Evita UK tour to the West End?

stockholm.tom
Swing
Posted: 3/10/14 at 05:45pm
The current UK tour of Evita (Bill Kenwright) will make a stop in Oostende, Belgium, on 29/7-10/8. On the theatre's website it says 'ALW is so enthusiastic about this production that he insist on moving it to London as soon as possible. Nonetheless, we succeeded in bringing the show to Oostende for a limited 2 week engagement before this.'

Can anyone confirm this?

FireFingers
Stand-by
Posted: 3/10/14 at 09:00pm
Well it was throw around as filler for the Aldwych, but now the RSC is going in till September. Depends if they wants to wait around I guess, no other theatres have the space, unless 1984 doesn't run very long at the Playhouse.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/11/14 at 06:50pm
Bill Kemwright wants to bring in Evita and Sound of Music this year.
WestEndmasterclass
Swing
Posted: 4/2/14 at 06:37am
This is still on the cards. They are scheduled to move to the Aldwych after the play leaves in September. Both Madalena and Marti and meant to stay with the show for the transfer.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/2/14 at 06:55am
I wouldn't be surpised if RSC's Wolf Hall/Bring Up The Bodies extends to take in Christmas, this production has already got 3.4m banked, which is a heck of a lot for a play, which is yet to open.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
WestEndmasterclass
Swing
Posted: 4/2/14 at 06:57am
It could do, I do know that a brand new set is currently being made for the Evita Transfer.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/2/14 at 07:02am
Why would they build a new set for a limited West End run when its been touring for years?
WestEndmasterclass
Swing
Posted: 4/2/14 at 07:14am
I am not entirely sure but all i know is that a new set is currently being build. Maybe to make it smaller or more grand for a west end transfer. But the show is selling out at EVERY venue of its tour and making alot of money. At various venues extra dates have been added due to its popular demand
vassey
Stand-by
Posted: 4/2/14 at 08:34am
Its an OK touring production, but very sloppy to be brought into the West End - not a patch on the Elena Roger revival. To be fair, it does have one very nice piece of scenery, but the choreography and staging is an appalling hybrid of the movie and Prince production.
WestEndmasterclass
Swing
Posted: 4/2/14 at 08:47am
Vassey - Have you seen the current production touring? IMO the choreography is alot nicer than the Revival version. Bill Deamer has done a great job and the current cast are fantastic (Marti Pellow might need to work on diction just a bit)

I also think the set is one of the nicest BKL sets currently on tour.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/2/14 at 09:02am
I agree, the touring version is superior to the (in my view) incredibly disappointing West End production.

However MArti as Che just doesnt cut it
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/2/14 at 03:53pm
Hopefully I will see this in a months time at the Orchard, Dartford. I hope it's a lot better than that insipid production of Fiddler on the Roof, that I sae there Saturday night.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
vassey
Stand-by
Posted: 4/3/14 at 03:28am
Yeh I saw the tour with Louise Dearman a few years ago. I recall a scene on a bus where everybody did their best 'bouncing around' acting to copy the scene from the film, and then another where a chorus of women did some half-hearting skirt swishing (its set in Argentina, remember!) Not a patch on the London Revival IMO.
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Posted: 4/6/14 at 04:39am
Its an OK touring production, but very sloppy to be brought into the West End - not a patch on the Elena Roger revival. To be fair, it does have one very nice piece of scenery, but the choreography and staging is an appalling hybrid of the movie and Prince production.

Agreed. The tour is not West End material and I very much doubt ALW actually likes it. That said, his taste in recent years has become increasingly questionable (senility?) so who knows...?!
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/6/14 at 06:50am
The show is in discussions to come in this Autumn and has a few options. I would expect this to come in for a run.
There is also another Webber show that could come in to save a theatre that could be suddenly dark for Summer and Xmas period...

Updated On: 4/6/14 at 06:50 AM
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/6/14 at 09:46am
Cats id guess?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/6/14 at 12:19pm
Wonder what theatre, I'm guessing the Palladium

Message Board