Mountview's

Wishing Only Wounds
Broadway Star
Has anyone seen this yet? I received comps through a class and went last night and enjoyed it so much that I felt I had to post on here!

I have always been pretty open on my views of Spring Awakening (The Musical); I almost walked out of the Broadway production during the interval. Being a fan of the original Wedekind play, I have given the musical multiple chances but found that much of the original message was lost in the musical version. However, last night I had the pleasure of seeing Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts' Year 3 Graduation production , my opinion on the musical has completely changed. Not only did the production honor the source material *POTENTIAL SPOILER* (for those of you unaware: there is a rape scene in the original play, based on true events. In most productions of the musical, this scene has been made consensual; it not only disrespects the source material, but fails to point out the mindsets and actions of those in Germany society during that time. Unfortunately, most productions choose to mimic to Broadway production when it comes to this. This production made the choice to honor the original material...and it worked.) Furthermore, one of my biggest problems with the [original] musical version of Spring Awakening is that it attempted a Brechtian approach, surely something that Wedekind would've appreciated, but failed to carry it all the way through; it's minimalistic charm was lost through putting on a concert of teenage angst (for me, personally). In this respect, it at times became too normal, something Brecht would never allow. This production was able to be faithful to all the elements of Brechtian theatre, whilst also honoring the source material. I can now say that I quite like Spring Awakening (The Musical). I can only hope that future directors and ensembles take the same risk as Mountview did , because it was quite worth it.

Sorry for the long post, and I'm not sure how many of you actually care, but this production deserves all the attention it can get. I'm really just so thankful someone took the chance to honor the material. For those interested, it runs until Saturday. I've attached a link with the production information.

Spring Awakening
Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08
Updated On: 2/19/14 at 08:19 AM
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Mountview's
Posted: 2/19/14 at 09:00am
It sounds like an interesting production. But it sounds like you missed the point of the original creator's adaptation. In essence it IS a concert of teenage angst, set against this story of sexual confusion of Victorian era German children (whose repression may have allowed them to grow up to be Nazis, something Widekind could obviously never have foreseen). What the musical does is try to connect what these kids were going through with what today's teens go through in regards to sex, to show, nothing really (at all) has changed. Its implicitly Brechtian. The show is using the original text as a springboard; which to me is always much a much more interesting type of adaptation than, say, taking the screenplay of "Legally Blonde" and throwing some songs at it.
Wishing Only Wounds
Broadway Star
Mountview's
Posted: 2/19/14 at 12:39pm
If I didn't get the point, I wouldn't love the piece or have loved this production of the musical. I got what the original production of musical was trying to do... I thought it failed miserably. It's a spotlight on German society during that period and highlights the many of the issues remain; they aren't simply issues of "today" and that what makes the piece so strong. The show is not suppose to be a concert and your response is one of the many reseasons I have problems with the original production. The microphones should be a form of alienation; they're not...I've heard many people say it's "youthful expression." I was not uncomfortable seeing Spring Awakening on Broadway, just irked. That is not what Brecht would've wanted, or Wedekind.

I'd go into more depth, but since you don't even seem to know Wedekind's name, I can't be bothered with it.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Mountview's
Posted: 2/19/14 at 01:05pm
Wishing For Wounds - I know a while ago you said you were looking forward to coming over to London to live for a short while, so now you are here, are you enjoying living in. London? (Sorry about all the rain). Have you seen much theatre while you been here?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
Wishing Only Wounds
Broadway Star
Mountview's
Posted: 2/20/14 at 07:04pm
I am, thank you so much for asking! I really love it here. You know, I was expecting a lot of rain (I just associated it with London) and I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realise just how bad it's been until all the flooding started, and it made headlines. The rain hasn't slowed me down too much, although I'm on my third umbrella!

Yes! Tonight I saw Candide at the Menier Chocolate Factory and it was fantastic. Sheer brilliance...I can't imagine it not transferring to the West End and to Broadway. I'm seeing at least one show per week whilst here. So far, I've seen: Spamalot, Henry V, Billy Elliot, Wicked, Ciphers, Mojo, Happy Days, Blurred Lines, Oh What A Lovely War, Spring Awakening, and now Candide. I have tickets booked for The Mistress Contract and 1984 and I'm planning on seeing some of the bigger West End shows too.

Updated On: 2/20/14 at 07:04 PM

Message Board

Stellar West End 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS