Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • The Definitive Cast Album Thread  Sep 24 2017, 07:54:58 PM

What are the definitive Broadway sex tape recording scandals?

• Best Gypsy cast album?  Sep 24 2017, 07:25:30 PM

I guess what is difficult about the Merman recording for me is to my ears it sounds like a rather straight interpretation of the score. It seems like over time to play Rose you need to make her sound more desperate or angry or emotionally-heightened (not sure if that is even a phrase), whereas Merman seems to be from a different time where it was sufficient to just sing the score well as written without too much on top. I call this ‘on top’ acting but acknowledge some might c

• Sweeney Todd Definitive Recording?  Sep 24 2017, 07:17:15 PM

The movie soundtrack obviously can’t be the ‘definitive recording’ because of the awful singing and cuts (personally I think the movie as a whole worked - but it was Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd not just a direct stage to screen transfer). 

However, one thing I must say I love about the movie soundtrack is the orchestrations. Listening to songs like ‘Worst Pies’ ‘My Friends’, ‘Epiphany’ or the Final Scene I find the orc

• Best Gypsy cast album?  Sep 23 2017, 09:03:32 PM

I personally consider the LuPone recording as a whole the 'definitive' recording for me - but I alternate with the Bernadette recording when I want to hear something a bit different. 

"This Rose, like Ms. Peters in the part, has to work hard to make things happen for her. It doesn't come naturally, as it so famously seemed to for Merman. Watching this production, if you've seen any other version of the show before, you may find that the shivers, laughs and

• SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 23 2017, 08:10:06 AM

The one disappointing thing about the recording is the French Horn not screwing up the final note like they did in the theatre. Didn't they want to make it realistic!?!?!

• SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 22 2017, 09:18:43 PM

Are we sure the orchestrations are completely original? I haven't spent the time to sit and listen side-by-side but it does sound like I'm hearing things for the first time and I wonder if that's because we are indeed hearing things for the first time. For example, when I listen to "No Life" the orchestrations are so interesting - much more pleasant than I remember ever hearing on record before (something I didn't really notice in the theatre though). 

• SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 21 2017, 10:58:29 PM

I can't see one on iTunes? Usually they appear in "recently added" but not here. 

• SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 21 2017, 08:43:33 PM

Yes. There is definitely dialogue but I wouldn't describe it as the 'full script' by any means.

• SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 21 2017, 07:44:07 PM

Oh right true - just bought it lol. Loving the opening so far - god the orchestrations sound so much better than that those awfully thin London recording orchestrations. 

• Tony/Olivier-winner to direct gender-swapped COMPANY; Sondheim approves  Sep 21 2017, 06:51:38 PM

I wonder if the show would work even better with a female lead. I'd definitely be curious. 

• SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 21 2017, 05:56:44 PM

Don't worry Jordan - I also did think Ashford (is that her name?) was a little bit plain - especially next to Jake and especially considering Bernadette in the role. I will admit there was some nice numerous moments in her second act, but the pairing still seemed a little off to me. I kind of wish they had found someone else. 

• WAR PAINT Will Put its 'Best Face Forward' For the Final Time this December; Closing Announced  Sep 21 2017, 05:51:19 PM

It will be a long long time before we have another "pink"-type moment on Broadway. Certainly not happening in that high school musical CFA or Groundhog Day (as much as I enjoyed it). This show was pure class and there was a great desk of professionalism going on here. I feel blessed to have seen it. 

• Hello, Dolly! Bernadette Discount Code  Sep 20 2017, 10:58:48 PM

I'm surprised they're not charging Hamilton prices for Bernadette Peters, the Greatest Star of All. Out of respect I hope every other show goes dark on Jan 20 and again on the Dolly opening night. It would be rude not to. 

• White girl studio recording of the Color Purple  Sep 16 2017, 07:31:41 AM

Love you guys <3. 

• Kiss of the Spiderwoman revival?  Sep 15 2017, 11:55:20 PM

I just love this musical so much. It manages to have some ultimate diva fan service (see: Hello, Dolly!) but manages to also explore some very serious and important themes (I particularly like the ideas around coping with adversity, complex relationships between the two lead males, mother/son relationships and the shame of not being a heterosexual/gender-conforming male). I DON'T think the show manages to capture a particular political or national context well (if I recall correctly this

• White girl studio recording of the Color Purple  Sep 15 2017, 11:41:40 PM

Former Australian Elphaba Jemma Rix has released a studio recording of "I'm Here" from the Color Purple on her debut album "Gravity". If you have an Apple Music subscription you can go and listen for free right now. 

I don't think white women have enough 'soul' in the timbre of their voice to pull this one off (ignoring the racial subtext, which no doubt will concern some). It sounds like the song has been bleached (no pun intended). &n

• Why is War Paint taking a week long break?  Sep 15 2017, 10:48:58 PM

I wonder if the show is performing at or just slightly below its nut - to the point where holding out and having a few very strong weeks can make up for any marginal loss during this time. I don't quite understand who would be putting up/pouring money into this week after week if it was really performing terribly? 

• BeyoncĂ© at DEH?  Sep 15 2017, 07:35:04 PM

In our shallow world I can't help but wonder if Maggie is being held back by her looks (or lackthereof). She isn't ugly but by Hollywood standards she isn't a beauty. And that's tough - people always talk about discrimination based on race but for some reason we don't care about the potentially even more significant variables: beauty and age - particularly if you're a woman. 

• Bette Midler Falls During  Sep 14 2017, 11:36:57 PM

Normally I'm not one to entertain false-risk or weakness but as discussed at this age falls can be very serious, causing chronic injuries, incapacitation and even death. And as mentioned, sometimes the effects of falls may not be known immediately. It's not as if the fall was a ripped chorus boy. 

• Bette Midler Falls During  Sep 14 2017, 10:51:22 PM

Bette is Scott Rudin's most importantly asset on Broadway right now. I would not be surprised if there was a doctor waiting for her at intermission and she has had a proper consultation since. 

Hoping all is fine! And hope they can work all the kinks out during the extended 8-month preview period of Dolly until the real megastar steps into the role on Jan 20.