BATHTUBS OVER BROADWAY Documentary Original Soundtrack Out Now
The soundtrack for Focus Features' award-winning, feel-good documentary, Bathtubs Over Broadway is out today!
The soundtrack to the award-winning documentary features rare, original cast recordings from the golden age of industrial musicals, as depicted throughout the film.
Many of these vintage tracks have never been made commercially available and have been restored from their original vinyl recordings by mastering engineer Reuben Cohen of Lurssen Mastering. The soundtrack is available today on all digital streaming platforms, and a vinyl configuration is planned for the fall.
Bathtubs Over Broadway tells the story of Steve Young, a comedy writer for David Letterman who stumbles upon a secret musical world starring tractors and bathtubs and finds an unexpected connection to his fellow man. While gathering music for a segment on Letterman's show, Young unearthed some bizarre and hilarious cast recordings marked 'internal use only'. These albums revealed full-fledged Broadway-style musical shows about some of the most recognizable corporations in America. The film, which features appearances by Chita Rivera, Martin Short, Jello Biafra and many more, follows Young's quest to uncover all he can about this hidden world. While tracking down rare albums, unearthing unseen footage, and rediscovering composers and performers, Young forms unlikely friendships and discovers how this discarded musical genre was bigger than Broadway.
The film's director/producer/co-writer and soundtrack co-producer Dava Whisenant (Winner, Best New Documentary Director at Tribeca Film Festival), explains "it was fascinating to me that these songs, which were never meant for the public and which had very specific lyrics about selling tractors & insurance, could also be used to tell Steve's story. It certainly speaks to the talents of the original songwriters that their work stands up so beautifully and could transcend its original purpose to tell this very human story." The film's co-writer/co-producer and soundtrack co-producer Ozzy Inguanzo goes on to say, "this music is such an integral part of our film's story and Steve's journey, and I'm so proud that we're finally able to present all of these songs in their hilarious and wonderful entirety!"
Young adds, "if ten years ago someone had told me these songs would someday be on a film soundtrack, I would have thought 'That's nuts' - but I also would have dared to hope that something so crazy and wonderful could happen. And now it has! I think it's a fantastic compilation."
The soundtrack also includes original score by composer Anthony DiLorenzo, as well as original songs with lyrics by Young himself. The opening number to the film, "It'll Change Your Life," pays homage melodically to the industrial tunes that are to come, while lyrically providing a whimsical introduction to this secret world. For the film's closing song, "Take That Step," DiLorenzo and Young collaborated with noted industrial composer Hank Beebe, who came out of retirement to co-write and also perform the finale with the rest of the cast. As Whisenant describes, "we had such a blast creating the original songs and score for Bathtubs Over Broadway, especially the big finale number, and being able to capture the magic of the story in this soundtrack is a dream come true for us. Plus, people are going to flip when they hear the full-length versions of the corporate show-tunes from the movie. These songs are addictive!"
The soundtrack features fan-favorite "My Bathroom" from American Standard's plumbing musical "The Bathrooms Are Coming" and early work from Tony-award winning songwriters Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock for Ford Tractor. It also includes two vintage tracks, courtesy of Raleigh Music Group, written by featured industrial composer Michael Brown for Frigidaire and J.C. Penney ("Put Payoff Punch in Your Selling" and "It's a Great Big Beautiful Morning").
Purchase or Stream the Soundtrack Here: https://backlotmusic.ffm.to/bathtubsoverbroadway
1) Introduction (A. B. Dick Company, 1962) - Original Cast of The Sound of Selling
2) It'll Change Your Life (Original Song) - Bathtubs Over Broadway Orchestra & Session Singers
4) Thank You Comedy Gods (Original Score) - Anthony DiLorenzo, Bathtubs Over Broadway Orchestra
5) Features to Talk About (General Electric Appliances, 1956) - The John Halloran Chorus, Dick Shores and His Orchestra
6) 22 Slices of Bread (Cook Book Bread) - Original Cast of Music to Sell Bread Buy...Cook Book That Is!
7) The Dishwasher and the Disposall (General Electric Appliances, 1956) - The John Halloran Chorus, Dick Shores and His Orchestra
8) There's a New World Opening Up (Xerox, 1971) - Mace Barrett, Original Cast of Take It from Here
9) Put Payoff Punch in Your Selling (Frigidaire, 1963) - Dennis Day & Chorus
10) Hot Promotions (Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Division, 1977) - Original Cast of Sundown
11) Salesman's Sonata (Lipton, 1972) - Original Cast of Lipton on the Move
12) Open That Door (Original Score) - Anthony DiLorenzo, Bathtubs Over Broadway Orchestra
14) More Power to You (Ford Tractor & Implement Division, 1959) - Original Cast of Ford-i-fy Your Future
15) Setting the Pace (Brown-Forman Distillers, 1953) - Original Cast of Brown-Forman Sets the Pace
16) It's a Great Big Beautiful Morning (J.C. Penney, 1960) - Michael Brown, Original Cast of A Birthday Garland for Mr. James Cash Penney
17) Who Else But Whirlpool (Whirlpool Appliances, 1967) - Sandi Freeman
18) Just One (Whirlpool Appliances, 1967) - Sandi Freeman
19) Gould Growing (Gould Inc., 1976) - Original Cast of Gould Groowwing
21) My Bathroom (American-Standard, 1969) - Patt Stanton Gjonola
23) Proximatics (American-Standard, 1969) - Patt Stanton Gjonola, Sandi Freeman
25) I Never Enjoyed My Operation More (American Hospital Supply, 1967) - Mike Arquette, Carol Steffen, Renee Kalen, Alice Dodd, Lee Pelty
26) Silicones, Silicones (General Electric Silicones, 1973) - Original Cast of Got to Investigate Silicones
27) We Love a Salesman (Standard Oil, 1958) - Original Cast of The Big Bonus
29) Lookin' Up (Original Score) Anthony DiLorenzo, Bathtubs Over Broadway Orchestra
30) Take That Step (Original Song) - Steve Young, Jello Biafra, Don Bolles, Patt Stanton Gjonola, Sandi Freeman, Hank Beebe, Melody Rogers, Peter Shawn, Sport Murphy, Jonathan Ward, Bathtubs Over Broadway Orchestra & Session Singers
31) Farewell Pacemakers (A. B. Dick Company, 1962) - Original Cast of The Sound of Selling
32) The Ballad of Steve Young (Original Song) [Bonus Track] - Steve Young
More Hot Stories For You
Renée Fleming will reprise her starring turn in The Light in the Piazza in the United States this fall. Adam Guettel and Craig Lucas' six-time Tony Aw... (read more)
National Tour Of XANADU Featuring 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Stars Put On Hold
The National Tour of the Tony Award-nominated roller-skating smash hit musical Xanadu, has announced an indefinite postponement.... (read more)
Lady Gaga Rumored to Be Considering Role in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Film
Lady Gaga is surely a woman of many talents ranging from pop superstar to screen icon. With the success of her roles on American Horror Story and in A... (read more)
A BRONX TALE National Tour Announces Full Casting and Dates
Full casting has been announced for the 2019a?"2020 North American Tour of A BRONX TALE. Completing the cast is Martin Bonventre, Hallie Brevetti, Lau... (read more)
DVR Alert: Broadway's NEWSIES To Premiere On Freeform Tomorrow!
Newsies: The Broadway Musical is set to premiere on Freeform tomorrow morning!... (read more)
MOULIN ROUGE! Will Hit the Road and Launch National Tour in 2020
Moulin Rouge! The Musical announced today that the first North American tour will run technical rehearsals and premiere at the Saenger Theatre in New ... (read more)