Comscore

When Menzel opened West End Wicked did she try a British accent?

csmithmusictheater
Swing
Just returned from a great week in London. Loved Miss Saigon and Matilda. Had great seats for Wicked, but was a little thrown by the accent - silly me! Got me thinking about what they did when Idena transferred for the opening. Or other Glinda/Elphbas that have done both Broadway and West End. Kerry Ellis was out that night, but totally enjoyed Emma Hatton (was a little visually jarring having a shorter Elphie). Appreciate hearing from anyone who remembers the original cast.
TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
Helen Dallimore who played Glinda was the only person to do a British accent ( she was Austrailian)

It wasn't great....
jonahke
Swing
Willemijn Verkaik had an American accent on Broadway and I think she had a British accent when she played Elphie on West End (although English isn't her native language)
luke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
That's not true TBFL. Boq played by James Gillian used a Scottish accent as well as Miriam Margoyles and Martin Ball using their natives. To my knowledge, all actors use their native accents pretty much, including ensemble actors and all the accents were English. The only Americans were The Wizard and Elphaba, everyone else was their native English. (Except for Dallimore's atrocious English accent. I can't remember much about Adam Garcia either, who is also Australian.)

I think the British accent works really well for the show. After all, it's set in Oz, not the USA, or the UK, so why shouldn't either work? Glad you enjoyed C Smith!
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity **; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading) ***; Blithe Spirit ****; The Magic Flute (RWCMD) ***; Stephen Ward *****; Secret Cinema: The Grand Budapest Hotel *****; Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour Wimbledon) ****; The Lion King ****; Arcadia (Bristol Tobacco Factory) ****; The Weir *****; Good People ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ***; Urinetown *****; The Testament of Mary ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Miss Saigon ****; King Charles III *; Not About Heroes (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; In the Heights *****; London Road (Bristol Old Vic) ****; God of Carnage (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; The Hills of Tomorrow (Cardiff RepCo) ****; Mr. Burns ****; Love Labour's Lost...and Won (Reading Open Air Theatre) *****; Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***1/2; Pippin *****; Hedwig and the Angry Inch *****; A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ****; Cabaret *****; If/Then ***; Secret Cinema Presents: Dead Poets Society, A Tribute to Robin Williams *****; The Book of Mormon ***; The Crucible (Old Vic) ****1/2; The Pajama Game ****; Kate Bush: Before the Dawn *****; Anna Nicole ****; NT Live: A Streetcar Named Desire: ***; NT Live: Medea ****; Gypsy (Chichester) **** COMING UP: Great Britain, Speed the Plow, Assassins, Here Lies Love, Made in Dagenham, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, City of Angels.
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
I'm not sure what was more traumatic: Helen Dallimore's English accent or Helen Dallimore's top As

DeNada
Broadway Star
I vaguely remember some "gossip" at the time about the Children In Need performance (I think?) when Helen Dallimore was indisposed for some reason and Idina Menzel reputedly had a moan about Annalene Beechey covering for her instead, blah blah blah drama. I never saw any of them in the show but Annalene Beechey's performance seemed perfectly fine on Children in Need. I've probably misremembered the whole episode, though.

Although now I'm remembering that absolutely dire Legally Blonde performance - thank god they pulled it out the bag for the actual show!
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Love Annalene but didn't see her go on. Shame never got the role full time. Gorgeous tone and charm and no doubt hit those optional high Es and Fs
promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
My first time seeing Wicked was actually during a trip to London (from the US) and I completely forgot that they would have accents as well!

I cracked up during "Popular" when Glinda is supposed to say "popuLER... lar" because it sounded the same. I did love the accent though, that's just my anglophile showing!
sparepart973
Featured Actor
To be quite honest I find it rather grating to sit through Wicked in an English accent. It must be due to the fact that I saw it in the US several times before seeing it in the UK (for the record I am neither English nor American, but my accent tends more towards the latter).

A note on Annalene, I've not seen her nor Helen in the role, but Annalene I find quite overrated. She is so vanilla and unexciting as far as I am concerned.

Message Board

TKTS Urinetown 10 Posts
Memphis West End 11 Posts

BWW BLOGS