Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for justoldbill

justoldbill Profile Photo
Member Name: justoldbill
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The King and I 1996  Aug 11 2020, 11:22:17 PM
Arriving at the theatre with all those elephants on the posters, my companion said that it looked like a revival of JUMBO. And when Donna Murphy made her first entrance swathed in widow's black, I whispered to my companion, "Mame, couldn't you have gone to purple by now?" The sets looked like Mardi Gras floats and we just giggled our way through the production. Not one of my favorites.

Eric Schaeffer steps down from Signature Theatre (Virginia) amid sexual assault allegations  Jul 9 2020, 05:01:10 PM

I didn't care much for his production of FOLLIES, either.  I get so tired of hearing about theatres giving, say, the Stephen Sondheim Award to Bernadette Peters and the Bernadette Peters Award to Stephen Sondheim, things like that. I can remember when it was about doing shows.

What Broadway Play Do You Regret Not Seeing?  Jun 12 2020, 02:41:36 PM

The original production of COMPANY.  I was in school in the Midwest and couldn't get to it.

Ruin a Broadway Musical by Changing One Letter  Jun 1 2020, 06:22:50 PM

LADY IN THE PARK, which, of course, leads to SUNDAY IN THE DARK WITH GEORGE.

A little night music original production information  May 22 2020, 07:14:15 AM

I saw the original production four times and "Liaisons" always made perfect sense to me.  Madame Armfeldt was not "literally" in Desiree's digs singing a number but commenting on Desiree's situation while drifting through the theatrical shadows (fingering Desiree's raisins, etc.). Why bother with the wheelchair?  Anyone who saw "The Butterfly" in ZORBA or "Too Many Mornings" in FOLLIES already knew Hal Prince was at

Anyone Can Whistle Question?  May 15 2020, 06:24:15 PM

Don't quote me, but I believe it was a break in the action during the Cookie Chase- the show was so crazy anything's possible.  It might have ended up delaying the progress of the show to its detriment.  That's just my theory.

Apr 18 2020, 10:22:48 AM

Also on YouTube- a copy of "Bolero D'Amour" recreated for a production in Michigan by, I believe, Mary Jane Houdina, one of Michael Bennett's dancers in the original production.  I don't have the savvy to transfer it here, but it's still there.  It's pretty faithful in showing what thirty years can do.

Apr 10 2020, 09:08:01 AM

Anyone who can remember the original production (I can), knows that the idea of showing 'older versus younger' was taken care of just fine in the "Bolero D'Amour" number, which remains for me the final word on THAT question.  Brilliant as "Who's That Woman?" was, the bolero number will always be my favorite number in the show, as it showed not only a 'slice' of the entertainment style of the age of the Follies as part o

The King and I new adaptation  Mar 31 2020, 04:50:11 PM

I  should think after the dreadful CARTOON version, the folks at what is left of R&H had learned their lesson.

COMPANY revival recording  Mar 27 2020, 03:44:06 PM

A new recording is not needed, the revival wasn't that good.  The OBC from 1970 will live forever.

Favorite Company Cast Recording  Jan 14 2020, 07:51:34 AM

The quadraphonic pressing of the original cast recording. Hands down. It has better sound, and the subtle changes involved in some of its tracks make all the difference in the world.

...  Nov 9 2019, 06:02:27 PM

Why doesn't any of this surprise me?  Next, they'll announce that the dancing will be done barefoot on a carpeted stage.

Mistakes on cast albums  Aug 29 2019, 12:04:45 AM

Not mistakes, perhaps, but I love the use of alternate tracks, usually on Capitol in old LP days.  They would often use different tracks for stereo and mono releases of the same album.  Probably a question of frequency.  And Thomas Shepard's quad mix of the COMPANY LP, and his more recent NIGHT MUSIC CD remix. Fun, fun, fun.

Last Performance Experiences  Aug 11 2019, 11:26:08 PM

I also attended the New York closing of FOLLIES in 1972 and can echo jayincheasea's remarks, adding the absolute shell-shocked look on Alexis Smith's face during that curtain call.  I suppose her stock performances of PLAIN AND FANCY didn't prepare her.

Favorite Broadway Flea Market Finds?  Jul 28 2019, 11:42:40 PM

A couple of years ago I found all four albums of Harvey Schmidt's MOVIE MUSIC IN A SMALL TEXAS TOWN- autographed.  Also, a small portfolio of paintings he did as concept for the original 110 IN THE SHADE.  Sometimes, luck is with you.

Biggest Tony upset of all time?  Jun 27 2019, 10:00:46 AM

Alexis Smith over Dorothy Collins in FOLLIES.  The voters must have been color-blind.  All they could see was the red.

Funniest Performances You've Ever Seen Onstage  Jun 6 2019, 11:29:30 AM

Marian Mercer - PROMISES, PROMISES

Favourite scene transitions?  Jan 21 2019, 09:09:38 PM

The transition to Loveland in the 1971 FOLLIES remains unbeaten, but the original scenic transitions created by Oliver Smith in MY FAIR LADY were pretty spectacular.  I'm old.

National Theatre FOLLIES Cast Recording To Drop Tomorrow  Jan 21 2019, 08:50:00 PM

In 1971, the character of Roscoe never appeared in Loveland.  The costume parade was accompanied by the male cavaliers (over-dubbed, like the rest of the song, on tape).  The current lyrics are an expansion of the original London production, more cynical than the original lyrics and not as good.  In my opinion, Roscoe's appearance in the Loveland sequence is a big mistake.

National Theatre FOLLIES Cast Recording To Drop Tomorrow  Jan 19 2019, 12:04:26 AM

The one unqualified success of the recording is "One More Kiss".

You must log in to view off-topic posts.