Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for broadwayboy223

Member Name: broadwayboy223
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Diana going to Netflix  Aug 8 2020, 03:49:57 PM
I’m so confused by this thread😂 out of all the broadway shows that could be filmed for Netflix, why Diana?

TONYA WAS ROBBED  Aug 5 2020, 07:21:01 PM
Tonya Pinkins was most definitely robbed. I’d love to see her replace Sharon and finally get the Tony!

Roles synonymous with an actor BUT didn’t win the Tony  Aug 5 2020, 02:43:24 PM
Marla Schaffel for Jane Eyre (she was robbed of the Tony IMO)

There is a decent show in there somewhere?  Jul 19 2020, 11:55:16 AM

bwayphreak234 said: "Bandstand - I know for a fact there was a better show in there, because I saw that better show at PaperMill Playhouse before the Broadway transfer. The production at PaperMill had a lot more heart and emotional impact. I also liked the design more. The ending moment was also so much more effective.

Jagged Little Pill -If they had focused in on just one or two social issues instead of every social issue on the spectrum, the show could have and would hav

Actors With Unhealthy Singing Technique?  Jul 14 2020, 12:51:06 AM

Loopin’theloop said: "broadwayboy223 said: "A big problem is the fact a lot modern vocal pedagogy is inherently not functional. For example “placement”. People are taught to “place” their voices in certain areas. Why it doesn’t work is that the vocal folds come together and resonate throughout the skull, you can’t physically place your voice anywhere. Yes, you’re going to feel sensations when you sing, even vibrations-but you c

Actors With Unhealthy Singing Technique?  Jul 10 2020, 02:41:09 PM
A big problem is the fact a lot modern vocal pedagogy is inherently not functional. For example “placement”. People are taught to “place” their voices in certain areas. Why it doesn’t work is that the vocal folds come together and resonate throughout the skull, you can’t physically place your voice anywhere. Yes, you’re going to feel sensations when you sing, even vibrations-but you can’t go for that feeling, you can’t force it.

Usually what happens when people “place” their voices is

Actors With Unhealthy Singing Technique?  Jul 6 2020, 02:18:22 PM
Hi! College MT major here, and future voice teacher. I’d agree with what Patti said as quoted by Dollypop. It’s unfortunate because a lot new contemporary musical theatre is about screaming high notes, and who can sing the highest versus storytelling. There’s a LOT of bad singing on broadway.

Glad someone called out Ramin! He’s always SO sharp.

I think it would be too hard to list all the people who you shouldn’t listen to, but it’s much easier to list the good ones you should

Question re: Thank Goodness end note?  Jun 30 2020, 02:44:30 AM
The end of “Thank Goodness” is not prerecorded. Not all Glinda’s sing the optional high F6 (some dont even attempt the A5). Most Glinda’s usually sing C5 to A5 and call it good. Others have gone up to C6 and then a mere few have taken it higher to F6. None of this will probably make sense though unless you read music or know notes on a piano.

The only case I know of a Glinda not singing it as written (or any of the options) is when Kendra Kassabaum played Glinda. Her understudy in the

Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt  Jun 29 2020, 02:26:23 AM
I believe before her untimely death there was every intention of Natasha Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave starring in the show. They both sang the roles in the Roundabout benefit reading.

Caroline Or Change & Birthday Candles Officially Coming In 2021  Jun 26 2020, 04:36:38 PM
Tonya never claimed to be a singer first. And yes, her voice did get strained but almost everyone who saw show agreed her acting was out of this world. I didn’t get the chance to see it but her performance in the bootleg is quite good. Just my two cents

Rachel Zegler post-WSS  Jun 21 2020, 06:12:57 PM
Wow. Between this thread and the “Variety WSS” one, I’m glad to know BWW doesn’t believe women :/

We need Caroline or Change right now.  Jun 11 2020, 02:29:49 PM

Broadway61004 said: "Yes, it was technically written by a bunch of old white folks, but it's pretty widely known that George C. Wolfe and Hope Clarke, as well as Tonya Pinkins and a lot of the other cast, were very instrumental in developing the text through the rehearsal process. So this certainly was not a case of some white folks sitting down and writing a musical about the black experience with zero input from folks who actually lived through it."

This is 100

Older theatre fans: what's your opinion on new Broadway?  Jun 7 2020, 03:59:13 PM

I'm a young theatre fan (and MT major in college), and I have to say the most significant difference between now and then is that there's a lot more writing high notes for the sake of high notes, instead of it being driven by character insight or moving the plot forward. I know the tweens love Mean Girls and Heathers, but they are almost glorified belting competitions. That's just my opinion, though. There have been several great new musicals in the last twenty years-i'm not s

Lea Michele Twitter  Jun 3 2020, 10:08:03 PM
Weren’t Ryan Murphy and Lea awful to Diana Argon too?

Next To Normal Streaming Tonight?  May 30 2020, 05:40:14 PM

I'd also like to know where you plan on watching it 

Anyone Can Whistle Question?  May 11 2020, 02:40:47 AM

Hey guys! How did the cut song "There's Always A Woman" function in the show? I know it's been put in some concert productions, but was there a scene that was cut that explained why the song was taking place? Any insight would be appreciated! 

Next To Normal Streaming Tonight?  May 10 2020, 05:11:19 PM
Anyone who purchased or accessed a link willing to share it before it expires?

Christine Ebersole stole the show in War Paint  May 9 2020, 05:00:41 PM

lMarlothom said: "#Justice4AWomansFace"

I love you for this!! I much preferred "A Woman's Face" and the title song "War Paint," which were replaced on Broadway. 

I had the chance to see War Paint twice, once in Chicago, and once on Broadway. I LOVED it! Is it a perfect musical? No. Is the score fantastic? Yes!! 

I think with the writing team and the stars attached, everyone had a different expectation of what they

WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  Feb 15 2020, 12:26:20 AM
I loved War Paint the two times I saw it (once in Chicago, once on broadway) the score was rich and textured and Patti and Christine were SUBLIME

Goodreads equivalent for theater?  Dec 29 2019, 01:58:53 AM

Anyone care to share an already formatted spreadsheet? I'd love to keep track of shows I've seen!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.