Profile for SonofRobbieJ

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
Member Name: SonofRobbieJ
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The MargoChanning appreciation thread  May 14 2020, 06:04:43 PM

I'd never say Margo was a dear friend, but we socialized a bit and he came to number of shows I was in and was always so friggin supportive.  And that bitch was FUNNY. We saw IN MY LIFE together with the also dearly departed iflitifloat and it was absolutely suck, f*ck, duck, lemony heaven.  His 'review' of it on this site is some truly great writing.

Such loss.  But I'm grateful that this forum exists to have on record the extraordinary musings of Margo

Buzzfeed's Broadway Musical Quiz  Apr 30 2020, 03:51:12 PM

They also didn't accept Drat! The Cat!, Jamaica or Jelly's Last Jam.  The nerve!

Unions Need to Relax Streaming Restrictions: Release the Archives  Apr 10 2020, 10:24:08 AM

Correct.  Bandstand was in theaters in 2018.

I'm currently in a Masters program for arts administration and there is a lot of discussion about the opportunity for the industries (theater/dance/visual arts, etc.) to innovate in light of the current crisis.  There is a general feeling that arts organizations will begin to further explore digital options in terms of presentation. 

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes COMPANY!  Mar 6 2020, 05:20:09 PM

Michael Bennett!  How wonderful to so you round these parts!!!!

Can there also be another issue at play?  Is it possible that the actual role of Bobby/Bobbie is divisive?  I feel like there were divisions over Raul, NPH, Boyd Gaines and probably as far back as Dean Jones and Larry Kert.

Personally, I have some complicated feelings about the role being a cypher and BEING ALIVE not actually being justified in terms of character arc, but I love living with those thor

TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches  Mar 6 2020, 10:52:25 AM

Theatre Cyns said: "Not that it matters, but for what it’s worth in the context of this discussion, I’m a 51 year-old woman who doesn’t spend every minute of the day with her phone. Not a boomer but not a millennial either. ? I just don’t like the idea of the theater deciding that I’m not responsible enough with my own legal property to act appropriately (ESPECIALLY given that a minority of people do the thing that this is supposed to be stopping).

PORGY & BESS Movie Remake in the works, Dee Rees to direct  Feb 12 2020, 05:18:10 PM

I can see a world where they take the brief of the last revival to 'make it less opera and more musical theater' even further.  I can see a world where Audra stars and is surrounded by Jaime Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Sterling K. Brown, Anika Noni Rose and even a Mary J. Blige.

With Dee Rees as director, I can't imagine it's going to be some major studio blockbuster.

Putting It Together '93 Vs. '99  Jan 21 2020, 12:01:06 PM

I think the biggest question to answer is do you have more of a Carol Burnett or more of a Julie Andrews. 

West End CAROLINE OR CHANGE revival at Roundabout in 2020  Dec 12 2019, 03:19:36 PM

Kad said: "Levy is really the only thing here that doesn't work for me... it's very odd casting for this role, indeed. And although she's just 2-3 years younger than Veanne Cox was, she reads much younger to me."

Though she does read young compared to Cox (at the time), I don't think she reads too young to be a step-mother to a 12-year-old.  I've never seen her attempt a character such as Rose so I'm willing to go with it.  It's

Jason Danieley deserves love and so much more....  Dec 11 2019, 03:39:23 PM

The entire life you built and were expecting to live for a long time gets destroyed.  It's simply gone.  The first year after a loss of a partner is, in fact, not the hardest.  The pain is the rawest, but people really rally around you and basically carry you through.  The second year, however...oooof.

The path of grief is far lonelier the second year.  People have moved on...and start to tell you to move on.  People buy houses, have kids, get married.

This board in the old days  Nov 21 2019, 03:18:23 PM

Make sure you show off my good side. 

This board in the old days  Nov 21 2019, 02:57:32 PM

Bitch...we blew it all on the wedding.  That served as my funeral as well!

This board in the old days  Nov 18 2019, 02:51:04 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  Oh that's fantastic.  Wasn't there something about an iguana?

The 'good old days' were wild, sure.  But...we really did know each other then.  We all attended (or even performed) in the Standing Ovations concert series.  We've been to each others weddings.  We've been to each others shows.

And on the worst day of my life...the day we said goodbye to the man who was supposed to be my husband, something like 1

This board in the old days  Nov 18 2019, 02:51:04 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  Oh that's fantastic.  Wasn't there something about an iguana?

The 'good old days' were wild, sure.  But...we really did know each other then.  We all attended (or even performed) in the Standing Ovations concert series.  We've been to each others weddings.  We've been to each others shows.

And on the worst day of my life...the day we said goodbye to the man who was supposed to be my husband, something like 1

How would Ivo van Hove ruin your favorite show? (Twttter thread)  Nov 12 2019, 04:22:27 PM

But we don't really need to see the show to know that altering the structure to remove I Feel Pretty is a massive change.  I'd say it was destructive.  The dramatic irony of this young woman celebrating her love and how it is making her giddy is undercut by the knowledge that she's about to get her life blown apart by the news of her brother's murder...BY THE MAN SHE IS SINGING ABOUT.  I think a lot of people are so used to the placement of the song in the movie

Hugh Jackman in The Music Man  Sep 5 2019, 02:27:35 PM

They're going to lean hard into the 'Marian is Winthrop's mother' subtext, right?  Cause Marie Mullen won a Tony for playing a middle aged spinster twenty years ago.  For her to have a 10-year-old would be some next level miracle of modern science for turn of the century Iowa. 

FAYE FIRED  Aug 16 2019, 02:23:37 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I'm sure his claims that she was being cruel to him are true, but I'm not sure if calling a young gay man "a little homosexual boy" is technically hate speech. It's really rude and unprofessional, but if he wants to win a lawsuit against her, he should focus on the wrongful terminationpart."

Can you clarify why you're using the term 'hate speech' here?  I didn't see the term used in the articl

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS returning Off-Broadway this Fall?  Jul 23 2019, 05:00:45 PM

Agreed. She was my favorite part of that RENT revival at NWS.  I'm excited for the off-Broadway production, but I'd lose my mind to see the Pasadena Playhouse production.  Alas, because of work, I won't be able to get out to LA. 

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS returning Off-Broadway this Fall?  Jul 22 2019, 12:40:51 PM

Just booked two $69 tickets for second week of previews.  Tammy Blanchard is going to be delicious!

What a wonderful mid-summer treat this news is! 

The Cher Show to close August 18th  Jun 26 2019, 04:57:36 PM

Impossible2 said: "Cher is nowhere near the name or fame that those people had x"

That might be the most incorrect thing I've ever seen on BWW...and I've been around since the beginning.  I mean...maybe she doesn't have the talent of those women (and that can certainly be debated) but Cher is just as famous and has just as much name recognition as they. 

Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix  Jun 26 2019, 11:16:13 AM

getupngo said: "GeorgeandDot said: "The difference between a straight actor playing a gay role and a gay actor playing a gay role? The gay actor can bring their own personal truth to a role and provide a voice to a community that has been silenced for so long. The gay community is an oppressed minority that deserves to have their voices be heard."

But the opposite could also be said for a gay person playing a straight role. The gay actor cannot bring the

You must log in to view off-topic posts.