Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for KingOfTheMine

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
Member Name: KingOfTheMine
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2020 Tony Nominations Thread  Oct 15 2020, 12:21:56 PM
Even though there was obviously a lot of overlap for musicals, Jagged Little Pill leads with 15 nominations. 14 for Moulin Rouge and 12 for Tina.

Favourite Phantom?  Sep 22 2020, 09:43:24 AM
I might be biased since he was the first actor I saw as the Phantom, but Hugh Panaro has always been my favorite. He acts the role better than anyone else. I also really enjoyed Ben Crawford in the role. I've only seen clips, but John Owen-Jones is definitely one of my favorites vocally.

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Sep 21 2020, 11:20:12 AM
I started thinking about this year's virtual Tony's while watching the Emmy's last night, which I thought handled the current pandemic situation really well. It's now been a month since the American Theatre Wing announced the ceremony for the abbreviated 2019-2020 season. Does anyone know when we can expect more details on the ceremony or at least a general timeline for nominations and the awards?

Who are your Favorite Broadway Riffers?  Sep 8 2020, 04:29:13 PM
Alysha Umphress!

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 26 2020, 09:46:20 AM

Philly Theater Girl said: "Slightly off topic but, when it comes to the acting awards in a musical, how much consideration is given to an actor's singing ability vs acting? There are some leads in musicals who are much stronger singers than actors and vice versa."

This is highly situational.  I'd say the voters are looking at the sum total of a performance as opposed to singing or acting individually.  Just thinking of a few past winners,

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 21 2020, 06:58:41 PM

Since Girl from the North Country is ineligible, this will be the first year since 2014 that the Best Musical winner will not have had a critically successful run off-broadway before making the move to the Main Stem.

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 21 2020, 11:08:19 AM
Wow, definitely didn't see this one coming. It will be interesting to see how they handle this digitally. Glad that those shows and artists from earlier in the season will at least get some type of recognition / celebration for their work!

Musicals due for a revival  Aug 3 2020, 02:47:10 PM
City of Angels and Kiss of the Spider Woman are both due for a revival. There are also plenty of popular titles that haven't played Broadway for a surprisingly long time like Mame, Funny Girl, and Dreamgirls.

Greatest Song of All Time From a Musical  Jul 30 2020, 07:02:34 PM

There have been a lot of great suggestions so far in this thread!  I tried to narrow it down to just a couple of categories:

Golden Age musicals - If we're talking about the best "classic" musical theatre song, it's hard not to pick something from the Rodgers + Hammerstein catalog.  As a standalone song, I'd probably pick "Some Enchanted Evening."  In the context of the show it was written for, I'd go with "If I Loved You."&n

Phantom to change to  Jul 30 2020, 12:36:42 PM
Thanks joevitus. I can definitely see that interpretation as well. I think we're all just trying to read into the little information we actually have from CM and ALW. Ultimately, we'll get the answers to our questions once we see what the production looks like once it reopens.

Phantom to change to  Jul 30 2020, 09:09:17 AM
I don't think this most recent press release really changes anything. It just sounds like ALW is trying to word the announcement so they can hold onto the title of longest running musical in the West End. I'm sorry, but they're making changes to the physical production and shutting down the legal entity that has been running the show for decades. Regardless of how similar ALW insists the show will be to the original, it will be hard to call this the brilliant original.

Phantom to change to  Jul 29 2020, 07:46:36 AM
In response to the announcement from Mackintosh, ALW tweeted: "As far as I'm concerned Phantom will reopen as soon as is possible."
I wonder if ALW had any input in this decision. It seems from his public statements that it was done against his wishes.

Phantom to change to  Jul 29 2020, 07:31:57 AM

*Double post*

Phantom to change to  Jul 28 2020, 11:22:08 AM
I also read the announcement to mean that Phantom has played its last performance in London and any reopening will be considered a revival. One thing that might have spared the Broadway production is that the cost to close the current production, complete a load out, and load in the new production would be much higher here due to the strength of our unions. We usually complain about how high this makes our ticket prices by comparison, but maybe that's actually working in our favor in this case

Phantom to change to  Jul 28 2020, 08:46:20 AM
It definitely seems like this was the plan all along and Mackintosh is framing the closure as a financial necessity in order to save face. The question now is: what will the show look like in London whenever he brings it back? Might they be using elements from the UK tour and that's why that production is closing as well? And nothing mentioned in that announcement about the Broadway production, so what's next on this side of the pond?

Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?  Jul 27 2020, 04:04:43 PM
Honestly, I don't have much confidence in Disney on Broadway after Aladdin and Frozen. Both felt sterile and like Disney was just playing it safe. I still wish we could see what Alex Timbers would've done with Frozen. And those projects seem like more natural fits for the stage than Tangled. I found the film largely forgettable apart from a couple nice moments/songs. If they couldn't bank on the Frozen name and brand, would they really have much more luck with Tangled?

Phantom to change to  Jul 27 2020, 03:50:48 PM
For anyone interested, the Instagram post linked in this new BWW article has a few shots of the new proscenium and overall design of the international tour. Also interesting to see how the production has been working around the pandemic in Seoul.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Exclusive-How-THE-PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-Brought-Theatre-Back-to-Seoul-and-Is-Giving-Hope-to-Shows-Around-the-World-20200727

Best outdoor production you've seen?  Jul 25 2020, 11:31:37 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival, and I make a point of attending at least once every summer.  Not having the chance to visit Boscobel for a picnic and play under the tent has been one of the greatest theatrical casualties for me during the pandemic.  I've seen a lot of great plays there over the years.  The first Shakespeare play I ever saw was Much Ado About Nothing in 2009 at HVSF.  I was about 12 at the time, and I was hooked once N

Phantom to change to  Jul 22 2020, 02:26:18 PM

joevitus said: "Lot666 said: "joevitus said: "am I to understand nothing rises in the touring production? It's already up there in place? Doesn't that kinda kill the whole point of the dialogue leading into the Overture? Do you just sit there in the dark listening to the Overture?"

Yes, the chandelier becomes totally extraneous. Ridiculous, isn't it?
"

Hugely. And odd, since if the chandelier has to fall at the en

Favorite Christine Daae  Jul 21 2020, 07:57:25 PM

Phantom4ever said: "When I think of Christine, I always think of some interview I saw years ago when an actress was asked if she would want to play Christine on Broadway and she said that that would be like being a in a trance for 2 hours. But, that is how many actresses play it: scene after scene, they just have a look of either shock or stress on their face and that's it. But not Meghan Picerno."

Thanks for the report Phantom4ever.  I saw Meghan Picerno as

You must log in to view off-topic posts.