Profile for artscallion

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld artscallion
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: artscallion
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Man of No Importance
Assassins
Cabaret
Company
Floyd Collins
Follies
Grey Gardens
Pacific Overtures
Passion
She Loves Me
Sweeney Todd
The Light in the Piazza

Favorite Performer(s): Ramin Karimloo

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Sardi's little foxes look like jennifer aniston & robin wright  Jul 1 2017, 05:22:37 PM

VintageSnarker said: "The thing that gets to me is that often the inaccuracies seem like attempts to "improve" the portraits. For Linney, he's...made the eyes larger..."

Exactly. Laura's smallish, kind of squinty eyes are a characteristic that makes Laura recognizable as Laura. A true Caricaturist would exaggerate that by making them squintier, not try to correct it by taking away the squint. Cause then she doesn't look like Laura

• Sardi's little foxes look like jennifer aniston & robin wright  Jul 1 2017, 07:38:53 AM

I do not consider these to be caricatures when he is literally just badly copying a photo almost hair strand for hair strand. This looks like something out of a high school art class. He really should just trace them and save himself the time.

• Miss Saigon: the worst Broadway show I ever saw  Jun 14 2017, 10:03:13 AM

ChenghisKhan said: ... at least just one battle should be included in the play. Like I said, the play took place during the Vietnam WAR. And while no major battles that involved planes dropping bombs on villages, its at least better to incorporate them, rather than what Miss Saigon actually reenacted. At least, it would make the show more intense and give the characters a more "valiant" and "heroic" character."

Sophie's Choice

• Barbra Streisand Returning To Broadway?  Apr 12 2017, 10:34:51 AM

Valentina3 said: "^ pretty sure Public was talking about Sunset Blvd"

Ah, probably. My answer remains pretty much the same. There is no reason Norma needs to be any particular age, other than to be old enough to be a has been. Rose, not so much.

• Barbra Streisand Returning To Broadway?  Apr 12 2017, 09:48:27 AM

Public User said: " As for the sniping about her age and Gypsy, why are all of you not bemoaning the fact that a 70 year old woman is playing a part written for much younger right now on the Great White Way?"

Because, while Dolly may have been written for a younger woman, there is no real reason that Dolly needs to be any specific age at all. The only thing she needs to do is appear reasonably relative to Horace in age.

On the other hand, Rose's child

• Unnecessary innuendos in shows  Mar 31 2017, 11:33:18 AM

I thought Kodaly's bit with the mistletoe in the recent She Loves Me revival stood out as inappropriate to the sensibilities of the show. I think it went beyond innuendo into crass. It didn't offend me. But it did take me out of the play for a moment since I felt it was so out of place for the charm and innocence of the show.

• Broadway Actors who went to your school.  Feb 14 2017, 06:08:28 AM

Viola Davis and Jennifer Mudge

• Guess Paper Mill's 17/18 Season!  Feb 9 2017, 09:47:57 AM

I'm a beekeeper, so I want to point out that yellow jackets/hornets/wasps are not bees. They are a completely different species of insect that are about as closely related to bees as ants are.They also don't make honey. I'm assuming, based on past years, Papermill is pretty good at accuracy/detail in these guessing games. So I'm assuming yellow jacket, not bee or honey, is the clue here.

• Guess Paper Mill's 17/18 Season!  Feb 9 2017, 07:39:25 AM

Also, that rooster is sold on this site as "Tiger Lily Flower Rooster Statue". So I'm thinking Peter Pan, not Annie.         Tiger Lily Rooster

• Guess Paper Mill's 17/18 Season!  Feb 9 2017, 07:31:53 AM

Just for clarification, the Georgia Tech mascot, as shown here, is specifically a yellow jacket, which is a type of wasp. It is not a bee.

• Guess Paper Mill's 17/18 Season!  Feb 8 2017, 07:10:48 PM

The rooster is made out of flower petals and leaves. I'm sure that's significant.

• Is The Al Hirschfeld Theatre Unsafe?  Dec 30 2016, 06:50:48 AM

I suspect that during an emergency evacuation, no one will be stopping to buy snacks

and souvenir buttons. So that bottleneck will not be there.

• GYPSY on PBS  Nov 14 2016, 04:16:42 PM

She was a cross between Fozzi Bear and Lewis Black. I'm sure direction was the problem. In Harry Potter she demonstrated that she could do both subtle, charming manipulation and the big finish drama. So we know it's possible for her to be small and work her way up to big. Granted that's film and this is theatre being filmed. But the filming director should have been able to reign her in for those two nights.

• War Paint tickets/website  Nov 4 2016, 02:05:03 PM

Ugh on the graphics. They look like the Coneheads from SNL.

• Amexx offer code?  Nov 4 2016, 10:21:22 AM

Tickets go on sale today only to American Express card holders. You need a code to access the sale. often it is the phone number listed on the back of your Amex card. Or you can log into your Amex account on their website and access special deals and codes there.

• Show tunes or lines that describe the election  Nov 3 2016, 03:25:11 PM
    Yet still I am content and I am not the least bit mad...
    No, I'm not here to harm you; I only want to KILL!
    You shall have your monster- I shall drink my fill!
    At last I am embracing my bloody destiny!
    Dear mom and dad, this face will be
    The last thing that you ever see!
    Revenge will be a home for me
  • Please take this one question Broadway survey  Nov 3 2016, 02:22:31 PM

Insert hand into BWW, pull back bloody stump.
    But yeah, the question needs to be rephrased to make sense.

• Laura Michelle Kelly & Jose Llana to Lead THE KING & I National Tour!  Oct 30 2016, 08:13:19 PM

Same gorgeous curtain. Hard to appreciate in pics, but in person, it's shimmery and vivid and lit from behind.

• Laura Michelle Kelly & Jose Llana to Lead THE KING & I National Tour!  Oct 30 2016, 07:10:41 PM

Saw the first tour performance this afternoon. Bartlett Sher came out at the beginning to welcome us and ask for our patience and understanding since this was only the second run through after tech and the first run through had to be stopped 8 times for safety reasons.
    I'm used to this because many tours begin in Providence and the first performance or two are always bumpy.

This performance though, was smooth as silk with lots of energy, no stops or problems and tons of talent

• The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread  Oct 23 2016, 08:52:28 PM

What a tone deaf waste of time. They just didn't seem to get it. At any rate, there was absolutely no need to remake this. The original was perfect as is. Why try to outdo perfection?