Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for poisonivy2

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
Member Name: poisonivy2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What Are Great Musical Roles That Don’t Sing Much  Jul 14 2020, 01:22:46 PM

Professor Higgins in MFL doesn't really sing. Does some sing-speaking but no actual singing.

Naya Rivera presumed dead  Jul 10 2020, 06:11:56 PM

This actually sounds like a pretty classic suicide to me. But I could be wrong. Really tragic. Her poor son.

What Are The Greatest Casts You’ve Ever Seen?  Jul 9 2020, 04:39:51 PM

Plays:

Three Tall Women

Slave Play

Musicals: (OBC's)

Hadestown

The Great Comet of 1812

Dear Evan Hansen

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 9 2020, 03:07:34 PM

This one is a real head-scratcher:

Production job descriptions must use language that is free of unconscious bias, such as “years of experience” requirements for production staff. !

Production job descriptions must not have education requirements, which, by implying that coming from a certain degree or institution you are somehow more qualified than someone else, create a barrier to the hiring of BIPOC production staff.

Huh?

Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 8 2020, 04:27:38 PM

The cast of Oklahoma! was pretty great. I loved Gloria Grahame as Ado Annie.

Ben Platt Wants to Return to Broadway  Jul 8 2020, 04:18:05 PM

CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "Depends on which director is working with Leo. Quentin Tarantino has used him in a lot of comic situations both in Django Unchained and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

But a lot of B'way actors have a pretty consistent persona onstage too. For instance Patti Lupone is always Patti Lupone.
"

True. Very few actors truly disappear into their roles.

Regardless, I thought Ben was miraculous in DEH, and I

Ben Platt Wants to Return to Broadway  Jul 8 2020, 03:55:29 PM

Depends on which director is working with Leo. Quentin Tarantino has used him in a lot of comic situations both in Django Unchained and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

But a lot of B'way actors have a pretty consistent persona onstage too. For instance Patti Lupone is always Patti Lupone.

Ben Platt Wants to Return to Broadway  Jul 8 2020, 03:21:37 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "CT2NYC said: "A lot of actors have madevery successful careers out of basically playing themselves: Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, Sally Field, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson. Julia Roberts, Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, Harrison Ford, George Clooney, Ryan Reynolds, Chris Pratt, and the list goes on. Most peopledon't like them fortheir range, but because there's a familia

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 09:12:32 PM

Jesus. This is why we can't have nice things. People were looking forward to this Hamilton film forever and now that it's here and it's awesome people just have to find a reason to be outraged.

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 06:46:39 PM

Ok ... there's been countess times when I;'ve walked into a show and seen a swing in the show because an ensemble member is out. Even more times when a lead is out and the understudy is on. Audience members mostly suck it up (if it;s like a super duper star then I suppose you can get a refund). This is no different -- this Hamilton was a film of a live show. It had the ensemble that was still with the show at the time filmed along with all of the original leads. 

Moreover

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 6 2020, 03:08:09 PM

IDGI. She wasn't happy doing the show and left on her own accord. She's getting residual royalties that the OBC gets. She doesn't get the film royalties because she had departed the show by the time of the film. Did she expect that they'd ask her back for the film? 

ETA: she's been posting lots of shots of Hamilton and seems excited and happy about the film.

RIP Nick Cordero  Jul 5 2020, 09:30:48 PM
So heartbreaking. Prayers for his family and friends.;(

Hamilton film awards - Will it happen? Should it?  Jul 5 2020, 02:05:11 PM

If it won't be eligible for an OScar I could see it getting a Golden Globe nomination for Best Musical/Comedy. I mean, it's the Hollywood Foreign Press.

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 5 2020, 01:02:30 PM

From what I understood they filmed it with Leslie. He just didn't want to sign the release for it until some financial negotiations happened. 

This is similar to Cesare Siepi (a Met star bass) who wouldn't sign the release for many Met broadcasts being replayed over SIrius XM. He and the Met had a falling out years ago. When he passed away his children finally allowed Siepi broadcasts to be on the air again.

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 4 2020, 10:47:29 PM

I've watched Daveed Diggs happy dancing through "The Reynolds Pamphlet" like 10 times now. I laugh every time.

4th of July poll: Favorite American History Theater That's NOT Hamilton?  Jul 4 2020, 09:59:06 PM

Does South Pacific count?

Hamilton Movie Reviews  Jul 4 2020, 12:22:04 PM

There's this review/op-ed from National Review:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/07/review-hamilton-lin-manuel-miranda-monument-political-egotism/

Uh, don;t know what to say about this review except I disagree 100%.

West Side Story (1961)  Jul 4 2020, 11:25:59 AM

The 1961 movie is great except that Richard Beymer is a huge misfire as Tony. He and Natalie Wood had anti-chemistry.

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 4 2020, 01:06:57 AM

Daveed Diggs is an automatic scene-stealer. Every time he speaks, I forget everyone else onstage. He's so funny and sharp. Not sure anyone could ever replace his impeccable timing and humor.

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 3 2020, 10:49:45 PM

CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "If Hamilton wins any Oscars that means LMM gets his EGOT right?"

Only if it wins Best Picture, or he wins Best Actor.
"

Couldn't it get nominations for Score and Song? And then LMM would win an EGOT if he won those.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.