Profile for Menken Fan

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Member Name: Menken Fan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Live in Chicago. Travel to NYC often.

Have seen just about every musical on Broadway in the past 30 years.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Chris Jones' Pessimistic Outlook for Chicago and NYC Entertainment  May 8 2020, 12:26:05 AM

I agree that the overall ‘doom’ outlook may be overblown. But I think the point about many, maybe most, smaller and mid-size theatre groups not returning after the pandemic is valid. 

Chris Jones' Pessimistic Outlook for Chicago and NYC Entertainment  May 7 2020, 10:51:08 PM

I'm afraid he's probably right.

"Few can figure out a way to fully quarantine actors or musicians who must tour, to avoid lawsuits filed by audience members who might get sick, or to make the economics of performance work with a 25 percent capacity. Even fewer of them can envisage taking audience temperatures in protective gear in the lobby and ejecting the fevered (instantly refunding their entire party?) while preserving a fun and cheery night out for everyone else."

Emptiest/Smallest Audiences at Broadway shows?  Apr 29 2020, 07:55:12 PM

I went to see Urban Cowboy after the reviews came out.  I don't think there were more than 100 people in the audience.  We all moved down front.  It was very echo-y in the house that night.

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw  Apr 28 2020, 11:26:15 PM

I can't believe I haven't seen anyone mention James Joyce's The Dead. I don't think there was an intermission to escape.  My friends and I literally ran away from the theatre when it ended.

Caroline O’Connor in Teatro ZinZanni(Chicago)  Feb 24 2020, 12:05:25 AM

Saw Teatro ZinZanni tonight and talked with Caroline afterwards. She was great in the show and had about four featured performances, including an Edith Piaf medley and a song about the tomato soup we were about to enjoy. She mentioned after that she was headed back to Australia soon to star in 9 to 5, which starts mid-April, so she probably won’t be in this show for too long. 

She also said she hadn’t see the Moulin Rouge musical but heard that Robyn Hurder

Caroline O’Connor in Teatro ZinZanni(Chicago)  Feb 21 2020, 10:40:07 PM

My friends talked me into getting tickets for this Sunday.  Was dreading it, and now I'm slightly anticipating it.  I wonder how featured she is.

Thoughts on Back to the Future The Musical?  Feb 20 2020, 07:56:32 PM

Reading all the first performance thoughts at BTTF Musical Twitter

Lots of raving and not a single pan that I can see.

CHILDREN OF EDEN FINALLY!  Feb 12 2020, 08:16:57 PM

Brian Justin Crum from America's Got Talent, We Will Rock You, Wicked and Next to Normal is also in it.  No one else has been announced as far as I can tell.

Cast and Creative

Loudest gasp you've heard in the theatre  Feb 12 2020, 08:13:14 PM

Jumping on the pile with the end of Act 1 in Proof.  That sticks with me many years later.

Runner-up: In Torch Song Trilogy, when Arnold's mother says she would have aborted him if she knew he would turn out to be gay.  Devastating.

The Original Grease  Feb 8 2020, 08:44:11 PM

That production was in 2011 at the now defunct American Theater Company. It was pretty interesting to see.

Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?  Jan 1 2020, 12:02:59 AM

I’ve seen just about every musical of the decade. I can’t think of many shows more un-sit-through-able than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Such  possibilities, and that’s what they ended up with??

Close runner ups: Amazing Grace and Summer. And that Dirty Dancing tour was unforgivable. 

WICKED to welcome its first trans actor!  Sep 26 2019, 09:05:36 AM

If only she could play Morrible as Katherine Hepburn!  If you're not familiar with Alex, do yourself a favor and check out Katie's Corner How to Make Pumpkin Pancakes . She's a nut, in the best way.

WICKED to welcome its first trans actor!  Sep 26 2019, 12:03:21 AM

This casting is inspired, and I'm so excited for Alex.  I've been a huge fan since her days in Chicago killing it in Vampire Lesbians of Sodom back in 1990.  She's an amazingly funny actress, and I hope some of that comes through in Wicked. Guess I'll need to drag myself back to Wicked next year...

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jun 29 2019, 05:20:54 PM

RedDina said: "How was the line to get in? It looked absolutely crazy yesterday and I’m seeing it tonight. Should I get there earlier, or come at 7:50 and hope if there’s a queue they wait until we’re all in to start the show lol"

The line moves a little more slowly than at other shows, since there are metal detectors that everyone goes through after emptying pockets and searching bags. I think the metal detectors are an ATG thing (like the exo

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jun 29 2019, 08:04:10 AM

MakeThemHearYou2 said: "Could someone please summarize the changes made between Boston and Broadway? Any song additions/cuts other than 'Shake It Out'?"

The opening Lady Marmalade number now has a significant piece of Burning Down the House in it. I was wondering if that might be a reference to the actual Moulin Rouge fire in the early 1900s, or I could be reading too much into it. 

Also, in the scene at Champs-Élysées,

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jun 28 2019, 11:24:03 PM

Shake It Out is a Florence and the Machine song, which Danny performed in Boston.

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jun 28 2019, 11:22:36 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Ugh. So the tango is still not in the show?! And apparently according to Twitter, still no Teen Spirit or Danny’s other solo in the beginning of the movie. So glad Shake It Out is gone."

No, Roxanne doesn't even come close to the version in the movie, which I think is one of the most incredible movie scenes ever.

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jun 28 2019, 11:15:20 PM

I loved the show in Boston and loved it just as much tonight.  I noticed some changes, but nothing drastic.  Yes, Firework is still there, but Shake It Out is gone and that scene is much shorter.  However, Danny Burstein is now in the next scene to begin Chandelier, which is great.  The Bad Romance medley stopped the show. Aaron sounded better than in Boston and killed Roxanne, even though I still wish the Argentinian had that song.

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jun 28 2019, 06:05:38 PM
Enjoyed this a lot in Boston twice. Just scored tix for tonight and anxious to see the changes for NY!

WEST SIDE STORY: Lyric Opera of Chicago  May 27 2019, 12:14:52 AM

I saw this today and thought it was a fairly strong production that stuck pretty closely to what you’d expect. I was a bit confused by a few odd anachronisms. One character flossing near the beginning? A photo of Justice Sotomayor on the wall of Maria’s room? Anyone else notice things like that and understand why?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.