Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for VintageSnarker

Member Name: VintageSnarker
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Your Experiences with Rush Tickets?  Sep 24 2020, 01:23:28 AM

Some of the shows you named have a lottery and not a rush. But who knows what the policies will be if/when they reopen?

WEST SIDE STORY film delayed by a full year  Sep 23 2020, 09:38:37 PM
MollyJeanneMusic said: "One interesting possibility that now arises: could they potentially recast Tony and reshoot some of the scenes in this extra time?"

Even if they wanted to, it would mean reshooting so much of the movie. Unless this WSS is radically different, Tony is in a lot of scenes. This isn't an All The Money in the World situation.

The Metropolitan Opera Reschedules Opening Until September 2021  Sep 23 2020, 07:24:48 PM
The Met has led on setting more distant dates for reopening. I'll be curious if anyone else follows suit.

But also... WHAT? The FIRST??? What is the count for non-white composers in general?

"The Met plans to return to its stage next September with Terence Blanchard’s “Fire Shut Up in My Bones,” the first time it will mount an opera by a Black composer"

Speaking of representation, I'm not sure why the NYT omits Sarah Ruhl from the mention of Eurydice. To me, that defin

Chad Kimball  Sep 20 2020, 12:21:35 PM

HogansHero said: "My opinion: he will not be coming back and the show won't be coming back."

Hope not. The show is painfully mediocre and unfunny aside from the Beverley Bass song.

Encores 2021 Season  Sep 20 2020, 12:05:41 PM

Hoping that Clint Ramos and Eisa Davis prove to be positive additions.

Very happy that Love Life is still in the season. And now I get to finally see The Life too? Spectacular.

How long until a Madonna Jukebox Musical  Sep 16 2020, 03:32:29 AM

I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I'd prefer a jukebox musical with a plot vs a biomusical. Madonna's catalog is interesting enough (at least compared to other pop acts) that a good writer could craft a story using her songs. What's the legality on unauthorized productions? For example, did the Cruel Intentions musical get the rights to all those songs or were they cleared under parody?

YOUNGER to conclude with Season 7  Sep 15 2020, 05:45:22 PM
Nothing against Josh or Nico but they've been doing a terrible job keeping him involved. Why are Liza's friends seemingly his only friends? Especially with Clare and Gemma they had ways to write him off. He could have returned for the final season for the love triangle instead of hanging around doing very little for 2 seasons.

Lotteries and Rush tickets will now be a thing of the past?  Sep 14 2020, 10:14:18 PM
Jordan Catalano said: "Also - even when we have a vaccine and everyone is vaccinated - some people will, for the rest of their lives, wear a mask in public. I don’t think any of us will ever again see a full theater, amusement park, shopping mall etc. without a lot of people wearing face masks."

Why? That's a genuine question. Unless it's a filtering mask and not the cloth or disposable masks that most people are wearing, it does little to protect yo

YOUNGER to conclude with Season 7  Sep 14 2020, 10:07:26 PM
Sutton Ross said: "Glad it's ending, they have nothing more to tell."

I still adore the cast but the writers have only gotten worse over time. Does anyone care about Charles' book? The completely illogical power structure at this publishing company? Kelsey is not a #girlboss. She consistently makes terrible, unprofessional choices. Why is Josh still on the show? Why do they give Diana so little to do?

But yeah, I'll suffer through the last

Ben Brantley Steps Down  Sep 12 2020, 02:50:43 PM

They need to hire a woman. Preferably a WOC but at the very least a woman. 

Brantley is still capable of taking delicious jabs at productions or choices that deserved the derision. Flat acting, lazy writing, baffling scenic design. He wrote some of the best pans. But he would also take some weird shots at female characters, actresses, shows for a teen girl demographic, etc. that I'm surprised got past the editors in these supposedly PC times. 

A Thread for Live Performances Happening in NY  Sep 12 2020, 02:36:34 PM
Am I understanding the Gelsey Bell/Greenwood Cemetery one correctly? You can just explore at your own leisure? If so, it's a great way to avoid a lot of the problems with having people packed together in a confined space for 1-2 hours.

BCEFA Flea Market  Sep 12 2020, 02:27:44 PM
If you really loved that production of The King and I, that bundle seems great. It'll be interesting to see what they can package together like that. I've done too much decluttering during lockdown to want a random bundle of posters or Playbills.

BCEFA Flea Market  Sep 7 2020, 05:49:02 AM
If people still have the disposable income (and the people buying those big ticket items probably do) then it makes sense to move the auction online. People can still bid.

There are even items from the tables that could sell well (non-auction) like the full cast signed Playbills or the costume sketches. I assume they could even sell more of those signed Playbills if they could somehow safely coordinate getting them to everyone in the cast to sign.

But it doesn't make much sen

Oklahoma subtext  Aug 30 2020, 01:23:14 AM
Now that I'm thinking it over, maybe dream ballet Laurie almost kisses Gertie? I can't remember but either way it makes no sense. I'm not a fan of "blink-and-you'll-miss-it queerness." It doesn't say anything.

Oklahoma subtext  Aug 29 2020, 12:16:40 AM
qolbinau said: "It’s because in the scene with Curly and Judd in the dark like 5cm away from each others’ face. Personally I didn’t find it to have much gay subtext though. It was more that Curly was a cunning manipulator and was willing to exploit the loneliness of Judd - who was clearly not gay but lacking any kind of social interaction - to achieve his own ends.

I know some might claim it was over directed or a misinterpretation but I miss the revival de

Operatic Porgy and Bess vs. Broadway Porgy  Aug 28 2020, 09:21:19 PM

I like opera. I like operetta. I did not enjoy this production at the Met. I thought it was pretty interminable and only punctuated by the bright spots of the most recognizable songs (Summertime, I Loves You Porgy) which were performed well. Part of that is opera direction/acting but the show itself didn't hold my interest that well either. I do find it harder to connect with English-language operas though. I watched some of it again on PBS. I still enjoyed the standout numbers but even w

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 28 2020, 09:08:09 PM

I'm certainly curious about I Can Get It For You Wholesale, Smile, Stop the World..., and The Rink.

With the right lead actress, Funny Girl would sell a lot of gala tickets.

I'll throw in Skyscraper. Also, is it too soon to do some LaChiusa through off-Center?

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 28 2020, 08:08:38 PM
I'm thinking Moulin Rouge and Slave Play are going to stumble into a bunch of awards but maybe I'm overlooking the other eligible shows. If it's not clear, I think either show getting a lot of nominations/wins would not be a good thing.

Thoughts on Theater 5 months into The Shutdown  Aug 28 2020, 08:02:28 PM

I miss actual theater and live performances in general. 

I watched the Stars in the House livestreams at the beginning but I haven't watched one in months. I've watched a couple of Met Opera streams. I watched one or two theater bootlegs. 

But in general, I've kept away from theater-related stuff. After a point, it just became depressing. I've gone back to other hobbies and interests. There are plenty of pop albums and live concert albums from theater p

“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato  Jul 30 2020, 07:41:04 PM

I wish Fleming wasn't involved. Didn't she say that she retired from opera?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.