Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for goodlead

Member Name: goodlead
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Bobby Cannavale and Marisa Tomei in streaming of Three Hotels  Jan 13 2021, 05:24:11 PM
I saw it on stage. It sounds good, but it's not,.

Netflix's THE PROM official thread/reviews/reactions  Dec 19 2020, 03:00:00 PM
Two of the best scenes were the quiet ones with the grandmother and with Barry's mother. They were oases of calm among the prevailing flamboyance.

Party with Betty Comden and Adolph Green  Dec 4 2020, 01:44:20 PM
Lena Horne was originally set to co-star with Bert Lahr, but it turned out to be Delores Gray instead. However, when Betty sings "Catch Our Act at the Met," she does a terrific imitation of Lena Horne..

Brian Dennhey in Death of Salesman - FREE!  Oct 26 2020, 11:30:17 AM
Outstanding and excruciating performances by the whole cast. It fits the Aristotelian definition of tragedy, evoking terror and pity.

Your First Broadway Musical Recording  Oct 22 2020, 07:58:31 PM
My mother told me that when I was 2, I would stand in front of the record player and listen to the OBC of "Oklahoma!"

Color-blind and gender-blind casting  Oct 17 2020, 01:19:23 PM

We are becoming more accustomed to color-blind casting, but what are its limitations? There are black plays and musicals that would seem ridiculous if white actors were cast in them, such as “A Raisin in the Sun,” “Dreamgirls,” and of course “Porgy and Bess.” But are there white plays where a black actor would subvert the play?

One example is “A Streetcar Named Desire.” What if a black actor played Stanley? Wouldn’t the subtext then

The Best Man - Spotlight on Plays - 10.14.2020  Oct 15 2020, 09:20:22 PM
I watched this today after not having seen it for a long time and was amazed at how prescient it was. It forecast events like JFK's sleeping around (not really forecast as it was known already), the JJFK-LBJ team of rivals, the Eagleton withdrawal from McGovern's ticket, all of Nixon's tricks, and of course TRUMP.

For a 60-year-old play, it remains crucially relevant.

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Oct 4 2020, 02:42:56 PM

I thought the original film was better for the first half of the play.  Wittier, zingier than in the new version.  But I thought the telephone scenes were better in the new one.  The original was played at fever pitch and went over the top.  This one was quieter, more realistic, and therefore had a greater dramatic impact

What contemporary plays include a young male character, around the ages of 12-18?  Sep 24 2020, 08:27:31 PM
Torch Song Trilogy

Who was the best Amanda Wingfield?  Sep 17 2020, 08:19:56 PM
Larry D2 --

I completely agree about Malkovitch. He made it clear that he wasn't just going to the movies.

Who was the best Amanda Wingfield?  Sep 17 2020, 04:29:51 PM
I've been watching Joanne Woodward's version, but there have been so many notable actresses playing Amanda, and I wonder who people think was the best.

Possibilities (from Broadway and television) include:

Maureen Stapleton
Jessica Tandy
Julie Harris
Jessica Lange
Sally Field
Cherry Jones
Katharine Hepburn
Joanne Woodward

I assume no one on this board saw Laurette Taylor or perhaps even Gertrude Lawrence in the first movie versiun.

Michael Sheen To Star in Live Streamed FAITH HEALER This Month  Sep 3 2020, 06:43:58 PM
I also saw James Mason in The Faith Healer. I'm a big fan of his, but the production didn't land much of a punch. Perhaps the theater (the Longacre) was too lorge because I saw another production at a smaller theater in San Diego that was so good I went back a second time.

re: What's a Charm Song?  Aug 31 2020, 06:39:22 PM
In the first year of the BMI Workshop conducted by Lehman Engle, participants were supposed to write three types of songs:: ballads and comedy songs as well as charm songs. Engle saw those as the three most common and useful types of theater songs. Another musical comedy expert, I don't know the name, proposed a different typology, including the ""I Am" song and the 'I Want Song," and probably others. They are both slicing the same apple using different knives.

re: What's a Charm Song?  Aug 31 2020, 06:39:20 PM
In the first year of the BMI Workshop conducted by Lehman Engle, participants were supposed to write three types of songs:: ballads and comedy songs as well as charm songs. Engle saw those as the three most common and useful types of theater songs. Another musical comedy expert, I don't know the name, proposed a different typology, including the ""I Am" song and the 'I Want Song," and probably others. They are both slicing the same apple using different knives.

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 21 2020, 04:50:09 PM
Very few performers get billing above the title these day. The producers want to emphasize the show because the stars (those billed above) may -- horrors! -- leave.

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall  Aug 21 2020, 04:50:08 PM
Very few performers get billing above the title these day. The producers want to emphasize the show because the stars (those billed above) may -- horrors! -- leave.

What Are Great Musical Roles That Don’t Sing Much  Jul 14 2020, 02:06:26 PM

Fiorello in "Fiorello."

Question about all the GYPSY revivals  Jul 3 2020, 10:45:07 AM

Agree.  Agree!

Your First Broadway Show  Jun 14 2020, 01:51:43 PM

"My Fair Lady" with the original Broadway cast, Harrison and Andrews.  We wrote ahead asking for tickets to the first available Saturday matinee.  Our tickets were for six months hence, Nov. 1956.  We listened to the album until we could decipher the strange English accents and learned the songs by heart.  When the day finally arrived, we walked down Broadway to 51st St.  I was so excited to see the marquee that I ran to the theater.

Whas has Nina Arianda been doing?  Jun 10 2020, 01:29:31 PM

I haven't read anything about her for a long time.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.