Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for jv92

jv92 Profile Photo
Member Name: jv92
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

If You Could Cast Judy Garland In a Broadway Show?  Sep 7 2020, 02:48:06 PM

The two roles that come to mind immediately and always have for me are Mame and Sally Plummer. 

I think she would have become a supreme Sondheim interpreter in clubs and concerts. Think of what she did with Arlen, and imagine what could have been had she lived to sing "Being Alive" or "Losing My Mind." Or "Not a Day Goes By." Ahh! 

Oh well... 

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 22 2020, 08:19:08 PM

If SEESAW was done in New York in February, I don't know where I was. But even if it was, was it with the original charts and  presented as close as possible to the way it was done in 1973? 

I think people sometimes forget that Encores! is really more about showcasing a score and recapturing a long lost sound (and you could even say now that the ways shows sounded in the early 70s is long lost) than anything. 

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 22 2020, 07:07:37 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Also, I’d love to see “The Act”. I can’t imagine that would be performed anywhere other than City Center."

Yes. But with “Please Sir” reinserted.

On that note, WOMAN OF THE YEAR with Alison Janney. 

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 22 2020, 06:50:16 PM

helvizz said: "The Life and Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk. Two shows I don't see being revived any time soon in America..."

If they do any Cy Coleman show about down and dirty old midtown, they ought to do SEESAW before THE LIFE. 

KISMET was done some years ago with Stokes and Marin. 

Ted Chapin mentioned on a recent podcast that ALLEGRO Redux, ME AND JULIET aaaand the original FLOWER DRUM SONG have been bandied about. 

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 22 2020, 03:07:53 PM

New Girl in Town with Katrina Lenk is what I’m pushing for. It’s a so-so show, but the score has tremendous charm, so it’s a perfect choice.  

Greenwillow, too. Really big on that getting done. And I’ll add my voice to the Dear World chorus. They did well by Herman this year, so I’d like to think his estate would continue to work with them. 

Ray Knight Videos  Aug 22 2020, 12:07:40 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "All questions he’s been asked for years.

Think of him like an 85 year old guy on “Hoarders” who has a ton of wood and metal that’s been sitting outside rotting for decades, that he won’t get rid of because one day he’s going to find the time to build something great with it. I honestly believe it’s the same mentality with Miles.
"

Really sad. And to think he wrote such a lucid an

Ray Knight Videos  Aug 21 2020, 07:53:49 PM

This I don't understand, Jordan. He's old. Certainly his knowledge and passion is not to be scoffed at, but he's up there in age. How in the hell does he think he's going to make money and enjoy that money at his advanced age? With the clock running down, wouldn't he think it'd be wise to give this footage to the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center or the Library of Congress and have whatever copyright issues are involved dealt with by those institutions?

Aug 11 2020, 09:16:24 PM

I'm no fan of those live action remakes, but I took inclusions of those clips to be less a marketing tool and more a reminder of how his works has lived on and evolved and continues to be relevant to audiences nearly 30 years after his passing. So while I understand the dislike of those films, I kind of don't understand everyone taking umbrage with them popping up towards the end. They were there at Tribeca before Disney became a distributor. 

Before anyone asks why i

Aug 11 2020, 08:09:08 PM

"I think I also learned Alan Menken is only as good as his lyricist.

YEEES. I think the only person he's worked with that one could say matches Howard in terms of story and character and craft is Stephen Schwartz, and even he's no Ashman. 

Imagine his hand in Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules and Tarzan for example.

I often think about this. As much as I like the scores to POCAHONTAS and HUNCHBACK (I feel that Menken's

Aug 10 2020, 06:59:28 PM

I remember reading that Hamlisch was sort ofagainst Smile being revisited because he considered it a failure. Not sure where his estate stands now regarding something like an Encore production. I too hope it could happen, but I don't know if it is more complicated than, say, Rosewater which obviously is still something Menken thinks fondly about."

Hamlisch was a glib, commercial success-obsessed hack whose music (or rather, muzak) has aged terribly. He treated Ho

Aug 8 2020, 09:39:34 PM

Islander_fan said: "I had found out a few years ago that the lyrics to “Gaston” where just “dummy” lyrics Ashman came up with to help Menkin with the song structure. I then remember going back and listening to the song, I walked away thinking, “those were dummy lyrics?” He’s just that good a writer."

There are a FEW (but very few) lines in that lyric that could scan better, but that's just the persnickety lyric-writing pe

"Howard" on Disney Plus  Aug 8 2020, 08:57:03 AM

Jordan Levinson said: "Despite the subject matter of the documentary, I think this conversation should be moved to the Off-Topic board. Glad to hear such positive reports so far though... I would love to see it soon."

The obtuse dismissiveness of this remark really burns me, so let me pile on like some others have so far.

Howard Ashman, with the work he left behind, inspired a generation of new theatre artists to explore and create. Howard Ashman did have

George Rose in My Fair Lady  Jul 28 2020, 09:06:39 PM

I actually watched a (professionally) taped version of PO lastnight on YouTube. With Mako and the original cast. I have to admit that I had the same reaction to it that I had 45 years ago. I was bored out of my mind from the interminably long opening number until the last moment.

I thought the production values were very creative, and the cast was excellent. Sad to say, my first issue is that I really did notlike the score. I also simply did not have the patience for the delibe

George Rose in My Fair Lady  Jul 27 2020, 11:48:59 PM

Adding that this thread touches on a lot of issues and theater seediness which is interesting to see. My parents saw Mako in Pacific Overtures.thought absolutely amazing. So much history and power and racism revealed in one tony season..."

The racism directed at the performers in PACIFIC OVERTURES as recounted by Mako just seems like it came from some bigoted jerks in Midtown. I'm not sure if there was an anti-Asian bias against the show, It think it was more an anti-

George Rose in My Fair Lady  Jul 25 2020, 12:10:22 PM

I've always held the conspiracy theory-- and yes, it is ridiculous, but I wouldn't put it past them-- that Michael Bennett and/or Gerry Schoenfeld and Bernie Jacobs bribed or bullied voters into not voting for Mako or Jerry Orbach just to see that PACIFIC OVERTURES and especially CHICAGO didn't win any major awards. There was a lot of hostility between parties that season. 

(Yes, I know PACIFIC OVERTURES won two design awards, but by major I mean acting, directing, et

Chicago at City Center Encores  Jul 10 2020, 03:23:30 PM

I heard it was supposed to be Liza, and I've always thought it was an urban legend. It just doesn't make sense, even if she had prior "Roxie" experience. 

Donna makes more sense in every way, especially since she had done a few Encores! beforehand and knew the drill. (FIORELLO! and ALLEGRO, I think? I may be wrong on the latter.) Never knew that! Thanks! Something new every day... 

Nick Cordero Theatre  Jul 9 2020, 10:11:29 AM

We'll probably get a Chicken McNugget Theatre before any of this. I mean, they couldn't even DIM THE LIGHTS for Marty Charnin, and ANNIE saved the Nederlanders in the same way CHORUS LINE saved the Shuberts. 

Nick Cordero Theatre  Jul 9 2020, 10:05:42 AM

henrikegerman said: "Is it disrespectful to ask: is there a single Broadway house named after any of the many prominent theatre artists who died of AIDS?"

No. I was just thinking that yesterday. As much as I admire so many of the people tragically felled by AIDS, I think the only person whose contributions would be worthy (in terms of longevity and influence) of a theatre named after him is Michael Bennett. But you raise an interesting point that crossed my mind, too

Grissom  Jul 1 2020, 02:38:45 PM

I agree with his premise. I don't really agree with his execution. 

...but I find the image of Edward Albee chucking a bag of "inspirational rocks" handed to him by Daryl Roth out a taxi window hilarious. JFC. 

Question about all the GYPSY revivals  Jun 25 2020, 10:35:27 AM

David10086 said: "Hard to believe they were each working on their second musical and came up with a masterpiece like GYPSY."

I do want to clarify that Jule Styne had written the music for HIGH BUTTON SHOES, a good portion of PETER PAN with Mary Martin, and of course, BELLS ARE RINGING among others, and that's nothing to slouch at. Certainly there are moments of tenderness and melancholy in BELLS ARE RINGING, but nothing quite as, god forgive me for using thi

You must log in to view off-topic posts.