Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for ljay889

ljay889 Profile Photo
Member Name: ljay889
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I love Sondheim

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Antonio Banderas set to direct and star in Company  Oct 24 2020, 06:09:02 PM

SisterGeorge said: "ljay889 said: "Antonio actually sounds fantastic..."

Surely you meant to write that he "looks" fantastic (because he really does).But "sounds"? yikes.

I loved him so much in NINE, but time marches on.

"

You do realize people can have two different opinions, right?

Antonio Banderas set to direct and star in Company  Oct 22 2020, 07:30:08 PM

A preview performance of the title number is here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qj2tL6jAdc

Antonio actually sounds fantastic, but my goodness, any time this number is staged with cheesy choreography, it ruins it for me. Thankfully Marianne Elliot uses the 70's styled orchestrations, while staging it without any ridiculous/cheesy choreography. 

Next Sondheim revival?  Sep 21 2020, 10:59:38 AM

blaxx said: "

I would like for Company to actually open first,"

My thoughts exactly. Let's allow Company to actually open before we start planning the next Sondheim revivals. In addition to Company, we still have Assassins at Classic Stage to look forward to. 

Passion  Jul 31 2020, 12:21:09 AM

CATSNYrevival said: "I liked Patti. It was only a concert. I would have liked to have seen what she could have done in a full production with adequate rehearsal time."

Me too!! And to be fair, she was originally offered the role in the original production, but chose to do Sunset instead, something she obviously regrets. Her vocals in the concert is probably the most unmannered I've heard her sing, along with her Lovett in Doyle's Sweeney. 

Why Did Len Cariou and George Hearn Play Sweeney Todd with American Accents?  Jul 18 2020, 09:13:04 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "
George Hearn is the best of both worlds. Sondheim himself is rumored to have preferred Hearn’s performance over Cariou’s.."

Hearn is sooooo over the top on the filmed version, it's almost unbearable at times. Cariou's more brooding interpretation comes off frightening even through a cast recording. 

COMPANY musical (STEPHEN SONDHEIM) 1995 BROADWAY (BOYD GAINES, KATE BURTON, DEBRA MONK, LaCHANZE)  Jul 13 2020, 07:47:21 PM

Hot Pants said: "ljay889 said: "Man, I don't enjoy the cheesy staging/choreography of the titlenumber. The Mendesand Elliotproductions did/doa much better job with the number. Sondheim has told Elliot that her staging of the number is actually how he always envisionedit."

Well know I’m even more interested in seeing Elliot’s version. Is there any footage showing this staging?

I agree that in the wrong hands, that number can com

COMPANY musical (STEPHEN SONDHEIM) 1995 BROADWAY (BOYD GAINES, KATE BURTON, DEBRA MONK, LaCHANZE)  Jul 12 2020, 09:17:49 PM

Man, I don't enjoy the cheesy staging/choreography of the title number. The Mendes and Elliot productions did/do a much better job with the number. Sondheim has told Elliot that her staging of the number is actually how he always envisioned it. 

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 6 2020, 11:24:25 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
but I was never compelled by it or emotionally engaged with it mostly cause it felt so stuffed with quickly passing historical events.."

What about the finale? I agree with some of what you're saying, but the finale always makes me choke up, whether I'm seeing it live or watching the film. It's such a beautiful moment for Eliza. 

RIP Nick Cordero  Jul 5 2020, 10:06:48 PM
Horrific news. RIP.

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 5 2020, 10:48:29 AM
I’ve seen this mentioned on social media, but don’t think its been discussed here. Was Leslie Odom Jr purposely performing with a lisp during the film? It’s not heard on the cast album and he doesn’t regularly talk or sing with one. His performance is amazing, but I’m curious.

Why Are Sondheim’s Books So Expensive?  Jun 29 2020, 09:01:38 PM

TotallyEffed said: "They are fully back in stock, you drama queens lol"

Lol! It was kind of sad seeing them out of stock, but it made me super happy that I have a sealed "Hat Box." 

Question about all the GYPSY revivals  Jun 23 2020, 10:13:46 PM

A Director said: "I just watched Bernadette and Patti sing Rose's Turn. Bernadette was wonderful playing different levels. She was scary. Patti was angry from beginning to end, all on one level. "Stop acting Patti." With Bernadette, I saw a character. With Patti, I saw Patti doing a lot beginning acting crap. She wrestled the song to the mat and left it in a heap."

You’ve been bashing Patti on this board since the day you joined. It sounds like yo

Question about all the GYPSY revivals  Jun 22 2020, 08:30:13 PM

Jarethan said: "ljay889 said: "Jarethan said: "although the performances were collectively above par -- it was basically the same old production. "

LuPone's revival really wasn't the same old production, though. Laurents made several notable changes, enough that he was eligible to be nominated again for a Tony, and he was. He changed Chowsie and the lamb to stuffed animals, he cut the "pretend rape/attack" scene with the hotel

Question about all the GYPSY revivals  Jun 22 2020, 04:49:37 PM

Jarethan said: "  although the performances were collectively above par -- it was basically the same old production. "

LuPone's revival really wasn't the same old production, though. Laurents made several notable changes, enough that he was eligible to be nominated again for a Tony, and he was. He changed Chowsie and the lamb to stuffed animals, he cut the "pretend rape/attack" scene with the hotel manager, he changed Mazeppa's cos

COMPANY opening number for NYT Offstage  Jun 12 2020, 09:46:59 PM

chrishuyen said: "I was surprised at how well done this was instead of just the standard zoom grid that we usually get. I was telling my friend that it almost seems better than the stage version to have all of Bobbie's friends crowding around her like that while she's caught in the middle."

That’s actually how Marianne stages it! They surround Bobbie in her kitchen in a very claustrophobic manner. Sondheim told Marianne that’s always how

COMPANY opening number for NYT Offstage  Jun 12 2020, 01:06:13 AM

https://youtu.be/5S-uyxuZFSw?t=2829

Absolutely delightful!!!

Why Are Sondheim’s Books So Expensive?  May 24 2020, 08:23:59 PM

I have both original copies, but something told me a year or so ago to buy the "Hat Box." I kept it sealed, and I'm glad I did, it's going for a lot of money now.

Sam Mendes Gypsy (2003)  May 19 2020, 01:23:13 PM
I actually believe Patti’s recording/production had a slightly larger orchestra than Bernadette’s, but I agree there is something missing from the recording, but I still enjoy it.

Sam Mendes Gypsy (2003)  May 19 2020, 07:54:25 AM
Laurent’s discusses his feelings on this production in great detail in his “Mainly on Directing” book.

Joanna Riding sings Losing My Mind. Stunning!  May 11 2020, 09:30:26 PM

bear88 said: "ljay889 said: " Unless I misunderstood the musical, the performances in the second half of Follies are a series of fantasy sequences by the main characters that represent their plights but are not literally them."

Yes, you understood it perfectly! Ben breaks the forth wall in "Live, Laugh, Love" having a breakdown, which is pivotal because it takes them out of the sequence and back to reality. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.