Printer Friendly - Bette Midler in HELLO, DOLLY coming to London in 2019?

Bette Midler in HELLO, DOLLY coming to London in 2019?
Posted by jacobsnchz14 2018-05-17 13:48:35

https://twitter.com/mrCarlWoodward/status/997161383711166464

@mrCarlWoodward

More

I’m hearing that Bette Midler is coming to town: Hello Dolly! is — the London Palladium. 2019.

Posted by haterobics 2018-05-17 14:19:07

Is there any reason to believe this is more than just some random person on Twitter "hearing" something?

Posted by DAME 2018-05-18 13:15:40

Would David go as well?

Posted by Dollypop 2018-05-18 18:16:07

Does British Airways give frequent flyer miles?

Posted by EleanorC 2018-05-18 18:57:52

Dollypop said: "Does British Airways give frequent flyer miles?"

Yes, both Avios points and BA Executive club tier points! If you need any other info, I know a lot about their reward system and predominately fly with British Airways. 

I also share your love of Hello Dolly :), have been reading the other thread for a while and crossing the pond to see BM once more and BP in her final performance!

Posted by Dollypop 2018-05-18 19:32:39

Eleanor, there's always room for another Dollypop!

Posted by EleanorC 2018-05-19 17:10:33

Too kind??- there will only ever be the original Dollypop!

Here’s hoping the production lives on in London, will be so sad when it finishes in the US!

Posted by Dallas Theatre Fan 2019-01-05 21:55:38

The Rumors are starting to heat back up again.  16 week run (possibility of 20, depends on how Bette feels) at the Dominion over the summer.   No word on casting but, I think David Hyde Pierce is part of the package.  Rudin will probably try to talk Gavin Creel and Charlie Stemp into doing the run.  

I'm excited!!!

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2019-01-05 22:30:45

Wonder if they’d use an alternate and if they'll get a Broadway or West End actress to fulfill that duty! Hope this comes to fruition and maybe they'll film it like King and I did???

Posted by r7 2019-01-05 22:32:44

There is only one set, and one set of costumes.... The first National tour isn't over until August of 2019. Would Scott really sink that much into a limited run? Think about the ROI... It would have to wait... 

Posted by Dallas Theatre Fan 2019-01-05 23:12:08

I think Rubin will probably built a new set.  the Dominion has a wide stage, almost 40 feet!  So, most of the set pieces need to be elongated.

Bette will only still do six shows,  my dream is Donna Murphy is talked into spending a summer in London but, it won't happen.  The name being floated around is Jane McDonald and some even think Elaine Paige will be the alternate. 

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2019-01-06 00:31:39

r7 said: "There is only one set, and one set of costumes.... The first National tour isn't over until August of 2019. Would Scott really sink that much into a limited run? Think about the ROI... It would have to wait..."

Scott does what Scott wants, if the past few years have taught us anything. And the design package could later be used in an international/UK tour, like K&I. Though, this thread now has 2 theatres rumored (Dominion and Palladium), so let's believe it when we see it.

Word was Bette wouldn't do the Broadway return engagement without DHP, so if this happens, I would assume he'll go to London. Also safe to assume she'll do a 7-show week.

Posted by ACL2006 2019-01-06 08:13:10

but does Donna Murphy go with Bette again to be the alternate for Mondays?

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-06 08:55:59

Thats all I want! But the expense of moving Donna over and flying her back every week (I assume unless she wants to check off a lot of European travel shed want to go back) seems excessive for someone that is probably not too well known in the West End. Maybe theyd use a West End veteran.

Posted by Theatrefanboy1 2019-01-06 09:57:32

It is quite strange that there have been these rumours about hello dolly with Bette milder in the west end in 2019. Because I have been hearing that she was planning on touring this year. Unless the rumour of touring was more traveling over to London for half a year. But as well heard that by mid summer she would be touring (so maybe the rumours are true. That shell head over and do a July to January reprise.

Posted by BJR 2019-01-06 10:00:41

Also, who invests in this when DOLLY on Bway - a solid year of huge business - didn't recoup. Costs would be lower in London but so would ticket prices. 

Also, does Rudin produce in London? I thought often Bway producers partner with London ones for transfers, since the industries have their own quirks.

Posted by Huss417 2019-01-06 10:04:44

BJR said: "Also, who invests in this when DOLLY on Bway - a solid year of huge business - didn't recoup. Costs would be lower in London but so would ticket prices.
"

According to Forbes is did recoup.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeseymour/2018/08/27/hello-dolly-closes-with-broken-records-trickling-roi/#4d4014d72dd0

Posted by David10086 2019-01-06 10:09:57

BJR said: "Also, who invests in this when DOLLY on Bway - a solid year of huge business - didn't recoup. "

DOLLY didn't recoup its investment from this past revival? That's quite contrary to what others have reported over the past year. Does anyone know for certain? 

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-06 10:25:57

I definitely did recoup. However, to their point for some strange reason only just. The running expenses must have been insanely high, It didn't even seem to recoup before Bernadette took over.

Posted by Huss417 2019-01-06 10:33:38

The Forbes article I posted pretty much explains it. :)

Posted by Dallas Theatre Fan 2019-01-06 11:08:01

I thought Bette and Scott were doing this production as a passion project more than anything else.   It was always going to be hard to make money in this production.

The rumors about it happening at the Palladium are dead, Joseph is playing there over the summer so it will be at the Dominion if it happens.

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2019-01-06 13:06:07

The advertising expenses ($150K per week if Forbes is correct) could be a factor in the low profit. Also, Bette's not the only one who made bank: other salaries rise with a star like her, and sometimes there are "bumps" post-recoupment or when the gross is over a certain amount. After the books were closed, the investors probably made a total profit of ~ 15-20%, which is still a LOT better than the shows closing this afternoon. Investors could also make $$ from the tour, and they got a Tony + bragging rights.

Posted by Impossible2 2019-01-06 13:32:23

Y'all do realise these official 'figures' are always heavily inflated out the wazoo right?

Posted by BJR 2019-01-06 15:03:39

I stand corrected! Thanks for the link. 

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2019-01-10 12:40:11

Still to be taken with a grain of salt, but the random tweeter who posted the original rumor about Bette at the Palladium now says:

"Hearing that HELLO DOLLY will be heading to Dominion Theatre, London this summer for a limited 16 week engagement - minus Bette Midler. Bernadette Peters will instead star. Domain purchased here - http://hellodollylondon.com"

"It's v real"

Posted by BwayJudd 2019-01-10 13:38:48

So hoping the Bernadette rumor is true!!

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-10 14:01:10

Oh my god. Will we finally get a cast recording with Bernadette now???? I hope this happens.

Posted by Dallas Theatre Fan 2019-01-10 14:10:01

I don’t want to be a Debbie down but I don’t think Bernadette can support a 16 week run on the West End. She isn’t that big of a name over there so they might try to get a big British name for Horace.

Posted by Wick3 2019-01-10 14:26:33

I love Bernadette but I actually thought if Hello Dolly goes to West End they'd try to get a British actress like Imelda Staunton who may be a bigger name there. 

Posted by ErmengardeStopSniveling 2019-01-10 14:56:58

DOLLY as a title still means something over there. The title + Bernie + limited run could sell. Kelli OHara did not mean anything in KING AND I it sold on great buzz.

The great thing about this DOLLY on Bway and tour is that the Horace compliments the Dolly but doesnt overpower. I fear a bigger-name Horace (like Rowan Atkinson or Stephen Fry or Bill Nighy) could throw off the balance. Needs Douglas Hodge or (to go slightly more notable) Simon Russell Beale or Robert Lindsay.

Posted by DAME 2019-01-10 17:33:14

MEH! I hope this isn’t true. I was hoping on a trip to London to see Bette again.

Posted by Gizmo6 2019-01-10 17:50:19

I actually would return for Bernie. I didn't like Bette but I have the feeling that Murphy was probably the best Dolly. 

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2019-01-10 18:06:28

Wonder if David Hyde Pierce and the other two men are still rumored for the production as well.

Posted by Bette's Turban 2019-01-10 20:54:02

This really didn’t make any money without Bette. And Bernadette was “MEH”.

Posted by NOWaWarning 2019-01-10 21:23:24

Elaine Paige would be SO exciting!

Posted by GeorgeandDot 2019-01-11 00:15:15

Bernadette was wonderful. Very far from "meh." Has she ever performed a musical in London? Would this be her West End debut?

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-11 02:50:54

I thought Bette was ok until Bernadette replaced her. Then she quickly became MEH. But I realise audiences have different reactions. Now theyre saying that Bernadette will be Bettes alternate, which to me makes more financial sense. I hope we hear something soon to put an end to this madness of speculation and rumour.

Posted by Dollypop 2019-01-11 10:27:06

Who the hell cares? This is another chance to see DOLLY!

Posted by DAME 2019-01-11 10:44:44

The Bette VS Bernadette VS Donna VS Betty thing is MEH.. I hope the rumors of Bette doing a broadway concert engagement are true . Bernadette has two concerts in California this week. I hope she has changed the patter of her show a bit .  And I hope Betty has finally settled into the role on tour and isn’t as bland as she has been.

Posted by kofler22 2019-01-11 11:00:57

And what about Patti? She´s a big name there! 

Posted by haterobics 2019-01-11 11:02:09

DAME said: "The Bette VS Bernadette VS Donna VS Betty thing is MEH."

And played out.

Posted by Papi2013 2019-01-11 11:36:49

Bette in Dolly would be the same sensation in the west end as it was on Broadway.  Without her it would be a beautiful production of a old show .  A non event.  I enjoyed Bernadette when I saw her.  But it was a big "so what".  Elaine Paige would be a bigger draw.   I also hoped Buckley would have found some joy in the role by now.  But I just read a scathing review from the Arizona stop.  I am still hoping its Bette and I am still hoping this beautiful production gets captured for a world wide audience. 

Posted by devonian.t 2019-01-11 12:05:31

Elaine Paige, I believe, would not have the stamina for Dolly now.

Also, she couldn't save Drowsy Chaperone.  It has to be Bette.

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-11 16:00:12

In some ways I hope it isn't Bernadette because I don't want her performance to be cheapened with the risk of a less than perfect supporting cast. Plus perfection has already happened and history has already been made. If Bette wants to walk down those stairs yet again feel free. It's almost becoming a commodity now. And you can listen to her give the same performance on the cast recording (I find it so odd that people criticise the recording - if anything her vocal performance was stronger here than in the theatre). 

But the woman who is basically Broadway's biggest star, Sondheim's most frequent interpreter - who already had a connection to the Dolly creatives through working almost 50 years earlier with them in "Mack and Mabel", walked down that red stair case and was truly back where she belonged on Broadway. 

One where theatre perhaps came a little close to reality

I know you don’t like to talk much about your personal life, but would you say that being a widow yourself affected what you could bring to the role?

I would say it was something I could connect to.

Wave your little hand and whisper so long dearie
You ain't gonna see me anymore
And when you discover that your life is dreary
Don't you come knockin' at my door

Posted by DAME 2019-01-11 18:06:24

qolbinau said: "I
But the woman who is basically Broadway's biggest star, Sondheim's most frequent interpreter- who already had a connection to the Dolly creatives through workingalmost 50 years earlier with them in "Mack and Mabel", walked down that red stair case and was truly back where she belonged on Broadway."

I am glad it was so special to you.   Bette was special to me.    We are so lucky.   Maybe they will follow each other in the London run the same as they did on broadway?  I am just remembering all the fuzz about Queen Latifah etc.. and how none of that came to be.   Someone is bored and starts a rumor on twitter and we are all feklempt with anticipation. 

Posted by GiantsInTheSky2 2019-01-11 20:42:53

I hope the rumored London production doesnt include Bette, and thats not just because I didnt enjoy her performance.

I think Bette, Donna and Bernadette are considered Broadway royalty in a sense, and that the Palladium/Dominion run should have a West End star. No reason to keep bringing Bette out as if shes THE Dolly Levi. They did that with Carole Channing, but with great reason. Let someone else have a chance at the role.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-11 21:11:40

What do you mean Keep bring Bette out? Shes done one production of the show and it was one of the biggest events broadway had seen in years.

Posted by DAME 2019-01-11 21:49:39

Jordan Catalano said: "What do you mean Keep bring Bette out? Shes done one production of the show and it was one of the biggest events broadway had seen in years."

Yeah.. I don't get that comment either.  She has only done this one production.  And the only reason this production exists is because of her. 

Posted by Plannietink08 2019-01-12 08:15:54

I think Bette, Donna and Bernadette are considered Broadway royalty in a sense, and that the Palladium/Dominion run should have a West End star. No reason to keep bringing Bette out as if shes THE Dolly Levi. They did that with Carole Channing, but with great reason. Let someone else have a chance at the role."

I disagree. Donna and Bernadette would struggle to sell a show in the UK but Bette is a huge star here. She's definitely not considered 'Broadway Royalty' here and I doubt the general public even know she started out in musicals.Bette would absolutely be a huge box office draw. If someone like Elaine Paige performed during the matinees that would be another huge draw to those of us who know who she is.

Posted by scampsweep 2019-01-12 09:19:59

The combination of Bette and Elaine Paige would be a great one in London. I doubt, however, that Elaine would agree to be the alternate, no matter what spin is put on the arrangement.

Posted by Plannietink08 2019-01-12 09:51:10

scampsweep said: "The combination of Bette and Elaine Paige would be a great one in London. I doubt, however, that Elaine would agree to be the alternate, no matter what spin is put on the arrangement."

Under normal circumstances I think she would laugh at the idea but given how well received Donna's turn as the alternate was do you not think Elaine would reconsider it? 

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2019-01-12 10:49:00

I seem to remember Elaine Paige saying she's done playing lead roles. And aside from a panto last year, she hasn't done theatre since Follies. I think Elaine Paige in London means a lot more than Donna Murphy on Broadway, though, so I would sort of question her doing Dolly under Bette's marquee.

(That is, if Bette is even doing it London, and the most recent rumor says otherwise.)

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-12 11:21:52

Who knows yet if theres any truth to this but dont forget that Bette also said she had no interest in leading a musical before she was offered this show. So I take any actor who says theyll never do something, with a grain of salt until the offer actually comes to them.

Posted by GiantsInTheSky2 2019-01-12 12:02:35

Jordan Catalano said: "What do you mean Keep bring Bette out? Shes done one production of the show and it was one of the biggest events broadway had seen in years. "

Yes, one production that she had two runs in. If she does London, it will be her third time playing Dolly Levi. Special things like this start to lose excitement after a while - for example, Sara Bareilles doing her third run in Waitress now.

I’m also just tired of theater in general recycling actors so often when there’s plenty of talent to go around. You can’t tell me that there are no West End actors who could do Dolly justice AND be a hot ticket.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-12 12:08:40

Oh ok thanks for clarifying. Makes even less sense now.

Posted by Princeton2 2019-01-12 13:23:25

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "What do you mean Keep bring Bette out? Shes done one production of the show and it was one of the biggest events broadway had seen in years. "

Yes, one production that she had two runs in. If she does London, it will be her third time playing Dolly Levi.Special things like this start to lose excitement after a while - for example, Sara Bareilles doing her third run in Waitress now.

I’m also just tired of theater in general recycling actors so often when there’s plenty of talent to go around. You can’t tell me that there are no West End actors who could do Dolly justice AND be a hot ticket.
"

There aren't. The West End has no leading ladies (or men really) that can guarantee a sell out. Especially in one of the biggest west end theatres. Even Elaine Paige couldn't sell The Drowsy Chaperone for three months in a much much smaller theatre. She wouldn't draw people to Dolly.  Youd need an a-list name. The closest we have is Michael Ball can sell a show in a medium theatre pretty well. 

Also like all actors and singers, Bette will have an ego. Doing Dolly in the West End will give prestige that she's done Broadway and London and a high chance of more awards. It's not always about money.

Posted by haterobics 2019-01-12 14:55:12

I've heard that Bette just plays Bette, but Elaine plays Dolly.

Posted by scampsweep 2019-01-12 14:56:16

To be honest, I doubt Elaine wants to do it anymore. I can see it would be a tempting offer for her (2 shows per week in a high-profile lead role like this - when is an offer like that likely to come up again?) but I still doubt she would play second fiddle to Bette. I’d love to see her do it though and Bette and Elaine are quite good friends, I think.

Posted by haterobics 2019-01-12 14:58:52

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "If she does London, it will be her third time playing Dolly Levi.Special things like this start to lose excitement after a while"

Well, it's a whole different thing. I mean, I was excited when she did it on Broadway, but I'm not going to fly to London to see it again. Presumably, there were a lot of people in London who also didn't fly to NYC who would be just as thrilled with her coming there. It doesn't have to excite the same people for it to be exciting.

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-12 19:03:37

haterobics said: "GiantsInTheSky2 said: "If she does London, it will be her third time playing Dolly Levi.Special things like this start to lose excitement after a while"

Well, it's a whole different thing. I mean, I was excited when she did it on Broadway, but I'm not going to fly to London to see it again. Presumably, there were a lot of people in London who also didn't fly to NYC who would be just as thrilled with her coming there. It doesn't have to excite the same people for it to be exciting.
"

It’s true. 

Posted by BWAY Baby2 2019-01-12 19:25:33

Bette in Dolly on Broadway was an event- then she came back to do it again for a few weeks- and to make a big payday as well. I bet the farm she will not pick up and move to London to do 7 performance a week at a pay cut-and London would not be able to charge the outrageous prices BWAY did. Not gonna happen, IMO. 

Posted by DAME 2019-01-12 20:45:47

BWAY Baby2 said: "Bette in Dolly on Broadway was an event- then she came back to do it again for a few weeks- and to make a big payday as well. I bet the farm she will not pick up and move to London to do 7 performance a week at a pay cut-and London would not be able to charge the outrageous prices BWAY did. Not gonna happen, IMO."

What makes you think there would be a pay cut?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-12 20:50:35

This is such a weird thread.

Posted by DAME 2019-01-12 20:54:34

Jordan Catalano said: "This is such a weird thread."

It is.  People are delusional and just pulling things out of their a*s.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-12 22:02:41

Heres what Ive learned in this thread so far.

-Bette Midler has played Dolly way too many times and its time for someone else to do it.

-Bette would never play London due to her high salary demands and its a known fact that a London transfer will not pay her what she wants.

-The West End doesnt need a star for a show to be a hit.

-Bernadette and Donna arent stars so the show wouldnt be a hit.

Posted by Miles2Go2 2019-01-12 22:11:55

DAME said: "People are delusional and just pulling things out of their a*s."

Maybe they could make a West End show out of that. 

Posted by JBradshaw 2019-01-13 00:30:45

first ill say i love me some elaine.

is elaine really the reason drowsy didnt run long in london? many hits from broadway flop in the uk.

another lady i love more than elaine is ruthie henshall i could see her agreeing to be an alternate west end dolly.

If this uk happens i also wouldnt mind joanna riding, densie van boobies i mean outen (sorry her roxie press pics van boobies became a nickname), linzi hateley as a one day a week dolly.

damn blackish id love me some bette w jenifer lewis doing one a week. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3D_LY2bBMzo

Posted by Plannietink08 2019-01-13 05:08:42

If this uk happens i also wouldnt mind joanna riding, densie van boobies i mean outen (sorry her roxie press pics van boobies became a nickname), linzi hateley as a one day a week dolly.

Ruthie would be a decent Dolly. I can't picture Linzi in the role but I love her so much I'd see her do it anyway. Joanna Riding would be great also but Denise Van Outing!? Jesus wept. Why not just set fire to the theatre? 

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2019-01-13 11:02:32

I dont think the drowsy chaperone comparison is a bit fair. Drowsy is not a known title. I dont think anyone would be able to sell that one, but Dolly is a bit more famous, and if its true that its even bigger in the UK than over here then maybe Elaine Paige COULD sell it. Also, again, if its true King and I sold out without big stars, then why cant Dolly? Bernadette would be an interesting choice. Has she ever played the west end before? Im not sure why Rudin would want to bring over a broadway actress, when using a west end star might be cheaper. How about someone like Imelda Staunton?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2019-01-13 11:22:55

Why on earth would anyone want to see Imelda as Dolly? Can you just imagine her Dolly screaming non stop at everyone for 3 hours?

I love her in films but if she never ruins another iconic stage role, Ill be more than happy.

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2019-01-13 21:44:38

Jordan, seeing Imelda live is so different from seeing her in a film version. Her Ms Lovett was thrilling on stage , seeing it filmed lost some of that magic 

Posted by Dollypop 2019-01-13 22:08:57

....and no one has mentioned ME as Dolly.

Posted by poisonivy2 2019-01-13 22:34:19

Doesn't Bette Midler not like to be away from her family for long periods of time? I thought that was why she hasn't had a major tour since 2015. Doubtful she'd be willing to live in London for an extended period of time to do a show.

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-14 03:53:58

rosscoe(au) said: "Jordan, seeing Imelda live is so different fromseeing her in a film version. Her Ms Lovett was thrilling on stage , seeing it filmed lost some of that magic"

Are you referring to Gypsy? I don't believe her Mrs Lovett is filmed. 

Posted by lotiloti 2019-01-14 08:42:54

You lot are so funny. No wonder this board is dying!

Posted by GiantsInTheSky2 2019-01-14 14:07:03

Bernadette has announced a few UK tour dates for mid June...maybe she could be leading a London production this year?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Bernadette-Peters-Announces-Concert-Dates-in-Vancouver-Hawaii-London-and-More-20190114

Posted by zainmax 2019-01-14 14:26:04

poisonivy2 said: "Doesn't Bette Midler not like to be away from her family for long periods of time? I thought that was why she hasn't had a major tour since 2015. Doubtful she'd be willing to live in London for an extended period of time to do a show."

I was thinking the SAME thing!

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-14 16:28:39

Bernadette Peters just announced new concert dates. And get this, her last concerts are in June 2019 in the UK! Could these be vocal warmups for the rumoured summer mounting of Hello, Dolly!?

Posted by Mike Barrett 2019-01-14 16:30:49

Seems to lineup perfectly doesn't it...

Omg if we get a recording though!!!

Posted by haterobics 2019-01-14 16:33:48

Mike Barrett said: "Seems to lineup perfectly doesn't it..."

That she'll be in the same country in the same year?

Posted by Mike Barrett 2019-01-14 16:37:46

haterobics said: "Mike Barrett said: "Seems to lineup perfectly doesn't it..."

That she'll be in the same country in the same year?
"

And around the time she'd need to start rehearsals for a summer run... 

Posted by DAME 2019-01-14 19:39:03

poisonivy2 said: "Doesn't Bette Midler not like to be away from her family for long periods of time? I thought that was why she hasn't had a major tour since 2015. Doubtful she'd be willing to live in London for an extended period of time to do a show."

Well..I don't know if you are referring to a particular article or what.  But her immediate family is just her and her husband.  Her daughter is working on a film for most of this year.  And Bette has always travelled a lot.  And she loves being on the road...   

Posted by qolbinau 2019-01-18 05:39:11

The latest info from someone who is apparently a reliable source is there is no Bette. There is no Bernadette. There is no Dolly. It isnt happening.

Damn.

Posted by BWAY Baby2 2019-01-18 06:40:34

Doesn't surprise me- No shows- London- for Bette doing Dolly- I was surprised that the show did not last longer on Broadway.  It is a very expensive production- and has no legs without Bette- or that is apparently what the producers thought or it would still be running. I can't put my finger on why it is not a huge draw- any more than I can say why The Producers did not run ten years with all of its Tonys and rapturous reviews- it just happens sometimes. Dolly- like The Producers- needs a certain cast to draw huge audiences and prices. Strange but true. 

Posted by Wick3 2019-01-18 08:16:55

I think the producers did ask other actresses who they thought could bring in $$$ and people to the Shubert theater to prolong the run but either the producers didn't offer them enough money or they kindly turned down the offer due to scheduling conflicts.