Profile for BuddyStarr

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
Member Name: BuddyStarr
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Dec 5 2019, 01:34:06 PM

I enjoyed the PBS version more than I did the OBC.  I thought Charlie was spot on and Lola didn't annoy me like Billy Porter's portrayal of him.  The choreography seemed a bit simplistic in parts, especially in the finale, which I don't recall from my first experience.  I also found the guys much hotter in this version than the OBC.

Lara Spencer Laughs at boys in ballet  Aug 26 2019, 10:21:59 AM

I was torn on  this issue.  I had heard the ramblings or people saying that it was bullying, etc... so I caught the segment on youtube.  My initial impressions weren't so much anger at Lara Spenser but the other hosts and the audience.  Lara hosts a show call "Flea Market Flip" and has had gay people on that show many times.  After watching the segment I didn't take her laughter as making fun of a boy taking ballet but laughing that in addition to al

Apparently there are worse things than cell phone usage in the theatre  Aug 17 2019, 10:50:59 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "In London a couple months ago, there was an all out fist fight during a West End show, I saw. That was a first for me.

And I know I’ve told this story before but when I saw “A Catered Affair” in 2008(?), I noticed something weird from the corner of my eye and looked over and saw the guy next to me was getting a hand job from the woman he was with.
"

Was the show that “HOT”?

Was Evan Hansen punished enough for his sin?  Aug 13 2019, 09:20:03 AM

Enjoying this thread and I just saw the touring company (won two lottery tickets) and I was amazed how different the show is with another Evan.  While I had issues with the original production, Ben Platt had a way of generating empathy for him.  His acting choices were also more natural that some of the lies he spouted were just coming out of him out of nerves.  The actor on tour (the one doing the matinees and select evening performances) didn't quite capture the same mome

Bi-Level Sets  Aug 5 2019, 03:24:19 PM

The set design for "Best Little Whore House in Texas" also calls for a bi-level set with parts of the second level seen from below and other parts separate.

Dear Evan Hansen Touring - Chicago thoughts  Aug 5 2019, 09:57:32 AM

kishane said: "Well, I posted because I felt I was the only one that felt that it wasn't as emotional or as good as I remember being on my second rewatch. I know others have loved the tour but the people in my section definitely had more muted reactions. My tickets in NY were standing room tickets which in the MusicBox is closer as it is a smaller theatre than the what is the Nederlander theater. Ah well, I'll just chalk it up to a difference in opinion. The tour has been a s

Sunset Blvd - From Movie to Musical  Aug 2 2019, 02:23:05 PM

This is interesting.  I didn't know it was a documentary.  I have a book that is essentially the same thing, except it was done when the show originally started in London.  I'm guessing ALW searched out and destroyed most of the copies of that book but it's a treasured piece since seeing the very original cast with all the original keys.

Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?  Aug 2 2019, 02:16:31 PM

Living in HK you see lots of people, although most don't live locally but work nearby.  In my building, there were rentals for some of the kids in Matilda and some of the other shows with children (I forget the other show with children running around the same time).  The parents seem to let them have the run of the building which isn't wise especially being so close to Times Square.  We also have several Stage/TV actors living in the building and they sometimes han

Hammerstein grandson on Oklahoma!  Jul 15 2019, 04:47:35 PM

wow, can't believe it's been 5 pages of responses for this now.  I've seen it twice already.  Was never a fan of the play and did it in high school with all the colors and upbeat tempos, etc...

This production was much more riveting and made much more sense. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Greatest Cast of Characters in a Show  Jul 8 2019, 04:02:22 PM

The Drowsy Chaperone

Drood (one of my favorites as an actor)

Ali Stroker Attendance?  Jul 4 2019, 11:44:01 PM

have seen it twice. First time a few months ago and Ali was in. Saw it again last Sat and she was in. Wouldn’t read too much into an actor being out. 

Kelly Anne Conway and Jon Voight attend Hello Dolly  Jul 4 2019, 09:10:29 AM

Ah.  I saw Jon Voight in the Acela Lounge on Monday afternoon and wondered where he was going.  Figured it was DC because he is a big 45 supporter. He must be part of the ridiculous show today at the Lincoln Memorial.

Moulin Rouge Previews  Jul 2 2019, 01:29:38 PM

Not at all surprised by the comments on the production.  They didn't seem to get much negative feedback from that run that they kept most of it intact.  It's too bad too because the show could be really spectacular and not just because of the sets and lighting.  I had really hoped that they replaced the leads and did new arrangements of the songs instead of the karaoke feeling i got when they played.  I'll probably play the lottery to see it in NYC since I live

Cher show at the tonys performance  Jun 10 2019, 09:20:52 AM

I felt the performance was aimed at middle America who grew up on the Sonny and Cher show.  They probably saw that and fell out of their chair.  I've seen TCS twice and enjoyed it for what it was (we won the lottery the second time)  I think it will tour well.

Alice Ripley As Norma Desmond in "Sunset Boulevard"  Jun 6 2019, 12:33:45 PM

you would need a car.  You can fly into Logan or take the train and rent a car.  The theatre is in the round so that will be an interesting directing choice. Not sure how they will do the staircase but they do have the center that goes down.  They used that for Mame for her Moon number.

Take Me Out Revival!  Jun 5 2019, 01:39:34 PM

quizking101 said: "Jesse Tyler Ferguson will play Mason!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Jesse-Tyler-Ferguson-Will-Return-to-Broadway-Next-Season-in-TAKE-ME-OUT-20190605
"

Ugh, not exactly a standout for me.  I loved Denis O'hare in the original but can't really get behind JTF.  His character on Modern Family has just gotten under my skin and annoys me so much that I will have a hard time separating the two.  Unfortunat

Moulin Rouge changes for Broadway  Jun 5 2019, 01:24:50 PM

They have been loading it stuff since the week after Kinky boots closed.  (I live across the street)  The seats were all removed and they've been loading lights and sets for awhile.  More of the set pieces have been coming in this week.  You can catch a glimpse of the stage from the stage doors which are usually always open during the week.

I understand it's a jukebox musical but I really wish they would change the arrangements of the songs that they're

Alice Ripley As Norma Desmond in "Sunset Boulevard"  Jun 3 2019, 08:37:37 PM

I had no desire to see this again....but I will see Alice perform it.  At least she's close to the age of Norma during the period....

BEETLEJUICE Reviews  May 30 2019, 12:58:50 PM

We caught this last night and brought a friend with us.  We didn't expect much and had a few drinks beforehand  in the hopes that it would help.  Long story short...it didn't.  Our friend wanted to leave at intermission but I like to stay no matter how bad a show is (Burn This was an exception).  

I immediately got a "SpongeBob" vibe in the theatre with the lighting and mood.  I won't go into much detail because I think that hors

Beetlejuice Broadway: Surprise Hit!  May 30 2019, 12:39:20 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "^ ^ ^ 55 days and counting...looking forward to seeing this first-hand. It should be a blast. And for dinner prior to the show I do plan on having at least one alcoholic beverage as someone recommended. "

I had numerous drinks beforehand and a slight buzz and it didn't help.  Need to find that review thread....

You must log in to view off-topic posts.