Comscore

City of Angels at Donmar

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
City of Angels at Donmar?
Posted: 3/23/14 at 08:55am
According to a poster on WOS, this is being lined up for later this year at the Donmar. Anyone heard anything?
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/23/14 at 09:31am
I saw that too, on a rare trip over to WOS for me, it will be the first musical he Donmar had done in 2-3 years, since Spelling Bee, so long overdue, I will look forward to this one, as never sauté original.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Jimbob2
Understudy
Posted: 3/23/14 at 10:01am
Phantom - you have very high class predictive text! I feel I should have worn a cravat

Updated On: 3/23/14 at 10:01 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/23/14 at 12:36pm
LOL I am cringing at my mistake, thanks for your 'caveat' indeed that is a typo on the iPad and should of read "I never saw the original", I should learn to read my posts before posting, this isn't the first time I have cringed when I have re-read my posts at a later day.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/23/14 at 12:59pm
One of my all time favourite shows! Really excited to see this in the Donmar space. Very interested to see casting announcements. I saw it in New York back in 1991 with Michael Rupert - and his amazing rendition of "Funny" is still one of my most vivid memories of any night I've spent in the theatre.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** LiCallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)**** Damm Yankees**** Natalie Weiss**** The Little Dancer***** If/Then***** The Band Wagon***** The Fortress Of Solitude***** On The Town*** The Last Ship***** Allegro***** Saturday Night***** Side Show***** Made In Dagenham*** Girlfriends**** Jacques Brel Is Alive And Well****
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/24/14 at 06:52pm
Love Martin Smith on the London cast album.

Excited to find out who is directing and designing this one.
aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/3/14 at 01:03am
Any update on this or dates?
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/18/14 at 12:15pm
Anyone else book for this today. Sounds like it is pretty much sold out. I struggled to get seats for most of the dates I asked for, ending up with a pair of seats in the Dress Circle. What's that like at the Donmar?

Very much looking forward to my first visit there.
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables ** Gounod: Faust (ROH) ***** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***** Marry Me A Little (St. James Studio) **** Miss Saigon **** The Book Of Mormon ****
The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
Understudy
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/18/14 at 05:09pm
Stunningly good theatre round the back of Covent Garden. Small and intimate. One of my favourite venues.
Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
Understudy
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/27/14 at 11:54am
I'm annoyed. Loved this show the first time round. Making seats essentially available only to an elite is a real let down for a theatre trading on a public subsidy.
Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?
sparepart973
Featured Actor
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/27/14 at 02:00pm
Did you say they are doing day seats?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/27/14 at 07:10pm
Eurotrash as it happens I agree with you here.

If you receive public subsidy there has to be rules how you sell tickets.
Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
Understudy
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/28/14 at 03:33am
Indeed. I hope the Arts Council, where there are some tough nuts, asks some awkward questions.
Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?
BoOverall
Swing
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/29/14 at 08:49am
Absolutely agree.
"No day but today" . http://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 6/29/14 at 10:49am
For the recent run of Shakespeare's Coriolanus , scalpels were asking £2000 a ticket, this isn't even illegal, it is only illegal if it's football, even there it isn't enforced.

The point being an organisation that gets public subsidy, still has ways for scalpels to get tickets, that genuine fans don't.

I take it both of you were unsuccessful getting City of Angels tickets recently? The Donmar will just say they do day tickets and Barclay's front tickets, which both can be obtained from scalpels.
Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
Leading Actor
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 7/6/14 at 04:46am
LOL Phantom, think your predictive text is assuming SCALPELS instead of SCALPERS!

Totally agree about Donmar tickets though I have always managed to see everything I wanted too there for face value in the past. Been a while though!

Re City of Angels I adored the original production at the Prince of Wales. Casting was superb and, of course, Cy Coleman's score is sublime with a terrific book and lyrics! Must also mention Robin Wagner's outstanding sets which had to be shoe-horned onto the POW stage (they were brought over from one of the USA productions, I believe).
"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
City of Angels at Donmar
Posted: 7/8/14 at 07:24am
The Donmar only gets around £500k in funding from the Arts Council. The rest is private sponsorship. The trade off does mean that not all tickets are going to be available for public sale.

Ticket prices are incredibly low for this theatre. They operate a terrific advance day seat policy plus standing room for those on the day.

I have never failed to see a Donmar show since 2007. Yes you have to be sharp to get tickets but its the nature of the venue. Its tiny. I do not approve of scalpers but what can you do? The Front Row seats are 2 per person per production and only released 1/2 before curtain. I can't imagine many scalpers are getting those in any great volume.

Message Board

Assassins 22 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement