Profile for QueenAlice

QueenAlice Profile Photo
Member Name: QueenAlice
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: British Lass Abroad: From Lambeth to NYC and Beyond!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hamilton film awards - Will it happen? Should it?  Jul 5 2020, 02:01:22 PM

I would be highly doubtful, regardless of its eligibility in this unusual year, that the film makers who make up the Academy would see HAMILTON as anything other than what it is: a video taping of a Broadway performance.

Favorite Christine Daae  Jun 29 2020, 01:07:20 PM

joevitus said: "QueenAlice said: "Nobody ever captured the bizarre, other worldly quality of the character quite like Sarah Brightman did - especially when the production first opened in London. She and Michael Crawford were like two souls from another planet - and I mean that to say - together- utterly extraordinary. Others came later who sang the roles better, but the show would doubtful have become quite the sensation it did if it didn't start with that original pairi

Favorite Christine Daae  Jun 28 2020, 11:13:25 PM

Nobody ever captured the bizarre, other worldly quality of the character quite like Sarah Brightman did - especially when the production first opened in London.  She and Michael Crawford were like two souls from another planet - and I mean that to say - together- utterly extraordinary. Others came later who sang the roles better, but the show would doubtful have become quite the sensation it did if it didn't start with that original pairing.

Roundabout Is Planning On Late Sept/Early Oct  Jun 16 2020, 07:05:19 PM

The Center Theatre Group, the largest not-for profit theatre in Los Angeles, just announced all programing is cancelled until April 2021.  I think thats a sobering, but realistic timeline for when we might see major theatre reopening.

Broadway Musicals that Deserve Film Adaptations or Remakes?  Jun 16 2020, 10:59:30 AM

I think you have to consider what musicals would be 'enhanced' by the medium of film. Pretty much all the great movie adaptations of Broadway musicals - from THE SOUND OF MUSIC, to WEST SIDE STORY to MY FAIR LADY, OLIVER, FIDDLER and even CHICAGO were able to use the medium of cinema to tell the story in a way you just can't do on stage.  

On the flip side, the trap to SWEENEY TODD, LES MISERABLES and PHANTOM was that the musicals on stage were larger than life -

Roundabout Is Planning On Late Sept/Early Oct  Jun 15 2020, 04:32:31 PM

We are waiting for NYC COVID cases to spike  in 3...2...1. So this is not going to happen. If anything I expect we may see some re-shutting down in Manhattan before it all re-opens again.

Seriously, we are realistically still the better part of a year away from Broadway returning.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works  Jun 13 2020, 11:31:46 AM

Hot Pants said: "QueenAlice said: "Ben Platt is way too old at this point to convincingly play this part on film. I can't imagine he wouldn't get put through the ringer by the press for trying it...If he is seriously considering doing the movie, he should watch the film version of "Rent" 7 times, ask how much that filmed helped THOSE actors' film careers, and then become a producer on the film of "Dear Evan Hansen", where he can offer forwardh

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works  Jun 13 2020, 12:42:49 AM

Ben Platt is way too old at this point to convincingly play this part on film. I can't imagine he wouldn't get put through the ringer by the press for trying it...If he is seriously considering doing the movie, he should watch the film version of "Rent"  7 times, ask how much that filmed helped THOSE actors' film careers, and then become a producer on the film of "Dear Evan Hansen", where he can offer forward his expertise on the role in an actually&n

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Film In The Works  Jun 12 2020, 11:06:58 AM

On the Broadway for Black Lives Matter forum last night,  one of the panelists, Amber Iman essentially said 'white allies who endlessly focus their energies on how traditionally white casting can be diversified are completely missing the point.'  

Why don't we instead hope the people behind the film add some POC to the production team and see what naturally extends from that from that rather than just hope the film adds a little token diversity to i

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 5 2020, 11:25:49 PM

But this issue moving forward shouldn't be 'how many ethnic performers can we jam into existing, long running traditionally white Broadway musicals just to prove how diverse we can be" -- we've tried that and it hasn't worked. The answer is to champion more writers of color - to champion more stories about diverse communities and to allow performers new opportunities based on that.

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 3 2020, 01:20:36 PM

VintageSnarker said: "OffOnBwayHi said: "Anyone who would question Griffin's post just might be racist themselves —they just might bepart of the problem."

Well, I question the part about commenting on the age of the actors vs the characters. That's always being debated whether it's the recent My Fair Lady or basically any shows with teens (Mean Girls, Heathers, Wicked, etc.)Even if it's not in critic reviews, it's being discusse

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 3 2020, 12:17:57 PM

Matthew's comments about Diane Paulus - even without the racial perspectives - are pretty much in alignment with what I've heard from industry insiders for years -- so many stories from those who have worked with her essentially saying she is a slightly mentally unhinged creative bully: a brilliant but lazy academic, whose greatest strength is surrounding herself with brilliant collaborators who she essentially wears to the ground (unkindly) with no innate decision abou

Actors being fired / replaced  May 19 2020, 12:12:33 PM

Barbara Cook claimed she narrowly escaped a collision with the piece of scenery that comprised the back wall of Carrie's house. The original set design was a sort of elaborate puzzle box that one person I know who saw it described as being rather like a "series of reverse garage doors:" pieces came up, slid back, and then over to come into place.

But I think Cook likely used the incident as an excuse to get out of the show. From her biography

FROZEN closes on Broadway  May 15 2020, 09:30:36 AM

While it's easy to point to things like disappointing box office, I think the closing of FROZEN is a more sobering glimpse into the realities Disney is going to be facing in the wake of COVID.  As far as entertainment goes, Broadway theatres are going to be one of the last things to re-open - second perhaps only to theme parks. Aside from caution about travel going to be a major blow to tourism, the economic blow to many Americans means that even when these things do reopen, mos

Carrie  May 10 2020, 02:52:20 PM

I rather kick myself for passing on a chance to see the premiere in Stratford (but the word of mouth truly was horrid) but I did get to see the Los Angeles production a couple of years ago which was absolutely spectacular. 

Did Betty Buckley, Judy Kaye or Priscilla Lopez audition for Evita?  May 8 2020, 11:04:41 AM

Oh, I've definitely heard first-hand horror stories about Buckley from people who have worked with her in the 1980s; she was also notoriously demanding in contract negotiations during the peak of her career, and I do think that resulted in her losing out on some wonderful roles.  She does seem to have mellowed with age -- and I should add that the same people who said 'never again' said they meant that only professionally. She has always been known as a lovely

Did Betty Buckley, Judy Kaye or Priscilla Lopez audition for Evita?  May 8 2020, 09:30:51 AM

It's fun hearing that clip of Buckley singing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" -- I've always imagined what she would have been like as EVITA -- in truth, I have to agree with Joevitus that her voice doesn't afterall seem ideal for the material - though of course, she toured in The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber 20 years after EVITA opened and Buckley's voice in the mid 70s was a bit different.

I had forgotten that Petula Clark had a hit with "Don't

Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD on Netflix  May 7 2020, 01:29:17 PM

That's what I suspect too, Brody, but I think Murphy should be warry about doing a series based around revisionist 'alternate' universe history of Hollywood. As others have pointed out, others, like Quentin Tarantino have done a better job applying that concept to other periods in Hollywood history.

Truly, I wish he'd just give us history.

Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD on Netflix  May 7 2020, 10:34:59 AM

I certainly had no trouble watching this entire series in two days.  It was a beautifully produced, pleasant fantasia - though I have to confess, while it was nice seeing a show where essentially every character's dreams come true,  the piece really lacks tension and true conflict and I found myself wishing that Murphy had instead tackled some of the real scandals of Hollywood history (the Fatty Arbuckle trial, the William Desmond Taylor murder, etc.) that have never been g

Did Betty Buckley, Judy Kaye or Priscilla Lopez audition for Evita?  May 7 2020, 10:25:34 AM

ajh said: "QueenAlice, thanks for bumping this thread. So enjoyable to read it all again, especially currently with so much time on my hands!

One tiny thing.... when Diane Langton didn’t endup becoming the Evita alternate in OLC for whatever reason (and would love to know what happened),Susannah Fellows WAS officially promoted from understudyto ‘Alternate Eva’ billing,complete with her own colour photo portrait outside the theatre, and photo in #2 edition

You must log in to view off-topic posts.