Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for Sunny11

Member Name: Sunny11
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2020 Tony Nominations Thread  Oct 17 2020, 08:36:45 AM

If west side story reopens around the same time as the movie then they  will benefit from the cross promotion. 

Could the Extended Broadway Shutdown Prompt More Live TV Musicals?  Oct 10 2020, 06:59:56 PM

It’s not live but Apple + recently announced a new original series with a great cast.

TV line link

WEST SIDE STORY film delayed by a full year  Sep 24 2020, 07:14:50 PM

And I just used the example of Mulan which recently had an experimental premium VOD release. 

WEST SIDE STORY film delayed by a full year  Sep 24 2020, 02:43:11 PM

Disney announced that black widow was postponed at the same time. Maybe It’s just as simple as they saw the streaming numbers for Mulan and decided not to go the same route with these two movies. 

Also the new opening date makes it clear that it’s still considered a serious Oscar contender ( assuming COVID doesn’t screw with their timetable too).

Ben Brantley Steps Down  Sep 11 2020, 12:19:46 PM
Charles Isherwood must be kicking himself. He only had to hold on 3 more years and the plum job would have been his!

Miscast  Sep 1 2020, 01:58:24 PM
I though it was live though. I understand how they can prerecord an elaborate multi location number but the logistics of doing that live must be challenging.

Miscast  Sep 1 2020, 12:52:51 PM
So several of the OBC of Hairspray have joined. Does that imply that they are doing a group number? How are they going to do that individually zooming from home?

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 22 2020, 04:54:37 PM

I think that today’s political climate would make removing the gender categories contentious.  I can read the headlines right now.              “ And the Tony goes to .. the Patriarchy”

It would be safer to merge Plays and Musicals because nobody outside of hardcore broadway fans will really give a hoot if one of those categories wins more awards than the other.

How Do You Solve a Problem Like the Tonys  Aug 9 2020, 12:30:59 PM
To me it’s an issue of basic fairness. Several shows opened in 2019 correctly assuming that they would be eligible for the next Tony awards. It isn’t their fault that the pandemic happened. There isn’t any reason why the Tony committee shouldn’t and can’t find a way to include them.

The awards are supposed to be a celebration of the broadway community. It simply wouldn’t be right to exclude shows who have earned the right to be there.

How Do You Solve a Problem Like the Tonys  Aug 8 2020, 05:09:38 PM

I say that when Broadway is given the green light to reopen all the 19/20 shows that have closed should be invited back for a limited run of one or two weeks for voters and the general public. That could also function as a test run  for any infection control mandates imposed and to focus group the audience as to what they want from broadway during a pandemic.

do roles win tony's or do people win tony's (probably both)  Aug 5 2020, 12:45:33 PM

Broadway61004 said: 
This is like the old "chicken or the egg" question: Are the roles iconic because of how they were written or are they iconic because of how the original actor portrayed them? ."

Some roles have been award winners for different productions and actors In those parts:   Broadway and West End or off- Broadway, original and revival.  Celie in the color purple, Effie in Dreamgirls and Hedwig in her epony

Will COVID End The Broadway Chorus?  Jul 25 2020, 03:49:02 PM

The chorus wont disappear for ever but I don’t think that it is realistic to say that Broadway won’t reopen until it is able to operate at 100% pre Pandemic capacity. That is neither in the good of the theatre community or required There will probably be a certain degree of deintensity carried out at first and temporarily suspending the chorus would be an easy way to reduce the number of bodies in the space without hurting the central storyline or cutting revenue.

Naya Rivera presumed dead  Jul 9 2020, 07:51:05 AM

That poor little boy probably watched his mother drown.

B'way closed thru 1/3 now  Jul 4 2020, 04:56:50 PM

A big unknown at the moment is If a second wave will hit New York City by November/December. If there is and March’s figures combine with the seasonal flu then the conversation is mute.

B'way closed thru 1/3 now  Jun 29 2020, 05:17:16 PM
I was just thinking about Motown the musical and how it did a mini revival not that long after the original run closing. The show retooled for west end and the national tour and returned in the new format.

I was just looking for opportunity in this mess. Producers may “ unfreeze” these long running shows during the break and tinker with them.

B'way closed thru 1/3 now  Jun 29 2020, 04:39:17 PM
So there will be at least a 10 month gap between the existing shows shutting and reopening.

How are these shows going to get back up and running ? Will the original director, choreographer writer comeback and retrain everybody? Are they using this break to make any changes? Will there be recasting?

I can’t think of a precedent.

Anyone else rewatching Glee?  Jun 28 2020, 12:51:50 PM

Just to clear things up.

YouTube clip

Mr Shue planted pot “ the chronic lady” in Finns locker to blackmail him to join Glee club. Shue got the pot from Sandy, the former glee director who Rachel got fired.

Vanity Fair on Broadway's Reopening -  May 25 2020, 10:03:57 AM

A January opening seems unfeasible to me for two reasons. It’s historically been the worst  time of year for broadway financially even in the best of circumstances. Everybody is broke after Christmas/New Years and the weather is bad, so less demand for theatre. Second, it’s In mid winter and most of the experts seem to be expecting a worse second wave then.  

It would make more sense to wait two more months and open in March, when the ma

Cuomo Snubs Broadway  May 2 2020, 11:30:07 AM

It would have been a waste of everyone’s time to hold the presidential primary. There is only one candidate running !  

Shut down until June 7  Apr 30 2020, 04:54:16 PM

raddersons said: "Sunny11 said: "Come on producers.You can createa play or musical that’s profitable forless than 250 x$400!.

Just strip back the costs to the bare essentials like college black box productions.

No, it won’t be “ business as usual “ but something would be better than nothing.
"

The stage hands union would like a word.
"

They are all unemployed now and if broadway insists on prod

You must log in to view off-topic posts.