Profile for Theatrefanboy1

Member Name: Theatrefanboy1
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Most Surprising Broadway Actor  May 28 2020, 12:11:42 PM
As a child it surprised me that Julie Andrews was on broadway. I could never understand how a person on tv and do a show on stage. Same went for Angela Lansbury. Especially when I found out Mrs Potts was also Mrs Lovett

As of lately (in the last ten years) I was surprised Bette Mulder was in fiddler. That Maggie smith had a string of seasons up in Canada at a theatre. I also never knew back a couple years ago TImothee Chalamet was in a broadway play

REVIVE THE NORMAL HEART  May 28 2020, 12:03:05 PM

IdinaBellFoster said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "The main hurdle is thatThe Normal Heartis a huge downer of a show (though I love it immensely). It's going to be a while before depressing plays can be made financially viable in any way."

True, but nothing a huge bankable star or two can’t fix.
"

I wonder if Julia Roberts would reprise her film role.  Maybe redeem her stage career. 

REVIVE THE NORMAL HEART  May 28 2020, 08:57:45 AM
Well looks like it’s going to happen.

I would love to see Meryl as the dr maybe.

Could social media and cameo aid in the issue with fans thinking they’re friends  May 27 2020, 03:20:13 PM
Today I was on Instagram and a friend of mine who does connect with fans through social media to prompt events or his products started his Cameo profile today. It is a great way to help make ends meet especially during this time where performers have no idea when they will return to their work.
But it got me thinking. Could these apps have been aiding in the stalker like fandom that has plagued broadway especially over the last number of years. Where people reference to their paid video p

Revivals post COVID  May 27 2020, 10:17:17 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Supply and demand, BettyBoy. Interest in a show will drive its base price up(i.e. Hamilton to combat the secondary market). And more than half the shows that play Broadway each year can be seen for TDF prices ($50) or less.

In terms of streamlining budgets, I fear with that could come a level of "cheapness" (musicals with smaller cast sizes, smaller orchestras, less opulent production values, etc). A 20-piece orchestra was

Really useful group outlines rules for return. No stage door  May 25 2020, 05:42:45 PM

ArtMan said: "darreyl102 said: "Was West end stage dooring as popular or big a thing as it was here in the US? It seems every time I went to a show in the West end, the stage door was very much less crowded then here in the US. Like way more casual"

Every West End show I stage doored, had less than 5 people. A couple of times, I was the only one. The only exception was The Misanthrope, with Keira Knightly. That had about 20 people.
"

Hone

Really useful group outlines rules for return. No stage door  May 25 2020, 12:27:31 AM
With the post on Really Useful Group putting together an outline of rules to return theatres back. It seems like stage doors or even meeting actors will not be allowed. Which is not unexpected.

But do we see this being a permanent fixture and a complete end to the interaction of the theatre community and actors. (No im not referring to the crazed people Im just referring to a calm stage door experience)
Do you think this will be the new normal. Or a temporary fix to at least get t

Unnecessary Revivals  May 24 2020, 08:52:11 AM
Though I never saw it I heard the 2005(?) revival of Les kid was pointless. And many were unchanged by the 2014 revival. I saw it and for me it was nothing groundbreaking not like the turntable original.

The cats revival had promised to be an event and it really wasn’t.
I wish the 2012 superstar has latched on it was incredibly performed I thought.
The 2012 evita was solely based on Ricky Martin.
The last Annie was painful.
As was the guys and dolls flop.
Mi

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 23 2020, 06:18:26 PM
The ones I had most looked forward to were:

Rebecca
Funny Girl with Lea Michele
Coal miners daughter
Magic Mike
Celine Dion musical with the former head of cirque du soilel.
Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat (the 50th )
Love never dies

Post COVID Broadway: More Limited-Run Shows?  May 21 2020, 06:35:06 PM

Jarethan said: "I imagine that those will be 2 - 3 character plays that can be blocked in a way that the actors can keep a distance.

-- Gin Game with Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline

-- Night, Mother with (surprise) Oprah and Audra

-- Clarence Darrow withBrad Pitt or Tom Hanks (I think Pitt would be great in that role)

-- I Do! I Do! with Sutton Foster and Hugh Jackman,when TMM gets cancelled (of course, singing still raises the issue of how fa

Post COVID Broadway: More Limited-Run Shows?  May 21 2020, 04:19:27 PM
I completely agree. I wouldn’t be surprised that the next year of tony nominations consist of almost all “limited” runs

Why the hate for moulin rouge  May 19 2020, 09:46:44 PM
Does anyone think that different casting for Karen and Arron be any different

Why the hate for moulin rouge  May 19 2020, 04:12:13 PM
Thanks for that. I’ve been really interested to hear thoughts

Why the hate for moulin rouge  May 19 2020, 02:33:57 PM
Ive recently noticed that theres been a wide range of meh for the show. I think unanimously the can be praised. The show itself what is it that people are not liking.
I saw it and really enjoyed it. Though I understand the comments about the lack of chemistry between Aaron and Karen. The only other disappointment for me was that they didnt include the show must go on. Which for me was a stand out.
Interested to hear thoughts because it has been mixed both critically and by theatre goe

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw  May 16 2020, 06:39:58 PM
Spider-Man (And I really did want to LOVE it), King Kong, the broadway production of Kinky Boots (And I LOVED the west end version . But I think it was the cast). Book of Mormon (but I think it was cast again cause I loved the touring company).

Which shows will Covid-19 end?  May 15 2020, 04:53:42 PM

MadsonMelo said: "Aside from Phantom, Lion King, Chicago, Wicked, Book of Mormon and Hamilton, I can't think of any other show that can stay open until 2021."

I completely agree. If they are truthfully looking not to open til March 2021. I’m hoping for a fall opening but truth be told. No shows will have the backing to hold over a year.  I know that Webber has stated he will see to it that Phantom reopens  and I’m sure if it came down to it

I need a Hairspray revival.  May 15 2020, 11:28:19 AM
I really hope we get a hairspray revival out of this. Especially if we are going to be losing more than a handful of shows out of this

One person shows or acts  May 15 2020, 09:47:35 AM
Clearly I feel that small shows or residencies will be whats headed to Broadway post Covid reopening. I feel like Plaza Suite will be a great example of something that could sell. As well as 4000 miles with TImothee Chalamet. Any other 1/2/3 person shows that could have a business in the city?

In terms of residencies I wonder if a comedian like Jerrys Seinfeld would do. I think a memoir evening of Julie Andrews talking about her life would be incredible, kinda like a scripted companion

MJ reschedules for March 2021  May 15 2020, 09:28:26 AM
Realistically I feel if this is the trend of March 2021being the opening dates for people then I can’t see a number of shows surviving. Some shows open only had a 9-12 frame left in them in March I can’t see them extending the costs for 12 months to be open for three. But that puts like 5 musicals in jeopardy for sure.

And as for this musical. I really don’t think it’s something we NEED. In this environment I can’t see it even lasting as long as The Cher Show.

Broadway Real Estate 2020-2021 season  May 15 2020, 07:59:52 AM
I do wonder as well if 4000 miles will make an appearance by the end of 2021. It seems a perfect fit if they transfer it in the fall

You must log in to view off-topic posts.