Profile for ortizki

Member Name: ortizki
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Nine Discussion Prompts: Final Thoughts, Outtakes  May 25 2020, 03:58:16 PM

Rereading The Untold Stories of Broadway: Volume 1 reignited my love for old Broadway theatre history. The last time I read this, I was a freshman in college in the fall of 2013. During the unprecedented time we're currently in, this book is exactly what we need. 

There was so much that I took away from reading this, but ultimately, it truly made me appreciate the doormen, ushers, box office treasurers, and stagehands at these theatres even more. Without them, there reall

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Eight Discussion Prompts: The Lyceum Theatre  May 18 2020, 03:09:07 PM

The Lyceum Theatre has always been sort of a mystery to me, mainly because I've never been to it, let alone have seen a show there. However, as a huge theatre history nerd, I really enjoyed reading this chapter. 

The one show that sticks out to me (because it was such a huge part of this chapter) would definitely have to be [title of show]. Although I've never seen it or heard the cast album before, the stories of camaraderie and love of theatre stick out to me. I

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Seven Discussion Prompts: The Mark Hellinger Theatre  May 11 2020, 12:58:19 PM

I love learning about lost Broadway theaters. Even though the Hellinger is no longer used as a theater, I'm glad that it's still standing and that the Times Square Church kept the beauty of the interior!

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to see a show there (the theater closed in 1989, and I was born six years later, in 1995!). I actually used to work across the street from the church, and never even thought to take a peek inside, or even take a stroll-by for that matt

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Six Discussion Prompts: The August Wilson Theatre  May 4 2020, 01:00:02 PM

I've only been to the August Wilson Theatre once (to see Mean Girls in 2018), but it definitely stands out to me as one of the more unique Broadway houses. 

Unfortunately, I did not get to see Jersey Boys at the August Wilson or the recent Off-Broadway revival, but I did get to see the show on tour at the Forrest Theatre in Philadelphia a few years ago. I love the music and the story. The movie was great, too!

I know a lot of people

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Five Discussion Prompts: The Neil Simon Theatre  Apr 27 2020, 12:58:24 PM

I loved reading about the Neil Simon Theatre, and so wish I would've had the chance to see a show there (however, I have walked by the theater several times when there were no audiences, and it was such a peaceful, yet powerful feeling)!

The first time I heard about Merrily We Roll Along was actually when I read this book for the first time when it was first released in 2013, my first semester of college! I immediately was intrigued with the whole s

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Four Discussion Prompts: The Al Hirschfeld Theatre  Apr 20 2020, 01:02:22 PM

I think the Al Hirschfeld is one of the hidden treasures of Broadway, which I think is so cool! Even though I've only seen Kinky Boots there (twice in 2018) I think the theater is special in terms of the design and the location.

Since there were so many musicals that played the Hirschfeld, there clearly have been so many cast recordings! Obviously, I love the Kinky Boots cast recording, along with everything about the show. I've also recently li

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Three Discussion Prompts: The Marquis Theatre  Apr 13 2020, 01:04:07 PM

The Marquis is probably one of my favorite Broadway houses, its in such a great location and super convenient, for several reasons. Spacious box office, no waiting outside in bad weather, easy access to restrooms, a place to eat before or after a show, and of course, the gorgeous interior of the theater. 

I loved hearing about Rey's different stories of the Marquis throughout his time there. It's incredible how one person could have so much knowledge about a building and a

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week Two Discussion Prompts: The Winter Garden Theatre  Apr 6 2020, 03:13:08 PM

I love the Winter Garden for several reasons. Even though I've only seen one show there, it was the first place I saw (and passed) as soon as I got off the subway to go to work, which was in the same office building as the Capezio store and Ellen's Stardust Diner. 

I think the Winter Garden has housed so many amazing shows through the years, that I truly would've liked to have seen so many that passed there, including Funny Girl  (with Barbra St

BroadwayWorld Book Club Week One Discussion Prompts: The Richard Rodgers Theatre  Mar 30 2020, 12:59:45 PM

Hi all! Super excited about this book club, The Untold Stories of Broadway are some of my favorite books!

I've seen three shows at the Richard Rodgers: Porgy & Bess in 2012, If/Then in 2014, and Hamilton in 2018. I loved seeing all three shows from different sections of the house. It made the theater all too familiar each time!

As a huge Lin-Manuel Miranda fan, I would've loved to have been at the Opening Night of In th

You must log in to view off-topic posts.