Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for Someone in a Tree2

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Someone in a Tree2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Film Production Designer who still misses designing for Theater

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Dear Evan Hansen movie?  Aug 29 2020, 03:17:58 PM

Don't know why folks keep adding 4 years to Ben's age saying he'll be 30 when they roll cameras on this.

My understanding is filming was planned to begin this September (at least pre-pandemic planning). The LA film business is finally revving back up again after the 4-month shutdown, so I figure they'll have this in the can by Christmas.  

NBC Broadway Special?  Aug 20 2020, 10:12:02 AM
My hubby is on the crew of The Connors. Today is actually their first day back in the studio shooting (sans audience). Baby steps. Seeing a show like SNL back in Stage 8 resuming shooting would be the bigger test for this Night of Broadway. Sitcoms are easy by comparison.

Hadestown film?  Aug 12 2020, 11:27:07 PM
I dream about a proper cinematic film for HADESTOWN every time I hear the score. Set it in a 1930’s New Orleans— blues musicians share the streets with the homeless. See train cars with hoboes hurtling down the tracks past farms cursed with the dust bowl. Picture Persephone or Hades descending down their Pullman car steps to the station platform and start to sing.

I feel the show Is eminently translatable to proper film terms with a Damien Chazele or Julie Taylor at the helm.

How was Chita in NINE?  Aug 9 2020, 03:35:28 PM

Oh lord, everything about that show was magnificent, far surpassing the original 1981 production to my mind. First consider that amazing cast: Antonio Banderas, sure, but also Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, Mary Stuart Masterson. Chita was terrific although a bit miscast, I'd say. Her "French" accent was-- shall we say a potpourri of pan-European tongues? And the staging, half of it in ankle-high water, prevented her a chance to really let loose with dazzling move

The Wild Party: Lippa vs. LaChiusa  Aug 8 2020, 03:48:23 PM

"People Like Us" was the lift-off moment of the whole night-- it made great dramatic sense to drop away all the twenties artifice and have these two characters sing from their hearts, out of period and outside the tawdry Harlem apartment on the fire escape. That scene was magic.

The King and I 1996  Aug 6 2020, 10:20:20 PM
Thankyou to whomever inquired about Faith Prince’s Anna in the ‘96 Revival. That’s who we saw in the show, having been in love Faith since Jerome Robbins’ Broadway and of course, the GUYS & DOLLS revival of 4 years earlier.
Sorry to say, we thought her casting was a dreadful mistake. She literally still employed the squeaks and verbal hiccups of the wacky Adelaide, which made no sense for the Welsh-born Anna. Just a total mismatch of actress and character.

The King and I 1996  Aug 6 2020, 07:05:46 PM

I have very little recollection of the '96 revival, except to echo the raves for Lou Diamond Phillips. 

But I'll always remember the first production of TKAI I ever saw, the New London Barn Players summer-stock production of 1977 for which I'm proud to have designed the sets. Can't remember who played our Anna, but the King was assayed by none other than Gerard Allesandrini, who went on to fame and fortune as the creator of all those Forbidden Broadways. Good times

The Wild Party: Lippa vs. LaChiusa  Aug 6 2020, 06:55:46 PM

^ If my snippy comment was too sharp, I humbly apologize.

It threw me that you appeared to dis the LaChiusa cast album because his songs alone didn't convey a clear picture of the plot. I would say that, except for through-sung shows, most musicals are built that way, no?

The Wild Party: Lippa vs. LaChiusa  Aug 6 2020, 12:07:06 PM

^ Yeah but a recording is not supposed to explain everything in the show. That's why they made a play with, ya know, dialogue and everything.

I absolutely loved the La Chiusa WILD PARTY on Bway. It was riveting theater (most of the night) with brilliant performances, great design, and fearless direction by George C Wolfe.  That show is what made me want to see the Lippa version in the first place.

Gotta say I liked the second one much much les

Why must the Theater Fans Choice Awards be so full of omissions?  Aug 4 2020, 04:35:27 PM

Serves me right-- it's just a dumb fan quiz anyway, but in what world is Cynthia Erivo not mainstream?

Why must the Theater Fans Choice Awards be so full of omissions?  Aug 4 2020, 03:05:51 PM

Endless pet peeves but I'll just name three:

Cynthia Erivo is missing from every Best Performer of the decade list (which she certainly was).

Bridges of Madison County is missing from the Best Musical of the decade list (which is certainly was).

An American in Paris is missing from the best Set Design of the decade list (which it certainly was).

Anyone else have complaints (or praise)?

Greatest Song of All Time From a Musical  Jul 30 2020, 03:02:33 PM

The greatest song of all time must come from the greatest Bway composer of all time. For me that would be Leonard Bernstein hands down. So my pick for top song?

"Make Our Garden Grow" from CANDIDE. The music alone makes my heart soar like no other, and the lyric is supremely simple yet perfectly matched. 

Greatest Song of All Time From a Musical  Jul 29 2020, 09:55:53 PM
I love “Song on the Sand”, but challenge your recollection of Albin and Georges kissing on the stairs in the finale of the original production of LA CAGE.

As someone who was on the design team of that show (and 1st and 2nd national tours), I can pretty much guarantee that the finale number was staged without Albin/Zaza so that he could change into his finale white linen man’s suit. As the finale set flew away and the last ensemble member pirrhouetted into the wings twirling her paraso

Greatest Song of All Time From a Musical  Jul 29 2020, 09:55:52 PM
I love “Song on the Sand”, but challenge your recollection of Albin and Georges kissing on the stairs in the finale of the original production of LA CAGE.

As someone who was on the design team of that show (and 1st and 2nd national tours), I can pretty much guarantee that the finale number was staged without Albin/Zaza so that he could change into his finale white linen man’s suit. As the finale set flew away and the last ensemble member pirrhouetted into the wings twirling her paraso

Vanity Fair First Look at WEST SIDE STORY film  Jul 28 2020, 01:58:28 PM

Brody, I wonder where you get your info on LA film production. It certainly has NOT  all started up again as a general statement.

The Disney project I was on when things shut down in March has talked of resuming in a week or so as long as we do it from HOME for at least the next 4-8 weeks. That's obviously not a viable way for most projects to come back. This town is still in general shutdown.

Plays or musicals with scenes at New Year's?  Jul 27 2020, 01:07:25 PM

Am I right to remember a New Year's Eve scene in DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER?
Memories from 1983 are distinctly hazy at this point.

Are there any other lucky suckers who remember Alan Jay Lerner's last show better than I?

Best outdoor production you've seen?  Jul 26 2020, 09:08:42 PM
^ Thanks, FosseTharp, you just reminded me of another show we enjoyed about 10 years ago at the Arena in Verona— it’s their insanely sumptuous production of Turandot. Staggering to watch them hoist each night’s sets up and out of the Roman arena the next morning to make way for that night’s new opera. Everyone should make it to their summer season at least once.

George Rose in My Fair Lady  Jul 24 2020, 11:52:20 PM
Nope, he was not all that amazing — likeable enough but George Rose never convinced you he was really that genuine Cockney character. He was nominated as lead because his name was above the title. I believe he won basically because of how beloved he was within the Bway community.

What musical are you listening to/have listened to in quarantine?  Jul 21 2020, 12:47:33 PM

Today's cassette was the Rise Stevens recording of LADY IN THE DARK. What gorgeous dreamscapes Kurt Weill and Ira Gershwin created-- rivaling the dreamscapes of the CAROUSEL ballets. Somehow an especially good fit for pandemic times.

What musical are you listening to/have listened to in quarantine?  Jul 20 2020, 05:53:38 PM

I’ve dug out my old CASSETTES boxes (remember those?) and a modified Walkman so I can listen to shows I’ve never gotten on CD on my morning reservoir jogs.

THE APPLE TREE (OBC) is the latest one. What an odd collection of songs that is!

MAME was the plan a couple of days ago, but the tape had stretched beyond usability. Que lastima!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.