Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for Wallman2

Member Name: Wallman2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Best Man - Spotlight on Plays - 10.14.2020  Oct 16 2020, 01:35:45 PM

Really liked it...one of the best Zoom readings I've seen.  And that cast:  Morgan Freeman, Matthew Broderick, John Malkovich, Phylica Rashad, Katie Finneran, Zachary Quinto-- pretty fabulous.  Vidal wrote some pretty nifty zingers.  Both Presidential candidates this year could have definitely used his style and wit as a speechwriter.  I highly recommend catching it.

Spotlight On Plays returns 10/14 with Patti LuPone, Morgan Freeman, Laurie Metcalf, Laura Linney & More  Oct 8 2020, 12:24:57 AM

Glad to see that three women directors are involved in the seven plays....that's not a bad percentage. Of  course, that's probably not good enough for Ms. Vogel who'd like 7 out of the 7.   I like the selection of plays, it's diverse and represents some of our best writers.  These are Benefits for the Actors Fund,  and because they are Benefits the selections are probably tailored to secure the widest audience.  I am especially looking

MUSIC MAN IN LAB  Sep 24 2020, 12:16:32 AM

The marquee has gone up, they are in a lab, people are buying tickets and...they're going to postpone...what again?  Big surprise.  The show's leading character has morphed into reality.   The producer is like Harold Hill, he's a con man, exciting us all and then delaying again to whet our appetite.  I look forward to seeing the show even if Hugh and Sutton are senior citizens when they do it!

NBC Broadway Special?  Aug 20 2020, 10:40:40 AM

Anything to the rumor that the Tonys will happen in late September/October, with a deadline cut off of February 17th, thus excluding the only musical revival ("West Side Story" and "The Girl From the North Country" until the 2021 Tonys.  It seems a little bit late in the game to be doing this-- when all the other major organizations recognized productions and performances this past spring.

OUR TOWN revival starring Dustin Hoffman; Bartlett Sher directs  Jul 1 2020, 09:34:37 AM

An opportunity to make Our Town truly be an Our Town and reflective of America today is missed here.  The leading role of the stage manager affords the possibility of casting a black actor and a female actor.  What about an Oprah Winfrey; a Queen Latifah; a Hallie Berry; a Whoopi Goldberg...or might the producer just be considering them as "stunt" replacements.  Why not start with one of those artists and then replace with a Dustin Hoffman!  If you announced that

SPOTLIGHT ON PLAYS Star-Studded Benefit Readings Begin Thursday 5/7  May 9 2020, 11:32:19 PM

Funny and relevant and smart.  Could have been written yesterday, it's so on topic.  Malkovich was masterful; I hope one day he'll come back to Broadway and Patti was just perfect as the speechwriter.  And Dylan Baker is such a wonderful actor.   A genuine surprise at what a treat it was.    

A Candid Conversation With Broadway League President Charlotte St. Martin: Future for Broadway.. what will it be like?  Apr 18 2020, 01:20:50 PM

I think realistically, in the best interests of  Broadway and its patrons, it would be advisable to wait and reopen  when the perception is that it is completely safe.   Too soon and even one incident happens relating to the virus and the fear factor in attending a Broadway show could be devastating.   Even if its after the first of the year, there still might be some concerns but certainly that's far enough away that we can be hopeful that enormous progress

The Minutes Preview Thread  Mar 5 2020, 06:48:25 AM

My reaction is completely different than the recent post.   The play is still fresh in my memory from the performance last night.   I credit the playwright for creating a funny (yes, many of the people around me were laughing a great deal at the machinations of the town council of Big Cherry), original, and finally frightening play.  And thought-provoking, especially in these times.  It's a first-rate production and all the actors make an indelible impression

SONDHEIM HYPOCRISY?  Feb 18 2020, 01:13:27 AM

Does anyone find it strange that Sondheim in his 60 Minutes interview (Overtime) talks about the validity of the reinterpretation of theatre works, especially the current  West Side Story and bringing it into the 21st Century when he wrote a diatribe against the revised Diane Paulus-Suzi Lori Parks production of "Porgy and Bess" without having seen it, arguing for the original's preservation.  Does anyone remember the mini cause celebre that resulted...I

Mary Louise Parker  Jan 11 2020, 11:34:30 PM

Is there a possibility that she will receive 2 Tony Nominations this spring- for "How I Learned to Drive" and "The Sound Inside"?  I suspect the other nominees will be Laurie Metcalf (Virginia Woolf), Laura Linney ("Lucy Barton" and Sarah Jessica Parker ("Plaza Suite"...maybe Debra Messing for "Birthday Candles".

Which Play to See?  Jan 11 2020, 11:19:57 PM

Mary-Louise Parker (Drive) and Laurie Metcalf (Virginia Woolf) are two of my favorite stage actresses, but I've just seen Ms. Parker (so wonderful) in "The Sound Inside" and I just saw Ms. Metcalf last spring (also wonderful in "Hilary and Clinton".   I hear "The Lehman Trilogy" is long (but good)-- 3 hours with three actors-- so I might choose that;  can't wait

Which of the 20 Broadway shows of the Spring 2020 season do you most want to see?  Jan 11 2020, 11:14:37 PM

Haven't seen Mamet's American Buffalo in a long time and the cast, Rockwell and Fishburne and Criss,  is pretty stellar.  If done well, it can be an incendiary evening of theatre.   That's high on my list.   Have heard really good things about "Lehman" and "The Minutes".   More intrigued by straight plays.   I saw Hangman two years ago at the Atlantic Theatre Company...it's a very fine play.
<

Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?  Oct 28 2019, 12:04:06 AM

I think the running time is close to 90 minutes.  I've always liked this play, for me it's right up there with "Speed the Plow", "Glengarry" and "Oleanna" (I wonder how "Oleanna" would play today).  If these three actors- Criss, Fishburne and Rockwell, are at the top of their game, this is gonna be a must-see.

Darren Criss Headed back to Broadway!?  Oct 23 2019, 10:22:35 PM

Love Darren.  He's so talented.  But I think he would want to challenge himself like he did with his terrific Versace performance last year.  I think after doing Broadway musicals that he'd probably choose a straight play.  I could see him doing an Albee (Nick in "Virginia Woolf", a Williams (he'd be a great Tom in "Menagerie"

Your Theatre Year In Review 2018  Dec 23 2018, 12:17:29 AM

I saw 40 productions in New York, plays and musicals.

Shows that I liked the most were:  The Boys in the Band, The Band's Visit, Lifespan of a Fact, My Fair Lady.

Shows that I liked the least were:  Oklahoma, The New One. Saint Joan, Bernhardt/Hamlet, Apologia

I was truly surprised by how funny and smart The Lifespan of a Fact was; I also think Daniel Radcliffe gave one of the best performances of the season.  That ensemble and The Boys in the Band, for

THE LIFESPAN OF A FACT Previews  Sep 21 2018, 09:01:17 AM

For me the play was a rare combination of intelligence and humor that not only had me laughing out loud frequently but was also thought-provoking. I think Daniel Radcliffe keeps growing in stature as an actor, and his performance here is the best I've seen him in New York.  He's intense, spirited, and throughly believable.  Both Cherry Jones and Bobby Cannavale are equally fine.  The audience was definitely with it and gave the play a sustained standing ovation.&nb

THE LIFESPAN OF A FACT Previews  Sep 21 2018, 09:01:16 AM

For me the play was a rare combination of intelligence and humor that not only had me laughing out loud frequently but was also thought-provoking. I think Daniel Radcliffe keeps growing in stature as an actor, and his performance here is the best I've seen him in New York.  He's intense, spirited, and throughly believable.  Both Cherry Jones and Bobby Cannavale are equally fine.  The audience was definitely with it and gave the play a sustained standing ovation.&nb

THE YEAR OF THE PLAY?  Sep 8 2018, 12:36:10 AM

Last year there was a paucity of new plays on Broadway, but this year consider the potential feast:    The Ferryman by Jez Butterworth;  To Kill a Mockingbird by Aaron Sorkin;  a new play by Lucas Hnath about Hilary Clinton (final opening of the season on April 25th);  Network by Lee Hall;  The Inheritance, The Lifespan of a Fact, American Son all introducing new American playwrights to Broadway;  Ink by James Graham about Rupert Murdoch; a new play about th

beetlejuice  Sep 6 2018, 06:02:13 PM

Excited about this. Alex Timbers is one of the most inventive and imaginative directors.   Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?

NETWORK-NATIONAL THEATRE BENEFIT  Sep 5 2018, 02:28:27 PM

Do I detect some xenophobia here?  .  Actually we should be supportive of our non-profits here and it's somewhat revealing that the National will be involved in what might be one of the highest priced tickets for a straight play ever...$199 for regular orch seating according to Telecharge.   Given the economics of  "Network"(a $7 million plus budget), I doubt there will be

You must log in to view off-topic posts.