Profile for HeyMrMusic

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
Member Name: HeyMrMusic
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Lea Michele Is Not A Good Person  Jun 2 2020, 01:42:37 PM

JDonaghy4 said: "I don't doubt that Lea Michele is horrible; such reputations are earned. It just seems strange that shes being dragged for....posting the right message re George Floyd? Horrible, entitled divas can support basic civil rights, just as mild, agreeable people can be the nastiest bigots."

But people are saying that throughout her career, she hasn’t walked the walk to “support basic civil rights.” Her black castmates and their allies

Lea Michele Is A Good Person  Jun 2 2020, 11:52:35 AM
Exactly. Those people didn’t deserve her real-life bullying. It sounds like she created a hostile work environment (to put it mildly and in HR terms), and it sounds like it’s a recurring theme.

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 2 2020, 02:47:35 AM

LizzieCurry said: "This and Cody Renard Richard's post have become enlightening/unfortunate companion pieces.

https://twitter.com/codyrenard/status/1267471679195922433
"

Wow, that was really powerful. The microaggressions really add up, even if one is more than enough.

Cody is running for AEA council. He sounds motivated to rebuild a sense of community while ad

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 2 2020, 02:31:25 AM
Passing as white means just that, it doesn’t mean she acknowledges it or only identifies as white. I bet many people don’t know she’s half Japanese because they just assume she’s white. It’s the same way Darren Criss passes for white, as in he may appear white to someone who doesn’t know his Filipino heritage.

Being mixed race is a totally different matter, of course, and it does have many complexities. But passing for white is type of privilege. You don’t have to admit you pass for whi

Griffin Matthews’ Post  Jun 2 2020, 12:01:49 AM
Just putting it out there that POCs and gay people can also be anti-black. Many are, in fact, especially in the Asian community. (As an Asian American, I saw lots of anti-black racism in my family alone.)

Diane passes as white, which does give her privilege over black people or other Japanese people.

These are all beside the fact. Again, POCs and gay people can be anti-black and many are. It’s sad but true. We need to call it out when we see it.

Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD on Netflix  May 17 2020, 12:48:48 AM
That sounds like a “Dumbledore is gay” afterthought, but okay. Being a Canadian town was never the identity of Schitt’s Creek, however. Perhaps it embodied certain stereotypical ideals, yes, but there was no patriotism or national identity in the context of the show. As Dan Levy said, it was its own little bubble, so it could have been in some fake North American country for all that mattered. Sounds like he answered this just so people would stop asking him.

Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD on Netflix  May 17 2020, 12:29:34 AM

CT2NYC said: "I know it's beside the point, but SCHITT'S CREEK takes place in Canada."

It is purposefully never specified where Schitt’s Creek takes place.

Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD on Netflix  May 17 2020, 12:27:04 AM

I think there’s a slight problem of current generations being too far removed from these real life people. It’s a little unclear who’s an actual person, who’s fabricated, which parts of the real celebrity are fabricated. I was second guessing myself on numerous occasions. Not that there should be Cliff’s Notes or prefaces, but there wasn’t any real education on who these people really were, what was inspired by real events, etc. At least Once Upon a Time in

Significant Other - OBC Livestream - 5/14/20  May 16 2020, 02:20:50 PM
His only other performance that was anything like this character was maybe...Speech & Debate? Before his character was cut in Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark? How many people saw him in those? I don’t know enough about Gideon personally to know what he’s naturally like. I doubt the nominating committee would know much more. Just because the play makes it seem like this is how the actors themselves would talk and act doesn’t mean that’s true. Also, it’s not like this stopped them from nominating Pat

Significant Other - OBC Livestream - 5/14/20  May 16 2020, 11:48:59 AM

Wick3 said: "I missed seeing this play on Broadway but for those who did see it, how did they do that pool scene with John Behlmann? The way they did it in the live reading was really good!"

I believe he was in a special on a platform, nothing fancy.

Significant Other - OBC Livestream - 5/14/20  May 14 2020, 10:18:58 PM
It was so great to see this play again. I saw it Off-Broadway (didn’t get a chance to see it when it transferred). Gideon Glick definitely should have won the Tony for this. And Barbara Barrie and Lindsay Mendez should have been nominated. So wonderful.

Concord Theatricals acquires HADESTOWN Licensing Rights  May 14 2020, 03:06:19 PM
This is hardly a surprise. If you look closely, Concord Theatricals is a producer of Hadestown.

Ryan Murphy's HOLLYWOOD on Netflix  May 13 2020, 01:50:16 AM
After watching the first episode of PBS’s new Asian Americans documentary series, the actual story of Anna May Wong was more compelling and affecting than whatever they came up with in Hollywood, where she was relegated to the background and not given a chance to shine (despite preposterously winning the Oscar for some prominent character we never really see). By the way, to this day, an Asian actress still hasn’t won Best Actress (or even nominated since 1936), and the only Asian actress to win

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?  May 7 2020, 11:46:31 PM
It seemed like the choreography was modified for her. Don’t know if it was actually watered down or if that’s how she performed it, but the dance was not what her Anita was remembered for. Her long hair probably helped sell the physicality more.

Kiss Of The Spiderwoman Revival?  May 6 2020, 12:21:06 AM
I’d love to see an all-Latino production.

A STRANGE LOOP receives 2020 Pulitzer for Drama  May 5 2020, 02:18:11 PM

matt1982 said: "I'm glad to see Soft Power get some recognition. A very ambitious, if not perfect, new musical that spoke to our America."

I too am glad for Soft Power’s recognition. David Henry Hwang is one of those playwrights you would think already has a Pulitzer Prize (he is now a three-time finalist). I believe Ayad Akhtar is still the only playwright of Asian descent to win the Pulitzer.

A STRANGE LOOP receives 2020 Pulitzer for Drama  May 4 2020, 03:42:54 PM
Wow! Incredible.

A great shortlist too. I’m excited Soft Power was a finalist.

Two semi-autobiographical musicals by POCs in the bunch. And Jeanine Tesori’s second biographical musical as a finalist.

2020 Tony Awards Poll  Apr 29 2020, 01:45:20 PM
That’s wild that Percy Jackson was the only musical to officially open with an original score.

What Character in a Musical Most Resembles Trump?  Apr 23 2020, 01:31:03 PM
The Governor in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Drama Desk Awards  Apr 22 2020, 08:38:33 PM
Agreed, Kad. I can see them being co-leads, but if they are in separate categories, I’d have it the other way around.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.