Headwig and the Angry Inch

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/9/14 at 06:48pm
Headwig the toast of New York, done good at the Tonys and elevated Neil Patrick Harris to a bigger star than he already is and I personally think he is excellent of the little I have seen of him, the only problem is he is unlikely to come over the West End, which is a shame, so when this production of Headwig comes over and surely it will, wouldn't the bubbly Graham Norton be just great in this?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
FireFingers
Stand-by
Posted: 6/9/14 at 07:27pm
I wouldn't be so sure about Hedwig coming over... Rock musical about transexual doesn't sound like it'll be a big hit with the general theatre going public in the UK, the original only lasting a couple of months compared to the original Off-Broadway run of a couple of years. They'd need the perfect name to carry the show, and there is no way NPH will come over (he really wants to be a family man for a bit), and I can't think of anyone who could fill that gap.

I think the only version of Hedwig we might see would be a bigger fringe theatre like the Menier if they are feeling daring, or maybe a limited couple of months at the St James at most.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.
hanschens
Stand-by
Posted: 6/9/14 at 10:31pm
Perhaps the Greenwich Theatre could be a good venue for the show?
WickedGinger
Understudy
Posted: 6/10/14 at 08:38am
Daniel Radcliff is always looking for edgier roles... And we know he can sing from How to Succeed in Business on Broadway. Would he make a good Hedwig?

Russell Tovey? Can he sing?

Matt Smith has the acting capability for the role and he can sing. Could he pull it off?

I generally think the actor needs to be in the same age bracket as NPH, or younger. I could not imagine an older actor taking this role on.

Any other suggestions?

I think people would be generally surprised how well this would do in London if the right actor (and lets not forget supporting actress for the part played so well by Lena Hall) was cast.

Updated On: 6/10/14 at 08:38 AM
lotiloti
Leading Actor
Posted: 6/11/14 at 07:34am
'I wouldn't be so sure about Hedwig coming over... Rock musical about transexual doesn't sound like it'll be a big hit with the general theatre going public in the UK'

The Rocky Horror Show
HannahFan1
Swing
Posted: 6/11/14 at 02:14pm
This needs to be played in a fringe theatre, and needs to be cast a whole lot better than some of the suggestions people are making here (I can only assume the Graham Norton comment was a joke).

You need to start with performers who can sing and carry the show, Daniel Radcliffe (who is also too young) and Russell Tovey can't.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/11/14 at 09:16pm
My company applied for the rights to do this here in Manchester and got the go ahead, however the rights were reversed as the Broadway production is looking at coming to London.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/11/14 at 10:28pm
In NY the only tickets left are for $400 each. A bit head scratching wouldn't you say?

From what I saw on the Tony awards, I would not pay $ 40 for it. People are waiting in line for 12 hours for rush tickets.

This is the "in" show. You can brag you saw it. Bragging rights are not worth $400. The same people paying $400 would not give money to a bum on the street. This will only embolden producers to jack up prices on incoming shows. Hard to believe quality shows have closed or are struggling but this is thriving. Go figure.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
WickedGinger
Understudy
Posted: 6/12/14 at 08:52am
Suggestions for a British Hedwig?
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/12/14 at 09:57am
Dear Mr. Roxy. Why be an ass toward a show you clearly haven't seen? Now, I would think you an ass with no taste if you indeed had seen this wonderful revival on Broadway, but I would have held a modicum of respect for you. Now I believe you to just be a nasty awful person with nasty awful unqualified opinions.
wiggy2687
Swing
Posted: 6/12/14 at 09:58am
Having seen this on broadway there's not a lot of other people I could imagine in the role...NPH makes the role his own...English actors who could take on the role..there's only 1 who would be perfect....Oliver Thornton. I would love to see the likes of Ryan molloy,Oliver roll , Matthew Wycliffe ,Ben wishshaw having a go at the role. I know he's not English but I would love to c Gavin creel in the role. Hedwig is one of those characters that if it's being brought to the west end it definitely needs to be someone who u believe in the role whether they're a name or not
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/12/14 at 10:36am
The performance simply was not my cup of tea..According to you,I should pay $400 to see a show I am not interested in. If I did that,I would truly be an as whole. Right now, I think you are one. I would not pay $400 to see a resurrected Ethel Merman. Nice to see you resort to name calling if someone does not agree with you.There were a number of people on the Broadway board who felt the same.In your eyes,they are all unqualified assholes.Only you are the arbiter of good taste and quality.

I will ignore you in the future

Have a nice day.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
ajh
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/12/14 at 02:37pm
Definitely wouldn't want to see Oliver Thornton in this, imho he has neither the voice nor the vulnerability required. I think Killian Donnelly would be wonderful, although he's doing the London production of Memphis straight after The Commitments. Can Mark Letheren sing? He had a couple of vocal lines as the Stalker in The Bodyguard but couldn't really tell from that. He's a very edgy and exciting actor, I think he'd potentially be a great Hedwig. He's cute too.....
TBFL
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/12/14 at 07:41pm
Im not a fan of the show but I think Nigel Harman would be great
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/12/14 at 07:50pm
Now, now, Roxy. Play fair. I did not call you an asshole. I called you an ass. There is a distinct difference. And I called you an ass, not because you were incited by the 400 Hedwig ticket, and you know it. It was your opinion on a show you hadn't seen that caused me to nominate you as a BIG OL' ass. And you are. An ass, I mean.
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/13/14 at 06:30am
I hope that none of you are casting directors, the bulk of the casting ideas here are really completely missing the mark.

You need to start with a hugely charismatic performer who can sell rock singer, Ben Whishaw and people we aren't sure whether or not can sing are not the solutions...

If this does come to the West End, I'd love to see somebody like Rufus Wainwright or (at a push) Tim Minchin if you were looking for somebody edgier. If you want to go for a more usual theatre actor, Gavin Creel is still in town, or it's Will Young's to turn down.
mickeyjotheatre.webs.com

2014 Theatre: One Man Two Guvnors**** Coriolanus*** M For Medea* Wicked***** Gaslight***** Rent: In Concert** War Horse**** Birdsong*** Romeo and Juliet** Worst Wedding Ever** Good People***** Derren Brown: Infamous***** Blithe Spirit*** The Phantom of the Opera***** Urinetown**** Other Desert Cities***** Betty Blue Eyes*** King Lear***
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/13/14 at 05:22pm
I really hope if this does come over, which I find extremely unlikely, or indeed, it sparks a new production that it doesn't have to be somewhere like the Greenwich, or the Union as previously mentioned. It's a piece which is fairly well-known, or at least has a following, and has been around for a good fifteen years now. Don't we think it deserves a little more than a Fringe production if it returns to London for the first time in over ten years? Either way, I think it's doubtful. I'd hate to see such a critically acclaimed production transfer and just not take off. I could be wrong, maybe it would hit, but I do find it unlikely.

And why is everybody suggesting that it's stunt cast? It's a strong piece in it's own right, John Cameron Mitchell isn't exactly famous, and the film has a big following. It's a very challenging role, he's on stage for pretty much the whole hour and a half, singing challenging music. I personally think you need a well-experienced theatre actor to pull this off. Yes, Neil Patrick Harris is a "celebrity" but also a well-rounded, strongly experienced musical theatre actor. As is Andrew Rannells.

Did anybody see the Original London Production at The Playhouse with Michael Cerveris? There are nice very legal recordings of him in the Chicago (?) production and he seems very good.
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity **; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading) ***; Blithe Spirit ****; The Magic Flute (RWCMD) ***; Stephen Ward *****; Secret Cinema: The Grand Budapest Hotel *****; Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour Wimbledon) ****; The Lion King ****; Arcadia (Bristol Tobacco Factory) ****; The Weir *****; Good People ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ***; Urinetown *****; The Testament of Mary ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Miss Saigon ****; King Charles III *; Not About Heroes (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; In the Heights *****; London Road (Bristol Old Vic) ****; God of Carnage (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; The Hills of Tomorrow (Cardiff RepCo) ****; Mr. Burns ****; Love Labour's Lost...and Won (Reading Open Air Theatre) *****; Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***1/2; Pippin *****; Hedwig and the Angry Inch *****; A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ****; Cabaret *****; If/Then ***; Secret Cinema Presents: Dead Poets Society, A Tribute to Robin Williams *****; The Book of Mormon ***; The Crucible (Old Vic) ****1/2; The Pajama Game ****; COMING UP: Kate Bush: Before The Dawn, Anna Nicole, Gypsy (Chichester), Here Lies Love, Made in Dagenham, Women on the Verge of the Nervous Breakdown, City of Angels.
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/13/14 at 06:19pm
You kinda answered your own question there...

If you want to put what is essentially a one person show, which has no public name recognition in the UK in a normal size theatre, you need a star that the non theatregoing public are going to want to pay to come and see, and so you either put it in a big theatre with a star name attached or in a fringe venue with a theatre star, you can't have it both ways just because it's a cult broadway classic...
mickeyjotheatre.webs.com

2014 Theatre: One Man Two Guvnors**** Coriolanus*** M For Medea* Wicked***** Gaslight***** Rent: In Concert** War Horse**** Birdsong*** Romeo and Juliet** Worst Wedding Ever** Good People***** Derren Brown: Infamous***** Blithe Spirit*** The Phantom of the Opera***** Urinetown**** Other Desert Cities***** Betty Blue Eyes*** King Lear***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/13/14 at 06:46pm
I would be more than inclined to put this into the West End smaller houses.Still would need stung casting to work. If the New York production did have Neil Patrick Harris its box office would be struggling now.

History has been very clear, that what works on Broadway doesn't always work in the West End.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/14/14 at 07:51am
MusicalBoy you're right. But what I'm saying it's just a shame that this is what would have to happen for it to be successful. It's just a bit of a shame because it is a great musical in it's own right. And what I'm saying is, it can be cast with a star who has the name to bring in tickets, but is still a well-rounded musical theatre performer, Neil Patrick Harris is that.

All the stunt casting suggestions so far are just a bit ridiculous, as we don't even know whether some of these suggestions are capable of singing. Let alone singing challenging rock music basically non-stop for an hour and a half. HannahFan1 hit the nail on the head; to my knowledge Graham Norton struggled with Albin's singing. I certainly hope that was a joke too...
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity **; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading) ***; Blithe Spirit ****; The Magic Flute (RWCMD) ***; Stephen Ward *****; Secret Cinema: The Grand Budapest Hotel *****; Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour Wimbledon) ****; The Lion King ****; Arcadia (Bristol Tobacco Factory) ****; The Weir *****; Good People ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ***; Urinetown *****; The Testament of Mary ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Miss Saigon ****; King Charles III *; Not About Heroes (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; In the Heights *****; London Road (Bristol Old Vic) ****; God of Carnage (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; The Hills of Tomorrow (Cardiff RepCo) ****; Mr. Burns ****; Love Labour's Lost...and Won (Reading Open Air Theatre) *****; Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***1/2; Pippin *****; Hedwig and the Angry Inch *****; A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ****; Cabaret *****; If/Then ***; Secret Cinema Presents: Dead Poets Society, A Tribute to Robin Williams *****; The Book of Mormon ***; The Crucible (Old Vic) ****1/2; The Pajama Game ****; COMING UP: Kate Bush: Before The Dawn, Anna Nicole, Gypsy (Chichester), Here Lies Love, Made in Dagenham, Women on the Verge of the Nervous Breakdown, City of Angels.
TBFL
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/14/14 at 08:44am
I wouldnt call it challenging rock music. NPH is definitely not a rock singer, but his energy and performance make it work. He really sells it.

I hope the suggestion of Will Young was a joke too...
ajh
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/14/14 at 03:01pm
I saw Michael Cerveris 4 times in the original London production, sometimes with the smallest of audiences, and he was utterly sensatonal. I've been lucky enough to see some amazing stage performances but Cerveris as Hedwig is definitely in my top ten.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/14/14 at 03:50pm
Are we able to change the first word of this thread title to "Hedwig"?
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game ****
frazer
Understudy
Posted: 6/15/14 at 04:30pm
I can also see this being given to Will Young when it transfers.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 6/15/14 at 06:27pm
Now Will Young would be excellent. He was brilliant as the Emcee in Caberet.
ajh
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/16/14 at 08:44am
Ugh, no....not Will Young. Given the show's track record in London I reckon the only way the B'wy revival could realistically make it over the pond would be if NPH wanted to do it. I guess they could stage it somewhere like the Noel Coward and make out that Tommy Gnosis's big concert was taking place in Trafalgar or Leicester Square?!

Page:

Message Board

wicked plot help 7 Posts

BWW BLOGS