Alexandra Burke in The Bodyguard

busylizzie238
Chorus Member
Posted: 6/4/14 at 01:11pm
I am curious to know whether anyone has seen Alexandra's performance yet? The one time I've seen the musical it was with the understudy and found it fairly enjoyable so wondering whether it's worth seeing it again with her in it.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/4/14 at 05:26pm
There is some positive commentary over on whatsonstage.com.
Commentary on Ms. Burke
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/4/14 at 08:24pm
I thought she was excellent. Her acting is pretty damn good for a non-actress, the sass, the accent, and the overall mannerism. I thought she was lightyears ahead of Beverley Knight, who was pretty phony and unnatural in her acting. Her singing is quite good and her voice blows the roof, but I think she needs to work a little more on her I Will Always Love You.
busylizzie238
Chorus Member
Posted: 6/5/14 at 02:20pm
All sounds good :) And thanks for the link ggersten, I didn't know there was a forum on the whatsonstage website!
carlodowd
Stand-by
Posted: 6/15/14 at 06:55am
She is great in the Bodyguard. I was absolutely blown away!
Stewart A
Stand-by
Posted: 6/15/14 at 04:18pm
I wonder if the producers regret not putting Beverley Knight or Alexandra Burke in at the start as Heather Headley was not a big crowd puller or vary reliable from what I've heard. Is Alexandra Burke doing the tour of this show?
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
Posted: 7/11/14 at 03:22pm
According to reports Alexandra Burke isn't the box office draw the producers were hoping for.

Ticket sales have dived since her arrival.

She plays 6 performances a week.

If the same reports are to be believed, there are indications that the show will close earlier than expected.

Updated On: 7/11/14 at 03:22 PM
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 7/12/14 at 05:51am
ALL of the Rachels have perform six times a week, including Beverley, Heather and Gloria when she took over.

I honestly think that the box office shortages have a lot to do with the timing. It's the World Cup, and the World Cup is a big deal. I saw the show on the night England was playing and the attendance was noticeably low. However it's generally average or above average on regular nights, especially on weekends.

The show is practically running for 30 more days only, so I think they will manage to pull through until then.
Stewart A
Stand-by
Posted: 7/12/14 at 05:35pm
I'd be surprised if they pulled the plug sooner when it's only got a few weeks to run.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/21/14 at 11:00pm
I'm surprised it took until to be "Facebook official" that it's closing:

"Under 6 weeks left to catch #TheBodyguardMusical at the Adelphi Theatre, London! Must end 29 August, 2014!"

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 7/21/14 at 11:00 PM
Posner11
Chorus Member
Posted: 7/30/14 at 03:44pm
WMC Cardiff have the show booked for June 16th to 27th 2015 - no news of any names yet
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Posted: 7/31/14 at 04:38pm
The show is closing on a Friday, that seems odd to me does anone know why? also is the show good from the rear upper circle?
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 8/2/14 at 08:17am
It was cited as "scheduling conflicts". Not sure what the heck that means :)

IS any view decent from the rear of the upper circle? I'm not a big fan of far distances, but I've actually sat there once and yes it's fine as it's rather steep.
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Posted: 8/3/14 at 09:17am
Thanks Sparepart973. The show wasn't on my list really but as I happen to be in London for closing night I thought it worth a punt (as bottom price!)
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 8/3/14 at 03:51pm
Yay! I'll be there on the final show (and many others in its final week!) ;(

Message Board

wicked plot help 7 Posts

BWW BLOGS