrow!

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-22 21:07:26

rayoflight104 said: "Does anyone know what the 'partial view' seats miss out on? Is it critical or not so much?"

I'm not sure if these are the same seats but I sat in the F row of the 100 section (close to the 113 at the aisle) and I wasn't able to see the bathroom during the rotating set and entrance way with the stairwell was hard to see too, but I really loved sitting there more than I did when I sat in the 300 section in row C. I felt more like a voyeur as opposed to being performed to and it seemed more...intimate somehow. Plus I liked overhearing Diana Rigg having an in-character conversation off to the side while the main action was going on during the ball scene.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-22 21:18:46

I think that Lauren and Harry created something very special during the course of their months together. Lauren pushed herself through many troubles to get to that last performance with Harry that she talks about. 

It will be a real shame if we never get to see what they accomplished, through a filmed version of one of their last performances together, and it doesn't seem like any was made, or if the cast reunites for a Live from Lincoln Center broadcast closing week. This, unfortunately, doesn't seem likely.

I think that the powers that own the rights to these musicals but can't find a way to preserve great performances and present them to the public are not respecting the performers who put so much effort into creating the great performances.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-22 21:24:55

I absolutely agree. This is not hyperbole to me, but I honestly believe Harry Hadden-Paton and Lauren Ambrose created something truly magical together. I believe they both had a similar learning curve and grew together, so their Henry and Eliza was an organic whole that evolved after months of honing their performances. I'm afraid that even if they were to reunite for a Live at Lincoln Center special performance, it'd be too much of a separation that the level they ended on can't be replicated. Yes, I know every Broadway performer grows in their performance and get better and better as the show goes on (until they do it for too long) but that sort of evolution is unique to every show and I just loved Harry and Lauren's evolution together.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-23 18:55:51

Laura Benanti is Eliza Doolittle on Broadway tonight!

Can't wait for reports! 

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-10-23 19:06:04

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpSxBtUh9x7/

Laura will not being doing the stage door, the whole run.

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-10-23 19:13:13

Good for her!

Posted by TotallyEffed 2018-10-23 20:01:10

Break a leg, Laura!

Posted by quizking101 2018-10-23 20:46:35

She owes nothing to anyone given her medical/family situation and she's still going out of her way to appreciate her fans in some capacity. That's some next level kindness she's showing. 

FWIW, the Beaumont Stage Door never really gets super-packed, so the few people who are there are in for a nice surprise.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-10-23 21:55:42

Good for her! Cannot wait to hear the raves! So excited to see her soon!

Posted by Littleshopofcarrie 2018-10-23 21:58:09

Anyone at the show tonight?

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-10-23 22:21:05

https://twitter.com/AlanHenry/status/1054914381983690757?fbclid=IwAR0jeImQBtnhLVf8rAYnseBhrWuYjPst4eNx_2I4thNKLu7w2AvL7k1AQn0 here's a video of her first bow! 

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-10-23 22:27:26

I was in attendance tonight. I was a little concerned when I got there because I was given a Playbill with Lauren Ambrose still in and stuffed with slips, but nothing about Laura Benanti. However, Bartlett Sher came out before the show and gave a very nice speech that this was Laura Benanti’s first night in the show. They later had inserts available in the lobby at intermission and after the show.

I thought Laura Benanti was absolutely divine. Her performance was so polished and perfect that I still can’t grasp tonight was her first night in the role. Her soprano voice is better than ever. Her comedic timing is impeccable. The ascot scene tonight was the funniest I have ever seen it performed out of the multiple productions of I have seen of My Fair Lady.

This is a performance that should not be missed. I could tell that she was having the time of her life up on that stage. I will definitely be going back to see her many times.

Posted by n2nbaby 2018-10-23 22:30:27

Hope they have the Laura Playbills for tomorrow’s matinee...

So excited to hear she’s great, though! I was a little nervous that I was seeing her so early in her run with the show.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-23 23:05:16

So glad to hear a positive review, bwayphreak! I can't wait to see her later this week.

One question I have: were there any noticeable costume/coloring differences between Ambrose's and Benanti's Eliza? (Also, I assume Benanti's Eliza is a brunette?)

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-10-23 23:08:41

BroadwayConcierge said: "So glad to hear a positive review, bwayphreak! I can't wait to see her later this week.

One question I have: were there any noticeable costume/coloringdifferences between Ambrose's and Benanti's Eliza? (Also, I assume Benanti's Eliza is a brunette?)
"

The costumes were identical to the ones that Ambrose wore. Benanti's Eliza is brunette. I am still on cloud nine from seeing her performance tonight. This is one of my favorite Broadway productions I have ever seen, and being able to see it with my favorite actress of all time is such a treat.

Posted by lucillefrank 2018-10-23 23:19:22

Benanti really was born to play Eliza. And her chemistry with Harry Hadden-Paton is amazing. You would not believe they had only met for the first time today.

Posted by VintageSnarker 2018-10-23 23:39:01

quizking101 said: "She owes nothing to anyone given her medical/family situation and she's still going out of her way to appreciate her fans in some capacity. That's some next level kindness she's showing.

FWIW, the Beaumont Stage Door never really gets super-packed, so the few people who are there are in for a nice surprise.
"

That Instagram message is very sweet. The fact that she's signing playbills and offering to sign things left at the stage door is more than she's required to do. I wonder if the items have to be MFL specific or if she'd sign something from past shows. I'd feel better dropping something off at the stage door rather than mailing it and I'm around Lincoln Center enough to easily pick it up. 

I'm torn on whether I want to hang out in this thread because I want to hear all about Laura but I also might not see this until Danny joins. It depends on how long I can hold out. My wallet is crying.

Posted by Dolly80 2018-10-24 00:53:16

lucillefrank said: "Benanti really was born to play Eliza. And her chemistry with Harry Hadden-Paton is amazing. You would not believe they had only met for the first time today. "

They only met for the first time on the day of her first performance?!! That’s hilarious If you think that’s the case...

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2018-10-24 01:01:12

Dolly80 said: "They only met for the first time on the day of her first performance?!! That’s hilarious If you think that’s the case..."

Benanti said just that in her show people interview.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-24 01:02:20

Dolly80, Hadden-Paton has been in Europe for the past month filming the Downton Abbey movie. Benanti said in her recent Show People interview on Broadway.com that as a result, her first rehearsal with Hadden-Patton would not be until the afternoon of her first performance. So while they may have “met” before, today was indeed the first time that their Eliza and Higgins met.

Posted by Musical Master 2018-10-24 01:12:11

So good to hear that Laura is doing great in this role and that the chemistry between her and Paton is wonderful despite just meeting each other on that day.

Posted by ErmengardeStopSniveling 2018-10-24 01:21:37

That kinda works for the show — Eliza and Higgins meet in scene 1 and learn about each other as the show goes on, which Laura and Harry did tonight. If they had been playing Mary & James Tyrone or Maggie & Brick, it probably wouldn’t work out so well.

Posted by lucillefrank 2018-10-24 09:47:31

Dolly80 said: "lucillefrank said: "Benanti really was born to play Eliza. And her chemistry with Harry Hadden-Paton is amazing. You would not believe they had only met for the first time today. "

They only met for the first time on the day of her first performance?!! That’s hilarious If you think that’s the case...
"

I mean sure you can patronize me but I’m only repeating what Benanti told me and what Bart Sher said during the curtain speech last night. 

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-24 11:39:24

I never doubted Laura would be perfect in this role, but I'm shocked that she and Harry only met the day of her first performance and from the accounts here both were able to give a performance as if they've been doing it together for a while. Seasoned theater actors at the top of their game really are capable of amazing things.

Posted by wish i were here2 2018-10-24 18:32:16

Just went to the theatre and was able to get a student rush ticket for tonight!!!

Posted by irishgator1 2018-10-24 19:08:47

I saw the matinee today and it was amazing!! My second time (I saw the first time with the understudy, who was terrific). The Playbills had Laura listed unlike yesterday. She was perfection.

Btw, it was just one other guy and me at the stage door. We ended up asking someone who came out of the SD about the Laura-signed Playbills and that person texted the stage manager, who brought out a signed Playbill for us.

Posted by irishgator1 2018-10-24 19:08:48

I saw the matinee today and it was amazing!! My second time (I saw the first time with the understudy, who was terrific). The Playbills had Laura listed unlike yesterday. She was perfection.

Btw, it was just one other guy and me at the stage door. We ended up asking someone who came out of the SD about the Laura-signed Playbills and that person texted the stage manager, who brought out a signed Playbill for us.

Posted by mikem 2018-10-25 09:50:14

Benanti sent out signed Playbills rather than signed for She Loves Me, also.  I always appreciate it when actors tell you that they're not going to stage door, so you don't have to wonder.  And the signed Playbills are a real kindness.

Irishgator1, did a lot of people come out after the matinee?  I always wonder about matinees on 2-show days.

Posted by slumdogdelaware 2018-10-25 10:17:36

I was at last night's show and it was AMAZING. Benanti truly captured the role, and as stated above, her chemistry with Harry Hadden-Paton is great. I can't believe they only really met the first time the other day; felt like they've been on stage together for ages. However, I'm convinced HHP could have chemistry with a brick wall. 

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2018-10-25 10:38:16

Saw Laura last night. She was so stunning. However, I would suggest for people to maybe wait a couple weeks before going and let her warm up to the role a bit. In Act One, her accent was all over the map. It switched from cockney to Irish to (mostly) Scottish and even a bit of Spanish during one song. She just needs a little time. But other than that it was glorious. And when she comes out at the end of Act One in that dress...not even kidding - one of the most stunning things I’ve ever seen.

Posted by slumdogdelaware 2018-10-25 10:52:59

Jordan Catalano said: "Saw Laura last night. She was so stunning. However, I would suggest for people to maybe wait a couple weeks before going and let her warm up to the role a bit. In Act One, her accent was all over the map. It switched from cockney to Irish to (mostly) Scottish and even a bit of Spanish during one song. She just needs a little time. But other than that it was glorious. And when she comes out at the end of Act One in that dress...not even kidding - one of the most stunning things I’ve ever seen."

Totally agree about the accent! It was a bit strange in places.  

Posted by SmoothLover 2018-10-25 11:15:53

I predicted on one of these threads that Laura would wear a different colored gown at the end of Act 1 and my prediction came to fruition.

Posted by 52889j 2018-10-25 11:28:11

Jordan Catalano said: "Saw Laura last night. She was so stunning. However, I would suggest for people to maybe wait a couple weeks before going and let her warm up to the role a bit. In Act One, her accent was all over the map. It switched from cockney to Irish to (mostly) Scottish and even a bit of Spanish during one song. She just needs a little time. But other than that it was glorious. And when she comes out at the end of Act One in that dress...not even kidding - one of the most stunning things I’ve ever seen. "

Found myself at last night’s show as well and echo this sentiment entirely. Her dialect work is currently a hot mess, which is particularly problematic when MFL is essentially Dialects The Musical. I Could Have Danced All Night was 100% Scottish.

I’m sure she’ll settle in, but the minimal rehearsal shows. Her Without You was quite stunning though. Lots of beautiful, creative vocal inflections.

I didn’t think it was possible, but HHP has massively improved since opening. It was almost like he was conducting the orchestra and composing the music with his face during “I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face.”

Posted by irishgator1 2018-10-25 11:54:27

mikem said: "Benanti sent out signed Playbills rather than signed for She Loves Me, also. I always appreciate it when actors tell you that they're not going to stage door, so you don't have to wonder. And the signed Playbills are a real kindness.

Irishgator1, did a lot of people come out after the matinee? I always wonder about matinees on 2-show days.
"

Yes, a fair number did come out- many of the ensemble, Butz, Corduner, and Donica did. 

Posted by MCfan2 2018-10-25 15:10:15

SmoothLover said: "I predicted on one of these threads that Laura would wear a different colored gown at the end of Act 1 and my prediction came to fruition."

I hope she has a different hairstyle too. The one they gave Lauren at that point was really unflattering. 

Posted by Dancingthrulife2 2018-10-25 15:47:31

Judging from the audio recording "out there," I am not really impressed with many of her choices, which I find jarring and lacking Ambrose's porous humanity that makes this production so special to me personally.

Posted by GeorgeandDot 2018-10-25 15:59:37

Um... ok? You did an in depth analysis of an audio bootleg of a first performance and decided that it was no good. I could elaborate on why that's a rude statement to the actors, but go ahead and scream Trumpism if it rustles your jimmies.

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-25 16:48:01

Anyway, I wish I won the lottery because I'd love to see Benanti. I might still shell out big bucks when one of my family members visit me early December and buy her a ticket. I know it'll be a treat.

Posted by Kad 2018-10-25 16:55:59

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Judging from the audio recording "out there," I am not really impressed with many of her choices, which I find jarring and lacking Ambrose's porous humanity that makes this production so special to me personally."

...how can humanity be porous?

Posted by Sytwix 2018-10-25 17:04:43

FYI Discount code: MFLTM18 $50 off regular prices. Prices for regular tix on Jan 8+ are $77-$117. (Before Jan 8, prices range from $99-$137 for regular tickets.)

Posted by LuPita2 2018-10-25 17:45:41

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Judging from the audio recording "out there," I am not really impressed with many of her choices, which I find jarring and lacking Ambrose's porous humanity that makes this production so special to me personally."

I respect your opinion, that is what this board is about, all kinds of different views.  Anyone stupid enough to pass judgement on yours isn't worth your time.  I loved Laura, others don't.  To each their own.  

Posted by GreeneStreet 2018-10-25 17:47:20

LuPita2 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Judging from the audio recording "out there," I am not really impressed with many of her choices, which I find jarring and lacking Ambrose's porous humanity that makes this production so special to me personally."

I respect your opinion, that is what this board is about, all kinds of different views. Anyone stupid enough to pass judgement on yours isn't worth your time. I loved Laura, others don't. To each their own.

"

It’s a bootlegged audio of her first performance, which might not even exsist. To even voice an opinion on an audio is tacky.

Posted by henrikegerman 2018-10-25 17:51:41

52889j said: "I Could Have Danced All Night was 100% Scottish."

I'm trying to imagine how that could even be possible.  How exactly would one accomplish that, even if one wanted to?

Posted by GeorgeandDot 2018-10-25 17:57:29

LuPita2 said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "Judging from the audio recording "out there," I am not really impressed with many of her choices, which I find jarring and lacking Ambrose's porous humanity that makes this production so special to me personally."

I respect your opinion, that is what this board is about, all kinds of different views. Anyone stupid enough to pass judgement on yours isn't worth your time. I loved Laura, others don't. To each their own.

"

First of all, this is not what this board is all about.  I enjoy a good audio boot, but I will not base my opinion on one nor will I share that opinion, because that is rude, classless, and tacky (as another poster on here has said).  Their opinion would be valid if they saw the show but because they did not, it is not valid.  Audio boots are illegal, but I find them good for posterity.  In the future, we will be happy to have them.  That being said, you shouldn't dismiss someone's performance over it.  Your opinion is that you didn't care for her "choices," but you didn't see her choices, therefore the opinion you have is based on an illegal audio bootleg, which makes your opinion completely invalid.

<<edited by BWW staff>>

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-25 19:02:31

"Porous humanity"? How can you judge a perfromance on an audio bootleg? And for the record I was at an early preview of Ambrose where she went up in lines during the entire Ascot scene. i was discerning enough to realize her Eliza was a work in progress and sure enough when I went back after the show was frozen she was leagues better. You just dislike Benanti because of her politics, and have an agenda. It's so transparent.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-10-25 19:12:57

And just when you think the posts on here could not get any dumber...

Posted by NYadgal 2018-10-25 22:20:40

I adored Lauren Ambrose, and think she found a fresh view of an iconic character.  Brava!  Her chemistry with HH-P was extraordinary.    She weathered many storms throughout her run with total class.   I treasure my cast recording with her voice captured for all time.  She turned in a star performance and I’ll not soon forget it,

I have no need to see this show again.   I saw - and felt - perfection with the original cast.    That said, I wish Laura the best.  She has big shoes to fill.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-25 22:25:35

Made my way back to the show tonight. This production is just so glorious. I kind of My Fair Lady’d myself out this spring after seeing it at the Beaumont so many times, but revisiting it months later, it still feels fresh, vibrant, and just magnificent. One of my all-time favorite revivals. 

Benanti is an excellent Eliza, and I think she’ll develop her performance over her run to make her even stronger. She sounds pitch-perfect and sings the hell out of the score (as expected), but tonight at least, I found her to almost be focusing too much on her vocals and accent. For example, during “I Could’ve Danced All Night,” she hardly smiled once, clearly focused on nailing those notes and changing her way of speaking for the first time. That was a bit of a detriment for me, since that song is kind of supposed to be Eliza’s happiest/most climactic point in the show thus far. 

The biggest difference I found between Ambrose’s Eliza and Benanti’s Eliza (besides the color of her “Without You” dress, once blue, now pink) is that there is, indeed, underlying romantic chemistry between Higgins and Eliza. I didn’t find there to be any romance with Ambrose’s Eliza (which I enjoyed), but Benanti’s Eliza is very much digging Higgins. Special shoutout to Harry Hadden-Paton, who is still slaying Higgins and who I still think should’ve won the Tony. 

I was extremely vocal about how much I fell head over heels in love with Lauren Ambrose’s performance, and I’m glad to say that I wasn’t longing for her during most of the show. The only scene I kept thinking about her, though, was during “Without You,” when Benanti’s Eliza became visibly emotional at parts (to the near point of tears), and at another point mildly taunted Higgins. I did miss Ambrose’s towering strength and unwavering confidence during that scene. She did not stoop down to Higgins’ low once. (My other small comparative criticism: I also thought Benanti sped through this production’s powerful ending a little too quickly.)

I will be revisiting the show (shocker!) many times with Benanti in the role. I can’t wait to see how she grows. However, her Ascot scene right now is pretty perfect. Hilarious to the point of severe belly laughter.

Edit: Also, I hate to say it, but I did not buy the father/daughter age relationship between Butz and Benanti. I know Benanti's age has always been a question for this role, but I never really thought about it during the performance except during the short Eliza/Alfred scenes. 

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-25 22:38:31

NYadgal said: "

I have no need to see this show again. I saw - and felt - perfection with the original cast. That said, I wish Laura the best. She has big shoes to fill."

Excuse me? The original cast? The original cast was Julie Andrews, Rex Harrison and Stanley Holloway with Moss Hart directing. 

Posted by mikem 2018-10-25 22:55:09

irishgator1, thanks for the stage door report!  It sounds like a decent number of people come out after the matinee, although not HHP. 

And Sytwix, thanks for the discount code!  I have a feeling it will get a lot of use around here!

Posted by 52889j 2018-10-25 23:07:49

henrikegerman said: "52889j said: "I Could Have Danced All Night was 100% Scottish."

I'm trying to imagine how that could even be possible. How exactly would one accomplish that, even if one wanted to?
"

I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t heard it. At intermission, my party all turned to each other just to make sure we weren’t hallucinating. “Could” was pronounced “cooed,” r’s were rolled, etc. I have no doubt she’ll smooth it out over the next few weeks, but it was quite jarring last night. 

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2018-10-26 10:05:30

henrikegerman said: "52889j said: "I Could Have Danced All Night was 100% Scottish."

I'm trying to imagine how that could even be possible. How exactly would one accomplish that, even if one wanted to?
"

I mean...easily.  You place the word 'could' further into the mask (right at the sides of your nostrils), something similar with 'done' and hit the r's with almost a bit of a roll.  I've been doing it at my desk this morning and, though it has NOTHING to do with My Fair Lady, I'd totally <<edited by BWW staff>> me cause Scottish boys are really bloody hot. 

Posted by JBC3 2018-10-26 10:38:21

GeorgeandDot said: "Um... ok? You did an in depth analysis of an audio bootleg of a first performance and decided that it was no good. I could elaborate on why that's a rude statement to the actors, but go ahead and scream Trumpism if it rustles your jimmies."

Quite the overreaction on your part given the rather benign comment to which you were responding.

Posted by JSquared2 2018-10-26 10:53:41

NYadgal said: "I have no need to see this show again. I saw - and felt - perfection with the original cast. That said, I wish Laura the best. She has big shoes to fill."

Really? You "wish her the best"??  Oh, come off it.

Posted by slumdogdelaware 2018-10-26 11:09:48

Edit: Also, I hate to say it, but I did not buy the father/daughter age relationship between Butz and Benanti. I know Benanti's age has always been a question for this role, but I never really thought about it during the performance except during the short Eliza/Alfred scenes."

Isn't Ambrose older than Benanti? Not that it really matters, but to your point. I didn't really feel any issue with it while watching. Actually, I was wondering how Butz got so old...

Posted by givesmevoice 2018-10-26 11:11:14

Maybe she’s singing I Could’ve Danced All Night with a Scottish accent because of Mrs. Pearce’s influence.

Posted by NYadgal 2018-10-26 11:34:24

Yes.  I do.  Sincerely.

Posted by Catsbroadwayfan 2018-10-26 12:26:15

Jordan Catalano said: "Saw Laura last night. She was so stunning. However, I would suggest for people to maybe wait a couple weeks before going and let her warm up to the role a bit. In Act One, her accent was all over the map. It switched from cockney to Irish to (mostly) Scottish and even a bit of Spanish during one song. She just needs a little time. But other than that it was glorious. And when she comes out at the end of Act One in that dress...not even kidding - one of the most stunning things I’ve ever seen. "

Damn it Jordan, that is one hot profile picture. Jake is looking fineeee

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-26 12:27:44

If you think one interpretation of a role as rich and complex as Eliza can be the only and final interpretation then you really aren't a fan of My Fair Lady.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-26 12:48:54

slumdogdelaware said: "Isn't Ambrose older than Benanti? Not that it really matters, but to your point. I didn't really feel any issue with it while watching. Actually, I was wondering how Butz got so old..."

I thought Ambrose read younger on stage than Benanti. Maybe because the former has a rounder, cherubish face, and the latter has harsh cheekbones. Again, this wasn’t a big deal at all, but those Alfred scenes did stand out to me age difference-wise in a way they didn’t with Ambrose. 

Posted by slumdogdelaware 2018-10-26 12:51:03

I see your point, BroadwayConcierge!

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2018-10-26 14:27:06

poisonivy2 said: "If you think one interpretation of a role as rich and complex as Eliza can be the only and final interpretation then you really aren't a fan of My Fair Lady."

Well...then it's good that absolutely no one in this thread said that or even implied it. 

Posted by Plexsis 2018-10-26 14:46:27

I was extremely happy to see Lauren Ambrose before she left and I thought she was perfection! I’m also super happy that this revival is attracting top notch talent such as Benanti and Burnstein (who I had the privilege of seeing in Cabaret) to keep this fantastic production going.

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-27 14:14:37

poisonivy2 said: "If you think one interpretation of a role as rich and complex as Eliza can be the only and final interpretation then you really aren't a fan of My Fair Lady."

Laura is of a different personality type than Julie, Audrey and Lauren. I might label those three as demure. Laura is not demure. I would love to see her put her own stamp on the role.

Really, at her age, in a very high profile production, this is her chance, and maybe her only chance, to raise herself up to the level of a Kelli O'Hara. She would have to make her Eliza someone about whom everyone was talking.

Good start at the box office. Saturday matinee a complete sell-out, even at StubHub. Sunday matinee likely to follow. I wonder if box office was a consideration when Sher picked Laura without considering anyone else.

The King and I, despite its good notices, was a box office disappointment compared to South Pacific. The latter ran for over 1000 performances, with the virtually unknown Laura Osnes playing Nellie for the last seven months. The King and I, despite the same glowing reviews, closed after 538. It was a very expensive show and at the first signs of running for a loss it was quickly shut down. The show may have been more appreciated in its touring and London companies.

My Fair Lady, despite all its acclaim, looks like it is heading more in the way of The King and I at the box office. Sher might have thought that Benanti could certainly handle the role and might boost the attendance with her national TV recognition.

Posted by poisonivy2 2018-10-27 17:15:54

If this were corporate speak I'd say hiring Benanti was an attempt to "bring the company in a different direction." But seriously this revival has had a lot of unforeseen difficulties. Sher couldn;t have predicted that Ambrose would have personal and health problems during much of the run and be offered a tv show, or that Hadden-Patton would need to take such extended absences, nor the mess with Diana Rigg. 

I can't wait to see Benanti in the role -- seeing this with my mom on Thanksgiving.

Posted by Jimmyb1969 2018-10-28 08:45:14

Front and center last night! Finally someone who can sing the role! No offense to the Ambrose lovers but I left the theatre completely satisfied tonight and that’s not what I felt when I saw Ambrose earlier in the run. There was a dark pall over the show with her and her singing did no justice to the brilliant songs. I’d call her serviceable. I liked that Benanti and Paton had some real sparks too whereas I just felt kinda sad before. And let’s face it Benanti can sing. I wasn’t sitting there thinking I’m not sure she’s gonna hit that note like before. She nailed it. Just exquisite vocally. And they’ve shave liked 20 minutes off the show... it was a brisk 2:50 tonight. Breezed right through.

Posted by ArtMan 2018-10-28 09:35:00

When I saw the show the last week in August, with Lauren, the show ran at 2:50.  So I'm not sure if you are implying that the show is shorter now with Laura.  Count me in the group that thought Lauren was terrific and charming in the role.  But once was enough for me, whoever is in the role.

Posted by ArtMan 2018-10-28 09:35:00

double post

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-28 09:52:11

Well, Laura's first performance was Tuesday, and it took until Saturday for the gloves to come off on what will be the heavyweight battle of 2018. About time for its own thread.

There was a dark pall over the show with her and her singing did no justice to the brilliant songs. I’d call her serviceable.

Since there have been no recent reviews of Lauren, and Jimmy might want to be reminded that the above is opinion, not fact, here is Lauren's last review, from mid-September, from a UK pub that says right off that Laura is "bound to be a brilliant Eliza." No bias here.

If ever a star turn was worth crossing the Atlantic for it has to be Lauren Ambrose in My Fair Lady. But, in the immortal words of the show’s heroine Eliza Doolittle, you’d better move your bloomin’ arse as Ambrose is only in it until 21 October.

...Ambrose is an absolute revelation.

Who knew she had such a lovely soprano voice, showcased in songs like ‘Wouldn’t It Be Loverly’ and ‘I Could Have Danced All Night”? Or that she had such a flair for comedy, whining and scrunching up her face as Professor Henry Higgins tries to pass her off as posh as part of a social experiment?

Or that she had the range to effect Eliza’s transformation from poor flower girl to well-to-do socialite, nailing both cockney and upper-crust accents, so convincingly?

Just as long as it all remains civil.  Yeah, that's about as likely as Trump winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Posted by enjoyable2 2018-10-28 10:55:58

When I heard the cast album, I thought Ambrose was a very good singer hanging on the edge of those challenging songs.  I won't be able to hear Benanti, but I imagine the orchestra must enjoy performing with someone who is their absolute equal. 

Posted by GeorgeandDot 2018-10-28 12:16:30

So... we're not allowed to compare Benanti and Ambrose's performances?

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-28 13:13:02

On the contrary. I'm looking forward to it. So are a lot of others.

Isn't that a lot about what these message boards are for? You see a show, perhaps alone, and you don't want it to die. You want to tell others about it, and compare opinions. And neither lady is going to be a loser.

I shut myself up before I write another verbose comment.

Posted by MCfan2 2018-10-29 15:12:41

Laura has a couple of curtain call photos up at her Instagram. Does anyone know where to find other pictures of her in costume? I've been looking around but can't find any, not even at the show's official Instagram.

Posted by laurensambrose 2018-10-29 15:26:55

Check tags like #MyFairLady or even just #LauraBenanti ! That’s how I found pictures of Lauren during her run.

Posted by SmoothLover 2018-10-29 21:23:09

It will be interesting when Danny comes in to replace Norbert. He will be just as good if not better.

Posted by MadisonGuy 2018-10-30 15:13:48

Do you think Laura will extend?  I am hoping to come to New York in August.  What are the chances she will still be performing this role?  Thanks.

Posted by disneybroadwayfan22 2018-10-30 18:08:47

Little Ella is adorable!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-Laura-Benanti-Gets-Direction-From-a-Tiny-Taskmaster-for-MY-FAIR-LADY-20181030

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-30 18:16:23

MadisonGuy said: "Do you think Laura will extend? I am hoping to come to New York in August. What are the chances she will still be performing this role? Thanks."

August 2019? No.

Posted by ColorTheHours048 2018-10-30 18:28:29

Just from the stories she tells about her, you can tell Laura’s daughter is an absolute riot. She’s definitely a handful, but all kids are, so at least she’s funny. That video is great.

I can’t wait to see Laura in the show. I have such fond memories of Lauren in the role and I’m sure I’ll be falling in love with this great production starring another actress I admire just as highly.

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-10-30 23:10:38

I am so annoyed that people are giving her a hard time for not stage dooring, she literally took extra time to have signed playbills for people. Ugh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BplNw8FBSPc/

Posted by 7thbighero 2018-10-31 12:27:42

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-Youll-Grow-Accustomed-to-Her-Face-First-Look-at-Laura-Benanti-in-MY-FAIR-LADY-20181031

she looks gorgeous in those costumes

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-31 13:23:03

Great pictures! Although she definitely wasn't wearing that dress in the second picture when I saw her last week!

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2018-10-31 17:04:15

Harry Hadden-Paton's hair piece looks thicker than before.

Posted by lesmizsaigon 2018-10-31 17:53:21

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "Harry Hadden-Paton's hair piece looks thicker than before."

It flopped around more than usual. Also was he wearing fangs during curtain call? Cute! 

Posted by BeNice 2018-10-31 18:27:52

Just saw the matinee.

(Forgive me if I am committing musical theatre blasphemy. I don't want to take away anyone's excitement over seeing her. I think her performance brings a lot of people joy.)

I just love this show so much so I was a little sad that some of the nuance of the text and themes seem a bit lost now. I really do not want to compare the two actresses, but after today, it did made me appreciate Ambrose' interpretation a little more. 

Ambrose let herself be vulnerable, sensitive, and we really saw how the men in her life affected her which made her blossoming arc to "Without You" so fascinating to watch. For whatever quibbles I had about her voice and her being new to musical theatre, I left the theatre really thinking about her, the themes of class, morality, etc. I always felt like Ambrose' Eliza was a Lady but just born to the wrong station. It was always within her to want to better herself (she prided herself on being a "good girl" and her desire to learn seemed so genuine and the stakes so real and high.

Today's Eliza was a little tougher and I never felt like she couldn't take care of herself and improving her station was not as an important matter. For whatever reason, I was always aware of an actress playing the role of Eliza instead of being Eliza (yes the slightly self-conscious accents didn't help.) Obviously she nailed the comedy of the Ascot scene and looks stunning in every costume, but I didn't feel empathy for her journey, as I wasn't quite sure what this Eliza wanted so badly or if she even really needed it. 

Anyway, that is my two cents. I just want to soak in this revival while it's still open because I do think My Fair Lady is a close-to-perfect musical.  

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2018-10-31 19:17:23

More opinions of Benanti's accent, please.

Posted by Skip23 2018-10-31 19:17:58

I have to agree.  (saw the matinee too)

There wasn't much of an arc in Benanti's performance.  Tough in the beginning and tough in the end.  The point of the show is that Eliza is blindsided by this man.  Didn't see this today.  SPOILER And why does she need to walk out through the audience?  This ain't "I Am What I Am"!  WE GET IT!!!

Higgins is also somewhat of a sap in this production.  Flouncing around the stage.  And "...Accustomed...Face" goes nowhere.  It's supposed to be a realization that she has enchanted him.  Here it's more of a song and dance full out declamatory number.  Misses the point.

Also:  for a show about diction, it was sorely lacking in several actors, primarily Benanti.  I couldn't understand half of what she was saying and I was center.  Besides the strange accents (they are very clouded) she tends to rush everything and swallow many lines.  "Move your blooming arse" was garbled and rushed.  No laugh today.

And it seems like she's protecting her voice constantly.  No push or color.  Safe notes and careful delivery.  Bland and boring.

Sorry I missed Ambrose.

Butz was out this afternoon.  Understudy was serviceable.  Although I don't think anyone could rescue that curious drag "I'm Getting Married..." number.

Rosemary Harris was a breath of fresh air.  One of the only pros up there.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2018-10-31 19:41:32

Skip23 said: "Rosemary Harris was a breath of fresh air. One of the only pros up there."

Comments like this really rub me the wrong way. Out of that entire cast, you REALLY thought only one person was professional...?

Posted by Skip23 2018-10-31 19:44:54

Yeah.  In fact, I did.  You got a problem with that?  :)

Obviously!

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-10-31 21:00:00

Very difficult role with multiple accents. Julie Andrews had a lot of problems with the accents and she had a long time to learn them. Very little rehearsal time. No rehearsal with leading man. Reviews are unfair until she’s had several weeks to settle into the role.

Posted by BroadwayConcierge 2018-10-31 22:26:29

BeNice said: "Ambrose let herself be vulnerable, sensitive, and we really saw how the men in her life affected her which made her blossoming arc to "Without You" so fascinating to watch."

As the days have gone by since I saw Benanti in the role, I do keep thinking about how unchanged I felt her Eliza was by the time we got to "Without You" with her. For Ambrose's Eliza, it felt like we had reached the end of an extraordinary arc for the character. With Ambrose, the vulnerable, ambitious, tender Eliza that we started off with in "Loverly" had evolved into a woman of immense resolve, dignity, and strength. A woman no longer seeking a change in her station, but who is now grappling with how to come to terms with a man who has changed her life profoundly and yet challenges her core. As I said before, I was nowhere near as moved during "Without You" by Benanti's Eliza, who did not really seem to have been as affected or changed by everything that had happened until that point. It really bothered me that she gets emotional and almost mocking of Higgins during "Without You." Maybe she started off the show too strong...?

Posted by DollyGallagher1964 2018-10-31 22:51:34

I’m afraid I must disagree with the above posters in their negative assessments of today’s matinee. I found both the show and its leading lady to be absolutely enchanting! I felt I was taking part in something really quite special, something almost magical - everything a great afternoon at the theatre should be!

I’ve long been a lurker on these board, but haven’t yet had the courage until now to willingly jump into the lion’s den and actually post something on here. You all have sharp claws - Jungle Red!

But I had to come to the defense of Laura Benanti, whom I thought really quite extraordinary! And, no, I promise I’m not a shill from the production (although I assume an accused shill, much like a trapped spy, would likely say the same thing).

Ms. Benanti’s singing was excellent, of course, and her comedic timing impeccable as always. But it was in the more intimate moments of her performance that I felt her Eliza was at its most effective. There was something so tragically pathetic in her early line readings (I’m thinking particularly when she tells Higgins and Pickering how she washed her face and hands before coming to see them) that I, for perhaps the first time, realized the enormity and bravery of Eliza’s decision to forgo her life as a flower girl. In that moment, she’s putting everything on the line and putting herself and her future at the mercy of that brute Henry Higgins, who of course takes no notice of the fact that Eliza likely agonized over her appearance for hours before coming to see him. I thought Benanti played that and similar small moments quite beautifully.

Likewise, I felt the dynamic shift in behavior and temperament between Eliza and Higgins became particularly pronounced this time around. Having seen the show back in May, I feel that Hadden-Patton has definitely grown in the role (despite being gone the past two months), and that the behavioral degeneration of his Higgins contrasted quite nicely with Benanti’s poised second act Eliza.

Rosemary Harris was excellent, but let’s not kid ourselves - Mrs. Higgins isn’t Eleanor of Aquitaine. To give her high marks at the expense of others in the cast as an above poster did seems a little disingenuous to me. Both Joe Hart and Adam Grupper, the understudies on today for Alfred and Pickering, respectively, were certainly more than serviceable and were really both quite exceptional. I don’t feel the similarity in age between Eliza and her father was such a visual issue today as I feared it might have been had Norbert been in.

Overall, I was really quite moved by today’s performance, which lately seems to be my main qualification for judging a show’s success. In these grim times, I enjoy the occasional escape and this one sure was loverly!

Posted by BenElliott 2018-11-01 01:08:01

I saw the show tonight and I'll post more tomorrow, but I thought that it was incredible even with some incredibly entertaining mishaps. I saw the show in April and had major problems with it, especially with Lauren Ambrose's acting choices and singing chops. I also had problems with Butz. I thought Benanti was sensational. She ups the stakes and really kills it. She's tough from the very beginning, which makes it so that the show isn't so much about a woman growing stronger, but more about a woman learning to respect herself, which I really enjoyed. Also, she's hysterical and finds wonderful humor and humanity in such unexpected places. Her performance feels somewhat timeless and vaudevillian, but in a good way. It's just a great, charismatic performance. You absolutely fall in love with her.

Posted by BenElliott 2018-11-01 10:26:58

Found some time to really collect my thoughts.

First of all, last night was a prime example of the magic of live theatre. Laura tripped over her shoelaces and took a tumble in Loverly. She didn't miss a beat and stopped in the song to tie her laces and she said something like "take it away gents, I gotta tie me shoelaces." Loverly was great last night it has more color and specificity from when I saw it previews. I guess they must've made a few changes there. She also kind of fell off a chair in Show Me, but best of all, the turn table wouldn't stop moving after the Embassy ball and seemed to actually speed up. Her and Karpathy stalled for sometime before she turned to the audience and said "Hi, this was supposed to stop spinning a long time ago." They then held the show, apparently there was a problem with the Higgins house and the turntable. Instead of her clearing the stage, Laura Benanti decided to start playing games with the audience and, in full Embassy ball gown, said "guess what animal I am" and started walking around the stage like a monkey. She said something about "Happy Halloween everyone. You've witnessed me trip over my shoelaces, fall off a chair, and now I've broken the stage." The show started up after they fixed the stage, but we were all treated to nice Laura Benanti comedy break. She then came out for the final bow with neon green vampire teeth in. It was great.

Just some more thoughts,
The understudies were great and I may have enjoyed them more than the normal principles. I thought they found some wonderful moments and I thought Joe Hart was a better age for Alfred than NLB. Rosemary Harris is better than Diana Rigg (who I love) simply because I feel that she does more with the part. Harry Hadden-Patton has grown into Higgins wonderfully and him and Benanti have great chemistry. Donica is great, but, and I seem to be the only person who thinks this, I think he goes a little flat on the top notes of On the Street Where you Live. Maybe it's just because I have performed the song and I know what that note is supposed to be, but I don't think he quite hits it.

Now for the big one. I love Lauren Ambrose. I'm a huge fan because Six Feet Under might be my favorite show ever. However, from a technical acting standpoint and a technical singing standpoint, she was, unfortunately, very disappointing to me back in March. Clearly, she touched a lot of people here with her performance, but I found her a bit too internal and in a weird place between over acting and under acting. I was also constantly worried about her singing. She also didn't really get all the comedy and her performance felt low stakes in those intense second act scenes. I hate to compare performers like this, but I preferred Benanti. She takes her Eliza on a different journey, sings the pants off that score, and is both heartbreaking and hilarious. She is hammy in the part, in a good way, I think and her cockney needs a bit of work here and there, which I'm sure they're working with her on. Her post-transformation accent is very good, because it's slightly imperfect. I don't know if this is a choice or simply because her RP is flawed, but she speaks as if this is a new dialect for her, which works for me. Also, she looks stunning. I won't give too much away about her performance, but she isn't a traditional Eliza.

Posted by natashalost 2018-11-07 14:23:31

Laura Benanti, Norbert Leo Butz, and Jordan Donica all out at today’s matinee.

Posted by kade.ivy 2018-11-07 16:27:00

natashalost said: "Laura Benanti, Norbert Leo Butz, and Jordan Donica all out at today’s matinee."

She posted apologies on Instagram and said she was "having a family emergency." No elaboration beyond that. Hope all turns out well and she's back onstage living her dream soon! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp46hNcha4F/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Posted by kade.ivy 2018-11-07 19:32:17

Looks like Ella had an accident but is on the mend. Laura is taking tonight off as well to be with her but plans to return tomorrow. Also, Butz’s absence today was scheduled, per Telecharge. He’s out until Friday. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp5gxuCBsCy/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14xxnx9y2zbcc

Posted by OlBlueEyes 2018-11-22 01:00:05

Now for the big one. I love Lauren Ambrose. I'm a huge fan because Six Feet Under might be my favorite show ever. However, from a technical acting standpoint and a technical singing standpoint, she was, unfortunately, very disappointing to me back in March. 

I don't think that you can judge Lauren off the March previews just as you can't judge Laura for blowing the accents when she had so little rehearsal time. 

Not only was it Lauren's Broadway debut, but she revealed in her interview with the Times that it was a very difficult period for her.

Early in previews, and I had a sinus infection, and I took an antibiotic that I had a really bad reaction to. I felt like I was going to throw up, and I was on a turntable that was literally spinning. I thought, If I can get through this, I can get through anything.

Little did she know that she would have to get through the death of her father. Or maybe she did know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/theater/lauren-ambrose-my-fair-lady.html

There were about a hundred posts on Laura for Eliza when the show was announced and about 200 after it was announced that she would be taking over the role. I thought Laura reviews would be flying in by now. I know, she was away last week.

Posted by BobbyBubby 2018-11-22 01:54:37

OlBlueEyes said: "
Not only was it Lauren's Broadway debut, but she revealed in her interview with the Times that it was a very difficult period for her.”

My Fair Lady was not Ambrose’s Broadway debut  She was in Awake and Sing in 2006 and Exit the King in 2009.

Posted by SmoothLover 2018-11-22 02:29:54

Who is replacing Harry and Laura in January?

Posted by Emmaloucbway 2018-11-22 09:42:57

SmoothLover said: "Who is replacing Harry and Laura in January?"

Wait, is Hadden-Paton leaving in January? 

Posted by Fan123 2018-11-23 03:24:34

BroadwayConcierge said: "For Ambrose's Eliza, it felt like we had reached the end of an extraordinary arc for the character. With Ambrose, the vulnerable, ambitious, tender Eliza that we started off with in "Loverly" had evolved into a woman of immense resolve, dignity, and strength. A woman no longer seeking a change in her station, but who is now grappling with how to come to terms with a man who has changed her life profoundly and yet challenges her core. As I said before, I was nowhere near as moved during "Without You" by Benanti's Eliza, who did not really seem to have been as affected or changed by everything that had happened until that point."

I've never seen a live production of this show, but on the page and in the film, I personally find Eliza's arc to be somewhat circular, to mix the geometry metaphors. And not necessarily in a bad way. Towards the start when she asks for lessons, it seems to me that she already then has the self-regard to believe that she can rise up if given the opportunity, and she already recognises that Higgins doesn't treat her well enough. She temporarily loses that sense of self-worth, but (arguably) regains it by the end, along with having gained new skills that will give her practical power to make her way in the world. She succeeds in transforming... back into herself. I haven't pored over every nuance of this show - or this thread - so was curious if any others see it in this way? It could be that it's all in how it's played, of course.