Profile for Joshua Rosenthal

Member Name: Joshua Rosenthal
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 2 2020, 07:59:48 PM
First that comes to mind is Hairspray (2007). Maybe I’m biased bc I grew up on this movie but now after seeing many bootlegs I find myself drawn to the movie more regardless, however everyone in any cast is amazing. I just think that the movie cast is so great And well-casted. And this may be an unpopular opinion, but John Travolta is actually my favorite Edna.

Your First Broadway Show  Jun 25 2020, 02:08:49 AM
The Lion King:
I think it was the last day of school in fourth grade for me (2012) and I don’t recall knowing about it before and being surprised to be called out of class early and my mom, sister, sole family friends and I were off to the city to see The Lion King and I was blown away. I don’t remember if I knew About it beforehand but I still remember some scenes and being in love with it all the way.

Your First Broadway Show  Jun 25 2020, 02:08:48 AM
The Lion King:
I think it was the last day of school in fourth grade for me (2012) and I don’t recall knowing about it before and being surprised to be called out of class early and my mom, sister, sole family friends and I were off to the city to see The Lion King and I was blown away. I don’t remember if I knew About it beforehand but I still remember some scenes and being in love with it all the way.

Unpopular theatre opinions  Jun 24 2020, 03:53:53 PM

Sutton Ross said: "He's 26, young looking, and his Dad is producing. He is going to play Evan whether anyone likes it or not."

I didn’t wanna pull the “His dad is the producer” card but it’d also something I’ve been thinking About in being a reason as to why he’s reprising his role as the titular character. I’d like to think that it isn’t a reasons as to why he’s reprising the role, however idk, it’s not

Unpopular theatre opinions  Jun 19 2020, 06:47:32 PM
Another one: I don’t think Ben Platt should play Evan Hansen again in the movie. He’s very talented but too old. ESPECIALLY with facial hair where he then looks more his age. I suppose he looks younger without it but even then, still. I feel like having someone closer to a teen than they are to being 30, or better yet, an actual *gasp* TEEN play the part. Someone who resembles a teen

Unpopular theatre opinions  Jun 17 2020, 08:16:04 PM
Hamilton, Newsies, Heathers, Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, The Phantom of the Opera, Amongst others that I cannot think of right now are overrated. They’re great and all but I’m just tired of hearing so much About them when there is so much stuff that deserves much more attention.

King Kong’s music, lyrics, and book are also incredible. I saw the show 4 times (2nd preview, a week after, January, and 2nd-to-last-performance) so I’ve seen the show change over time and I loved every ve

Unpopular theatre opinions  Jun 17 2020, 08:16:02 PM
Hamilton, Newsies, Heathers, Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, The Phantom of the Opera, Amongst others that I cannot think of right now are overrated. They’re great and all but I’m just tired of hearing so much About them when there is so much stuff that deserves much more attention.

King Kong’s music, lyrics, and book are also incredible. I saw the show 4 times (2nd preview, a week after, January, and 2nd-to-last-performance) so I’ve seen the show change over time and I loved every ve

Actors being fired / replaced  May 19 2020, 03:54:58 AM
The late Barbara Cook, who played Margaret White in Carrie had quit the out-of-town tryout of Carrie back in 1988 after she was almost decapitated by a car set piece (I believe it was a car set piece used in the song Don’t Stop the Moon. Betty Buckley replaces Cook for the Broadway version.

Vanessa Williams was originally said/listed to play Queenie in Michael John LaChiusa’s The Wild Party, however she eventually was pregnant so the role went to Toni Collette. Collette nailed the rol

Carrie  May 10 2020, 03:19:03 AM

ARTc3 said: "Thank you so much for creating this. I saw Carrie on Broadway and although I understand why it didn't work, there were things about that performance that have haunted me. I have a recording taken from the sound booth, but little more, than today…

Wow!

Thank you
"

So cool and jealous that you got to see it! Can you tell me about the experience? Also what the tie show set/curtain was like if you remember haha

New Shows to do in the Round?  May 10 2020, 03:16:12 AM

Broadway Buddy said: "What about Come From Away? That would be pretty interesting to see. I would pay to see that! Or even something like Spongebob. That would be a lot of fun!"

Yes!

New Shows to do in the Round?  May 8 2020, 03:14:47 PM
I think Pippin would be AMAZING on the Round! The preshow set could be like a bare traveling circus would be, a sand lot with the Props, colorful stumps and landing pads, etc. Set out, and the walls of the theatre covered in colorful tent fabric. Additionally I think Into the Woods ans Legally Blonde (might be more of a challenge but still), would be great to see in the round. Lemme know what yall think!

Tootsie Tour That Would Have Been  May 7 2020, 04:05:35 PM

RippedMan said: "Some of the former Union tour cast members are coming out and posting about it. Any idea who was cast as the leads?"

I believe this is the first I’m hearing of this. Do you know if it will be coming once this is all done and over with and it is safe for society to fully reopen again?

Musical/Play Conspiracy Theories?  May 7 2020, 05:34:17 AM
I feel Ike there should be an entire thread just for Pippin given the depth of the show in every corner of the show (see what I did there?), but what are your others? One that I have, and this may just be me being really slow in realizing this or maybe its a new thought, but that Mean Girls is literally a razzle-dazzle-ized retelling is the year in a slideshow (or a flashback, however sucks its through the theatrical Damians mind, thats why there is singing and dancing as well). The slideshow wo

People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show?  May 7 2020, 04:12:12 AM

jpbran said: "Only ones I've seen that will truly"live in infamy" would probably be Pirate Queen, King Kong, Lestat, Spider-Man and Cry-Baby. Cry-Baby and Pirate Queen were just lame bores, but the others were jaw-dropping in a"still glad I saw them even while cringing" kinda way."

I saw King Kong 4 times and I loved all of it! lol I saw ur early in previews (2nd and a week later), and post-opening, including the second to last performance

Favorite Curtains (/First-Impression Sets)?  May 6 2020, 01:30:01 AM
I know this thread exists, however it is a bit dated considering that there have been many shows since then. Likewise, this is a fun way to look back on theatre so far in a simple aspect I feel is overlooked often: the first impression. The curtain or set one sees upon ever wrong the theatre. So whats your favorite theatre curtain/first-impression set? I have many, however I LOVE the curtain for Hairspray, Legally Blonde, Escape to Margaritaville, etc. I cant seem to upload photos just now so I

Playbill stopped publishing song lists?  May 6 2020, 01:17:11 AM

CapnHook said: "How about you just sit back, be an active listener, and watch the show. Why do you need to distract yourself and others during the show?"

If it’s a particularly boring show, if I’m tired, feel cramped and wanna stand up, or any other reason, I’ve checked the Playbill. Likewise, for songs that I really like, It would he nice to track the in the playbill. Can’t do that if they’re not listed though, and it’s very

People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show?  May 6 2020, 01:06:15 AM

ARTc3 said: "So many… Dude, Via Galactica, Carrie, Merrily We Roll Along, Something's Afoot, Got Tu Go Disco, Marilyn, A History of the American Film, Brooklyn, In My Life, Big Deal, Chess… the wild part is some of them were really good, or had very interesting aspects."

You got to see these? If so you HAVE to tell me more!! I’d love to hear About one’s true experience with these shows. Via Galactica is an inter sing Ike considering it w

People Who Saw Shows That Now Live In Infamy, What Was Your Experience At Said Show?  May 5 2020, 12:25:47 PM

I think Gettin the Band Back Together is one. Saw it for its final preview. I had a great time with my dad there and we moved from 6th row orchestra to centre orch. Great time, but theres something that just didntclick with me and Im not sure what. People from the town the show takes place in also liked it from my memory, I might be wrong. Shows I wish I saw are Carrie (198, Wonderland, Brooklyn, Kelly

re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.  May 4 2020, 10:37:24 AM

Aigoo said: "I totally agree with Anastasia. Mulan...I'm not so sure about, but it might work.

Actually, the first kind of books that just popped into my head were those sort of...teen boppy books.
i.e. Angus, Thongs, Full Frontal Snogging...The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things.

I don't know why. It'd be incredibly difficult to adapt (I particularly like the second book better)

Maybe it wasn't rig

re: Books or movies that would make great musicals.  May 4 2020, 10:30:29 AM

emo_geek said: "Matilda"

Oh how this would age so well <3

You must log in to view off-topic posts.