Profile for The Other One

Member Name: The Other One
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Donna Murphy as George in Sunday in the Park  Mar 24 2020, 09:48:24 PM

ARTc3 said: "I'd be interested only if she learned to project as far as her microphone.

I love her voice and have enjoyed her on various recordings, but many people who have seen her live will report to you that she can't be heard in a theater. It has been so bad that on the two or three occasions I did venture to a show she was in, I went to the Sound Engineer complaining that she couldn't be heard. All three times, I was informed by the Sound Engineer that th

What’s the last show you saw on Broadway before its closing?  Mar 19 2020, 08:21:33 AM

Part One of The Inheritance, on Thursday, Feb. 20th.  I had planned to see Part Two last Saturday night.

WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? Preview Thread  Mar 5 2020, 09:19:55 AM

The Anthony Page revival in 2005 also dispensed with the second intermission.  There might have been a three minute break between Acts Two and Three.

re: Jewish Broadway Stars  Feb 27 2020, 06:07:05 AM

lunch said: "mistermanifesto said: "Lindsay Mendez, Mandy Gonzalez and Andrea Burns are actually each half Jewish and half Latina!------Jewish and Latina are not necessarily mutually exclusive."

Add Leslie Kritzer to that list.

THE INHERITANCE to close  Feb 23 2020, 12:42:07 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe the casting of straight actors in gay roles in topical gay plays is actually rare, certainly increasingly rare, in NY theatre. Weren’t the casts of As Is, Torch Song Trilogy, The Normal Heart, and The Nance primarily gay? Ditto the original cast and most of the Elliott cast of Angels in America (if not Signature’s or HBO’s)?

If misrepresentation is a problem it is far more so in Hollywood.

Last Summer at Bluefish Cove will be revived on Broadway ne

THE INHERITANCE to close  Feb 23 2020, 10:54:28 AM

poisonivy2 said: "I wonder how yahyahyah felt about the HBO miniseries of Angels. Most of that cast was straight but they all broke my heart."

I wondered about this as well. 

yahyahyah raises some worthy concerns, but gay actors often get to play straight roles in NY theatre.  Ben Whishaw in The Crucible, Rupert Everett and Russell Tovey in the upcoming Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Tovey in A View From The Bridge, John Benjamin Hicke

What made Natasha Richardson so brilliant as Sally?  Feb 22 2020, 06:55:39 PM

Hard to reply to this, as the Prince and Mendes Cabarets are such different animals, but my favorite Sally, at least on record, is Judi Dench.  She captured everything Prince was going for with Sally: the panache she reveled in to cover up how limited her talent was.  

That said, I am very sorry that I missed Natasha's performance.  I loved her on stage the two times I did see her (Closer and Streetcar) and surviving video of her perfor

Sophia Caruso departs Beetlejuice  Feb 22 2020, 12:17:58 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "The Other One said: "...though the show itself is on the empty side. "

Empty as in the number of seats or Empty as in having lost part of its soul? If I had any qualms about selling my ticket for the final show, they’ve evaporated now. I have no desire to see this without the dynamic duo.
"

As in, a few performances and early moments aside, it isn’t a very good show to begin with. The mezzanine was probab

Sophia Caruso departs Beetlejuice  Feb 22 2020, 06:13:51 AM

Dana Steingold played Lydia on Wed. eve, Feb. 12th, and Presley Ryan played the Girl Scout. Both very good, though the show itself is on the empty side.  

Loudest gasp you've heard in the theatre  Feb 13 2020, 12:38:42 AM

The Lieutenant of Inishmore.  I'm with Roscoe on this.

Shining City's final moment.

Love to Rebecca Luker and Danny Burstein  Feb 9 2020, 12:39:19 PM

Oh my God, how terrible.  I pray that she beats the odds.

Tom Waits On Stage  Jan 30 2020, 10:43:55 AM

I always wanted him to cover The Beatles' For No One for this very reason, MarkBearSF.

At the same time (I believe on the same day!) that he released his Blood Money album, adapted from Woyczek, he also released an album called Alice, inspired by Alice In Wonderland.  I would love to see that theatricalized, although I don't know if there would be a role in it for him.

ARI: the musical based on Exodus - 1971  Jan 21 2020, 08:09:07 AM

Ann Miller was famously quoted as saying when she heard there was to be a musical called ARI that she wanted to play Jackie.

I never saw it.  I can say that the film it is based on does not hold up very well at all these days, but I don't know if that has anything to do with its failure as a musical.  Reading about its cast, Constance Towers certainly deserved but apparently never got a good original show, David Cryer had been a good replacement Rutledg

Platonic Classic Theatre Duets?  Jan 18 2020, 07:24:58 AM

Bosom Buddies, from Mame.

Honest Man, from Bajour.  (not a classic show, to put it mildly, but a good duet all the same.)

Bob & Carol &Ted &Alice (PREVIEWS)  Jan 17 2020, 08:23:55 AM

ArtMan said: "Hamilfan2, I'm not sure if you know, but the woman playing the band leader is Suzanne Vega. She had a couple of hit songs in the late 80's - early 90's. The most popular and heavy sampled was Tom's Diner."

Suzanne Vega is in this?! Reason enough to see it, though I have no idea if she can act. 

Idina Menzel a 'Go' for Funny Girl?  Jan 15 2020, 12:54:09 PM

Wasn't the song "Funny Girl" written for the movie?  Is it one of those film songs that have been interpolated into revivals of the show after a film version's success?

Broadway at the Oscars: A Quiz  Jan 12 2020, 07:34:48 PM

Someone in a Tree 2 and I apparently made the same error, but I agree with him.  Our choice should be considered correct as well. Is its revival having won what makes the difference? 

Collaborators who didn't get along  Jan 12 2020, 07:32:41 AM

Arthur Laurents and Sam Mendes during the 2003 revival of Gypsy.  

Collaborators who didn't get along  Jan 12 2020, 04:36:38 AM

jimmycurry01 said: "poisonivy2 said: "Andrew Garfield and Nathan Lane in Angels in America."

I want to hear the stories behind so many of these.

What tensions were there between Garfield and Lane?
"

First I've ever heard of this.

BrodyFosse123 said: "David10086 said: "Andrew Lloyd Webber and every leading actress in 'Sunset Boulevard'."

Huh? &nb

Broadway legends still alive  Jan 11 2020, 10:38:27 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Hugh Jackman and Mark Rylance. People see shows because of them and their performances are talked about long after their shows have closed.

Um, Hugh Jackman has only done 1 show: THE BOY FROM OZ. His other Broadway appearances were his one-man variety shows. He’s never done another play after THE BOY FROM OZ.
"

He didn't do A STEADY RAIN?  He isn't already, or at least likely to be, breaking box-offi

You must log in to view off-topic posts.