I Can't Sing - can't find an audience

AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/21/14 at 03:45am
Trouble at mill already for X Factor musical. It's time to face, no punters...

The show has just launched, already, a rebrand and performances are due to start next week. The grand circle is already off sale and if you pick up the sun, shake it, you probably see two tickets fall out...!

The get in at the palladium is reportedly very behind schedule and not happy. Ticket sales aren't great. The audience don't know if this is the X Factor on stage, A Harry Hill sketch, a panto or a legit musical. The audience it's aiming for also don't have 300 to spend on 4 tickets for something they think they've seen for free on a Sat night for the past 10 years...

It's going to need rave funny reviews and a massive campaign to fill this one even through to Summer and I hear something down under is planning to waltz into the Palladium if all goes well next year...
TBFL
Featured Actor
Posted: 2/21/14 at 04:07am
Fingers crossed you're referring to Strictly Ballroom!!
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/21/14 at 04:11am
Your sum-up of the marketing situation is (unsurprisingly) astute. Still working at Dewynters, then? :p

I don't have anything to add really, although I haven't seen the rebrand yet so I don't know who they're aiming for now. Could be worse - Betty Blue Eyes went through about four different poster images before the show closed and none of them ever really got it right!

Is Strictly Ballroom a musical or "just" a stage adaptation of the film, do you know?
FireFingers
Stand-by
Posted: 2/21/14 at 07:03am
Hopefully once a few people have seen the show we will know what we're dealing with. Interesting that the load in is overrunning, given how long the Palladium was dark for. I saw a pic of the sound desk set up several weeks ago (haven't seen so many computer screens on any desk... anywhere ever), so know that gear seemed to get in okay. I'm still quite curious about it, but being in Birmingham means I can't just drop down to see it.
TBFL
Featured Actor
Posted: 2/21/14 at 08:12am
http://www.strictlyballroomthemusical.com/

Seeing as there is no compser/lyricist mentioned, I presume they are using the songs from the film or other well known numbers. You cant not have 'Love Is In The Air' I hope its not done in the same way as Dirty Dancing was.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/21/14 at 03:36pm
Having bought a ticket for this I cant help but think this is another Viva Forever. Great potential but likely badly executed and not correctly targeted.
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/21/14 at 04:37pm
Sun Perks (which you get with the Sun's online service) has more tickets to give away. It's for an evening I can't make otherwise I would go out of morbid interest.
wheety1621
Chorus Member
Posted: 2/21/14 at 05:40pm
Thanks for the info, paid 1 to join (can be cancelled before the monthly change hikes up to 8 odd) and got 2 tickets to see it :) saved me at least 40+ as I was going to book some cheap seats during previews :)
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/21/14 at 06:36pm
Reluctant to even give the dreadful Sun a 1, after what they did to the Hillsboro families and hacking Millie Dowlers phone, but business is business, so might have to bite the bullet on this.

Are the tickets free and are they available any night of the week?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/22/14 at 08:04am
D.O.A.
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/22/14 at 02:01pm
They were only on a Tuesday for one night and seem to be gone now. I'll keep a look out for more
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/22/14 at 03:59pm
Did anybody expect this to be a hit? It seems like a really odd topic for a musical and a way too large venue for it.
You taste the silver Sara, you taste the crown, you thirst for blood from the roses in hand, oh you spoil for sash and scepter doing a dance, as they crown you queen of High School Land.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/22/14 at 05:22pm
I did at one point think it would be a huge success.

Paradoxically, the more "interesting" it got, the less successful I thought it would be. I think the frankly stupid sounding story has killed it; although I don't like The X Factor much myself I don't think there's a huge audience for a piss take of it, particularly with Harry Hill's fairly childish sense of humour. But then again, Viva Forever played The X Factor "straighter" and was an enormous flop, so...

Besides, how many people actually know it's an X Factor musical any more? It's called I Can't Sing, of all things! The branding is misjudging its potential audience.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/22/14 at 07:21pm
When I see it in the next couple of weeks, I call it as it is if it a crap, I will call it out, icon the other hand it is excellent I wouldn't hesitate and praise it to the heavens, like I did with Sister Act which are absolutely dreaded, but had a Damascus moment and it turned out to be glorious.

I did say on a thread I done recently, that I wasn't sure who I Can't Sing wars aimed at and the iconic a London Palladium is an hard sell size wise.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/board/readmessage.php?thread=1069042&dt=9&boardid=3

I can't see Simon Cowell and his publicity machine shifting tickets.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/22/14 at 08:54pm
I think Cowell and Stage Entertainment will try and let it run for at least a year unless ticket sales are truly dire,
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/22/14 at 09:06pm
Unless they get evicted, as you say that ticket sales are dire and the landlord wraps the show up, to get something new in for lucrative Christmas.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/22/14 at 09:14pm
Stage Entertainment is quite busy this year not only with I Can't Sing in London and Rocky on Broadway but also Made in Dagenham,

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/22/14 at 09:52pm
Is that the umbrella company for Simon Cowell?
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/23/14 at 04:25pm
No Stage Entertainment are a major theatre production company. Very active in Germany and touring productions. Simon Cowell's Syco entertainment are the co-producer.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/23/14 at 04:42pm
That's right, I seem to remember now, it's owned by a Dutch fellow Joop van den Ende, who has made a to of money opening shows in Holland and Germany, then lost a ton investing that money in a Broadway shows.
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/23/14 at 05:42pm
He also has the greatest name in all of human history.
You taste the silver Sara, you taste the crown, you thirst for blood from the roses in hand, oh you spoil for sash and scepter doing a dance, as they crown you queen of High School Land.
jaqs
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/24/14 at 08:30am
First 2 previews off/postponed.
What is the set that is taking its time?
Even though it's in the palladium I hadn't thought of it having much, figured the studio and the winners hovel, maybe judges houses....
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/24/14 at 01:30pm
Will be very interested to see the set and just how complex or unusual it actually is.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/24/14 at 05:29pm
Apparently who done the measuring up of the London Palladium staging needed shooting, the Palladium stage has proved to be all too small, there is no way they can find a way of fitting Simon Cowell ego on there.
Stewart A
Stand-by
Posted: 2/25/14 at 02:14pm
I always welcome new shows in the west end but the thought of this one fills me with dread.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/25/14 at 03:22pm
Was looking at the rebrand they have done for the show. All the original promotion was clearly I CAN'T SING The X Factor Musical. On the new promotional material they have the removed The X Factor Musical leaving only I CAN'T SING and an X. They are clearly backing away from being associated with the X Factor somewhat and in a recent interview Hill said It 'doesn't really have a hell of a lot to do with The X Factor"

The new marketing is certainly quirky but I'm not sure its a better appeal for theatregoers. From Here To Eternity's recent rebrand way too late after already way before announcing closure gave it a more sexy appeal and in my view better but I'm not sure about this show's.

Page:

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 119 Posts
Great Britain 8 Posts

BWW BLOGS