Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for noradesmond

noradesmond Profile Photo
Member Name: noradesmond
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Your First Broadway Musical Recording  Oct 21 2020, 06:16:15 PM

Highland Guy said: "In the 1960's, as a young teenager, I bought my first 33 1/3 rpm record of a Broadway musical.....the movie version of "The Music Man" with Shirley Jones and Robert Preston. I still listen to that recording on my MP3 player, and enjoy it every bit as much as I did more than half a century ago.

What Broadway musical recording (in any format) was the first that you owned, and why did you choose that musical?
"

A high school p

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Oct 5 2020, 06:25:09 PM

Wayman_Wong said: "''Zachary Levi was wrong for Harold but in all fairness, Leonard Frey in the original is hard to compete with. Z Levi didn't seem to know where to go and would sometimes just do a poor imitation of the original,''

Speaking of ''wrong'' actors, Zachary Levi isn't in ''The Boys in the Band.''

The actor playing Harold in the Netflix film is Zachary Quinto.
"

Yes I confuse

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Oct 3 2020, 09:56:30 PM

My friends and I, all underage, went to see the original film numerous times when it was first released. It was like a right of passage and of course, we absorbed the language, the cuts, the zingers. Similar to South Park Bigger Longer Uncut when they go see the Terrance & Phillip movie, we were obsessed. So I have that William Friedkin directed film with the original cast indelibly planted in my mind. I approached this remake with cautious optimism and some of it I liked; much

Showtunes that evoke nostalgia and maybe a little regret?  Sep 25 2020, 03:55:13 PM

‘Song On The Sand’ Les Cage Aux Folles

’Hello, Young Lovers’ The King & I

’Edelweiss’ The Sound of Music

plus all the previously mentioned.

If one musical survives 200 years from now  Sep 3 2020, 02:52:45 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Curious what your thoughts are. With opera or very very early theatre works having only one or a small handful. Surviving as references in modern times. What is the one theatre piece In the last 100 years you would hope That would remain in culture ( like a magic flute, king oedipus, Carmen...).

I would hope its Phantom
"

Phantom, perhaps. It’s impossible to predict the taste of audiences in the future but I think shows too relia

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 22 2020, 03:33:18 PM

little_sally said: "I feel like Encores is the only place I'll ever see Red Head or Take Me Along."

Take Me Along was one of the first shows I saw many many years ago in summer stock with Forrest Tucker in the Gleason role. I drove my mother crazy until we could find the OBC recording and played it constantly. Even now, all these decades later, some of those songs pop in my head for no reason. It's a funny, lovely show and score that w

Aug 10 2020, 07:33:26 PM

They DID record it. It's available for digital download on iTunes.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/kurt-vonneguts-god-bless-you-mr-rosewater-premiere/1256577240

Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 2 2020, 04:14:00 PM

Stage Door Sally said: "I love the cast of The Music Man — Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, leads andalsosome great supports, Hermione Gingold, Paul Ford, Buddy Hackett, Pert Kelton and Ron Howard.

ETA: And the Buffalo Bills barbershop quartet.
"

Oh, man, do I agree!! I think Shirley Jones was the weakest, although I love her and can't think of who else could have done it well. Hermione Gingold and Paul Ford are both hilarious and really set the gol

Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 2 2020, 04:08:34 PM

trentsketch said: "How are we defining best? For example, the cast of Oliver! doesn't feature many big names for film (if any), but the cast is so strong in these roles. The film works because the huge ensemble cast seemingly has just the right actor in every part.The spectacle of the huge production numbers doesn't overshadow the quality of acting, dancing, and singing onscreen."

Ron Moody as Fagin is absolutely one of my personal favorite performances in a

re: re: re: re: re: Ann Miller Stories?  Jun 29 2020, 07:40:06 PM

MAME'S NAME?  Jun 16 2020, 04:45:00 PM

Rita Hayworth sang "Put The Blame on Mame" in GILDA (1946).

Rosie/Gaga lead Funny Girl to reopen the Palace!  Jun 10 2020, 05:23:13 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Dollypop said: "The real Fanny Brice didn't wear exotic makeup or long fingernails"

But, she would have if she lived in the 1960s. heart

"

I'm trying to find where I read it, possibly a quote from her daughter Frances, that offstage Fa

Examples of shows that turned it around  Jun 5 2020, 04:10:26 PM

Charley Kringas Inc said: "It's funny that "You May Take Me To The Fair" wasn't actually in the show because that's by far my favorite song on the album."

They recorded the OBC before opening night then continued to tinker with the show for weeks afterward.  "Take Me to the Fair" and "Fie on Goodness" were both cut, I believe.

Examples of shows that turned it around  Jun 5 2020, 04:06:35 PM

GavestonPS said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Jarethan said: "I don't know the details -- I am sure Dollypop could write a book -- but I remember reading multiple times over the past 5 decades that Hello Dolly was not well reviewedwhen it ran in Detroit; apparently, gossip was that David Merrick had a big flop on his hands. I have read that they brought in (I think it was) Bob Merrillto write a song or two. Also, one of the two or three greatest production numbers, the t

There is a decent show in there somewhere?  Apr 28 2020, 09:37:50 PM

GavestonPS said: "bwayobsessed said: "I feel like I’m going to get hate for this but: Camelot. I think there’s an interesting core story and some good songs. But at this point feels dated and meandering. I think if it got a modern (feminist) revamping it could be quite good."

No hate from me. I saw a semi-pro production recently and the piece really suffers from the apparent attempt to reproduce MY FAIR LADY. Pellinore contributes nothing to

I DO! I DO! (1982 TV Movie - Lee Remick & Hal Linden)  Apr 24 2020, 07:16:42 PM

Demitri2 said: "IIRC, I viewed this show on a pay station like Showtime or HBO back in the eighties (much like HBO's CAMELOT with Richard Harris). Although I enjoyed Lee Remick as an actress playing Agnes was way beyond her talents. Her "Flaming Agnes" was embarrassing to watch. Hal Linden was fine though. I agree it sounds like fun but I wouldn't go out of my to see it."

I don't remember this TV movie of I DO, I DO, sadly, so can't comment

How Angela Lansbury got  Jan 9 2020, 11:38:23 PM

I saw Ginger Rogers in MAME sometime in the late 60s / early 70s in a summer stock theater inn the round production. Audrey Christie was Vera. Production was wonderful. Our seats were very close to the stage and Rogers looked gorgeous and was terrific in the role.

Broadway on "Great Performances"  Oct 29 2019, 08:13:02 PM

Dollypop said: "I was able to watch THE KING AND I in its entirety on YouTube before it was taken down. It was splendid."

I saw it as well and YES it was! Everyone was excellent but Ruthie Ann Miles was sublime.  She breathed such life into Lady Thiang.

What was the first cast recording digitally recorded and released on CD?  Aug 29 2019, 05:35:02 PM

On Your Toes was the first digitally recorded, not converted analog, Cast Album I think. It was the first in my collection, anyway, and I was an early tech adopter in those days.

Laura Benanti to replace Lauren Ambrose in MY FAIR LADY  Jun 8 2019, 04:26:44 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "Did they just have Laura record over Laurens tracks? Or did they get the whole cast to record with Laura again? I’m curious why they stuck with Jordan and didn’t utilize Christian"

I was curious as well. Only had one quick listen, and as Pose 2 said, it is glorious. 'Wouldn't It Be Loverly' sounds like a different men's chorus but Jordan Danica on 'Show Me' seems odd since he is long gone from the sho

You must log in to view off-topic posts.