Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for g.d.e.l.g.i.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
Member Name: g.d.e.l.g.i.
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a producer of world class media (stage, film, TV, audio recording), and in addition I develop and produce original, indigenous talent in all areas of media production, in concert with production possibilities in major U.S. cities. In my spare time, I screw around on the Internet.

I used to post here as gvendo2005, but in turning over a new leaf with regard to my Internet persona, I felt a new account was needed. And... here I am!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Dance of the Vampires  Aug 14 2020, 09:02:54 PM

If someone had tried just a little harder to capture what worked in Europe, it wouldn't have set that precedent. With any luck, some day I'll be able to prove it. Then again, wish in one hand, **** in the other, as they say...

Dance of the Vampires  Aug 14 2020, 02:16:41 PM

I had at least two reports -- one from the UK, one from Hudson Valley -- that they needed to be a subscriber to read it, hence my offer.

Dance of the Vampires  Aug 14 2020, 01:18:44 PM

Look, Mom, I made the papers! (Sort of. They omitted a significant portion of the info I gave them, which is interesting considering they devoted substantial time to the efforts of an attempted revision of that veritable chestnut It’s a Bird… It’s a Plane… It’s Superman in their other story for this series.)

If this article is hidden behind a paywall for you, DM me. In the meantime, I paste here the comment I made on said article:

How was Chita in NINE?  Aug 11 2020, 10:59:25 PM

In fairness, we shouldn't be judging him for Grand Hotel. He wrote huge chunks, yes, but he was also merging it with a pre-existing score by Wright and Forrest (of Kismet fame).

People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show?  Aug 8 2020, 12:29:01 PM

Scarlet Leigh said: "So......... Dance of the Vampires. *Pops open a bottle of vodka and takes a shot for strength* Let's talk about that for a hot second.

I don't even know where to start with it.Two girls getting brutally murdered in the opening number while the ensemble has a rocking ballet dance break.Crawford's entrance in a coffin shooting up from the stage floor.The creepyvibe Crawford was giving off anytime he was on the stage with Mandy Gonzal

What do we know about the BEAUTY & THE BEAST revival?  Aug 1 2020, 11:13:15 PM

Rent was by no means his fault; the first draft, while not very faithful to the text of the play, is incredibly evocative of its spirit, and -- for my money -- would've been the perfect film, with a few adjustments. Chris Columbus advocated for a lot of changes that led to the wishy-washy product we got.

Which movie musicals could Spielberg have done?  Aug 1 2020, 11:02:16 PM

ALW's Whistle Down the Wind was originally meant to be a Spielberg film, with Johnny Depp and Kirsten Dunst attached (presumably for the roles of The Man and Swallow, respectively). As Martin Sheen narrates the early demo that's circulated for ages, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was angling for a role as well, likely Boone. (Ultimately, they decided to try it onstage instead.)

When you think about it in retrospect, it seems almost tailor-made

Gender swapped Tell Me On A Sunday  Jul 27 2020, 11:58:21 AM

Actually, "Dreams Never Run On Time" was a rewrite of a song from the 2003 Denise van Outen revival.

Do you think the ùPhantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 23 2020, 11:48:18 PM

bawoman said: "Not a bad list maybe 10 years ago or 15, when the film was made, but now? Most of those people are way too old now for their parts/"

Good thing I said "if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004" then. Try reading a little more closely next time.

FOLLIES Film, Helmed by Dominic Cooke, Has Been Greenlit  Jul 23 2020, 11:43:01 PM

bk said: "JBC3 said: "Oh look. The bitching has already begun.
Things here are so reliable and consistent.
"

Here's what's reliable and consistent - automatically believing that PR stuff is true. We'll see if this is real when they announce a start date. Anyone can say anything, witness the six YEARS of Streisand/Gypsy PR BS.
"

Oh for Christ's sake, Bruce, a script existed. What do you think I've been handing p

Gender swapped Tell Me On A Sunday  Jul 23 2020, 10:45:39 PM

I just find it funny considering I proposed this publicly years ago, though my idea included combining songs from all versions of Tell Me On a Sunday to make it a full-length evening.

Do you think the Phantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 23 2020, 01:45:08 PM

I don't know if it should have been made earlier, but if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004, it would've looked something like this:

Director - Baz Luhrmann (just imagine that "Masquerade"...)
Choreographer - Rob Marshall

Phantom - Hugh Jackman
Christine - Anne Hathaway
Raoul - Ewan McGregor
Carlotta - Kristin Chenoweth
M. Firmin - Nathan Lane
M. André - Matthew Broderick
Mme. Giry - Glenn

There is a decent show in there somewhere?  Jul 22 2020, 08:49:57 PM

joevitus said: "Love the info from g.d.e.l.g.i about standing room becoming a mini-disco."

And I even found the quote to back it up! First paragraph of Jan Stuart's review of the 1993 revival for Newsday:

"When The Wiz blew into the Majestic Theater back in 1975, lucky were the theatergoers who go

Gender swapped Tell Me On A Sunday  Jul 21 2020, 03:08:22 PM

BJR said: "I remained annoyed you can't license the Broadway Richard Maltby Jr rewrite from Song and Dance. Infinitely better."

You could when it was at R&H. That was the only version they licensed here, per a friend who licensed it.

There is a decent show in there somewhere?  Jul 19 2020, 11:13:56 AM

And while the original wasn't brilliant, people weren't exactly coming for the book. They were coming to see themselves represented on stage in a classic American story and to hear a great score. (One reviewer of a subsequent revival, I think at the Beacon in '93, talked about how the original S.R.O. section for The Wiz on Broadway turned into a mini-disco every night, people up and moving to the beat.)

Ken Davenport / Wave Music  Jul 19 2020, 09:40:55 AM

Time'll run out soon enough; prime candidate for the Adela Holzer / Max Bialystock Memorial Wing at a prison near you.

Did Judy Garland ever record Anyone Can Whistle?  Jul 16 2020, 11:21:42 AM

Well, here's what I found to be of particular note, on the first go-round at least: 

* The film starts at Minsky's, more or less setting up the final scenes, and turns into a flashback (brilliant stroke of genius to justify Barbra's casting, not that I think it could've done the heavy lifting all by itself)

* "Momma's Talkin' Soft" is back in (a decision I'm surprised no other revival or filmed version has ever considered)

Did Judy Garland ever record Anyone Can Whistle?  Jul 16 2020, 01:25:53 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Does the Barbra screenplay differentiate much from the stage libretto? And was that Laurents' work or someone else adapting it?"

Let me make that easier for you... (Check your PMs.)

Did Judy Garland ever record Anyone Can Whistle?  Jul 15 2020, 03:28:57 PM

It has long been rumored that one of the possible Rose/Louise pairings pitched to Warner when they first made Gypsy in '62 was Judy and Ann-Margret. Not so sure about the latter, but Judy would've been a beast. (Actually, funnily enough, when I read the screenplay written for Barbra much later, I tend to picture Judy in my head rather than Barbra for some reason.)

There is a decent show in there somewhere?  Jul 15 2020, 03:24:03 PM

henrikegerman said: "Dance of the Vampires if less overproduced and didn't take itself quite so seriously.,, MAYBE"

(gestures in the vague direction of the European version... except for the overproduced part, admittedly)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.