Carousel Revival

RunFreedomRun
Swing
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/24/14 at 07:37am
Carousel to be revived at the Arcola Theatre from June 18th till July 19th by Morphic Graffiti (www.morphicgraffiti.com) according to Mark Shenton. Wonder how this will go, considering the 2008 Savoy production closed a month early after mixed reviews!
2014 Shows: Cats (Tour) ***, Book of Mormon *****, Matilda (x2) *****, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (x3) ****, Stephen Ward (x2) ***, Happy Days (Tour) ***, I Can't Sing ****, Mamma Mia ***, Urinetown (x2) *****, Wicked *****
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/24/14 at 07:47am
What is with London and its need to revive every show every single year. For God's sake, we don't need another Carousel revival... The NT production in the '90s was strong, and they should've waited another 30 years to revive it again. These shows just get even more stale when revived so much. See Cabaret 2006 then 2012.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/24/14 at 09:32am
I think it depends entirely on the quality of the production and performances. A show is only "stale" if the production is "stale". For example, I thought the Sweeney revival at the Adelphi (apart from Imelda's performance) was quite lacklustre, while last year I saw the most exciting, gripping and stunning production of Sweeney I've ever seen at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.

Carousel at the Savoy a few years ago was not a great production, nor did it try to do anything new with the piece. But I saw a really stunning production of Carousel a few years before that at the Bridewell by Mountview students (including Connie Fisher as Julie Jordan) which was inventively directed and breathed new life into the show. Maybe the Arcola production will just be "old hat" - but it may also turn out to be something fresh and special. Let's wait and see.............
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/24/14 at 11:29am
I saw the Vaudeville production and what I took away from that show was an excellent sung 'You Never Walk Alone' by the brilliant Lesilie Garret but also very heady projections, the use of projections for the Carousel and the Ships in the harbour were excellent, but they went a bit mad and over used them. Did they replace the ballet section with a projections of going out of space? I can't remember now. On a side note projections are there to compliment the physical production and not the other way round. They got this balance spot on with Stephen Ward, the best use of projections I have seen in the West End so far.

A year or two ago Opera North done a brilliant production of Carousel at the Barbican Centre, not much got said about this show in the press, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Updated On: 3/24/14 at 11:29 AM
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/24/14 at 06:39pm
Rodgers & Hammerstein are to musicals as Shakespeare is to classical theatre. Revived often and reinvented they can be thrilling and deserve to be seen fresh.

Appeared an odd choice for the Arcola so I look forward to it.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/24/14 at 07:30pm
True however I have never seen Oklahoma and The King and I, both are very high up, if nit the top up - my list of must sees.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Outoftowner2
Stand-by
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/25/14 at 10:28am
I saw the Opera North production and I thought it was great,
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/25/14 at 02:41pm
They're setting this one in in the modern day, apparently.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Taboolie2
Chorus Member
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/25/14 at 07:03pm
Agreed - why not give us Bonnie and Clyde or Next to Normal or Jane Eyre instead.
And no "new" juke box musicals please.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/26/14 at 08:49am
Reviews lite version from the Savoy back in 2009.

Carousel Reviews
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/26/14 at 03:13pm
Exactly... where is our Jenna Russell-led Next to Normal, or some new shows... Come on guys... Carousel, Annie Get Your Gun, Calamity Jane... what next? Oliver!?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Carousel Revival
Posted: 3/26/14 at 03:33pm
But you have a superb Jenna Russell-led Urinetown instead.

I see and understand the point you're making and it's not an unreasonable one, we do have great theatre in the West End, although 'Next to Normal' hasn't came over yet, it will at some point, decent Broadway shows have a habit of finding there way over to London, we just had 'The Colour Purple' and 'The Scottsboror Boys' in London, we have in previews now 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' and coming up 'In The Heights' at the Southwark Playhouse. the National Theatre is going to do 'Here Lies Love' once the new Dorfman opens.

London is the best city and most exiting in the world for theatre.

Message Board

wicked plot help 6 Posts
Menier Christmas Show? 42 Posts

BWW BLOGS