Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for dented146

dented146 Profile Photo
Member Name: dented146
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice  Jun 17 2020, 01:28:00 AM

I agree, South Pacific certainly is about prejudice. The story touches on racial injustice in the Nellie's initial behavior.

Your First Broadway Show  Jun 15 2020, 01:21:26 AM

Like goodlead, my first Broadway show was My Fair Lady in 1960. Even as a young teenager, I was thrilled to see the show. But I developed a terrible nosebleed that morning. It was a 98 degree day, a doctor treated my nose, and I sat in the theater hot and miserable with cotton stuffed up my nose. Andrews and Harrison were not the leads by then. 

Two days later, I saw Bye Bye Birdie with Dick Van Dyke and Chita Rivera. The show had opened a couple of months earlier and, being from

Rodgers & Hammerstein thread  Apr 7 2020, 02:24:43 AM

There is so much to the music of Richard Rogers as well as the meaning and change and inspiration that he and Hammerstein and Hart brought to Broadway for over five decades. Looking at their work from year 20/20 vision is so difficult and almost seems unfair. The songs still carry so much emotion and weight. The melodies linger on, way beyond songs written decades later. Where they say something about society, they say it with more clarity and feeling than almost anything written since. Where

R.I.P. Sam Shepard  Jul 31 2017, 09:18:22 PM

He was a supremely talented man. I will miss him very much but I am grad he left such a great body of work for others to enjoy. I'm sorry he had to suffer such a terrible disease. Rest In Peace

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018  Jun 27 2017, 02:09:17 AM

I pretty much echo what misheehan had to say. The show is fun. It will never be mistaken for Hamilton but it will likely have a pretty good run and make plenty of money even after the reviewers take their swings at it. The people who want to see it will leave with a smile. The serious theater people on this board who go looking to hate it will have their negative opinions validated and wonder why so many people are having a good time as they lament the downward spiral of quality theatre.

Farewell Jersey Boys!!!  Sep 6 2016, 09:43:17 PM

I had the good fortune to see the show at the La Jolla Playhouse before it went to Broadway. It really did seem special at the time. And it did not seem to need any work. I had never felt that way about any other local production. When I later saw the show on Broadway, I had a difficult time noticing any changes. It was just a fine show from the very beginning.

What a great run!

Goodbye Alan Rickman  Jan 14 2016, 11:01:58 AM

I will miss seeing him in new works. He made every character he played distinctive and new. He was one of the very best to step on stage or in front of the camera. RIP

Hamilton's  Jan 3 2016, 01:43:13 AM

Similarly, I feel the same way about " I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" which remarkably ends the show.

20,000 NYC High Schoolers will see HAMILTON  Oct 28 2015, 01:07:36 AM

It is just a wonderful thing to do. I agree that there are no negatives.

ON YOUR FEET-the next big hit?  Oct 20 2015, 02:20:57 AM

I had the good fortune to see both On Your Feet and Hamilton this last weekend. My expectation is that both will be big fat hits. They will appeal to different audiences, I suppose, although I loved both for different reasons. Gloria was at the Friday performance which was fun to see. OYF was far more entertaining than I expected it to be. It is fun, the book is just fine, and the show has a great deal of heart.

I thought Hamilton was a brilliant show which pretty much lives up to the h

Your favorite musical theatre song most people may not be familiar with  Oct 12 2015, 06:17:52 PM

I have always been fond of  many of the songs by Bricusse and Newley from Stop the World I Want to Get Off and The Smell of the Greasepaint The Roar Of The Crowd. Gonna Build A Mountain and Feeling Good are special to me.

Allegiance Previews  Oct 11 2015, 09:25:18 PM

Being in San Diego, I always take a special interest in the shows which are fortunate enough to move from here to Broadway. If I remember correctly, Allegiance and Gentleman's Guide... played at the Globe the same season and they were both monster hits for the theater. I would not underestimate the following that Takei has on social media or the popularity of Lea Salonga. San Diego has a very large Asian population and they made their presence known. Broadway may be a different story

Most Overrated Tony Award Winning Best Musical  Sep 29 2015, 01:05:31 AM

I also never could figure Lion King or Once for that matter. I don't believe, however, that Ave. Q was overrated at all. I believe that Wicked is way underrated by many.

Musicals you love but many don't  Sep 6 2015, 01:42:08 AM

I really like Jekyll and Hyde, Also:

Stop the World I Want To Get Off

Gigi

Flower Drum Song

Shows that deserved tonys  Aug 26 2015, 02:01:36 AM

Certainly West Side Story.

How on earth didJersey Boys get the TONY  Jul 15 2015, 01:32:50 AM

It won because it was the best new musical in 2006. I agree with Wilmington. The book is extremely well written. I saw the show in previews in La Jolla and then again a year later on Broadway. If there were changes made between the two efforts, I didn't notice them at all. It was simply right from the very beginning. True, it does not have an original score but it certainly raised the bar on jukebox musicals.

Worst Hits You Ever Saw  Jun 3 2015, 12:24:35 PM

I must agree with those who wondered what was best musical worthy about Once.

Best Animated musical films  Jun 3 2015, 02:04:33 AM

The Little Mermaid. Fabulous score and orchestrations complimented with brilliant animations.

Stephen Schwartz  May 31 2015, 02:30:31 AM

I am also in the minority here,(except with the public). I feel that the lyrics in Wicked are extraordinarily perceptive and almost impossibly cute. And in this case "cute" not only works, it created a generation of Broadway fans. I don't feel that they are lazy at all. The first time I heard The Wizard and I, I felt it fleshed out a character as well as any song I had ever heard. I agree with JoseLee about that song.

And I like the melodies as well. I love

Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?  May 28 2015, 01:49:21 AM

By the time of the Tony Awards, Hamilton will have been sold out almost 11 months and likely will have recouped. Hamilton will be established as a huge commercial success. I don't think that helps with Tony voters. If there is another very good or clever musical which needs recognition to flourish, the voters may give it the nod.

I haven't seen the show. It may be the best thing in years but a lot of great musicals have lost.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.