Profile for somethingwicked

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld somethingwicked
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: somethingwicked
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 14
Favorite Show(s): A Little Night Music
Bernarda Alba
Caroline, or Change
Company
Dreamgirls
Gypsy
Marie Christine
Merrily We Roll Along
Ragtime
See What I Wanna See
Strike Up the Band
The Light in the Piazza

Favorite Performer(s): Victoria Clark
Hunter Foster
Lauren Kennedy
Norm Lewis
Audra McDonald
Tonya Pinkins
Michael Rupert
Mary Testa
Barbara Walsh

Currently Listening To: A... My Name Will Always Be Alice

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018  Aug 20 2017, 07:06:45 PM

Lauren Ambrose is an incredibly special actress with a dazzling range. It's funny to see people making weird comments about Bart Sher's affinity for her when he's worked with Kelli O'Hara upwards of five times. This is a guy who stays incredibly loyal to actors he loves. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

It's not "amazing" that she's never been on stage in a musical. She's a classically trained singer, yes, but she's also had an

• Bernadette To Replace Bette?  Jul 5 2017, 12:28:27 PM

And Mozart In The Jungle goes back into production in February.  So I wouldn't put that much weight on the Bernadette rumor.

MOZART IN THE JUNGLE has been shooting since last month. They wrap in September and then Bernadette goes back on THE GOOD FIGHT shortly thereafter, though she's only recurring on that show.

• Bernadette To Replace Bette?  Jul 4 2017, 11:54:40 PM

I highly doubt there's any truth to this. Jerry Herman himself has said publicly that he loves Bernadette but doesn't really see her as Dolly (for what it's worth, I'd agree.)

As others have said, they're going to need a blockbuster Hollywood star to justify the expense of continuing to run. If Rudin isn't able to land someone like Reba or Queen Latifah, I would expect him to close the show riding high with Bette.

• Lisa Brescia to join DEH while RBJ on vacation?  Jun 25 2017, 09:52:43 PM

The wording of Alan's tweet implies that Brescia is actually stepping in for Garrett Long as the offstage swing while she's on for Jones, which makes sense.

• A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Extends to January 2018  Jun 16 2017, 10:21:55 PM

Frances McDormand would be an ideal Nora.

• Secret Garden Revival?  May 5 2017, 03:02:50 PM

The footage from that Denver production is infinitely more imaginative and interesting than anything from the Seattle production, which I found to be a flat and uninspired take on the show.

The cast in Seattle was uniformly talented but also consistently bland. The idea of having Daisy Eagan in the show as Martha is a nice bit of creative symmetry, but much like in the concert at Lincoln Center, I found her unable to sing the role and under-served in the acting department. In the r

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  May 4 2017, 05:42:42 PM

As others have said, Sher has been open that he wants to go through the audition process to find Eliza. Benanti may audition as part of that process (she wants the role so badly I imagine she'd be willing to,) but considering how established she is, the odds are against her. Everyone involved knows what she can do. They could have offered it to her outright and haven't.

I imagine this will be a lot like the process that went on for Sher's doomed FUNNY GIRL where all the

• Bette Midler - Tony Nominee Press Day  May 4 2017, 12:45:12 PM

It's always been strange to me that the nominee event isn't on Thursday. I'm not surprised someone like Bette who's so meticulous in her preparation didn't want to spend hours talking before a two show day.

• Booth and/or Circle In The Square This Summer?  May 3 2017, 01:08:08 AM

THE BAND'S VISIT is expected to take the Circle in the Square in the fall once Tony Shalhoub finishes filming his TV series this summer.

• 2017 TONY Awards Performances  May 2 2017, 09:44:02 AM

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if HELLO, DOLLY! opens the telecast with the title song.

• Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS  May 1 2017, 10:18:05 AM

In addition to Amber Riley, Liisi LaFontaine (Deena,) Asmeret Ghebremichael (Lorrell,) Joe Aaron Reid (Curtis,) and Marisha Wallace (Effie alternate) are all Americans doing the show on the West End. I'd expect to see all of them in the production when it transfers here. Adam J. Bernard (Jimmy) has gotten rave reviews and won the Olivier alongside Amber so I wouldn't be surprised if he's brought over as well.

As others have said, it's going to the Hudson.

• Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS  Apr 30 2017, 08:54:58 PM

He likes the production and all out gushes over Amber Riley, comparing the reception she's getting to what's being afforded to Bette in HELLO, DOLLY! here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/theater/review-a-souped-up-dreamgirls-roars-in-london.html?smid=tw-nyttheater

A very good omen for a transfer.

• Watch What Happens Live - Lea Michele  Apr 27 2017, 03:10:10 PM

The key part of the exchange is that Michele said she feels ready to do the show now.

Ryan Murphy, on the other hand, was pretty dismissive the last time he was asked about it a couple years ago. "We had talked about it for sure. But then I feel like we did so many of those songs and so many of those scenes [on GLEE] that in a weird way, I feel like we did it in some way." He continued, "I don't know, never say never. We've talked about a lot of differen

• HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews  Apr 25 2017, 07:07:58 PM

She's not enough of a name to keep a revival of this stature afloat but I'm rather shocked Andrea Martin has never done the show (though she's played Dolly in THE MATCHMAKER twice.)

She's ideal in just about every respect.

• CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Reviews  Apr 25 2017, 05:55:41 PM

It looks like they pulled that quote from an EW article that ran in August of last year about the teaser trailer.

As someone pointed out, they completely re-wrote the sentence to make it appear more active. The actual wording in the article is, "Broadway is in for a big treat."

http://ew.com/article/2016/08/08/willy-wonka-charlie-and-chocolate-factory-broadwa

• No Hello Dolly Gypsy Robe ceremony coverage?  Apr 24 2017, 11:56:46 PM

All these things people are mentioning missing in this thread aren't things shows do for fun. They're done to generate press and stoke interest in order to sell tickets. This show doesn't need to sell tickets so they're not doing anything.

People are forgetting that this is the same exact strategy Rudin employed with THE BOOK OF MORMON. Everything was kept under lock and key to preserve the feeling of it being an "event" in the theater. That's what he'

• Are there any Red Carpet pics from HELLO DOLLY's Opening Night?  Apr 24 2017, 11:01:15 AM

A media outlet can't get access to the opening night party or the people in attendance at the show without the producer's permission. These things are coordinated through the press department. They don't just show up and get quotes from whoever is standing outside the theater.

• Are there any Red Carpet pics from HELLO DOLLY's Opening Night?  Apr 24 2017, 10:37:53 AM

As far as I know, there wasn't a step and repeat or standard press line. The show doesn't need the media coverage. It's been a very calculated decision on Rudin's part.

• Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush  Apr 23 2017, 08:52:25 PM

double post

• Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush  Apr 23 2017, 08:45:27 PM

It was a lovely afternoon. What a gorgeous production.

Did anyone find it awkward Gyllenhaal didn't thank the director in his curtain speech? He even thanked the house staff. Not an intentional slight, I'm sure, but I found it odd.