Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for jimmycurry01

Member Name: jimmycurry01
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Disney Films That Would Make Awful Broadway Shows  Nov 20 2020, 06:47:12 PM

seahag2 said: "Cars the musical. Or even better, Cars 2 the musicals. Dear god.

And I think Snow White the musical would be a snooooozefest.
"

Wouldn't Cars: The Musical pretty much be Starlight Express?

Worth noting Snow White the Musical was already a thing. It played Radio City, and was even filmed and released on VHS.

Megan Mullally to star in Kathleen Marshall’s ANYTHING GOES in London  Nov 19 2020, 10:06:01 PM

ACL2006 said: "I'm not sure Mullally can tap, so maybe she'll be more of a LuPone type of Reno? Just seems like an odd choice."

The role wasn't really created for a tapper. Ethel Merman could certainly sing, and was a pretty good actress, but was not known for her dancing. I don't believe that most Renos were particularly strong dancers, Sutton Foster notwithstanding.

Is there any new talk about the future of BEETLEJUICE?  Nov 13 2020, 01:47:52 PM
There are a lot of kids here who don't understand how the business works. Even if the entire show was filmed to create the B-roll (it wasn't), they still would not be able to release it. Equity as well as the other unions, are very particular about publicity calls, and how footage or photos from publicity calls are used, and how people are paid for that footage. It is also incredibly difficult to get a show filmed for commercial release in the United States due to agreements with all of the unio

NBC will present THE GRINCH musical this December starring Morrison  Nov 11 2020, 06:55:01 PM

BJR said: "Wait, why are they using British performers?

British director, as well as director for TV, and writer. But the ensemble is from the West End? Don't we have plenty of American actors out of work? Is this filming in the UK, or where is the union?
"

Why are out of work American actors more important, or more in need of British actors to you?

NBC will present THE GRINCH musical this December starring Morrison  Nov 11 2020, 08:28:43 AM

BwayLB said: "^ I’m on the same page as you. I’m surprised he and Dennis are working together again after doing Once Upon A Mattress in 2005."

Why? Did they have a bad experience together? 

NBC will present THE GRINCH musical this December starring Morrison  Nov 10 2020, 12:51:04 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Theater Fans: We’re desperate for new things to watch!
NBC: Here’s “The Grinch” with Broadway people! Merry Christmas!
Theater Fans: Ugh he’s miscast, the show is awful, how are they getting away with this?!?!
"

It's pretty much the reaction I expected to find here. Broadway World at its finest.

The Disney Renaissance Formula  Oct 18 2020, 11:12:32 AM

BwayLB said: "The stage version of Aladdin is just as magical as the original."

Not in the slightest way is the stage version as magical as the original. The stage version is so tedious. The new songs and additions to the plot grind the show to a halt. With a better book, it could have been much more entertaining and magical.

Brian Dennhey in Death of Salesman - FREE!  Oct 16 2020, 08:51:55 AM
I love this production. I taped it off of Showtime way back when it first aired, and last year spent a stupid amount if money on a VHS Emmy consideration screener. It will be nice to see this in a nice crisp picture.

Now is the time to plan transitioning theatre to worldwide audiences.  Oct 10 2020, 08:58:57 AM
When an entire industry is absent for more than a year, it is time to start thinking outside the box if any of that industry is to survive. This pandemic will either force a change in the industry, or it will falter. We can deny it all we want, but the theatre industry has reached a crossroad. I feel the OP is correct. A transition is going to have to happen. The question is, what does that transition look like, and how will it be commercially viable. Theatre on film is such a niche market. Audi

Pricing memorabilia question  Oct 8 2020, 09:15:19 AM
If it is isn't the original cast, and there wasn't a big star involved, you'll be lucky to get $100 for it.

Pick a high price, also choose the lowest price that you are willing to part with it. List it at the high price, but allow buyers to make an offer. If it sells for the high price, great. If offers come in lower than your ideal low price, conter-offer, or reject the offer.

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Sep 30 2020, 11:08:49 PM
I was definitely impressed by this adaptation. My husband hated it. Jim Parsons is exceptionally nasty in his interpretation of Michael, which doesn't leave him with much space to build his character with, but I feel he made it work well enough. Joe Mantello's direction was impressive, and I enjoyed the supporting cast, for the most part. It doesn't beat the original film, but it is a very solid runner up.

Favourite Phantom?  Sep 24 2020, 12:56:26 PM
Rick Hilsabeck was my first. Although I was quite young at the time, I remember him very fondly. I really did enjoy Howard McMillin, he may be my favorite that have seen live. In terms of videos, Ramin is formidable, Davis Gaines is truly great, and Michael Crawford is incomparable.

The Sound of Music  Sep 23 2020, 08:33:09 PM
I think a big reason this hasn't seen many revivals on stage is because it is so often produced regionally. It isn't difficult to drive less than 50 miles to find a production for less than $50 a ticket. If i can do that, do I really feel like I need to cough up Broadway prices to see it? It would have to be made into an event in order do drum up enough interest to make it worth a big revival.

With that being said, I prefer the book for the stage version over the screenplay for the film

Vanity Fair First Look at WEST SIDE STORY film  Sep 18 2020, 05:53:38 PM

Musical Master said: "Why don't we wait and see what the studio will do first, because we all don't know what they'll do yet. If it's pushed back, it will be pushed back; if it stays in December 18th, it stays on December 18th."

You know what? You are right! Let's stop discussing everything on this discussion board. No more discussion at all, and certainly no more speculation! It's just so foolish of people to make inferences based on evidence

Time For A Gypsy Revival  Sep 6 2020, 12:03:55 PM
Time for a Gypsy revival?

Has it been ten minutes already?

Oklahoma subtext  Aug 31 2020, 12:43:18 PM

A Director said: "Wayman_Wong said: "Here's a link (below) to an article by Daniel Pollack-Pelzner at Oregon Artswatch.''The Hidden History of 'Oklahoma!'; Contemporary Reinterpretations of the Classic American Musical May Be Getting Back to Its Root: It's Based on a Play by a Gay Cherokee Man.''

It explores the background of Lynn Riggs, the gay Native American who wrote ''Green Grow the Lilacs,'' the basis of '&

An Italian theatre school's (literally) sanitised OKLAHOMA  Aug 15 2020, 09:51:48 AM

Tom5 said: "When I saw the subject heading I was prepared to be outraged. Whew."

Ha! That why we should quit using the word "literally" figuratively.

Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?  Aug 4 2020, 03:15:44 PM
The Last 5 Years worked pretty well; although, I'm not positive that that was actually Zoom.

Blithe Spirit was exceptionally lousy and under rehearsed. It was as if many of them had never read the script prior to the reading. If I had paid for it, I'd have been asking for a refund.

Will broadway or west end open first  Aug 1 2020, 12:21:54 PM
West End will certainly open first.

Jason Robert Brown is Working on a Musical Adaptation of A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN!  Jul 27 2020, 01:11:05 PM
JRB has a few songs that I really like, but as a Broadway composer, I don't get the draw. A lot of his scores feel bland and repetitious to me. I don't really think there needs to be a musical version of A League of their Own, and I think there is even less of a need for a musical version composed by JRB. Who knows, maybe this one will surprise me.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.