The King and I (2014 new Paris production)

Nosferatu
Leading Actor
The new production of "The King and I" has just opened at the Châtelet theatre in Paris starring Lambert Wilson and Susan Graham.
Here is the trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOC4u46NuQ
The show is performed in English, of course !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Looks like an interesting production. I'm more intrigued by the fact that the Broadway/London revival of the late 90s is being revived in Australia. This was one of the first productions I ever saw in the West End and have such vivid memories of it - would love if we saw that over here again. Such a beautiful show.
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity **; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading) ***; Blithe Spirit ****; The Magic Flute (RWCMD) ***; Stephen Ward *****; Secret Cinema: The Grand Budapest Hotel *****; Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour Wimbledon) ****; The Lion King ****; Arcadia (Bristol Tobacco Factory) ****; The Weir *****; Good People ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ***; Urinetown *****; The Testament of Mary ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Miss Saigon ****; King Charles III *; Not About Heroes (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; In the Heights *****; London Road (Bristol Old Vic) ****; God of Carnage (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; The Hills of Tomorrow (Cardiff RepCo) ****; Mr. Burns ****; Love Labour's Lost...and Won (Reading Open Air Theatre) ***** NEW YORK, JULY 2014: Pippin, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder, Cabaret, If/Then
theeatah
Featured Actor
Didn't the Broadway (Donna Murphy)/London (Elaine Paige) revival actually originate in Australia?
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Are there no Asians in Paris?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I wonder if this will transfer to the London Colesium as part of the first ENO musical season, before Sweeney Todd?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Thank you, Wildcard. Why is the King played by a Caucasian?
DeNada
Broadway Star
Mainland European theatres - particularly operetta ones - are VERY poor when it comes to diversity of casting, specifically with Asians. In France it's even harder as there is so little in the way of traditional musical theatre - the Chatelet and the Mogador are really the only relevant venues. Wikipedia estimates that only 1.5% of the French population is Asian - so finding a French Asian actor who can sing the score would be very very difficult. You can imagine what Miss Saigon in, say, Hungary looks like...

Now typically the Chatelet would just cast a Brit in the role, but presumably they couldn't find a British Asian of the relevant age/ability - or standing, given that Lambert Wilson is relatively well known in France.

Not saying it's right - just looking at possible realities in the market.
sparepart973
Featured Actor
It's still unacceptable. Most of the cast that is hired for these English-spoken productions are hired from abroad at any rate. Surely they could have found an Asian actor from the UK, US or Europe to fulfil this requirement.
DeNada
Broadway Star
I'm not saying it's right - just that it's "par for the course" for Asian roles. You're right, though, that the Chatelet hires pretty much exclusively Brits.

Flippant suggestion, but maybe all the good Brits are in Miss Saigon? (even then most of the Saigon ensemble are from overseas...)

nmlhats
Swing
I hope to see Kelli O'Hara doing this at Lincoln center next season. I suspect the producers will cast an Asian actor as the king.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Well, yes. The American market and talent base is completely different from the Chatelet's, so I would be absolutely flabbergasted (rather than just raising an eyebrow) if the King in Lincoln Center's production weren't Asian!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The scene has been set for Jonathan Pryce to land the role as king!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

Book of Mormon Run 9 Posts

BWW BLOGS