Clarence Darrow - Kevin Spacey
Posted: 6/4/14 at 06:27pm
Kev's quite good at this acting game eh
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/4/14 at 07:34pm
Don't know, I went to get a ticket tonight and luckily they had a return, unluckily they wanted 97 for the ticket, so I walked.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
KermitTheFrog Profile Photo
KermitTheFrog
Chorus Member
Posted: 6/5/14 at 11:01am
He certainly is excellent and a magnetic stage presence, as one has come to expect from Spacey. I've written a full review on my blog if anyone is interested. However, as good as he was, 97 is an utterly absurd amount for this show.

Review: Clarence Darrow (Old Vic Theatre)
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/5/14 at 05:14pm
Saw the original on Broadway with Henry Fonda. It was taped and was out on dvd for awhile. No idea if it is still in print.

Talk about ridiculous prices - how about $ 165 US dollars for a revival of The Elephant Man? I am passing on that one. If I cannot get a show on TDF or other theater clubs or get obstructed view seats, my wife and I simply do not go.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/5/14 at 06:03pm
"Saw the original on Broadway with Henry Fonda"

Different play!
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/5/14 at 06:28pm
Very interesting. Did not know that.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/5/14 at 06:59pm
I heard about Elephant Man ticket prices being high, ouch, but this only works if you can sell tickets at those inflated prices, with no names in the cast and with Hugh Jackman in The River and Nathan Lane and Mattew Broderick in It's Only Fair Play, so think this one will be on TKT's sinner than later, like all Broadway Dramas unless they are stunt casted.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/5/14 at 08:48pm
Bradley Coopers star power on Broadway is a question mark.
The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
Understudy
Posted: 6/6/14 at 05:52pm
" "Saw the original on Broadway with Henry Fonda"

Different play! "

Said in the manual the role was first played on Broadway by Fonda
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/6/14 at 06:42pm
Guess it is the Fonda version after all.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/7/14 at 04:35pm
I went to the box office of the Old Vic this afternoon at 4:45 after 1984 at the Playhouse, 1 ticket left for the later 9pm performance for an eye watering 107, I declined the offer, but as there was a performance at 6pm I decided to wait in the returns queue, I was second in the queue, a couple of returns came out for 90, I and the bloke in front of me, knocked these back, so the tickets went further back in the queue, Ethel say waiting pays off 2 tickets for 60 came out, it would be rude not to accept this offer.

Great play. Funny in places, Kevin Spacey I would like to think he is in lead contender fot an Olivier, but gather he is not eligible?
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/7/14 at 07:49pm
"Guess it is the Fonda version after all."

My apologies, I was mistaken!

I was also at the 6pm performance this evening POL, why do you think he wouldn't be eligible for Best Actor Olivier?
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****
JRRTolken
Understudy
Posted: 6/8/14 at 02:41am
random what happened to Eve Best
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/8/14 at 07:56am
You made it from Miss Saigon to Clarence Darrow in one piece, how dud you do it? Where was you sitting?

See you enjoyed Clarence Darrow more than Miss Saigon in the end?

Didn't think Kevin Spacey would be eligible for an Olivier had he wouldn't of completed 30 performances.
The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
Understudy
Posted: 6/8/14 at 05:46pm
Thought you meant Spacey wasn't eligible for the Olivier as Mark Strong already had that in the bag
wiggy2687
Swing
Posted: 6/12/14 at 10:00am
Loved this show...in my eyes onstage spacey can do no wrong..stunning actor
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/14/14 at 03:53pm
Yes POL, just about made it from the Prince Edward to the Old Vic on time - thanks to the Northern Line!

Absolutely adored this play! He's simply my favourite actor, doesn't get better than that. Shame the script doesn't seem to be that readily available online (at a reasonable price anyway).

Miss Saigon is great, but it has some flaws which left me disappointed. Mainly pointless changes, Hugh Maynard butchering Bui Doi and the complete non-acting of Alastair Brammer. Briones is everything I wanted and more, however.

Updated On: 6/14/14 at 03:53 PM

Message Board

TKTS Urinetown 10 Posts

BWW BLOGS