Profile for lachri5

Member Name: lachri5
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The inherent racism of Asian theatre companies?  Jun 19 2020, 11:36:42 AM

That example of Hairspray at least has a black actor. You should look at the 1988 Japanese production of Golden Boy, which is released on VHS. Some clips on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRiwSaLXZvQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw2RSQUXXDo 

Edited to remove the embedded black face image. You can see it here if you want: The inherent racism of Asian theatre companies?  Jun 19 2020, 11:26:26 AM

This is a genuine question, not rhetorical at all: what should an Asian theatre company do, with limited non-Asian actors to choose from, who can speak local language well enough that audience can understand, and can sing and dance well enough for the role?

1) hire people from overseas? where you still might not be able to find people with good language ability. 2) give people language lessons in hopes of being able to use them in... 6 months? 3) dual language production

What shows will we never see again on broadway  Jun 17 2020, 11:18:46 PM

In the 1951 film version of the Broadway musical Call Me Mister, there's a shockingly racist production number called Japanese Girl Like 'Merican Boy. The clip is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy_uFEQ1jzo To be fair, the song was never in the stage version. 

Why do Producers hate Bootlegs?  May 29 2020, 08:48:45 PM

I can't imagine a world where producers encourage bootlegs. A theatre full of camera lens like at a concert, and hundreds of versions of bootlegs show up every day on YouTube. No.

Kerry Butler: "Lincoln Center, make a deal with unions and broadcast your archive recordings"  May 28 2020, 12:04:23 AM

OffOnBwayHi said: "The people who own these recordings and are showing them are not showing them just to be nice... It's business first, always."

It's rare, but I think Dave Malloy showed Ghost Quartet just to be nice.

Ruin a Broadway Musical by Changing One Letter  May 24 2020, 03:12:31 PM

Soft Mower

The Most Hippy Fella

The Fight in the Piazza

Bunny Girl

The Cocky Horror Show

Ruin a Broadway Musical by Changing One Letter  May 24 2020, 01:20:15 AM
Rugs
King Street
My Favorite Bear

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 23 2020, 02:12:56 PM

OK, Rebecca and Nerds had materialized outside of Broadway. But I don't think the Lauren Ambrose Funny Girl played anywhere. Do revivals count?

Edit: Playbill has a list of upcoming Broadway shows, some from the "In the Works" section haven't materialized yet, Like Magic Mike. https://www.playbill.com/article/schedule-of-upcoming-and-announced-bro

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 23 2020, 11:48:41 AM

Rebecca, Nerds, Funny Girl revival

Shows You've Discovered (or Rediscovered) While in Quarantine  May 19 2020, 05:16:19 PM

Sometimes I shuffle through my entire digital collection of cast albums, and I stumbled upon this 1982 Off-Broadway revue of Alec Wilder's works called Clues to A Life. It's surprisingly charming and delightful. I have probably listened to Unbelievable/Give Me Time about 20 times since then. The song also reminds me of Tabu/Taking Care of the Ladies from LaChiusa Wild Party.

Stephen Sondheim has joined instagram  May 9 2020, 10:53:41 PM

How do you know this is the real thing?

Jay's ANYONE CAN WHISTLE recording is  May 7 2020, 10:17:36 AM

I'm shocked this is actually getting released.

Lucille Lortel Awards  May 4 2020, 12:08:50 AM

So happy for Edmund Donovan. He gave a Tony worthy performance in Greater Clements. And yay Octet!!!

Orchestra for Sondheim's 90th?  May 1 2020, 09:02:01 AM

The musicians are credited in the description of the YouTube video.

Buzzfeed's Broadway Musical Quiz  Apr 29 2020, 09:45:34 PM

Little Me was on Broadway twice, and buzzfeed wouldn't take it as an answer.

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy  Apr 29 2020, 05:12:20 PM

pollster2 said: "I can safely say that after the Great Comet debacle, I won't support anything that has Rafael Casal, Cynthia Erivo, or Oak attached to it."

Same. Although I wouldn't go so far as boycotting Cynthia Erivo (if she's involved in something I'm interested in, I will still see it), it's hard for me to appreciate her performance anymore.

Emptiest/Smallest Audiences at Broadway shows?  Apr 29 2020, 05:04:01 PM

When I saw Hand to God (loved it!), the house was so empty, they moved us from mezz to front orchestra. 

Meryl Streep, Patti LuPone, more to perform for virtual Sondheim 90th birthday celebration  Apr 21 2020, 06:50:18 PM

I hope they have better technology than the recent Rosie O'Donnell show. How difficult (pricey) is it to use whatever the late night talk shows have been using?

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020  Apr 20 2020, 01:09:42 AM

The West End theatres are closed until May 31st. Sunday was supposed to start preview on June 5th. Obviously the cast need to rehearse, the set needs to be built. Is it safe to say this is definitely going to be postponed if not canceled? I have tickets for one of the last performances in September. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to see it.

Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts  Apr 15 2020, 11:04:51 PM

For some reason, the second Marc Shaiman show wasn't listed in their YouTube channel, but here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDG8ylz5cUI

I had never heard of Jenifer Lewis, but she had me rolling with laughter, this is a must watch! She shows up about 46 minutes in.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.