Profile for perfectliar

Member Name: perfectliar
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Stacy Keach Performing King Lear Next Thursday, April 23  Apr 23 2020, 02:42:10 PM

This is coming up tonight - looks like Edward Gero was also added to the reading, according to this article from American Theatre.

https://www.americantheatre.org/2020/04/17/vengeance-plague-death-confusion-stacy-keach-ed-gero-join-zoom-lear-reading/

Drama Desk Awards  Apr 22 2020, 09:26:02 AM

JBroadway said: "Cruz is a non-binary actor playing a trans woman. Seems unfortunate and potentiallydisrespectful to put them in the male category. I hope that Cruz was given some choice as to which category they felt most comfortable in, but either way it just goes to show why we need to get rid of gendered categories."

Despite the other nominees being male-identifying, "actor" would be the gender neutral option.

Stacy Keach Performing King Lear Next Thursday, April 23  Apr 16 2020, 09:18:22 PM

Another online benefit reading to add to our schedules.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/amp/c.php?url=Stacy-Keach-To-Star-In-Online-Benefit-Reading-Of-KING-LEAR-April-23-20200416

The Minutes Preview Thread  Feb 28 2020, 11:34:50 AM

Miles2Go2 said: "@VotePeron - Aw, wish I could’ve met you last night!"

So you went? Was it worth the trip in? 

Diana A True Musical Story  Feb 26 2020, 04:58:33 PM

I remember very clearly, though I was very young, the morning Diana died, sitting around the living room as a family while we watched the news and ate breakfast. It was all my mom could talk about for weeks. She's not a royal fanatic by any means, but there was something about Diana she liked and connected with (as I'm sure many 30 and 40 something women did).

I asked if she wanted to see this for Mother's Day, and she hemmed and hawed a little bit because she hates going i

Flying Over Sunset  Feb 24 2020, 11:10:35 AM

yankeefan7 said: ""I wonder if this could feasibly win the Tony Award for Best Musical. Maybe I’m forgetting something but it seems like a pretty thin season? Six? Mrs Doubtfire?"

You forgot Moulin Rouge which opened late 2019. Tony will probably go to Six or Moulin Rogue IMO.
"

We're also forgetting that Jagged Little Pull got some great notices

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020  Feb 21 2020, 02:14:29 PM
I totally agree that reviewing has become a lot more about being the wittiest or the most shareable or clickable, but I don't think that's unique to paid reviews either.

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020  Feb 21 2020, 01:47:54 PM

gibsons2 said: "I don't read theater critics (is this even a real profession? ) because I just can't take a questionable opinion of some pompous individuals and make it decide for me if I want to see a show. Did these people create anything themselves to be so snarky, lol? Thank god for social media and boards like this where I can find reviews of real people who pay money to see these shows."

Why is a critic's opinion questionable but any other random pe

Broadway Companion Books  Feb 19 2020, 02:40:23 PM

I second Song of Spiderman and, if you don't have it, Not Since Carrie, which is a must-read for every theatre fan.

I also really liked Michael Riedel's Razzle Dazzle (essentially a history of the Shubert Organization) and Mickey Rapkin's Theater Geek (about Stagedoor Manor).

If you're looking for new Broadway memoirs, favorites include Patti LuPone: A Memoir, Barbara Cook's Then & Now, and Kenny Leon's Take You Wherever You Go.

Girl From The North Country - Broadway Previews  Feb 12 2020, 12:58:19 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "perfectliar said: "PSA: You're allowed to like things other people don't. It doesn't mean they didn't get it or that they're stupid or wrong."

..and the poster did not say or imply any of those things. Jesus.
"

Presenting a more positive "score" than what people here have given it plus positive anecdotal evidence (from celebrities, no less) isn't at the very least implying that

Girl From The North Country - Broadway Previews  Feb 12 2020, 11:37:44 AM

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "For a show that is generating quite a bit of negativity and vitriol on this board it has a current rating of 72 percent positive at show score. As I mentioned earlier in this string I saw the showat the Public and really loved it. So did at least two respected audience members. That would be and Zachary Quinto and his plus-one, Cherry Jones. I spoke to them post-performance and they were like me, moved to tears.

Perhaps it is just too delicate a produ

Taron Egerton & Scarlett Johansson in Talks to Join LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Remake  Jan 30 2020, 09:13:36 AM

barcelona20 said: "Is it asking too much for a little diversity?"

Scarlett Johansson is a tree though.

Taron Egerton & Scarlett Johansson in Talks to Join LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Remake  Jan 29 2020, 11:49:54 PM

ModernMillie3 said: "Yet a ton of attractive people have played him so .... I think it's alright?"

Well as long as you think it's alright.

Taron Egerton & Scarlett Johansson in Talks to Join LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Remake  Jan 29 2020, 11:42:43 PM

ModernMillie3 said: "Im really sick of people saying Seymour shouldn't be handsome. Why not?"

It is literally part of Seymour's character that he shouldn't be attractive. It's part of the insecurity the plant feeds on. 

The Woman in Black  Jan 27 2020, 04:54:41 PM
"Sometimes, that emptiness can really detract from enjoyment of the performance (like eating in an empty restaurant)"

How does eating in an empty restaurant detract from enjoying a meal?

Mezzanine, my theater diary app, is available now on the App Store!  Jan 25 2020, 01:14:45 PM
This looks and sounds great but... Android.

Jamie  Jan 24 2020, 02:03:58 PM

jbroadway4 said: "Had a friend go to a screening of the film version last night in LA. He said it was great!"

That must've been a super rough cut since they just finished filming like 3 months ago.

Cirque Du Soleil shows in Las Vegas  Jan 13 2020, 01:46:02 PM

Ka, definitely. I loved Zumanity as well, but if you're looking for spectacle, Ka is it.

Young Frankenstein Live  Jan 8 2020, 01:31:49 PM

quizking101 said: "I like this show, but why can’t we get a LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS LIVE! with Jake Gyllenhaal first?"

Because there's more to it than just having a good idea.

Jagged Little Pill - Reviews  Dec 26 2019, 08:52:29 PM

seahag2 said: "I was just going to ask if this show is Next to Normal 2. Thanks for the help!"

It's really not. That summary is an overly snarky, overly simplified (it doesn't address like half the plot points or characters) version of events written to make the writer feel clever.

It's only similar to Next to Normal in the way that every rock musical is similar to Rent.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.