Comscore

Casting Elizabeth from If/Then

RW3 Profile Photo
RW3
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/28/14 at 11:16pm
If Idina didn't come with the show for a hopeful London transfer, who would you want cast as Elizabeth?
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 5/29/14 at 12:07am
Well firstly I doubt this show will open in London, I feel that if anything they had the chance with Next To Normal. But should it open in London I would think you will need an Idina-type, which is tough to find. Maybe Louise Dearman? I would also say someone like a Denise Van Outen if she was able to sing.
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 5/29/14 at 12:12am
Just wanted to add that I actually love the If/Then cast recording and think the songs are super catchy and the story and premise quite clever.
Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/29/14 at 04:57am
The show is a star vehicle for Idina, she was involved in the show from very early workshops, don't count on this one transferring without her. It's a clever show, but there's very few people who have the selling power and could sing the score.

Not even Elaine Paige could save the brilliant Drowsy Chaperone in London. Shows like this should come over for limited 4 month runs and then they might just work.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/29/14 at 06:24am
Most of them do come for limited runs. Because the main West End audience doesn't want to pay full price to see them (or maybe even see them at all), and they close in a matter of weeks...

Quite why the UK is now pretty much the only country with a decent musical theatre industry NOT to have had a professional production of, say, NEXT TO NORMAL, is a minor mystery - beyond the fact, of course, that it wouldn't make any money.

Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/29/14 at 07:55am
"Quite why the UK is now pretty much the only country with a decent musical theatre industry NOT to have had a professional production of, say, NEXT TO NORMAL, is a minor mystery - beyond the fact, of course, that it wouldn't make any money."

I don't understand what you mean by this contradictory paragraph, but from what I've seen the London musical theatre industry is quite INdecent.
Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/29/14 at 09:59am
DeNada that's not exactly true. Most musicals that transfer from NYC transfer in the hope of an open ended run. Shows like Drowsy Chaperone, Spring Awakening, Millie. Even The Producers didn't do too great over here ( the tour got cancelled halfway through! ).

Obviously other transfers have done better, but they were never marketed as a limited run.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/29/14 at 10:28am
I wouldnt say The Producers wasnt a success, it was a huge hit in London (and in one of the biggest theatres) and it was only on tour that it struggled.

Spring Awakening shot itself in the foot by leaving the transfer announcement way too late. Drowsy, well its a matter of opinion, personally its one of the worst things ive seen.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/29/14 at 05:43pm
Mark I was being facetious. Loads of shows open in London with the potential of a long run, but most of them crash and burn within a few weeks - that's what I meant!

Owen, my paragraph made perfect sense if you consider the, again, facetious tone I was going for. The West End is probably the second or third biggest theatre market in the world (after New York and possibly Hamburg - Next To Normal went straight to the rep theatres in Germany) and yet there is no audience for something like N2N - or Light in the Piazza, or all the shows that get their premieres at Southwark/the Union before vanishing into amdram anonymity. There is probably no audience for If/Then unless it is stunt cast (not star cast...)
ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
Stand-by
Posted: 6/19/14 at 05:07pm
I'm going to assume that all of your posts are facetious in future - the West End coming AFTER Hamburg as a world player... Good one.

Next to Normal hasn't happened in the West End yet due to the US creative team being unwilling to compromise with the production they want to mount and this is BECAUSE London is a key market, both in terms of pretige and revenue.

Message Board

Kerry Ellis in CATS? 1 Posts
Imelda Staunton Gypsy 25 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement Advertisement