A week in NYC - 7 Shows!

Mark_E
Broadway Legend
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/17/14 at 02:46pm
Just got back from a great trip to NYC, was my first time in 3 years, so lots of new shows to see! Just gonna do very brief roundup of the shows I saw:

Kinky Boots - Weds Matinee
Managed to get lottery seats for this. Side Orchestra row F, great seats for $37! Billy Porter truly excels here, he is giving a wonderful performance. If you like shows like Legally Blonde/Priscilla, this will be right up your street, it is feel good and high on energy. I hope this time next year there will be a giant red boot on the outside of the Palace theatre!

If/Then - Wednesday Evening.
Went for the lottery, around 150 people were there! Yikes, no chance I thought, until my mums name was the second called. We got excellent seats in the front row of the orchestra, first two seats on the side, for $25 is was amazing! I thought the show was excellent, and Idina is giving the performance of a lifetime. She brings down the house, and has never sounded better to be honest. The supporting cast are also very strong. I hope this show does well, of course it is a star vehicle for Idina and would never of been produced on Broadway without her but it could easily settle in for a nice run.

Aladdin - Thursday Evening
We booked tickets in the mezzanine in advance for this and I'm glad we did! Tickets in the mezzanine for $70 and they were great seats. This show is fun, and very true to the spirit of the film. It's definitely one of my favourite disney shows. I hated Lion King and was Impartial to Mermaid, and this is definitely better than those two, although not quite as magical as Mary Poppins. The problem with this show is the ending, it just kind of fizzles out.
Cast wise, James Monroe Iglehart is perfect as the genie. I can definitely see him taking the Tony for this. I really liked Adam Jacobs as Aladdin, although wasn't overly impressed with Courtney Reed as Jasmine.
This is a big show, it could be an excellent replacement for We Will Rock You at the Dominion, I think a new Disney show is long overdue in the West End.

Newsies - Friday Evening
Another lottery and another win! Mum again was the 3rd name pulled out. Our seats for $30 were fantastic, obviously unsold premium seats in the front row of the mezzanine. It was the perfect place to view the show from.
Unfortunately for me the show didn't live up to the hype. I loved the dancing, I loved the music and the staging, I just didn't really like the story. Also I found leading man Corey Cott to be exceptionally weak vocally. He just did not do it for me and looked extremely bored at times.
I worry for this show if it makes it to London. Unless they can do it for a limited run it is really going to struggle. I would see it again just for the music and dancing but it's not one I could find myself recommending to people.

Cinderella - Saturday Matinee
Paid $70 for seats in the mezzanine (unfortunately I am no longer a student so didn't qualify for the student only rush). Great seats! I saw a poster walking into the theatre with the quote "The Loveliest Show on Broadway", and you know what, I think it is. "Lovely", its just a nice afternoon at the theatre. Carly Rae Jepson was passable, and Fran Drescher filled the role of the stepmother very well. Victoria Clarke has a beautiful voice and I'm glad I finally got to see her in something. The production is very strong, and the audience seemed to love it. Lots of kids in the audience (very well behaved!) and this is such a great way to introduce them to the theatre and the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein.

The Bridges of Madison County - Saturday Evening
Managed to get rush seats for $37. Was in the box which was quite a good view for this show, although we were allowed to move to 4th row mezzanine for the second act which was definitely better!
Well, this took my breath away. It was my Mums favourite of all the shows we saw, and I thought it was just stunning. Kelli O'Hara - wow! I honestly can't call best actress this year between her and Idina. The songs are beautiful, and the performances excellent. Such a strange subject matter for a musical, but it works!
It's a shame the West End doesn't see new shows like this.

Sunday Afternoon - Pippin
Having seen the chocolate factory production of this and thought it was good, I was intrigued to see how this version would be. It was great! I loved the circus element and Patina Miller and Matthew James Thomas were excellent! Great production of a very troubled show.

And that's me done. Hopefully will be back soon!
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
DeNada
Broadway Star
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/17/14 at 03:44pm
Glad you had a good time Mark!

I've just booked for Bridges, If/Then and Violet when I'm in NY in a couple of weeks time; still trying to decide what else to see so it's great to see your thoughts. Maybe I will see Aladdin after all...
No Leg Room
Swing
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/17/14 at 05:40pm
Hello Mark: I was the talkative guy at If/Then sitting behind your Mum. The dude who wanted to stay at your place in London. The area was to far away from the West End for me though.Happy to hear you both liked your stay at the Holiday Inn in Chelsea. Thanks for your posting. You never know who is reading Broadway World.

Updated On: 3/17/14 at 05:40 PM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/18/14 at 09:44am
Nice to meet you! Yes had a brilliant and busy stay!
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/18/14 at 12:34pm
Glad you had a good time, naturally you treated your mum and turned left!!!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/21/14 at 02:56pm
Not quite turning left but we were VERY comfortable and enjoyed much champagne!

One week later, and I just can't stop listening to Kinky Boots, such infectious music!
2012 Shows!
BwayinVan
Chorus Member
A week in NYC - 7 Shows!
Posted: 3/26/14 at 03:19am
Mark I'm pretty sure I was sitting beside you and your mum at Kinky Boots and I too was at If/Then that night. Even managed to get Idina to sign my playbill. Glad to hear you enjoyed both shows as much as I did!

Message Board

BWW BLOGS