Printer Friendly - BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S to Open on Broadway 2/2013 Starring GAME OF THRONE'S Emilia Clarke

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S to Open on Broadway 2/2013 Starring GAME OF THRONE'S Emilia Clarke
Posted by Rob 2012-10-10 11:13:18

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S to Open on Broadway 2/2013 Starring GAME OF THRONE'S Emilia Clarke
Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-10-10 11:20:45

So not the same play as the one starring Anna Friel from 2009?

Posted by newintown 2012-10-10 11:29:57

They just keep trying to wring more and more dollars out of this, don't they?

Posted by peachesr82 2012-10-10 11:33:59

Interesting, Emilia is crazy talented and a rising star so it should be interesting.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-10-10 11:36:53

Oh boy! I hope it comes with all the racism.

Posted by WOSQ 2012-10-10 11:50:58

My immediate reaction was "Who's doing the musical numbers?"

Then I remembered that Holly is a fictionalized Tru himself and I wondered, "Who would play Holly?" and thought, "Chris Colfer would be terrific."

Posted by DeNada 2012-10-10 11:53:05

frogs_fan, yes, this is the same version that played in the West End to poor reviews. Same director and producer, but different set designer (Derek Mclane replaces Anthony Ward). I didn't see it but I don't think the stereotypical Japanese gentleman is in it - it's based on the novel, not the film, if that makes any difference.

Interesting that Anna Friel isn't returning to Broadway with it; she was generally seen as being the best thing about the West End production, but I suppose she may not want to revisit the experience.

Posted by bdn223 2012-10-10 13:36:21

so is this supposed to take over the the Broadhurst come February?

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2012-10-10 14:04:46

Awful movie, so guessing the stage show will be as boring as bat ****

Posted by Phantom of London 2012-10-10 14:30:25

I would of though the Broadhurst would be a tad too big for this, I would of thought it would take something like the Lyceum or Booth, I would think the Shuberts would hold out for something bigger for the Broadhurst, as long as it isn't being presented by Ben Sprecher.

Posted by Scripps2 2012-10-10 15:31:18

"Same director and producer, but different set designer"

As though the biggest problem with the West End production was the set!

"I suppose she may not want to revisit the experience"

Nor would I.

Posted by ACL2006 2012-10-10 16:21:37

potential tenant for the Broadhurst?? Lyceum??

Posted by Quiche2 2012-10-10 16:56:16

I smell a trainwreck.

Posted by Kad 2012-10-10 17:00:53

Am I the only one who enjoys the novella?

Posted by Wilmingtom 2012-10-10 17:09:07

This is a new adaptation by Richard Greenberg, not the West End version with Friel.

@newintown: a movie and a felled Bway musical. The $$$ just keeps rolling in from this property, doesn't it?

Posted by DeNada 2012-10-10 18:03:32

Oh, thanks Wilmingtom! How odd. Clearly Colin Ingram (producer on this - also lead producer on GHOST) must have retained rights to the novella, and jettisoned the last script and creative team except for Sean Mathias for this new version.

I still reserve judgement based on the poor reception of Mathias and Ingram's last go at this.

Posted by Wilmingtom 2012-10-10 18:18:09

I agree, DeNada, I'm skeptical as well. But I'd love to think it could work. I find the novella very charming and I think those characters could live on the stage.

Posted by GavestonPS 2012-10-10 18:43:14

Am I the only one who enjoys the novella?

No, Kad, I think it's brilliant. I haven't seen the film or any stage adaptation, but Capote's original is a gem. Probably his best work after IN COLD BLOOD.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-10 20:09:10

I *love* the novella, as well. Kad, you're certainly far from alone, though--I think it's quite beloved even if the movie has overshawdowed it. (I like the movie too--Rooney aside, but it's quite different, and I'm shocked Gaveston has never seen it :P ).

Is this adaptation based on the movie (as the musical seemed to be) or does it return to the novella?

At any rate, I think it and Other Voices, Other Rooms are Capote's best fiction, by far, and my fave of his writing in general as great as his essays and non fiction could be. (The three side stories collected in my copy of Tiffany's are nowhere as strong IMHO--including House of Flowers which of course he musicalized).

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-10 20:10:12

We've often talked about movies made into musicals, but have there been any notable movies made into plays? I can think of flops like On the Waterfront or shows not much liked but that had decent runs (or tours) like The Graduate, but...

Posted by canmark 2012-10-10 22:41:37

The article says the play is based on the novella, which is a good place to start.

Although Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard were lovely, and looked lovely, in the movie--it was otherwise a bastardization of the book (never mind, Mr. Yunioshi).

Going back to the novel--which I love, as do many--is a good thing. I really like Capote's writing (Handcarved Coffins, for example) and perhaps the play will revive interest in the actual book. Breakfast at Tiffany's seems... somewhat suited to the stage. Holly Golightly, though, is probably best imagined in the mind, however. She's an elusive character, real and yet not quite real.

Someone above said that Holly was based on Capote, but wasn't it Fred that was Truman's stand in? Fred, who was gay, and who had great affection for her (but no romantic interest in her).

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-11 03:12:39

Richard Greenberg actually could be a great choice for an adaptation of the novella... I'm kinda intrigued now. (though the release on BWW doesn't seem to realize that Fred in the novella is, well, gay... Oh well).

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-10-11 09:12:11

I utterly ADORE the novella and would love to see a solid adaptation of that (set during the war, Fred is gay, Hollie is blonde, etc etc). I think it could do very well if all the pieces work together and it's accepted as a play and not an adaptation "of the movie."

OR go the exact opposite route and base the play on the screenplay and quite literally put the movie up on stage since that's what most audience members are going to expect anyway. Give them a Natalie Portman or Zooey Dechannel type up on stage giving them Audrey.

Personally, I'd rather see the former, but something tells me word of mouth among the tourist-y types, no matter how well done the adaptation is, will complain it's not the movie.

Posted by GavestonPS 2012-10-11 10:02:07

I'm shocked Gaveston has never seen it ....

Contrary to what you think, Eric, I wasn't going to the movies in 1961. The truth is I like the novella so much, I've never been in a rush to see Hollywood turn it into a heterosexual love story. Isn't that what the film does?

Posted by Kad 2012-10-11 10:51:05

Yup. Featuring Mickey Rooney in yellow face.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-10-11 11:30:04

Kad, the story is great. And the movie, in spite of it being almost unrecognizable, and Yunioshi is horrid, holds up. Peppard is excellent. Hepburn is so wrong and yet so very right. I'd love to see the novella filmed, but am not quite convinced it is made for the stage. Clarke is what makes this exciting.

Posted by Roscoe 2012-10-11 11:33:07

Were there no American actresses who could have been cast in the role? Sorry to get kind of xenophobic here, but...

Posted by mallardo 2012-10-11 11:36:27

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the nudity which was pretty much the raison d'etre for the Anna Friel London production. Since Emelia Clarke did some notable nude scenes on Game of Thrones (first season) there would seem to be a connection here.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-10-11 11:36:37

I think it would be very theatrical if it was treated as a mood/memory play like The Glass Menagerie with Fred acting as a Tom type narrator/character with the Holly scenes treated almost as vignettes. There's no hard plot to the novella so one shouldn't be forced.

I always felt the movie's heterosexual happy ending was a tacked on reshoot, even though I know it wasn't. Despite him being definitely straight (or at least was straight enough to get paid to sleep with Patricia ONeal), Paul and Holly are platonic and not at all flirtatious right up until that random kiss in the rain moment.

Posted by darion 2012-10-11 11:38:34

Truman hated audrey for the role, wanted Marilyn Monroe... in any event, its a timeless story, looking forward to it.

Posted by followspot 2012-10-11 12:24:18

>Then I remembered that Holly is a fictionalized Tru himself

nope. fred = tru

>this is the same version that played in the West End to poor reviews

nope. this is an entirely different adaptation by an entirely different playwright

next?

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-11 13:51:00

"Contrary to what you think, Eric, I wasn't going to the movies in 1961. The truth is I like the novella so much, I've never been in a rush to see Hollywood turn it into a heterosexual love story. Isn't that what the film does?"

:P Actually it's more the fact that it does come up on TV a lot, and I know you watch TCM, etc... I just expected at some point you would have stumbled upon it.

I largely love the movie (Rooney aside), but it actually has very little to do with the novella at all, IMHO. I can happily think of them as completely different creatures (or largely different--it's not brilliant like Cabaret the movie, but it is similar to how I think of Cabaret on stage and screen--or even Cabaret as based on Berlin Stories which is fitting since Capote was obviously inspired by Isherwood).

If Greenberg's play genuinely is faithful to the novella (and I like the idea suggested of a memory play), I wonder if there could be some issue with people expecting the movie--something the marketing team surely will play up.

Posted by Mister Matt 2012-10-11 15:44:11

The only thing that interests me in this project is Greenberg's involvement.

Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-11 17:39:10

I agree, though I'm also intrigued by Clarke. Greenberg's voice should suit the material well, and at least gives it some level of interest.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-10-11 18:11:30

Who wouldn't have wanted Monroe for Holly? Reading the book it's very clear that this was a role she was meant to play.

One thing I love about Clarke for the role is that she like Monroe is zaftig. She's beautiful on Game of Thrones but hats off to her for being a sex symbol who is not starving herself. A fleshy, adult, woman. And a great actress!