Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for OlBlueEyes

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
Member Name: OlBlueEyes
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Saddest Broadway Songs  Jan 19 2021, 02:35:36 AM

"It Never Was You"  Kurt Weill  Maxwell Anderson 

Judy Garland from I Could Go On Singing

Mobile link

https://youtu.be/IQlwINqlHFE

Favorite West Side Story song?  Dec 29 2020, 09:23:45 AM

Just the old balcony scene. Hard for any couple to perform this poorly.

Accelerando

"Tonight, Tonight, The World is Full of Light

With Suns and Moons All over the Place."

So many choices. This couple has been in the news lately. Sutton's concert, at which I wish I had been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcMtoOze7-4

Rebecca Luker Has Passed Away  Dec 24 2020, 01:50:43 AM

I had a great crush on Rebecca when she came to New York with the famed Prince Show Boat. She sang Magnolia so beautifully and was nominated for Best Actress Musical but unfortunately was up against Glenn Close for Sunset Boulevard. I shared her love for Jerome Kern and I often listen to her 2013 (that long ago?) recording "I Got Love," a treasure of Kern songs well known and a few not so well known.

I don't think anyone has mentioned her performance

Best Broadway Songs for the Piano? Wedding Ceremony  Dec 18 2020, 09:02:02 AM

Not likely what you had in mind for walking down the aisle, but maybe after ceremony when you're walking up the aisle.

Genius George and a master Broadway song on the piano.

https://youtu.be/oQdeTbUDCiw?t=94

How do you feel about Broadway stars performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?  Dec 5 2020, 11:06:16 AM

In the spirit of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who wept on the Supreme Court bench when Chief Justice Roberts announced the death of the husband of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Justice Ginsburg, who on the death of Scalia called him her "best buddy," you should try not to hate someone with whom you differ on an issue, even an important issue (genocide excepted). 

They are more likely to moderate their position on an issue for friends then they are i

What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?  Dec 4 2020, 10:26:08 PM

What’s also interesting about the show is that it’s critical of America’s treatment of veterans and insensitivity to PTSD while still being incredibly patriotic and honoring those who served in our military. I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a following among conservative theatregoers.

I don't know if Bandstand was around long enough to develop much of a following with anyone. 

But it has received official recognition f

What musicals still need to be revived through ENCORES?  Dec 4 2020, 09:15:43 PM

CarlosAlberto said: ""Promises, Promises" - they did it in the 1990s with Martin Short, Christine Baranski, and Kerry O'Malley, but I wish they would do it again if only to wash out the bad tastethat woefully miscast and executed 2009 revival left in my mouth!"

Promises was most certainly not the place for Kristin Chenoweth to display her serious acting side, and quite a few left at intermission, but if they left they missed about a half hour of non-sto

Hellen Mirren Against Reading Shakespeare in Schools  Dec 4 2020, 02:35:12 PM

I think that your separating and independently examining Shakespeare's tragedies and comedies and histories is very relevant.in examining his life's work.

If Shakespeare had only written his comedies and histories and sonnets, would he have lasted for over 400 years? I don't think so. His comedies have never been of much interest to me, but since they are brand name Shakespeare, many feel that they must be worth staging.

Hellen Mirren Against Reading Shakespeare in Schools  Dec 4 2020, 02:17:24 PM

They are written in an early form of modern English using and avalanche of words and phrases that don't exist anymore, and reference things that were common knowledge in 16th century England but which that no modern reader or audience member could possibly know about..

How is this difficult to understand. I'm sure there are others who have expressed weariness and disillusionment with life as well, but not many.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomo

Hellen Mirren Against Reading Shakespeare in Schools  Dec 4 2020, 11:19:31 AM

I, too, appreciate Hellen and all her friends here for entertaining and informative thread that brought back relatively rare good memories of high school and discovering Shakespeare through Macbeth, Othello and Julius Caesar.("Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much."

Joevitus really in top form.

What shows do you think Encores will revive 20 years from now?  Dec 4 2020, 11:03:16 AM

Bandstand

Groundhog Day

Bridges of Madison County

Groundhog Day - For sure

Bridges - Yes, but before then I'm looking for a lavish 10th anniversary concert production.

No way that Kelli O'Hara is not going to play her favorite role again before she gets too much older. Everyone now wants to hear that score.sung.

Bandstand - I have just a thought that this show may stick around to be brought back on Veterans&

What musicals still need to be revived through ENCORES?  Dec 4 2020, 09:05:08 AM

The last time this came up I think someone nominated Anthony Newley's 1962 Stop The World

"Once in a Lifetime"

"Gonna Build a Mountain"

"What Kind of Fool An I"

Good friends Anthony Newley and Sammy Davis

Hellen Mirren Against Reading Shakespeare in Schools  Nov 28 2020, 10:53:16 PM

I really hope they don't reduce it, but then American schools (even colleges) seem to earnestly want to evolve into trade schools, so I can't say I'm surprised. The idea of teaching beauty and finding the truths meaningful to oneself in works of art and beauty is the least of their concerns. 

Nice.

In school we used books by a publisher I can't remember that had the text of the play on the right page and notes explaining what we might not understand

Hellen Mirren Against Reading Shakespeare in Schools  Nov 26 2020, 07:52:00 AM

It was probably ninth grade when my so-called advanced English class started reading Shakespeare. We loved it. Had so much fun with all the famous quotes. For a few weeks after we would go around quoting Shakespeare from out of the blue: “Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look, he thinks too much. Such men are dangerous.”

We thought this was hilarious and on March 15 we would go around saying “Beware the Ides of March” and our 11th grade English teacher ma

Audra McDonald in CAROUSEL  Nov 23 2020, 09:51:08 PM

I am a big fan of Kelli O’Hara and I thought that her solo performance at Carnegie Hall, which was full of warm moments, was the pinnacle of live performances.

But when I made the solo trip into Manhattan on a cold winter day to see Audra perform with the New York Philharmonic, I immediately understood what all the fuss was about.

That hard to define presence, that intimate sharing with the audience, and that special voice put her at the top. When she put down the mike and

2021 now looking bleak for potential U.S. theater reopening  Nov 21 2020, 11:49:44 PM

In New York, with so many of the most vulnerable in nursing homes and assisted living centers having been taken in the first wave, I would be surprised if deaths reached those levels again.

But a friend is telling us that his still young daughter has COVID for the second time, and from the way he diverts questions about how she is doing I infer that she is not having an easy time.

Laura Osnes & Aaron Tveit sing 'Winter Wonderland' to promote their new Hallmark 'Holiday' movie on Oct. 31  Nov 19 2020, 09:42:16 PM

I also prefer having them on in the background as opposed to news channels going on about Covid deaths or Donald J Trump.

The wisest statement made on the subject.

Everyone is allowed a few guilty pleasures. One of mine is Elizabeth Shue’s Adventures in Babysitting. Love the opening scene where she Dresses for her date accompanied by Phil Spector’s “Then He Kissed Me.”

2021 now looking bleak for potential U.S. theater reopening  Nov 18 2020, 02:02:44 AM

HogansHero said: "I loved that book. I hadn't thought of it in years but I'm sure I still have it around here somewhere. As you know, one of her theses is a parallel between that century and the 20th (especially the part in which she was most interested). She has several other books focused mostly on the period before WWI, all very interesting, though Guns is obviously the masterpiece."

Over the years I've read Guns of August twice and listened t

Laura Osnes & Aaron Tveit sing 'Winter Wonderland' to promote their new Hallmark 'Holiday' movie on Oct. 31  Nov 17 2020, 06:07:39 PM

One has to believe in the magic of Christmas and put their critical hats aside in order to enjoy Hallmark movies. 

I don't want to be known as the Grinch that stole Hallmark. They have their place, if limited. I'll bet even serial Hallmark watchers tire of them after a couple of years. Nothing unpredictable happens. In pre-Oklahoma musicals there was often no story, but it least they had all those great songs. You got to hear Merman belt out "An

UNDERRATTED SHOWS  Nov 16 2020, 11:21:30 AM

I just hope Tiktok or something breathes life into the non-existent fanbase, possibly bringing it back to broadway.

If all of Jeremy's fan-girls kicked in a nickel, Bonnie and Clyde, could buy they theater it reopened in.

Shot a video at 54 Below (they encourage it) of Jeremy and Betsy Wolfe singing "Suddenly Seymour" and fourteen hours later it had over 4000 views. Video put up at the same time of Betsy solo had 160.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.